Ya'll hear about the geometer who went to the beach to catch some rays and became a tangent ?

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

SubjectAuthor
* A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?Ken Blake
+* Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?Ken Blake
|+- Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?John
|`- Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?Ralph Fox
+* Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?Ralph Fox
|`* Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?Ken Blake
| `* Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?Ken Blake
|  `* Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?Ken Blake
|   `- Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?Ralph Fox
`* Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?The Horny Goat
 `- Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?james moffat

1
A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

<tduflh9josp9hrao6avkttqic2q0r8cq14@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4459&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4459

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:05:06 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:05 UTC

I'm using Agent 6.0. Sometimes I mark a newsgroup message unread
after I've read it, since I normally only view unread messages. But
then if I later return to the newsgroup, I often accidentally click on
it and it becomes read again and I have to re-mark it unread.

I don't think there's any way to mark a message as permanently read
(permanent until I click on something else for it), but if someone
knows a way, I'd like hear about it.

Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

<mvvflhl9vb422k5kj4imf1cv83quq7dfpu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4460&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4460

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:27:13 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:27 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:05:06 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>I'm using Agent 6.0. Sometimes I mark a newsgroup message unread
>after I've read it, since I normally only view unread messages. But
>then if I later return to the newsgroup, I often accidentally click on
>it and it becomes read again and I have to re-mark it unread.
>
>I don't think there's any way to mark a message as permanently read
>(permanent until I click on something else for it), but if someone
>knows a way, I'd like hear about it.

A somewhat related question: I also don't think there's a way to mark
all the messages in a thread as unread, but if someone knows a way,
I'd like hear about it.

Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

<6o2glh5en673vkfi3am0ehq8ig19epdiu8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4461&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4461

From: john.geneal@googlemail.com (John)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 17:15:50 +0100
 by: John - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 16:15 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:27:13 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:05:06 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm using Agent 6.0. Sometimes I mark a newsgroup message unread
> >after I've read it, since I normally only view unread messages. But
> >then if I later return to the newsgroup, I often accidentally click on
> >it and it becomes read again and I have to re-mark it unread.
> >
> >I don't think there's any way to mark a message as permanently read
> >(permanent until I click on something else for it), but if someone
> >knows a way, I'd like hear about it.

Would marking it Keep help, "k"

> A somewhat related question: I also don't think there's a way to mark
> all the messages in a thread as unread, but if someone knows a way,
> I'd like hear about it.

Select a messagein the folder, Ctr-a, x or maybe Ctr-a, x, x
Which depends on read/unread state of messages

--
Regards

John

Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

<tf7glhl4vifc06lsub61u0g95uhjelhfje@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4462&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4462

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 06:41:43 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 17:41 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:05:06 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> I'm using Agent 6.0. Sometimes I mark a newsgroup message unread
> after I've read it, since I normally only view unread messages. But
> then if I later return to the newsgroup, I often accidentally click on
> it and it becomes read again and I have to re-mark it unread.
>
> I don't think there's any way to mark a message as permanently read
> (permanent until I click on something else for it), but if someone
> knows a way, I'd like hear about it.

No, but there is another way to keep those messages in your view.

1. Mark the message as 'Kept'.
2. Use a view of 'unread or kept', instead of only viewing 'unread'
messages.
3. You will probably need to add the 'unread or kept' view to Agent's
list of views. Do that like in this screen-shot:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_tduflh_agent-view--unread-or-kept.png>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

ζητεῖτε καὶ εὑρήσετε

Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

<q18glhdri3mccdgbga69oq6fnqvk7cth55@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4463&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4463

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 06:52:04 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 17:52 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:27:13 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> A somewhat related question: I also don't think there's a way to mark
> all the messages in a thread as unread, but if someone knows a way,
> I'd like hear about it.

When the thread is collapsed, the 'x' key will toggle the entire
thread to 'read' or 'unread'. If pressing 'x' once makes the
entire thread 'read', press 'x' again to make the thread 'unread'.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

𝔒𝔫𝔠𝔢 𝔢𝔞𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔢𝔞𝔯, 𝔄𝔪𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔠𝔞𝔫 𝔠𝔥𝔦𝔩𝔡𝔯𝔢𝔫 𝔤𝔬 𝔦𝔫 𝔡𝔦𝔰𝔤𝔲𝔦𝔰𝔢 𝔱𝔬 𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯'𝔰 𝔥𝔬𝔲𝔰𝔢𝔰
𝔴𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢 𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔶 𝔞𝔯𝔢 𝔤𝔦𝔳𝔢𝔫 3,7-𝔡𝔦𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔥𝔶𝔩𝔵𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔢.

Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

<qteglhh0tps3oai6k0setn8c334dk7gp0b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4464&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4464

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:53:35 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 19:53 UTC

On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 06:41:43 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:05:06 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> I'm using Agent 6.0. Sometimes I mark a newsgroup message unread
>> after I've read it, since I normally only view unread messages. But
>> then if I later return to the newsgroup, I often accidentally click on
>> it and it becomes read again and I have to re-mark it unread.
>>
>> I don't think there's any way to mark a message as permanently read
>> (permanent until I click on something else for it), but if someone
>> knows a way, I'd like hear about it.
>

>No, but there is another way to keep those messages in your view.
>
> 1. Mark the message as 'Kept'.
> 2. Use a view of 'unread or kept', instead of only viewing 'unread'
> messages.
> 3. You will probably need to add the 'unread or kept' view to Agent's
> list of views. Do that like in this screen-shot:
> <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_tduflh_agent-view--unread-or-kept.png>

OK, I created a view called Unread or Kept and I checked the Unread
and Kept boxes in Manage Views for that view. I've set all the
messages in this thread to kept, but if I switch to that view, it
shows no messages. What am I doing wrong?

Also, assuming that I can get past the above problem with your help,
how do I then put an Icon for Unread or Kept on the toolbar?

Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

<amfglh5lcm8g3br5sk2t1mnn644hr27hfp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4465&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4465

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:56:23 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 19:56 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:53:35 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 06:41:43 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:05:06 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using Agent 6.0. Sometimes I mark a newsgroup message unread
>>> after I've read it, since I normally only view unread messages. But
>>> then if I later return to the newsgroup, I often accidentally click on
>>> it and it becomes read again and I have to re-mark it unread.
>>>
>>> I don't think there's any way to mark a message as permanently read
>>> (permanent until I click on something else for it), but if someone
>>> knows a way, I'd like hear about it.
>>

>>No, but there is another way to keep those messages in your view.
>>
>> 1. Mark the message as 'Kept'.
>> 2. Use a view of 'unread or kept', instead of only viewing 'unread'
>> messages.
>> 3. You will probably need to add the 'unread or kept' view to Agent's
>> list of views. Do that like in this screen-shot:
>> <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_tduflh_agent-view--unread-or-kept.png>
>

>OK, I created a view called Unread or Kept and I checked the Unread
>and Kept boxes in Manage Views for that view. I've set all the
>messages in this thread to kept, but if I switch to that view, it
>shows no messages. What am I doing wrong?

In Manage Views, I just went to Advanced View and changed the Boolean
expression to what's shown on the web page. It now works. Thanks very
much.

>Also, assuming that I can get past the above problem with your help,

OK, I did.

>how do I then put an Icon for Unread or Kept on the toolbar?

Can you tell me how to do that?

Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

<jbgglhl9h5qln7lnq19h9mg7kb1orti8vu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4466&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4466

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 13:08:42 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 20:08 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:56:23 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:53:35 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 06:41:43 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>No, but there is another way to keep those messages in your view.
>>>
>>> 1. Mark the message as 'Kept'.
>>> 2. Use a view of 'unread or kept', instead of only viewing 'unread'
>>> messages.
>>> 3. You will probably need to add the 'unread or kept' view to Agent's
>>> list of views. Do that like in this screen-shot:
>>> <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_tduflh_agent-view--unread-or-kept.png>
>>

>>OK, I created a view called Unread or Kept and I checked the Unread
>>and Kept boxes in Manage Views for that view. I've set all the
>>messages in this thread to kept, but if I switch to that view, it
>>shows no messages. What am I doing wrong?
>
>In Manage Views, I just went to Advanced View and changed the Boolean
>expression to what's shown on the web page. It now works. Thanks very
>much.
>

>>Also, assuming that I can get past the above problem with your help,
>
>OK, I did.
>

>>how do I then put an Icon for Unread or Kept on the toolbar?
>
>Can you tell me how to do that?

Never mind. I found it in Options.

But now two more questions:

1. The icon is identified with the numeral 5. Can I change it to
something else.

2. New messages are now coming in with just headers but without
bodies. Can I change it to their always coming in with bodies, which
is the way it used to work?

Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

<6tkhlhptk1nldhk7hoka994getgfl6s7s2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4467&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4467

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 20:00:18 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 07:00 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 13:08:42 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> But now two more questions:
>
> 1. The icon is identified with the numeral 5. Can I change it to
> something else.

Use a resource editor, for example 'Resource Hacker', to edit the
agent.exe file and replace the bitmap resource named "CM_MSGVIEW5"
with another 18×18 bitmap of your choosing.

> 2. New messages are now coming in with just headers but without
> bodies. Can I change it to their always coming in with bodies, which
> is the way it used to work?

Creating a new "View" will not change this.

If new messages were automatically retrieved *with* bodies before, then
you would have been using one of these:

A) Either, a check-mark in the setting
[ ] Retrieve bodies for all new messages
in one of these three places:

i. Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Messages
ii. (select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Messages
iii. Folder >> Property Schemes >> (select scheme) >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Messages

B) Or, you have a Usenet filter with a 'Watch action' of "Retrieve body immediately".
This will only retrieve bodies for messages which match the filter and do not
match a higher-priority filter.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Betere is eyesor þen al blynd, quoþ Hendyng.

Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

<nbf8eiplli07imbrm81kpqt6uja2vfnlje@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5177&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5177

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 21:47:12 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 04:47 UTC

wrote:

>I'm using Agent 6.0. Sometimes I mark a newsgroup message unread
>after I've read it, since I normally only view unread messages. But
>then if I later return to the newsgroup, I often accidentally click on
>it and it becomes read again and I have to re-mark it unread.
>
>I don't think there's any way to mark a message as permanently read
>(permanent until I click on something else for it), but if someone
>knows a way, I'd like hear about it.

The easiest way is to select all (control-A) then X to flip everything
from unread to read or vice versa

Is that what you mean?

Re: A Way to Permanently Mark a Message Unread?

<dn4aeihghgm0ppmfoq85ptl9h3ka7icn2g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5186&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5186

From: spam.spam@distributel.net (james moffat)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 14:00:34 -0600
 by: james moffat - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 20:00 UTC

Mark it K for keep. it will still be marked as read ie black vs red
color but won't vanish. Is that what you are looking for?
you may have to change your view to show kept and unread.
Me