From: horsezip@earthlink.net (jimmy keffer)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: newshosting
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 19:09:24 -0400
 by: jimmy keffer - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 23:09 UTC

anyone here use news hosting as a server their support coun't tell me if
agent's adv setting need set their ie news server creates out of order
etc does anyone know thanks jimmy

Re: newshosting

<4e4tei1i02m8u0oob1nqnklqr2c27hbdgd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5220&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5220

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: newshosting
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 12:48:07 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 00:48 UTC

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 19:09:24 -0400, jimmy keffer wrote:

> anyone here use news hosting as a server their support coun't tell me if
> agent's adv setting need set their ie news server creates out of order
> etc does anyone know thanks jimmy

I am using FortΓ© APN which uses the same Usenet backbone that
Newshosting uses (HW Media). See <https://svgshare.com/i/oti.svg>.

I have that setting turned off. But AIUI the "out of order" thing
may only be important in busy groups where two messages can arrive
on the server at the same instant with at least one of the two
messages cross-posted to two or more groups. That is not a common
situation for me, and I don't know if it actually does apply in that
case. If I suspect a missing header, I find it easier to sample
headers back a little than to have the setting turned on and to keep
dealing with its side-effect (below).

There is an unfortunate side-effect of turning on "The server creates
messages out of order" in Agent. Some time after this setting has
been turned on, not right away but maybe some days later, getting
new headers will become very slow.

When getting new headers becomes slow for this reason, here is how to
fix it:

1. After getting new headers in the group(s)...
2. Temporarily turn off "The server creates messages out of order"
3. Sample a headers in the group, enough to ensure you
have not missed headers since last getting new headers.
When sampling, be sure to put a check-mark in the setting
"Update record of headers that have been retrieved".
This is very important.
4. After the sample headers has completed, turn back on the
setting "The server creates messages out of order".

This is not a permanent fix. You will have to do it again each time
getting new headers becomes slow.

The way Agent handles a news server creating messages out of order is
not the most efficient when used on servers with both long retention
and gaps in the article numbering caused by things other than messages
out of order (e.g., caused by DMCA takedowns).

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

ℕ𝕆𝕃𝕀 𝕀ℝℝ𝕀𝕋𝔸ℝ𝔼 π•ƒπ”Όπ•†β„•π”Όπ•Š

Re: newshosting

<tmquei99r3iruqfgo3jdaemjo6o66r4c51@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5226&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5226

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 10:14:32 -0600
 by: KenW - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 16:14 UTC

<horsezip@earthlink.net> wrote:

>anyone here use news hosting as a server their support coun't tell me if
>agent's adv setting need set their ie news server creates out of order
>etc does anyone know thanks jimmy
Turned off

KenW