From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Upgrading from 1.93 to 4 and converting data files in the process.
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:44:28 -0400
 by: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 17:44 UTC

I've given up, at least for now, on version 1.93 and I'm migrating to
version 4.

And as you can see, I've installed a mini version of 4, but I want to
install again and convert my 1.93 data in the process. The format of
the data has to change to be used by v4, but when I install v4, it
just asks where I want to put it and never asks where the prior
version's data is. The Agent Help file doesn't seem to address this.
This is also a litlte complicated because I moved the data out of the
Users directory to my own Data directory, but I could put a copyt back
there if that is what is needed. ??

Do I just redo the shortcut to point to a copy of the v1.93 data and
it will convert the data when it sees the format is wrong?

----
I'll give Forte credit... When I paid for version 6 ten or twenty
years ago, the code they sent me worked for version 5 and 4 also. I
can imagine some other company not allowing that, or maybe I even saw
it.

I tried 4, 5 and 6, and 6 or 5, I forget which, had some feature I
didn't like, so I'm going to move to 4.

Also it will be nice to be able to send email from Agent again. For
10 or 20 years I used stunnel because v1.93 didn't know about SSL, but
on a new installation a couple years ago, I could never get stunnel
right again, Made me feel stupid. Soon I'll b able to forget those
days. :-)

Re: Upgrading from 1.93 to 4 and converting data files in the process.

<bi94ldai27g2.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5217&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5217

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 17:18:27 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 22:18 UTC

<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> I've given up, at least for now, on version 1.93 and I'm migrating to
> version 4.

Not an issue of Windows 10 where you cross-posted.

> And as you can see, I've installed a mini version of 4,

How would /we/ see the files on the drives in your computer? You
cross-posted to a Windows 10 newsgroup which is where I see your post.
Do the headers in your posts reveal you are using a "mini" version of
Forte Agent? I only see the User-Agent header noting your use of Agent,
but how does that identify you using some "mini" version of Agent?

I thought the last free version of Agent was 3.3. If you're going to
version 4 and paying for it, why not go to the latest 8 version?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort%C3%A9_Agent
"The last free version was 3.3."

Even if you manage to convert v1.93 data to v4 data format, Forte notes
versions 7 and 8 are not compatible with prior versions, so you'd have
to convert again.

> but I want to install again and convert my 1.93 data in the process.
> The format of the data has to change to be used by v4, but when I
> install v4, it just asks where I want to put it and never asks where
> the prior version's data is. The Agent Help file doesn't seem to
> address this. This is also a litlte complicated because I moved the
> data out of the Users directory to my own Data directory, but I could
> put a copyt back there if that is what is needed. ??
>
> Do I just redo the shortcut to point to a copy of the v1.93 data and
> it will convert the data when it sees the format is wrong?

Did you configure Agent to save your data other than the location that
Agent would use by default? If so, I would think you could configure v4
of Agent to also use a different store location, and point it at your
"own Data directory".

I haven't yet found mention that data needs to get reformatted between
1.93 and 4 versions of Agent. Seems the problem is that v4 isn't
looking where you told v1.93 to save data.

"The format of the data has to change to be used by v4". I have not
found that mentioned, so where did you see it mentioned?

https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#FB2FADAC1F75A4FA88256C1E005A25BB
How do I specify the diretory for Agent's database?

Apparently you can specify the Target path in the shortcut (where to
find the program), but specify a different Start-In path in the
shortcut. Agent will load, but the default directory for that shell
will be what you specify for the Target path. The Start-In attribute
specifies the current working path (default directory) for the shell in
which the program loads.

Althernatively, edit the agent.ini (in the program's directory) to point
at your data store's directory.

The problem with editing the shortcut is that it won't get used if you
should use File Explorer to find the .exe file for Agent, and
double-click on it to run it. Better is to edit the agent.ini file.

Re: Upgrading from 1.93 to 4 and converting data files in the process.

<hatseihfjjuq4bemk0juu9tmdapvan508d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5218&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5218

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 10:46:52 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 22:46 UTC

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:44:28 -0400, NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com wrote:

> I've given up, at least for now, on version 1.93 and I'm migrating to
> version 4.
>
> And as you can see, I've installed a mini version of 4, but I want to
> install again and convert my 1.93 data in the process. The format of
> the data has to change to be used by v4, but when I install v4, it
> just asks where I want to put it and never asks where the prior
> version's data is. The Agent Help file doesn't seem to address this.

A. You configure the shortcut to tell Agent where the data folder is.
This is addressed in these places in the Agent 4.2 help file:

1) Help >> Index >> Multiple copies >> Agent Configuration Options

2) Help >> Index >> Multiple copies >> Running Multiple Copies of Agent

3) Help >> Index >> Data Folder (or Data Directory) >> How to Move the Data Folder

And also addressed in these places in the Agent Newsreader FAQ:

4) "I installed Agent and now my data is gone. How can I fix this?"
<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#26501B0F77F18C5285257B91000A857C>

5) "How do I specify the directory for Agent's database?"
<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#FB2FADAC1F75A4FA88256C1E005A25BB>

6) "How do I move Agent to a new location"
<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#15453168AAE83AE985256C21004DAABF>

7) "I already have Agent installed. How do I move just my Agent data directory to a larger hard drive?."
<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#084B3D255F8D5BF885257AD400781EBC>

> This is also a litlte complicated because I moved the data out of the
> Users directory to my own Data directory, but I could put a copyt back
> there if that is what is needed. ??

Yes. Just don't put the data anywhere inside Program Files or
Program Files (x86).

> Do I just redo the shortcut to point to a copy of the v1.93 data and
> it will convert the data when it sees the format is wrong?

Yes, that is it.

> ----
> I'll give Forte credit... When I paid for version 6 ten or twenty
> years ago, the code they sent me worked for version 5 and 4 also. I
> can imagine some other company not allowing that, or maybe I even saw
> it.
>
> I tried 4, 5 and 6, and 6 or 5, I forget which, had some feature I
> didn't like, so I'm going to move to 4.

FYI, Agent 2.0 is the Agent version which is most like 1.93 but is also
DEP compatible.

> Also it will be nice to be able to send email from Agent again. For
> 10 or 20 years I used stunnel because v1.93 didn't know about SSL, but
> on a new installation a couple years ago, I could never get stunnel
> right again, Made me feel stupid. Soon I'll b able to forget those
> days. :-)

If you plan to use SSL with email in Agent, these days you will
most likely need to make the small configuration change to Agent
described in this post:

* Google Groups: <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/mJmtMSUqp6M>
* Narkive: <https://alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.narkive.com/35h3yv8s/notice-agent-and-ssl>
* Usenet: <news:p8hpuglnb0tot2oot3ob7m8n1k940kfgcl@4ax.com>

Without this configuration change, the highest version of SSL
which Agent will use is TLS1.0. These days many email providers
require a minimum of TLS1.2.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

“Fer from eȝe, fer from herte,” quoþ Hendyng.

Re: Upgrading from 1.93 to 4 and converting data files in the process.

<atgteituct6gmjaa7sghsmcao8gl47bfeu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5222&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5222

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 00:25:57 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 04:25 UTC

In alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, on Wed, 30 Aug 2023 10:46:52
+1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

> [...]
>> years ago, the code they sent me worked for version 5 and 4 also. I
>> can imagine some other company not allowing that, or maybe I even saw
>> it.
>>
>> I tried 4, 5 and 6, and 6 or 5, I forget which, had some feature I
>> didn't like, so I'm going to move to 4.
>
>FYI, Agent 2.0 is the Agent version which is most like 1.93 but is also
>DEP compatible.
>

>> Also it will be nice to be able to send email from Agent again. For
>> 10 or 20 years I used stunnel because v1.93 didn't know about SSL, but
>> on a new installation a couple years ago, I could never get stunnel
>> right again, Made me feel stupid. Soon I'll b able to forget those
>> days. :-)
>
>If you plan to use SSL with email in Agent, these days you will
>most likely need to make the small configuration change to Agent

I think Erols still has without SSL and also with SSL, but I will read
these posts and probably go for SSL.

>Without this configuration change, the highest version of SSL
>which Agent will use is TLS1.0. These days many email providers
>require a minimum of TLS1.2.

SUCCESS! It went very smoothly. While there were a lot of
differences trying to do a setup from scratch, when I did this overlay,
I didn't have to learn much for it to work just like 1.93.

And it copied all the settings that I could have copied by hand if I'd
been able to open 1.93.

Thanks again Ralph. Did I say here, or where you might have seen it
that I coudln't find the install program for 1.93, since it doesn't
include the word agent, only an a!!! Until I read a post of your on the
web from 16 years ago. You are immortal.