From: ud.usenetcorrespondence@web.de (Ulrich D i e z)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Can you download tug.org's documentation for TeX Live 2022?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 23:21:31 +0200
 by: Ulrich D i e z - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 21:21 UTC

Hello!

Is it allowed and - if so - is there an easy way to download
https://tug.org/texlive/index.html etc so that the interlinked
compendium about TeX Live is available offline?

I tried with wget, but I did not yet manage to involve wget
correctly so that it does what I want. ;-)

In case you wish to know why I ask this:

I intend to maintain via rsync within a samba share a local
repository for installing TeX Live 2022 which holds the content
of what is in CTAN's mirrors' directory /systems/texlive/tlnet/ .
I intend to use that samba share for installing TeX Live 2022 on
different platforms in the local network - Linux/Windows;
i386/x86_64 - using install-tl with the option -repository.

Machines in the local network that run under Linux can mount
the samba share, e.g., via cifs.
Machines in the local network that run under windows can map
the samba share to a network-drive.
Then on these machines TeX Live can be installed using
install-tl with the option -repository .
(Passing the IP-Address and the name of the share to the
-repository-option directly did not work out for me for
whatsoever reason.)

[In the past I successfully installed/integrated
Vanilla TeX Live 2020 this way into a live system on bootable
USB stick with binaries for i386 running an x86_64 machine using
install-tl with the options
-repository "mount point of samba share with the local repository"
-force-platform i386-linux ]

Since the knowledge needed to successfully install and integrate
TeX Live on different computer platforms and some prerequisites
(e.g. for creating dummy packages for Debian) can all be found
under https://tug.org/texlive/ , but in different
places/sub-sites, I am interested in obtaining a local copy of
the interlinked compendium.

E.g., with the aforementioned Vanilla TeX Live 2020-install
under debian I needed to look up
- https://tug.org/texlive/index.html (the main site about
TeX Live on tug.org),
- https://tug.org/texlive/doc.html (so-called "complete manual"/
documentation),
- https://tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html (main
documentation/The TeX Live Guide 2022),
- https://tug.org/texlive/doc/install-tl.html (all options of
the install-tl script),
- https://tug.org/texlive/distro.html (integration with operating
system distributions); here you can download prerequisites for
creating dummy-packages for Debian etc.

I cannot foresee what else I need to look up in
https://tug.org/texlive and sub-sites when installing on different
platforms.

I would also like to have these things archived along with the
repository so that I have them available in the future when
they probably are no longer available online.

(The question is whether you will need them at all in those future
times.

I only say: I am often confronted with the task of getting old
devices to work again and it has paid off that I archive
things.)

Sincerely

Ulrich

Re: Can you download tug.org's documentation for TeX Live 2022?

<jlqlilFb57sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5133&group=comp.text.tex#5133

From: nospam@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 00:06:11 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 22:06 UTC

On my Macs I do something much simpler than bothering to clone the
whole CTAN and keeping that current (after the annual upgrade, on
2 Desktops and 2 Laptops)

I first install the small version for the year using Homebrew

brew install basictex

then I pull the packages currently installed on a neighbouring
host and install them (ignoring the error (of already installed
packages))

tlmgr install $(ssh USER@host.sld.TLD \
tlmgr list --only-installed \
| awk '{gsub(/:/, ""); print $2}')

Then I do same on the other side and am done.

I can also do this once in a while to make sure I have all systems
in the same state.

Now I don't know whether you can do something like this on Linux
or Windoze, but I thought I share that (again)

greetings, el

[...]