finlandia:~> apropos win win: nothing appropriate.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.networking / Network printer drivers

SubjectAuthor
* Network printer driversBrian Howlett
`* Re: Network printer driversChris Hughes
 +* Re: Network printer driversAlan Adams
 |`- Re: Network printer driversBrian Howlett
 `- Re: Network printer driversBrian Howlett

1
Network printer drivers

<007cd1215b.BrianNews@brianhowlett.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=515&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#515

From: news-spamtrap@brianhowlett.me.uk (Brian Howlett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: Network printer drivers
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:20:08 GMT
 by: Brian Howlett - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:20 UTC

Hi all.

Putting this out here first in case anyone else has had the same issue,
and knows how to fix it, otherwise I'll email R-Comp...

I haven't printed from RISC OS for a while, but now when I try to print
over the network, using the PS3 driver, I get the following error when
trying to select the PS3 icon:

Warning from Printer Manager: Filing system or path lpr: not present

Printers version is 1.85 07-May-16 on RO 5.28 on a TiMachine.

Printer is a Lexmark CX310dn, and it prints fine from Windows.

I've checked the network settings and the printer responds to pings.

I've reinstalled the Network Printer Drivers from R-Comp and reinstalled
the PS3 PDF but can't think of anything else to try. If anyone has any
ideas on this, I'd be glad of your thoughts.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted

Re: Network printer drivers

<960904225b.chris@mytardis>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=516&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#516

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: Re: Network printer drivers
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 09:32:18 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 09:32 UTC

In message <007cd1215b.BrianNews@brianhowlett.me.uk>
Brian Howlett <news-spamtrap@brianhowlett.me.uk> wrote:

> Hi all.

> Putting this out here first in case anyone else has had the same issue,
> and knows how to fix it, otherwise I'll email R-Comp...

> I haven't printed from RISC OS for a while, but now when I try to print
> over the network, using the PS3 driver, I get the following error when
> trying to select the PS3 icon:

> Warning from Printer Manager: Filing system or path lpr: not present

> Printers version is 1.85 07-May-16 on RO 5.28 on a TiMachine.

> Printer is a Lexmark CX310dn, and it prints fine from Windows.

> I've checked the network settings and the printer responds to pings.

> I've reinstalled the Network Printer Drivers from R-Comp and reinstalled
> the PS3 PDF but can't think of anything else to try. If anyone has any
> ideas on this, I'd be glad of your thoughts.

Two thoughts, come to mind.

It is not seeing or running the lprDriver module which on my computer is
located !BOOT.Choices.Boot.PreDesk.lprDriver

or

for some reason your lpr setting on the connections window for your
printer in the Printer Manager have become incorrect or lost? Is the Ip
address in the Printer manager for your printer still correct?

As an aside I am running !Printers 1.91 which if IIRC I downloaded from
Packman.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Network printer drivers

<827c1f225b.Alan@alan.adamshome.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=517&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#517

From: alan@adamshome.org.uk (Alan Adams)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 24 20:45:10 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
 by: Alan Adams - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 20:45 UTC

In message <960904225b.chris@mytardis>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <007cd1215b.BrianNews@brianhowlett.me.uk>
> Brian Howlett <news-spamtrap@brianhowlett.me.uk> wrote:

>> Hi all.

>> Putting this out here first in case anyone else has had the same issue,
>> and knows how to fix it, otherwise I'll email R-Comp...

>> I haven't printed from RISC OS for a while, but now when I try to print
>> over the network, using the PS3 driver, I get the following error when
>> trying to select the PS3 icon:

>> Warning from Printer Manager: Filing system or path lpr: not present

>> Printers version is 1.85 07-May-16 on RO 5.28 on a TiMachine.

>> Printer is a Lexmark CX310dn, and it prints fine from Windows.

>> I've checked the network settings and the printer responds to pings.

>> I've reinstalled the Network Printer Drivers from R-Comp and reinstalled
>> the PS3 PDF but can't think of anything else to try. If anyone has any
>> ideas on this, I'd be glad of your thoughts.

> Two thoughts, come to mind.

> It is not seeing or running the lprDriver module which on my computer is
> located !BOOT.Choices.Boot.PreDesk.lprDriver

> or

> for some reason your lpr setting on the connections window for your
> printer in the Printer Manager have become incorrect or lost? Is the Ip
> address in the Printer manager for your printer still correct?

> As an aside I am running !Printers 1.91 which if IIRC I downloaded from
> Packman.

I Also use Network Printer Drivers and PS3.

I have two physical printers, and single and two duplex setups, so 6 icons
in total.

One has the setting "print to file" and the file defined as lpr#M277/raw:
where M277 is the hosts file entry for the for the printer, which is an HP
model.

Check that you can ping whatever replaces M277 in your setup.

--
Alan Adams

Re: Network printer drivers

<49ac59225b.BrianNews@brianhowlett.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=518&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#518

From: news-spamtrap@brianhowlett.me.uk (Brian Howlett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 01:07:40 GMT
 by: Brian Howlett - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 01:07 UTC

On 13 Jan, Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> It is not seeing or running the lprDriver module which on my computer is
> located !BOOT.Choices.Boot.PreDesk.lprDriver

[Snip]

That's the one - there was no lprDriver module in Predesk, so it appears
that the installation program didn't install it correctly. Once I found
the module inside the installer and manually copied it to Predesk I can
now choose the PS3 printer correctly.

The details in the printer control connection settings are correct - one
of the first things I checked.

Thanks for the suggestion.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?

Re: Network printer drivers

<d4025a225b.BrianNews@brianhowlett.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=519&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#519

From: news-spamtrap@brianhowlett.me.uk (Brian Howlett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 01:11:22 GMT
 by: Brian Howlett - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 01:11 UTC

On 13 Jan, Alan Adams <alan@adamshome.org.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> Check that you can ping whatever replaces M277 in your setup.

See my reply to Chris, he came up with the solution, however my connection
shows the printer's IP address rather than matching a hosts file entry.

All now working fine, thanks.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
I put instant coffee in the microwave, and almost went back in time...