Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you? -- Patrick Volkerding

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Outgoing Email Fails 80090302

SubjectAuthor
* Outgoing Email Fails 80090302Paul S Person
`* Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302Ralph Fox
 +- Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302jimmy keffer
 +* gmail and agentjimmy keffer
 |`* Re: gmail and agentRalph Fox
 | +- Re: gmail and agentjimmy keffer
 | `* Re: gmail and agentSam
 |  `* Re: gmail and agentRalph Fox
 |   `- Re: gmail and agentjimmy keffer
 `* Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302Paul S Person
  `* Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302jimmy keffer
   `* Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302Paul S Person
    `* Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302Ralph Fox
     `- Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302Paul S Person

1
Outgoing Email Fails 80090302

<d4nicipd2kfs3914gtfgepf4su171dpp1r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5127&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5127

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2023 12:34:45 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 19:34 UTC

Starting about 3 days ago (I don't do outgoing email all that often),
Agent 8.0 started failing to log on to my email provider's SMTP
server. The error cited was 80090302.

Note that Agent 8.0 was successfully uptdated (in the INI file) and
continues to download email just fine.

Researching this online is a nightmare -- apparently, iTunes is
somehow the topic of interest. But this isn't iTunes.

I am wondering if this is a known problem (preferably with a solution)
or if my only real choice is to complain to the provider and endure
their customer service.

Oh, the provider is Earthlink; the server is smtpauth.earthlink.net,
and /none/ of the choices for "Connection" work, although "Connect
securely on standard mail submission port" gives the error (the others
mostly time out when tested).

TIA for any help!
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302

<v2mjci98ihe3de6j9q1k0iav5ujvm26ghn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5129&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5129

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 17:06:55 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 05:06 UTC

On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 12:34:45 -0700, Paul S Person wrote:

> Starting about 3 days ago (I don't do outgoing email all that often),
> Agent 8.0 started failing to log on to my email provider's SMTP
> server. The error cited was 80090302.

See [A] below
> Note that Agent 8.0 was successfully uptdated (in the INI file) and
> continues to download email just fine.

See [B] below

> Researching this online is a nightmare -- apparently, iTunes is
> somehow the topic of interest. But this isn't iTunes.

See [C] below

> I am wondering if this is a known problem (preferably with a solution)
> or if my only real choice is to complain to the provider and endure
> their customer service.

See [D] below

> Oh, the provider is Earthlink; the server is smtpauth.earthlink.net,
> and /none/ of the choices for "Connection" work, although "Connect
> securely on standard mail submission port" gives the error (the others
> mostly time out when tested).
>
> TIA for any help!

[A] Error 80090302 means that the server and your computer could
not agree on an SSL/TLS protocol to use. Typically this means
your computer is using an older version of SSL/TLS but the
server requires a newer version.

Earthlink says it now wants a minimum SSL/TLS version of TLS 1.2.
<https://help.earthlink.net/portal/en/kb/articles/end-of-life-tls-1-0-and-1-1>

> Note that Agent 8.0 was successfully uptdated (in the INI file) and
> continues to download email just fine.

[B] You wrote "Agent 8.0 was successfully uptdated (in the INI file)".
I do not know whether you mean the configuration change described
at this link, or whether you mean something else.

* Google Groups: <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/mJmtMSUqp6M>
* Narkive: <https://alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.narkive.com/35h3yv8s/notice-agent-and-ssl>
* Usenet: <news:p8hpuglnb0tot2oot3ob7m8n1k940kfgcl@4ax.com>

That configuration change by itself will not help when you are
running Vista, XP, or an even earlier version of Windows. Those
older versions of Windows did not support TLS 1.2. Agent uses
the SSL/TLS built into Windows, and if Windows does not have
TLS 1.2 then Agent will not be able to use it.

There are reported to be some mods to add TLS 1.2 support to XP
and to Vista. I have never tried any of these myself.

If downloading email works, this could mean the SMTP server is
enforcing the requirement for TLS1.2 on you but the POP server is
not yet doing so.

I tried testing the SSL/TLS support of smtpauth.earthlink.net:587
and pop.earthlink.net:995 from here in New Zealand. For me, both
appeared to accept connections using any of TLS1, TLS1.1 and TLS1.2.
It is possible this could depend on one's IP address / geographical
location.

> Researching this online is a nightmare -- apparently, iTunes is
> somehow the topic of interest. But this isn't iTunes.

[C] You can eliminate the itunes hits by adding
-itunes
to a Google search query, like this:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=80090302+-itunes>

> I am wondering if this is a known problem (preferably with a solution)

[D] If you haven't applied the config change described here, then do so.

* Google Groups: <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/mJmtMSUqp6M>
* Narkive: <https://alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.narkive.com/35h3yv8s/notice-agent-and-ssl>
* Usenet: <news:p8hpuglnb0tot2oot3ob7m8n1k940kfgcl@4ax.com>

If you have and it still doesn't work, then what is your operating system?

If your OS is Vista or XP, you would either have to upgrade the
OS or try one of the mods which are reported to work. This in
addition to the config change to the INI file.

If your OS is older than XP SP3, I suspect an OS upgrade is
first required.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

𝘐𝘡 π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘡𝘡𝘦𝘳 𝘡𝘰 𝘧𝘒𝘭𝘭 π˜ͺ𝘯 𝘸π˜ͺ𝘡𝘩 𝘀𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘴 𝘡𝘩𝘒𝘯 𝘸π˜ͺ𝘡𝘩 𝘧𝘭𝘒𝘡𝘡𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘳𝘴; 𝘧𝘰𝘳 π˜ͺ𝘯 𝘡𝘩𝘦
𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘀𝘒𝘴𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘢 𝘒𝘳𝘦 π˜₯𝘦𝘷𝘰𝘢𝘳𝘦π˜₯ 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 π˜₯𝘦𝘒π˜₯, π˜ͺ𝘯 𝘡𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘡𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘀𝘒𝘴𝘦 𝘸𝘩π˜ͺ𝘭𝘦 𝘒𝘭π˜ͺ𝘷𝘦.

Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302

<9urkcipfg7crg5e2hsrrjcobp8uuh3j2ol@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5130&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5130

From: horsezip@earthlink.net (jimmy keffer)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:06:40 -0400
 by: jimmy keffer - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:06 UTC

try what ralph says it works for me on windows 7 64 bit
jimmy

gmail and agent

<7cskci9bcpdmcs2sc0d7cq94134jq4f4kk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5131&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5131

From: horsezip@earthlink.net (jimmy keffer)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: gmail and agent
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:17:30 -0400
 by: jimmy keffer - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:17 UTC

is there a way to make agent work with gmail anymore since they don't
accept plane text passwords anymore
thanks jimmy

Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302

<md2lcip6ol78fcdgp3r7mci4piq6ah462j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5132&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5132

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 10:13:46 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 17:13 UTC

wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 12:34:45 -0700, Paul S Person wrote:
>
>> Starting about 3 days ago (I don't do outgoing email all that often),
>> Agent 8.0 started failing to log on to my email provider's SMTP
>> server. The error cited was 80090302.
>
>See [A] below
>
>> Note that Agent 8.0 was successfully uptdated (in the INI file) and
>> continues to download email just fine.
>
>See [B] below
>
>> Researching this online is a nightmare -- apparently, iTunes is
>> somehow the topic of interest. But this isn't iTunes.
>
>See [C] below
>
>> I am wondering if this is a known problem (preferably with a solution)
>> or if my only real choice is to complain to the provider and endure
>> their customer service.
>
>See [D] below
>
>> Oh, the provider is Earthlink; the server is smtpauth.earthlink.net,
>> and /none/ of the choices for "Connection" work, although "Connect
>> securely on standard mail submission port" gives the error (the others
>> mostly time out when tested).
>>
>> TIA for any help!
>

>[A] Error 80090302 means that the server and your computer could
> not agree on an SSL/TLS protocol to use. Typically this means
> your computer is using an older version of SSL/TLS but the
> server requires a newer version.
>
> Earthlink says it now wants a minimum SSL/TLS version of TLS 1.2.
> <https://help.earthlink.net/portal/en/kb/articles/end-of-life-tls-1-0-and-1-1>

Unfortunately, that only mentions SMTP in the context of disabling
security when doing email. It is clearly focused on changing the TLS
level for receiving email.

I got at least for emails with the same info from them starting a
couple of months before July 17, BTW. They were very diligent about
warning their customers of this.

>> Note that Agent 8.0 was successfully uptdated (in the INI file) and
>> continues to download email just fine.
>
>[B] You wrote "Agent 8.0 was successfully uptdated (in the INI file)".
> I do not know whether you mean the configuration change described
> at this link, or whether you mean something else.

The INI file, after some struggle with the OS, which regarded it as
its very own property not-to-be-touched by mere users, now has:

AllowedSSLProtocols=10880

which I believe means I can now go up to TSL 1.3.

> * Google Groups: <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/mJmtMSUqp6M>
> * Narkive: <https://alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.narkive.com/35h3yv8s/notice-agent-and-ssl>
> * Usenet: <news:p8hpuglnb0tot2oot3ob7m8n1k940kfgcl@4ax.com>
>
> That configuration change by itself will not help when you are
> running Vista, XP, or an even earlier version of Windows. Those
> older versions of Windows did not support TLS 1.2. Agent uses
> the SSL/TLS built into Windows, and if Windows does not have
> TLS 1.2 then Agent will not be able to use it.
>
> There are reported to be some mods to add TLS 1.2 support to XP
> and to Vista. I have never tried any of these myself.
>

> If downloading email works, this could mean the SMTP server is
> enforcing the requirement for TLS1.2 on you but the POP server is
> not yet doing so.

Since all the info on the change stressed "downloading email" and only
mentioned SMTP in describing how to configure a client to not use any
encryption, that seems unlikely. It is, however, true that I did not
wait to see if downloading failed before updating the INI file to use
TLS 1.2 and so cannot state with certainty that the POP server
requires TLS 1.2.

> I tried testing the SSL/TLS support of smtpauth.earthlink.net:587
> and pop.earthlink.net:995 from here in New Zealand. For me, both
> appeared to accept connections using any of TLS1, TLS1.1 and TLS1.2.
> It is possible this could depend on one's IP address / geographical
> location.

That is interesting. Sadly, I am in the USA, so the geographical
location may matter.

>> Researching this online is a nightmare -- apparently, iTunes is
>> somehow the topic of interest. But this isn't iTunes.
>
>[C] You can eliminate the itunes hits by adding
> -itunes
> to a Google search query, like this:
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=80090302+-itunes>

But will it tell me anything you haven't already? The non-iTunes stuff
mostly talks about Kerberos, which I suppose it in use here.

>> I am wondering if this is a known problem (preferably with a solution)
>
>[D] If you haven't applied the config change described here, then do so.
>
> * Google Groups: <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/mJmtMSUqp6M>
> * Narkive: <https://alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.narkive.com/35h3yv8s/notice-agent-and-ssl>
> * Usenet: <news:p8hpuglnb0tot2oot3ob7m8n1k940kfgcl@4ax.com>
>
> If you have and it still doesn't work, then what is your operating system?

I did and it works fine -- for downloading.

This is no surprise, since I am running Windows 10, and it is
up-to-date (well, as of last Friday, anyway).

> If your OS is Vista or XP, you would either have to upgrade the
> OS or try one of the mods which are reported to work. This in
> addition to the config change to the INI file.
>
> If your OS is older than XP SP3, I suspect an OS upgrade is
> first required.

Thanks for your effort and response.

This has been going on long enough that it is clear that the provider
itself is not going to fix it. Perhaps, despite Win10's fervent
objections, I will go back to

AllowedSSLProtocols=0

to verify that the POP server does not work with that value, and then
try

AllowedSSLProtocols=2688

to see if that helps.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"

Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302

<0k6lcihairpfd88b2g7783l4tlepq7bb2c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5133&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5133

From: horsezip@earthlink.net (jimmy keffer)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 14:08:01 -0400
 by: jimmy keffer - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 18:08 UTC

please let me what u go back to old setting in the ini file thanks
jimmy

Re: gmail and agent

<hmalci5p9ik3u843cikfbo9rhsah637aag@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5134&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5134

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: gmail and agent
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 07:31:08 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 19:31 UTC

On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:17:30 -0400, jimmy keffer wrote:

> is there a way to make agent work with gmail anymore since they don't
> accept plane text passwords anymore
> thanks jimmy

To make Agent take off and land with Gmail, you will need to get an
'app password' from Google and use that in Agent in place of your
main Google account password.

Instructions for getting an 'app password' are here:

"Sign in with App Passwords"
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833>

IMPORTANT:

1) You need to turn on 2-Step Verification before you can create a
Google Gmail 'app password'.

2) You need to keep 2-Step Verification turned on or else Google
will disable your Gmail 'app password'.

3) If you change your main Google account password, you will need
to create a new 'app password'.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302

<bbflci5u1j2hc5lr1h2h2eh2u6s1ojclm7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5135&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5135

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 14:08:17 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 21:08 UTC

On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 14:08:01 -0400, jimmy keffer
<horsezip@earthlink.net> wrote:

>please let me what u go back to old setting in the ini file thanks

Well, this is typical, I must say.

Win 10 is no longer protecting the file so well that I have to copy it
to a different directory in order to work on it. Instead, the
incredibly stupid practice of asking me (the only user and so only
Administrator) to give myself permission to edit it (granted by
pressing the "Yes" button, no password or other pretence of actual
security required) is used.

When I installed Agent on Windows 8.1 nearly 10 years ago, I had a
heck of a time finding where it was keeping its data so I could
continue to use my folders. This turned out to be in
AppData\Roaming\Forte. But the INI file I had been modifying was not
there, and so not being used. The one in AppData\Roaming, OTOH,
clearly is.

It is also very strange: despite Earthlink's endless assertions that
the POP server would have problems on and after July 17 with any
version of TLS 1.2, Agent has, in fact, had no difficulty with it. The
recent problems with the SMTP server, which may have indeed begun July
17 (I don't send that much email), was fixed as soon as I modified the
INI file Agent actually uses, the one in AppData\Roaming.

I want to thank Ralph Fox again; it was the information he provided
that led me, when changing the wrong INI file did not work and
renaming it did not produce a new (default) one, to find the INI file
actually in use.

Eventually, I will no doubt migrate to a new computer and and Windows
11 (or 12 or 13 or ... whatever is current at the time). I think I
will just /install/ Agent and then /restore/ the data to the proper
location next time. Wherever that may turn out to be.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"

Re: gmail and agent

<23olcih6aiub9nearsvqq2ebe8ismj1jt4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5136&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5136

From: horsezip@earthlink.net (jimmy keffer)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 19:06:54 -0400
 by: jimmy keffer - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 23:06 UTC

thanks for this info also
jimmy

Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302

<8oroci1vd6vl0qkpned0727a617nrjgq6m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5138&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5138

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 16:13:38 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 04:13 UTC

On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 14:08:17 -0700, Paul S Person wrote:

> Win 10 is no longer protecting the file so well that I have to copy it
> to a different directory in order to work on it. Instead, the
> incredibly stupid practice of asking me (the only user and so only
> Administrator) to give myself permission to edit it (granted by
> pressing the "Yes" button, no password or other pretence of actual
> security required) is used.

None of this is normal with Agent.

If I want to edit my AGENT.INI file, I simply double-click it or use
"(right-click) >> Edit with Notepad++". That is all.

I do not need to give myself permission to edit my AGENT.INI file
(not on a UAC prompt nor elsewhere). I do not need to copy the
AGENT.INI file to another directory to work on it.

If you are encountering these hurdles, first check the owner and NTFS
security protection on the AGENT.INI file and also on the folder it
is in.

Here are some possible causes which you might also want to look at.
(No way can I tell from here what has been happening on your computer.)

1. If you have run Agent as Administrator.
This includes:

a) Running Agent from the installer (which itself runs as
Administrator). See this item in FortΓ©'s Agent FAQ:
<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#D916C8C48CD8C0EA852572B5006CFF7F>

b) Having a check-mark in "Run this program as Administrator" on
the Windows properties for agent.exe, "Compatibility" tab.

2. If the AGENT.INI file is stored in a 'protected' location.
a) For example, "C:\Program Files\Agent (x86)\Data\" is a
protected location in Windows Vista and all later versions
of Windows.
See this Agent help page: Help >> Index >> Vista

--
Regards
Ralph

β€˜When ΓΎe coppe is follest, ΓΎenne ber hire feyrest,’ quoΓΎ Hendyng.

Re: Outgoing Email Fails 80090302

<rh5qcip4ufj9mkmthqei93at8jshqilap7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5141&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5141

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 08:46:31 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 15:46 UTC

On Fri, 04 Aug 2023 16:13:38 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 14:08:17 -0700, Paul S Person wrote:
>
>> Win 10 is no longer protecting the file so well that I have to copy it
>> to a different directory in order to work on it. Instead, the
>> incredibly stupid practice of asking me (the only user and so only
>> Administrator) to give myself permission to edit it (granted by
>> pressing the "Yes" button, no password or other pretence of actual
>> security required) is used.
>

>None of this is normal with Agent.

It is not Agent's fault, certainly. It is Microsoft's stupidity.

>If I want to edit my AGENT.INI file, I simply double-click it or use
>"(right-click) >> Edit with Notepad++". That is all.

And so do I ... when I am in AppData\Roaming\Forte rather than
ProgramFiles (x86)\Agent. The nonsense occurred in the latter.

>I do not need to give myself permission to edit my AGENT.INI file
>(not on a UAC prompt nor elsewhere). I do not need to copy the
>AGENT.INI file to another directory to work on it.

Apparently, neither do I ... now that I am accessing it in
AppData\Roaming\Forte.

>If you are encountering these hurdles, first check the owner and NTFS
>security protection on the AGENT.INI file and also on the folder it
>is in.

I actually checked that. Not only does my account have all the
permissions, I /am/ the owner. (I learned long ago that taking
ownership of recalcitrant directories/files was often a solution.)

>Here are some possible causes which you might also want to look at.
>(No way can I tell from here what has been happening on your computer.)
>
> 1. If you have run Agent as Administrator.
> This includes:
>
> a) Running Agent from the installer (which itself runs as
> Administrator). See this item in FortΓ©'s Agent FAQ:
> <https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#D916C8C48CD8C0EA852572B5006CFF7F>
>
> b) Having a check-mark in "Run this program as Administrator" on
> the Windows properties for agent.exe, "Compatibility" tab.

Nope.

And, anyway, that produces a different popup which covers the rest of
the screen with the Dark Side and sometimes does so in the background,
making everything look frozen until Alt-Tab reveals and allows me to
select it.

That's another Windows deficiency, BTW: I can turn this off for all
such programs (well, provided the option to do so actually works,
never a given with Windows) but I can't exempt specific programs from
it. IOW, the concept of "trusted program" does not exist in this
context.

> 2. If the AGENT.INI file is stored in a 'protected' location.
>
> a) For example, "C:\Program Files\Agent (x86)\Data\" is a
> protected location in Windows Vista and all later versions
> of Windows.
> See this Agent help page: Help >> Index >> Vista
The INI file in ProgramFiles (x86)\Agent, as you note, is. Hence the
problems reported.

It just isn't the INI file Agent actually uses.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"

Re: gmail and agent

<kjjc6cF951rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5147&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5147

From: samt@samt.invalid (Sam)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2023 22:51:07 -0700
 by: Sam - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 05:51 UTC

On Thu, 03 Aug 2023 07:31:08 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>To make Agent take off and land with Gmail, you will need to get an
>'app password' from Google and use that in Agent in place of your
>main Google account password.
Google mail no longer allows this.

Re: gmail and agent

<3pd9dihdc4on0gsnsi11hcqo58i2t4hbhv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5148&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5148

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 22:08:41 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:08 UTC

On Wed, 09 Aug 2023 22:51:07 -0700, Sam wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Aug 2023 07:31:08 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>> To make Agent take off and land with Gmail, you will need to get an
>> 'app password' from Google and use that in Agent in place of your
>> main Google account password.
>>
>> Instructions for getting an 'app password' are here:
>>
>> "Sign in with App Passwords"
>> <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833>
>
> Google mail no longer allows this.

Gmail allows it for me.

I have in the last hour created a new app password. And used that new
app password successfully in another version of Agent (version 3.3).

Screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_kjjc6c__app-password-created-today-and-used-in-agent-with-gmail.png>

--
Regards
Ralph Fox

π‘‡β„Žπ‘’ π‘œπ‘›π‘’ π‘€β„Žπ‘œ π‘ π‘Žπ‘¦π‘  𝑖𝑑 π‘π‘Žπ‘›π‘›π‘œπ‘‘ 𝑏𝑒 π‘‘π‘œπ‘›π‘’ π‘ β„Žπ‘œπ‘’π‘™π‘‘ π‘›π‘’π‘£π‘’π‘Ÿ π‘–π‘›π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘π‘‘ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘œπ‘›π‘’ π‘€β„Žπ‘œ 𝑖𝑠 π‘‘π‘œπ‘–π‘›π‘” 𝑖𝑑.

Re: gmail and agent

<fro9di1vcfl3tbc3sl67q62rsfucrj8d8r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5149&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5149

From: horsezip@earthlink.net (jimmy keffer)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:23:25 -0400
 by: jimmy keffer - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 13:23 UTC

works for me using app passwords as well thanks ralph for the help
jimmy