Beam me up, Scotty! It ate my phaser!

devel / comp.sys.acorn.networking / Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08

SubjectAuthor
* Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08Dave
+* Re: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08Brian Howlett
|`- Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08News
`* Re: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08Bob Latham
 `* Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08Dave
  `* Re: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08Dave
   `* Re: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08Bob Latham
    `- Re: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08Dave

1
Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08

<5b22ab3d53dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=520&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#520

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:58:36 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:58 UTC

Good day...
I've transferred this subject over from the RPCEmu mailing list as it's a
bit more of a problem than I first considered, and not limited to RPCEmu.

VRPC-DL RISC OS 6.20 running on a Win10 Pro PC fully updated. (Named BF)

VRPC-DL running RISC OS 4.39

RPCEmu 0.9.4 Running RISC OS 5.29

07:22:13.72 ** WimpError ** from LanMan98 Filer
Error : &00000000
Message: Insufficient server memory to perform the requested function.

What is it, and how to fix it?

Dave

I've done a lot of testing, and all Virtual Acorn installs on this
machine,(BF) be it VRPC or RPCEmu all fail in certain circumstances with
the above noted error.

In the past, they worked okay.

On this machine (BF) It will *not* connect to the Win Host C drive, nor
the two additional D and X drives.

(BF) LanMan98 will connect with the three other machines and their drives
okay on the house LAN, each one is running Win 10 Pro.

On the other three machines the LanMan98 connections between each of those
machines, to Win side works correctly.

The LM98 on each of those machines will connect to its Host C drive, and
any other drives if a machine has more than one, as well as to each other.

It's only when LanMan98 on any of the other three machines attempts to
connect with this machine (BF), the above noted error presents.

?

D.

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08

<78e4d0225b.BrianNews@brianhowlett.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=521&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#521

From: news-spamtrap@brianhowlett.me.uk (Brian Howlett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: Re: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 22:49:52 GMT
 by: Brian Howlett - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 22:49 UTC

On 14 Jan, Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

[much snippage]

> how to fix it?

Have you got File and printer sharing enabled in the network card
properties on the misbehaving PC?
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
Foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: 1. get a huge block of

Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08

<5b2304d2c3news@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=522&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#522

From: news@triffid.co.uk (News)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 08:17:05 +0000 (GMT)
 by: News - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 08:17 UTC

In article <78e4d0225b.BrianNews@brianhowlett.me.uk>,
Brian Howlett <news-spamtrap@brianhowlett.me.uk> wrote:
> On 14 Jan, Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> [much snippage]

> > how to fix it?

> Have you got File and printer sharing enabled in the network card
> properties on the misbehaving PC?

Yes!

Dave

Re: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08

<5b230e7aaabob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=523&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#523

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:02:34 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Bob Latham - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:02 UTC

In article <5b22ab3d53dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> 07:22:13.72 ** WimpError ** from LanMan98 Filer
> Error : &00000000
> Message: Insufficient server memory to perform the requested function.

> What is it, and how to fix it?

I think the PC is giving the error.
Have you looked at IRPStacksize on the PC you're trying to connect to?

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

If set too low or indeed too high this can cause issues like this.
Mine is set to REG_DWORD 0x0000001e (30)
It works fine.

You'll need to use regedit.

Hope that helps.

Bob.

Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08

<5b23440e2bdave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=524&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#524

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:47:45 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:47 UTC

In article <5b230e7aaabob@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <5b22ab3d53dave@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > 07:22:13.72 ** WimpError ** from LanMan98 Filer Error : &00000000
> > Message: Insufficient server memory to perform the requested
> > function.

> > What is it, and how to fix it?

> I think the PC is giving the error. Have you looked at IRPStacksize on
> the PC you're trying to connect to?

> Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

> If set too low or indeed too high this can cause issues like this. Mine
> is set to REG_DWORD 0x0000001e (30) It works fine.

> You'll need to use regedit.

> Hope that helps.
> Bob.

Oh dear, oh dear, builder's expletives... Gordon Bennett...

The number of times, over the years on various other computers I've had to
adjust the IRPStacksize for LanmanServer. :-/

Old age and a pudding brain I'd forgotten all about it, even though I have
it noted in my old reference notes.

Problem now sorted...

Thanks Bob, appreciated.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08

<5b241a5140news@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=525&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#525

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:48:04 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:48 UTC

In article <5b23440e2bdave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> Oh dear, oh dear, builder's expletives... Gordon Bennett...

> The number of times, over the years on various other computers I've had
> to adjust the IRPStacksize for LanmanServer. :-/

> Old age and a pudding brain I'd forgotten all about it, even though I
> have it noted in my old reference notes.

> Problem now sorted...

> Thanks Bob, appreciated.

> Dave

A footnote.

I've now checked and re-set where applicable all the Win machines we have
and they now all do the LM98 business okay.

Dave

Re: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08

<5b241ef193bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=526&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#526

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:38:36 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Bob Latham - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:38 UTC

In article <5b241a5140news@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> I've now checked and re-set where applicable all the Win machines
> we have and they now all do the LM98 business okay.

Just out of interest what value are you setting? I use 30 &1E.

Bob.

Re: Message meaning in LanMan98 version 2.08

<5b244e6970dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=527&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#527

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 20:17:05 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 20:17 UTC

In article <5b241ef193bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <5b241a5140news@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > I've now checked and re-set where applicable all the Win machines
> > we have and they now all do the LM98 business okay.

> Just out of interest what value are you setting? I use 30 &1E.

> Bob.

I had all the Win 10 Desktop computers set to decimal 20, but that
obviously was not quite enough, so as per your suggestion I've set them
all at decimal 30 and that seems to be okay. :-)

Interestingly the Acer Notebook (Win 10) registry didn't have any
IRPStacksize entry, so I obviously had to create a new REG_DWORD for it
and that's also set at decimal 30.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid