"It might help if we ran the MBA's out of Washington." -- Admiral Grace Hopper

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / IMPORT EMAILS

SubjectAuthor
* IMPORT EMAILSkim6329
`* Re: IMPORT EMAILSRalph Fox
 `* Re: IMPORT EMAILSkim6329
  `* Re: IMPORT EMAILSRalph Fox
   +- Re: IMPORT EMAILSkim6329
   `* Re: IMPORT EMAILSkim6329
    `* Re: IMPORT EMAILSRalph Fox
     +- Re: IMPORT EMAILSkim6329
     +* Re: IMPORT EMAILSkim6329
     |`- NO ONE KNOW THIS THEN Re: IMPORT EMAILSkim6329
     `- Re: IMPORT EMAILSkim6329

1
IMPORT EMAILS

<abr8ei9ngbp7eo3486qvojoo4kjq9k0f8r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5178&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5178

From: kim6329@ggg.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: IMPORT EMAILS
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:19:57 +0100
 by: kim6329@ggg.com - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 08:19 UTC

Hi I have 1,500 emails on my btinternet email account.

I can use the program from bt called btcom backup tool.

BUT what format should I use to import into forte agent

When I go to import in agent all I see is TXT , is that the only format that agent takes

Also if there is another way/program that can export them.

The BT BACKUP TOOL is not cheap

Many thanks

Kim

Re: IMPORT EMAILS

<3u29eihk8jrrkuk1faq2qvk1v4t4g0e3pe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5179&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5179

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: IMPORT EMAILS
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 22:32:23 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 10:32 UTC

On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:19:57 +0100, kim6329@ggg.com wrote:

> Hi I have 1,500 emails on my btinternet email account.
>
> I can use the program from bt called btcom backup tool.
>
> BUT what format should I use to import into forte agent
>
> When I go to import in agent all I see is TXT , is that the only format that agent takes

Agent imports MBOX format files.
Agent calls this format the "Unix Message format".

There are several different variants of the MBOX file format.
Agent should be able to successfully import messages from most MBOX
variants.

At Agent's import dialog at "File >> Import and Export >> Import Messages",
there are two choices for 'Files of type'
1) Text Files (*.txt)
2) All Files (*.*)
But either way, the file _must_ be an MBOX format file.

If you want to see the technical details of the import file format,
see this page in the Agent help file:
Help >> Index >> Importing, messages >> Import message File Format

> Also if there is another way/program that can export them.
>
> The BT BACKUP TOOL is not cheap

This could be a question for BT customers (which I am not one).

You can download emails from your BT Inbox into Agent, using the
following settings. But if you have emails in other folders on
the BT mail server, Agent will not get those other emails.

Host name: mail.btinternet.com
The server requires a secure connection: TICKED
Login Method: Simple username and password
Username: your email address including the @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com part
Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password
Advanced settings:
'Use a non-standard POP3 port' should NOT be ticked
'Port' 995 (this should be automatically set to 995 by ticking 'The server requires a secure connection'.

If you need to download emails from your BT Inbox and other folders.
1. If you use Thunderbird and IMAP with BT, you will be able to
download emails from your BT Inbox and other folders into
Thunderbird.
2. There is a way to then get those emails from Thunderbird into
Agent.
This would be a lot cheaper than the BT BACKUP TOOL, but some more
work on your part.
Post back if you want to try this.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

🦊

Re: IMPORT EMAILS

<nsm9ei19qaudhnrq150abc3ulo51ngo5nj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5183&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5183

From: kim6329@ggg.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 17:07:00 +0100
 by: kim6329@ggg.com - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 16:07 UTC

On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 22:32:23 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:19:57 +0100, kim6329@ggg.com wrote:
>
>> Hi I have 1,500 emails on my btinternet email account.
>>
>> I can use the program from bt called btcom backup tool.
>>
>> BUT what format should I use to import into forte agent
>>
>> When I go to import in agent all I see is TXT , is that the only format that agent takes

On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 22:32:23 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>Agent imports MBOX format files.
>Agent calls this format the "Unix Message format".
>
>There are several different variants of the MBOX file format.
>Agent should be able to successfully import messages from most MBOX
>variants.
>

>At Agent's import dialog at "File >> Import and Export >> Import Messages",
>there are two choices for 'Files of type'
> 1) Text Files (*.txt)
> 2) All Files (*.*)
>But either way, the file _must_ be an MBOX format file.
>

>If you want to see the technical details of the import file format,
>see this page in the Agent help file:
> Help >> Index >> Importing, messages >> Import message File Format
>

>> Also if there is another way/program that can export them.
>>
>> The BT BACKUP TOOL is not cheap
>

>This could be a question for BT customers (which I am not one).
>

>You can download emails from your BT Inbox into Agent, using the
>following settings. But if you have emails in other folders on
>the BT mail server, Agent will not get those other emails.
>
> Host name: mail.btinternet.com
> The server requires a secure connection: TICKED
> Login Method: Simple username and password
> Username: your email address including the @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com part
> Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password
> Advanced settings:
> 'Use a non-standard POP3 port' should NOT be ticked
> 'Port' 995 (this should be automatically set to 995 by ticking 'The server requires a secure connection'.
>

>If you need to download emails from your BT Inbox and other folders.
> 1. If you use Thunderbird and IMAP with BT, you will be able to
> download emails from your BT Inbox and other folders into
> Thunderbird.
> 2. There is a way to then get those emails from Thunderbird into
> Agent.
>This would be a lot cheaper than the BT BACKUP TOOL, but some more
>work on your part.
>Post back if you want to try this.

Thank you Ralph,

Thank you for getting back to me and very good detail.

Yes please I would like to do the Thunderbird way.

Kind Regards

Kim

Re: IMPORT EMAILS

<9ulbeil8kksov4etd02p9nqiprhcn3f0gk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5191&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5191

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 21:57:05 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 09:57 UTC

On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 17:07:00 +0100, kim6329@ggg.com wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 22:32:23 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:19:57 +0100, kim6329@ggg.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi I have 1,500 emails on my btinternet email account.
>>>
>>> I can use the program from bt called btcom backup tool.
>>>
>>> BUT what format should I use to import into forte agent
>>>
>>> When I go to import in agent all I see is TXT , is that the only format that agent takes
>
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 22:32:23 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Agent imports MBOX format files.
>> Agent calls this format the "Unix Message format".
>>
>> There are several different variants of the MBOX file format.
>> Agent should be able to successfully import messages from most MBOX
>> variants.
>>

>> At Agent's import dialog at "File >> Import and Export >> Import Messages",
>> there are two choices for 'Files of type'
>> 1) Text Files (*.txt)
>> 2) All Files (*.*)
>> But either way, the file _must_ be an MBOX format file.
>>

>> If you want to see the technical details of the import file format,
>> see this page in the Agent help file:
>> Help >> Index >> Importing, messages >> Import message File Format
>>

>>> Also if there is another way/program that can export them.
>>>
>>> The BT BACKUP TOOL is not cheap
>>

>> This could be a question for BT customers (which I am not one).
>>

>> You can download emails from your BT Inbox into Agent, using the
>> following settings. But if you have emails in other folders on
>> the BT mail server, Agent will not get those other emails.
>>
>> Host name: mail.btinternet.com
>> The server requires a secure connection: TICKED
>> Login Method: Simple username and password
>> Username: your email address including the @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com part
>> Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password
>> Advanced settings:
>> 'Use a non-standard POP3 port' should NOT be ticked
>> 'Port' 995 (this should be automatically set to 995 by ticking 'The server requires a secure connection'.
>>

>> If you need to download emails from your BT Inbox and other folders.
>> 1. If you use Thunderbird and IMAP with BT, you will be able to
>> download emails from your BT Inbox and other folders into
>> Thunderbird.
>> 2. There is a way to then get those emails from Thunderbird into
>> Agent.
>> This would be a lot cheaper than the BT BACKUP TOOL, but some more
>> work on your part.
>> Post back if you want to try this.
>>

> Thank you Ralph,
>
> Thank you for getting back to me and very good detail.
>
> Yes please I would like to do the Thunderbird way.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Kim

A. For this to work, your BT email account must be accessible by
email applications. (Thunderbird is an email application.)
If you have a Basic email account only accessible by web browser,
you would need to pay BT £7.50/m for Premium Mail.

I do not know how BT.com Backup Tool works. It might have the
same restriction.

B. I will assume you do not have Thunderbird on your computer.
Thunderbird is an email program which can do both IMAP and POP3.
Forté Agent can do POP3 but not IMAP.
To download emails from more folders than your BT Inbox folder,
we will be using Thunderbird's IMAP capability.

C. The first thing to do is to download Thunderbird and install it.
* If you are running Windows 7 or later, download the latest
version 115.x.y of Thunderbird from
<https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/thunderbird/all/>
* If you are running Windows XP or Vista, download Thunderbird
version 52.9.1 from
<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/52.9.1/win32/>

D. When you first start Thunderbird, Thunderbird will ask you to
set up your email account.

Enter the details for your BT email account and click 'Continue'.
screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_nsm9ei_1__set-up-thunderbird-for-bt-interrnet.png>

If you entered your BT email address above, Thunderbird should
automatically find the correct settings.
screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_nsm9ei_2__set-up-thunderbird-for-bt-interrnet.png>

Make sure that IMAP is selected above, not POP3.
Click 'Done'.

Thunderbird's folders pane should now show your BT email account
together with all your BT email folders under it. Similar to this.
screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_nsm9ei_3__set-up-thunderbird-for-bt-interrnet.png>

IMPORTANT

When using IMAP, whatever you do to an email on your computer is
also done to the email on the server.

* If you delete an email in an email account folder where the
email account is using IMAP, the email is also deleted on
the email server.
* If you remove an email from an email account folder where
the email account is using IMAP, the email is also removed
from the folder on the email server.

This is quite different to an email account using POP3, like
what Agent uses.
Be careful that you do not do something which could lose emails
that you want to keep.

D. The next thing to do is to download all your BT emails into
Thunderbird.

For each folder in your BT email account in Thunderbird,

1. Right-click on the folder and select 'Properties'
screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_nsm9ei_4__download-messages-into-thunderbird.png>

2. On the 'Retention Policy' tab, make sure 'Don't delete any
messages' is selected.
screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_nsm9ei_5__download-messages-into-thunderbird.png>

3. On the 'Synchronisation' tab, make sure 'Select this folder
for offline use' is ticked and click 'Download Now'.
screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_nsm9ei_6__download-messages-into-thunderbird.png>

E. As for getting these emails from Thunderbird into Agent.

Each email folder in Thunderbird will corresponds to two files on
your hard drive, a file with no extension and a file with a .msf
extension.

The file with no extension is an MBOX file which you can try to
import into Agent. The catch with IMAP is that Thunderbird IMAP
accounts (only) use a different MBOX format which is not 100%
compatible with importing into Agent. You can try to import the
MBOX file directly from an IMAP account into Agent and most emails
will import correctly, but a few emails may be cut off part way
through.

The way to get around this is:
1. Create a new folder inside "Local Folders". "Local Folders"
is a Thunderbird special account with no server.
2. _Copy_ the emails from the IMAP folder into the folder inside
"Local Folders".
*** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT ***
Copy, don't move. If you _move_ the emails out of the IMAP
account the emails will also be removed on the server.
You don't want to burn your bridges yet, in case you need to
try or do something else.
3. Import the MBOX file for the folder inside "Local Folders".

The MBOX files for "Local Folders" and POP3 accounts can be
imported into Agent without the problem of some emails being cut
off part way through.

F. To find the two files for a folder so you can import the
one which is an MBOX file (the file with no extension).

1. Select the account itself in Thunderbird's folders pane and
click "Account settings" at right of the right-hand pane.

2. For "Local Folders", scroll down the Account Settings panel
to find what it says for "Local Directory".

For an IMAP account, select the Server Settings panel at
the left and then scroll down the Server Settings panel to
find what it says for "Local Directory".

3. If an email folder is directly under the account, the two
files will be directly inside the local directory.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: IMPORT EMAILS

<s0pceihlhl7e574l193ck4k3ddbk9pfovb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5192&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5192

From: kim6329@ggg.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 00:04:44 +0100
 by: kim6329@ggg.com - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 23:04 UTC

On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 21:57:05 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

> [...]
>
> 2. For "Local Folders", scroll down the Account Settings panel
> to find what it says for "Local Directory".
>
> For an IMAP account, select the Server Settings panel at
> the left and then scroll down the Server Settings panel to
> find what it says for "Local Directory".
>
> 3. If an email folder is directly under the account, the two
> files will be directly inside the local directory.
>
> Note: if the folder is empty then there may be no MBOX file.
>
> 4. Where there is a nested email folder, there will be a hard
> drive folder with a .sbd extension and with the two files
> inside it.
>

> One final thing to be aware of. If you delete an email in
> Thunderbird, don't compact the email folder in Thunderbird, and
> then import the email folder's MBOX file into Agent, it is likely
> that the deleted email will be imported into Agent as if it had

<9uh6fih9rttmek7i1f9m1o8ec8f1o18b9n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5234&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5234

From: kim6329@ggg.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 15:43:08 +0100
 by: kim6329@ggg.com - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 14:43 UTC

> [...]

> 2. For "Local Folders", scroll down the Account Settings panel
> to find what it says for "Local Directory".
>
> For an IMAP account, select the Server Settings panel at
> the left and then scroll down the Server Settings panel to
> find what it says for "Local Directory".
>
> 3. If an email folder is directly under the account, the two
> files will be directly inside the local directory.
>
> Note: if the folder is empty then there may be no MBOX file.
>
> 4. Where there is a nested email folder, there will be a hard
> drive folder with a .sbd extension and with the two files
> inside it.
>

> One final thing to be aware of. If you delete an email in
> Thunderbird, don't compact the email folder in Thunderbird, and
> then import the email folder's MBOX file into Agent, it is likely
> that the deleted email will be imported into Agent as if it had

<hec7fitcmofl70h5ga6lkfk8c4fug14orc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5235&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5235

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 10:17:32 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 22:17 UTC

On Sat, 02 Sep 2023 15:43:08 +0100, kim6329@ggg.com wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 21:57:05 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>> 1. Create a new folder inside "Local Folders". "Local Folders"
>> is a Thunderbird special account with no server.
>> 2. _Copy_ the emails from the IMAP folder into the folder inside
>> "Local Folders".
>> *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT ***
>> Copy, don't move. If you _move_ the emails out of the IMAP
>> account the emails will also be removed on the server.
>> You don't want to burn your bridges yet, in case you need to
>> try or do something else.
>> 3. Import the MBOX file for the folder inside "Local Folders".
>

> I have found the MBOX file and YES agent does import okay BUT had to stop it as there are OVER 376
> THOUSAND EMAILS IN IT
>
> So what I'm asking now is there any way I can just select 6 months inside Thai MBOX file
>
> Then import to Agent

Copy only 6 months of emails into the folder inside "Local Folders".

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: IMPORT EMAILS

<rpi8fihi07cum4amlhidodqf6l59gimrdd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5236&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5236

From: kim6329@ggg.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 10:05:36 +0100
 by: kim6329@ggg.com - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 09:05 UTC

On Sun, 03 Sep 2023 10:17:32 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>Copy only 6 months of emails into the folder inside "Local Folders".

Thank you Ralph.

Done that BUT when I click get new emails it STILL keeps trying to download ALL 374,000 emails

Is there any way I can tell agent to update so it sees that it has downloaded all those emails and
only download most up to date ones ?

Kim

Re: IMPORT EMAILS

<ro9cfitvui0gu9ne5dgcr6qp4ke91pamtd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5237&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5237

From: kim6329@ggg.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 19:51:31 +0100
 by: kim6329@ggg.com - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:51 UTC

>On Sat, 02 Sep 2023 15:43:08 +0100, kim6329@ggg.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 21:57:05 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Create a new folder inside "Local Folders". "Local Folders"
>>> is a Thunderbird special account with no server.
>>> 2. _Copy_ the emails from the IMAP folder into the folder inside
>>> "Local Folders".
>>> *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT ***
>>> Copy, don't move. If you _move_ the emails out of the IMAP
>>> account the emails will also be removed on the server.
>>> You don't want to burn your bridges yet, in case you need to
>>> try or do something else.
>>> ************************************************************
>>> 3. Import the MBOX file for the folder inside "Local Folders".
>>

>> I have found the MBOX file and YES agent does import okay BUT had to stop it as there are OVER 376
>> THOUSAND EMAILS IN IT
>>
>> So what I'm asking now is there any way I can just select 6 months inside Thai MBOX file
>>
>> Then import to Agent

On Sun, 03 Sep 2023 10:17:32 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>Copy only 6 months of emails into the folder inside "Local Folders".

Thank you Ralph.

Done that BUT when I click get new emails it STILL keeps trying to download ALL 374,000 emails

Is there any way I can tell agent to update so it sees that it has downloaded all those emails and
only download most up to date ones ?

Kim

Re: IMPORT EMAILS

<gt9cfid196rbd82udplvvfokil5kq7ch7u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5238&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5238

From: kim6329@ggg.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 19:53:58 +0100
 by: kim6329@ggg.com - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:53 UTC

>On Sat, 02 Sep 2023 15:43:08 +0100, kim6329@ggg.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 21:57:05 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Create a new folder inside "Local Folders". "Local Folders"
>>> is a Thunderbird special account with no server.
>>> 2. _Copy_ the emails from the IMAP folder into the folder inside
>>> "Local Folders".
>>> *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT ***
>>> Copy, don't move. If you _move_ the emails out of the IMAP
>>> account the emails will also be removed on the server.
>>> You don't want to burn your bridges yet, in case you need to
>>> try or do something else.
>>> ************************************************************
>>> 3. Import the MBOX file for the folder inside "Local Folders".
>>

>> I have found the MBOX file and YES agent does import okay BUT had to stop it as there are OVER 376
>> THOUSAND EMAILS IN IT
>>
>> So what I'm asking now is there any way I can just select 6 months inside Thai MBOX file
>>
>> Then import to Agent

On Sun, 03 Sep 2023 10:17:32 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>Copy only 6 months of emails into the folder inside "Local Folders".

Thank you Ralph.

Done that BUT when I click get new emails it STILL keeps trying to download ALL 374,000 emails

Is there any way I can tell agent to update so it sees that it has downloaded all those emails and
only download most up to date ones ?

Kim

NO ONE KNOW THIS THEN Re: IMPORT EMAILS

<mn8gfi92onovgsfr3mth75d0eoch98p51e@4ax.com>