From: croberts@gmail.com (Charlie Roberts)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: (Slightly) OT: NZBGet vs Agent
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:42:17 -0400
 by: Charlie Roberts - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:42 UTC

A while back I posted about getting files larger
than the 4 GB limit set for Agent. (The file I
needed was a smidgen over the limit.)

I was directed to NZBGet and SABnbzd and I
found NZBget very easy to set up (there is a
great tutorial file at

https://trash-guides.info/Downloaders/NZBGet/Basic-Setup/

)

and was able to download the file. I liked it so
much that I now exclusively use it to download
anything that has an associated NBZ file.
The reason is that it is *way* faster than Agent.

Can anyone shed some light on why Agent is so
slow compared with NZBGet?

I have not used SABnzbd, but I assume it is just
as fast as NZBGet.

Thanks.

cr

Re: (Slightly) OT: NZBGet vs Agent

<nse4eip831foqj7uniovaeurhqu5t2vtkv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5169&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5169

Date: Sun, 20 Aug 23 16:20:55 UTC
Subject: Re: (Slightly) OT: NZBGet vs Agent
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
From: erw@werwr.invalid (SoWhat)
 by: SoWhat - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 16:20 UTC

On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:42:17 -0400, Charlie Roberts
<croberts@gmail.com> wrote:

>Can anyone shed some light on why Agent is so
>slow compared with NZBGet?

Most likely you didn't check options:

Default properties for All Folders --> Saving Attachments -->

1: Save all all attachments
2: After saving an attachment, remove it from the message

So you were pushing huge amounts of binary data to Agent's message
database, which kills performance and causes you to run against
Agent's data file size limit (which is not the same thing as maximum
attachment size limit).

Re: (Slightly) OT: NZBGet vs Agent

<o3t6ei9r8k46ec97hsgu18n22h4srmula4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5172&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5172

From: croberts@gmail.com (Charlie Roberts)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 13:23:52 -0400
 by: Charlie Roberts - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 17:23 UTC

On Sun, 20 Aug 23 16:20:55 UTC, SoWhat <erw@werwr.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:42:17 -0400, Charlie Roberts
><croberts@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Can anyone shed some light on why Agent is so
>>slow compared with NZBGet?
>>

>Most likely you didn't check options:
>
>Default properties for All Folders --> Saving Attachments -->
>
>1: Save all all attachments
>2: After saving an attachment, remove it from the message
>
>So you were pushing huge amounts of binary data to Agent's message
>database, which kills performance and causes you to run against
>Agent's data file size limit (which is not the same thing as maximum
>attachment size limit).

From https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php

Note, however, that the maximum number of messages per folder is still
16 million and the maximum size of a single message is still 4
gigabytes.
<<

See?

And you are assuming that I am keeping all the downloads in the
database. Did I say anything like that? See below.

Yes, I did try(hoping it would work!) to download an audio file 4.12
GB in size and Agent 8 failed. Hence my origianl question to the
group for alternates to Agent.

And, you still not answer my primary question. Even with nothing
in the database Agent is way, way slower at downloads that NZBGet.
I would say almost 10 times slower.

I typically immediately deleted downloaded files and so my .DAT files
or rarely more than a few MB.

Still looking for any reason for the HUGE difference if performance.