19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

SubjectAuthor
* Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Edmund
+* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Big Al
|`* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Edmund
| `* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Big Al
|  `* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Edmund
|   `* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Big Al
|    +* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Edmund
|    |`* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Paul
|    | `- Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Edmund
|    `* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Edmund
|     `* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Mike Easter
|      +- Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Johnny
|      +- Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Edmund
|      `* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?RonB
|       `- Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Edmund
+- Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Ralph Fox
+* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Mike Bott
|+* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Bud Frede
||`- Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Mike Bott
|+- Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?RonB
|`- Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Mike Bott
`* Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Johnny
 +- Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?Edmund
 `- Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?RonB

1
Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tjofdt$1625$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5020&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5020

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 13:35:09 +0100
 by: Edmund - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:35 UTC

Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
Not much improvement but more weirdness.
I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.

As said many times before, why on earth are those cut and paste clowns
releasing releases with new bugs instead of solving problems?

Edmund

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tjog7t$gecf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5021&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5021

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 08:49:00 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:49 UTC

On 10/31/22 08:35, this is what Edmund wrote:
> Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
> Not much improvement but more weirdness.
> I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
> Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.
>
> As said many times before, why on earth are those cut and paste clowns
> releasing releases with new bugs instead of solving problems?
>
> Edmund

No idea what you are talking about. I've gone from at least Mint Cinnamon 14 to 21 with no issues.
Granted I've done the upgrade path from 17-18 but fresh loaded 19 & 20. Mint 21 is a fresh install on another place
and I'm not yet using it as my main system.

All others had minor changes in my opinion, but 21 has changed a good amount, Nothing disastrous, but the theming is a
bit diff, and they are moving to xapps meaning xed, xplayer,xreader etc (at least that's my understanding). But I
already use those things.

I haven't lost any functionality yet. My usage may be different and thus my results different.
You didn't say what version you were currently on, so I'm responding kinda generic.
Al

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tjoh5m$a8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5022&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5022

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 14:04:54 +0100
 by: Edmund - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 13:04 UTC

On 10/31/22 13:49, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/31/22 08:35, this is what Edmund wrote:
>> Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
>> Not much improvement but more weirdness.
>> I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
>> Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.
>>
>> As said many times before, why on earth are those cut and paste clowns
>> releasing releases with new bugs instead of solving problems?
>>
>> Edmund
>>
> No idea what you are talking about.   I've gone from at least Mint Cinnamon 14 to 21 with no issues.
> Granted I've done the upgrade path from 17-18 but fresh loaded 19 & 20.   Mint 21 is a fresh install on another place and I'm not yet using it as my main system.
>
> All others had minor changes in my opinion, but 21 has changed a good amount, Nothing disastrous, but the theming is a bit diff, and they are moving to xapps meaning xed, xplayer,xreader etc (at least that's my understanding).  But I already use
> those things.
>
> I haven't lost any functionality yet.    My usage may be different and thus my results different.
> You didn't say what version you were currently on, so I'm responding kinda generic.
>     Al

This system in 20.3 MATE and I think the first time I lost my entire panel was
Mint 19.xx although it could be Mint 20.xx
Happened a couple of times in following releases and it never happened -TO ME - before.
I would stress - to me- because google tells me it happened to others long before
and it is obviously not been fixed.

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tjohq6$gj0k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5023&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5023

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:15:50 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 13:15 UTC

On 10/31/22 09:04, this is what Edmund wrote:
> On 10/31/22 13:49, Big Al wrote:
>> On 10/31/22 08:35, this is what Edmund wrote:
>>> Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
>>> Not much improvement but more weirdness.
>>> I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
>>> Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.
>>>
>>> As said many times before, why on earth are those cut and paste clowns
>>> releasing releases with new bugs instead of solving problems?
>>>
>>> Edmund
>>>
>> No idea what you are talking about.   I've gone from at least Mint Cinnamon 14 to 21 with no issues.
>> Granted I've done the upgrade path from 17-18 but fresh loaded 19 & 20.   Mint 21 is a fresh install on another place
>> and I'm not yet using it as my main system.
>>
>> All others had minor changes in my opinion, but 21 has changed a good amount, Nothing disastrous, but the theming is a
>> bit diff, and they are moving to xapps meaning xed, xplayer,xreader etc (at least that's my understanding).  But I
>> already use those things.
>>
>> I haven't lost any functionality yet.    My usage may be different and thus my results different.
>> You didn't say what version you were currently on, so I'm responding kinda generic.
>>      Al
>>
> This system in 20.3 MATE and I think the first time I lost my entire panel was
> Mint 19.xx although it could be Mint 20.xx
> Happened a couple of times in following releases and it never happened -TO ME - before.
> I would stress - to me- because google tells me it happened to others long before
> and it is obviously not been fixed.

Yes, might be a mate thing, but I'm on Cinnamon.

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tjoj63$sr1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5024&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5024

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 14:39:15 +0100
 by: Edmund - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 13:39 UTC

On 10/31/22 14:15, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/31/22 09:04, this is what Edmund wrote:

>>> No idea what you are talking about.   I've gone from at least Mint Cinnamon 14 to 21 with no issues.
>>> Granted I've done the upgrade path from 17-18 but fresh loaded 19 & 20.   Mint 21 is a fresh install on another place and I'm not yet using it as my main system.
>>>
>>> All others had minor changes in my opinion, but 21 has changed a good amount, Nothing disastrous, but the theming is a bit diff, and they are moving to xapps meaning xed, xplayer,xreader etc (at least that's my understanding).  But I already use
>>> those things.
>>>
>>> I haven't lost any functionality yet.    My usage may be different and thus my results different.
>>> You didn't say what version you were currently on, so I'm responding kinda generic.
>>>      Al
>>>
>> This system in 20.3 MATE and I think the first time I lost my entire panel was
>> Mint 19.xx although it could be Mint 20.xx
>> Happened a couple of times in following releases and it never happened -TO ME - before.
>> I would stress - to me- because google tells me it happened to others long before
>> and it is obviously not been fixed.
>>

> Yes, might be a mate thing, but I'm on Cinnamon.

Possible, the first time I lost my panel was on XFCE.

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tjp0gr$ho5s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5025&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5025

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 13:26:51 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 17:26 UTC

On 10/31/22 09:39, this is what Edmund wrote:
> On 10/31/22 14:15, Big Al wrote:

>>> This system in 20.3 MATE and I think the first time I lost my entire panel was
>>> Mint 19.xx although it could be Mint 20.xx
>>> Happened a couple of times in following releases and it never happened -TO ME - before.
>>> I would stress - to me- because google tells me it happened to others long before
>>> and it is obviously not been fixed.
>>>

>> Yes, might be a mate thing, but I'm on Cinnamon.
>
> Possible, the first time I lost my panel was on XFCE.

Did you ever figure out what caused it?

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<4n00mh50v0l1gjqb9uhahinqt87ivj4e64@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5026&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5026

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 06:27:15 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 17:27 UTC

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 13:35:09 +0100, Edmund wrote:

> Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
> Not much improvement but more weirdness.
> I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
> Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.
>
> As said many times before, why on earth are those cut and paste clowns
> releasing releases with new bugs instead of solving problems?
>
> Edmund

All working fine here.
I last did a full install in 2020; since then it has been via updates.

Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon 64-bit.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tjp50h$2k3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5027&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5027

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 19:43:29 +0100
 by: Edmund - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 18:43 UTC

On 10/31/22 18:26, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/31/22 09:39, this is what Edmund wrote:

>>> Yes, might be a mate thing, but I'm on Cinnamon.
>>
>> Possible, the first time I lost my panel was on XFCE.
>>

> Did you ever figure out what caused it?

No I wouldn't know where to start and it seems that problem is
present for many many years although I personally never experienced it.
For me a fresh install was the quickest way to get things going again.

I do know I removed an item from the panel and then the whole panel was gone :-)
Solutions found on internet how to get it back didn't work correctly and
of course, solutions for everything but XFCE.

Edmund

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tjpphp$jov7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5033&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5033

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 20:34:01 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 00:34 UTC

On 10/31/2022 2:43 PM, Edmund wrote:
> On 10/31/22 18:26, Big Al wrote:

>>> Possible, the first time I lost my panel was on XFCE.
>>>

>> Did you ever figure out what caused it?
>
> No I wouldn't know where to start and it seems that problem is
> present for many many years although I personally never experienced it.
> For me a fresh install was the quickest way to get things going again.
>
> I do know I removed an item from the panel and then the whole panel was gone :-)
> Solutions found on internet how to get it back didn't work correctly and
> of course, solutions for everything but XFCE.
>
> Edmund

But you know the typical configuration file is relatively
brittle. If there's a syntax error, it could cook the whole
thing and cause it to exit. (Like, say, a NULL byte got
into the file.)

That's where your backup comes in handy, right ?

If you sort your files by date, you may be able to spot
the file that just got modified.

Paul

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tjqhu1$10jq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5036&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5036

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 08:30:09 +0100
 by: Edmund - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 07:30 UTC

On 11/1/22 01:34, Paul wrote:
> On 10/31/2022 2:43 PM, Edmund wrote:

>>> Did you ever figure out what caused it?
>>
>> No I wouldn't know where to start and it seems that problem is
>> present for many many years although I personally never experienced it.
>> For me a fresh install was the quickest way to get things going again.
>>
>> I do know I removed an item from the panel and then the whole panel was gone :-)
>> Solutions found on internet how to get it back didn't work correctly and
>> of course, solutions for everything but XFCE.
>>
>> Edmund
>
> But you know the typical configuration file is relatively
> brittle. If there's a syntax error, it could cook the whole
> thing and cause it to exit. (Like, say, a NULL byte got
> into the file.)
>
> That's where your backup comes in handy, right ?
>
> If you sort your files by date, you may be able to spot
> the file that just got modified.
>
>    Paul

I think you could be right but I have a question, since this -among
plenty of other bugs- are present for many many years, why
has nobody ever done this and why isn't it fixed?

Let me tell you, it is near impossible to even file a bug
and nobody cares anyway, they most certainly are not going
to fix anything.

Oh I plead guilty in not using backups.

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tkiotu$10te$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5054&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5054

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 12:56:46 +0100
 by: Edmund - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:56 UTC

On 10/31/22 18:26, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/31/22 09:39, this is what Edmund wrote:

>>> Yes, might be a mate thing, but I'm on Cinnamon.
>>
>> Possible, the first time I lost my panel was on XFCE.
>>

> Did you ever figure out what caused it?

By cleaning up my bookmarks I found this:

https://superuser.com/questions/961717/linux-mint-deleted-bottom-panel-how-to-un-delete#:~:text=You%20can't%20%22undelete%22,get%20a%20new%20blank%20panel.

So this means the problem is not only exists for a very long time,
it also is present in more - probably all- DE's.
Yet the cut and paste clowns keep releasing new releases but
refusing to fix anything, ever.

I know I am alone here but I find this strategy insane.

Edmund

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<jt4vr0F6u9dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5055&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5055

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:56:31 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 18:56 UTC

Edmund wrote:
> By cleaning up my bookmarks I found this:
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/961717/linux-mint-deleted-bottom-panel-how-to-un-delete#:~:text=You%20can't%20%22undelete%22,get%20a%20new%20blank%20panel.

In that thread, the questioner had deleted his panel and wanted to
'undelete' it. 'Tho' that undelete wasn't possible, he was informed how
to recreate the panel; which of course had to be 'reconstructed' in
terms of its configuration.

> So this means the problem is not only exists for a very long time,
> it also is present in more - probably all- DE's.

What you are calling the 'problem' above is that a person shouldn't
delete their panel and expect to be able to 'undelete' it to restore its
previous condition. They can only make a new panel.

It seems that you are implying that (above) is a 'bug' which should have
been 'fixed', but it is not. It is a feature.

> Yet the cut and paste clowns keep releasing new releases but
> refusing to fix anything, ever.

I would not say that is a feature that needs to be changed.

Your OP in this thread said:

> I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
> Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.

Your OP implied the panel or applet 'mysteriously' disappeared.

The thread you referred said that the questioner accidentally deleted
his panel.

One of the answers in the referred thread gave instructions to restore
Cinnamon or Mate panel settings

--
Mike Easter

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<20221110134006.26cf7a71@jmapc>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5056&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5056

From: johnny@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 13:40:06 -0600
 by: Johnny - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 19:40 UTC

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:56:31 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Edmund wrote:
> > By cleaning up my bookmarks I found this:
> >
> > https://superuser.com/questions/961717/linux-mint-deleted-bottom-panel-how-to-un-delete#:~:text=You%20can't%20%22undelete%22,get%20a%20new%20blank%20panel.
> >
> In that thread, the questioner had deleted his panel and wanted to
> 'undelete' it. 'Tho' that undelete wasn't possible, he was informed
> how to recreate the panel; which of course had to be 'reconstructed'
> in terms of its configuration.
> >
> > So this means the problem is not only exists for a very long time,
> > it also is present in more - probably all- DE's.
>
> What you are calling the 'problem' above is that a person shouldn't
> delete their panel and expect to be able to 'undelete' it to restore
> its previous condition. They can only make a new panel.
>
> It seems that you are implying that (above) is a 'bug' which should
> have been 'fixed', but it is not. It is a feature.
>
> > Yet the cut and paste clowns keep releasing new releases but
> > refusing to fix anything, ever.
> >
> I would not say that is a feature that needs to be changed.
>
> > I know I am alone here but I find this strategy insane.
> >
> Your OP in this thread said:
>
> > I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
> > Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.
>
> Your OP implied the panel or applet 'mysteriously' disappeared.
>
> The thread you referred said that the questioner accidentally deleted
> his panel.
>
> One of the answers in the referred thread gave instructions to
> restore Cinnamon or Mate panel settings
>
> > Run the following command in the terminal:
> >
> > gsettings reset-recursively org.cinnamon (THIS IS FOR CINNAMON)
> >
> > gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.panel (THIS IS FOR MATE)

I've noticed it would be very easy to accidentally delete the panel.
When you right click on the panel, Remove and Panel are adjacent to
each other. They could have been separated by two items, which is what
should have been done. Then if someone deleted the panel, it would
have to be intentional.

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<IidbL.38630$BRy2.36011@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5058&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5058

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: mbott001@gmail.com (Mike Bott)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 15:38:00 -0500
 by: Mike Bott - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 20:38 UTC

On 10/31/22 08:35, Edmund wrote:
> Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
> Not much improvement but more weirdness.
> I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
> Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.
>
> As said many times before, why on earth are those cut and paste clowns
> releasing releases with new bugs instead of solving problems?
>
> Edmund

I don't believe I've encountered any weirdness in the last several
releases of Linux Mint. I've had more issues with Thunderbird than
anything else.

--
Mike

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tkl0cp$687$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5063&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5063

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 09:16:25 +0100
 by: Edmund - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 08:16 UTC

On 11/10/22 19:56, Mike Easter wrote:
> Edmund wrote:
>> By cleaning up my bookmarks I found this:
>>
>> https://superuser.com/questions/961717/linux-mint-deleted-bottom-panel-how-to-un-delete#:~:text=You%20can't%20%22undelete%22,get%20a%20new%20blank%20panel.
> In that thread, the questioner had deleted his panel and wanted to 'undelete' it.  'Tho' that undelete wasn't possible, he was informed how to recreate the panel; which of course had to be 'reconstructed' in terms of its configuration.
>>
>> So this means the problem is not only exists for a very long time,
>> it also is present in more - probably all- DE's.
>
> What you are calling the 'problem' above is that a person shouldn't delete their panel and expect to be able to 'undelete' it to restore its previous condition.  They can only make a new panel.
>
> It seems that you are implying that (above) is a 'bug' which should have been 'fixed', but it is not.  It is a feature.
>
>> Yet the cut and paste clowns keep releasing new releases but
>> refusing to fix anything, ever.
>>
> I would not say that is a feature that needs to be changed.
>
>> I know I am alone here but I find this strategy insane.
>>
> Your OP in this thread said:
>
>> I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
>> Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.
>
> Your OP implied the panel or applet 'mysteriously' disappeared.
>
> The thread you referred said that the questioner accidentally deleted his panel.
>
> One of the answers in the referred thread gave instructions to restore Cinnamon or Mate panel settings
>
>> Run the following command in the terminal:
>>
>> gsettings reset-recursively org.cinnamon (THIS IS FOR CINNAMON)
>>
>> gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.panel (THIS IS FOR MATE)

Hardly believe you are serious, deleting the panel so the OS is
unusable is a feature, right we cannot have enough of that kind
of features.

Apart from that, I did not delete my panel, twice!, I wanted to remove
a launcher from the panel and the panel disappeared.
This happened to others too, all wondering what they did to make the panel
disappear, something that shouldn't be possible at all or at the very
least not without being admin. Yet is happens.

The create a new one workaround didn't work either, in mate it created
other problems, in XFCE I couldn't find a solution at all.
Related BUG!!!! no matter if someone like to call it a feature..
my network manager applet is gone.

ps This kind of annoyance never happened to ME in releases 19 of before
and although I am not as ignorant as some to therefore "conclude" such
problems didn't exist before, they obviously did, still remarkable that
in recent releases it happened to me a couple of times in succession.

Edmund

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<itubL.12473$sQE9.2732@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5066&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5066

From: frede@mouse-potato.com (Bud Frede)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 11:09:46 -0500
 by: Bud Frede - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 16:09 UTC

Mike Bott <mbott001@gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/31/22 08:35, Edmund wrote:
>> Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
>> Not much improvement but more weirdness.
>> I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
>> Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.
>> As said many times before, why on earth are those cut and paste
>> clowns
>> releasing releases with new bugs instead of solving problems?
>> Edmund
>>
> I don't believe I've encountered any weirdness in the last several
> releases of Linux Mint. I've had more issues with Thunderbird than
> anything else.

Edmund doesn't have any issues with Linux distros either. He looks for
posts in the forums mentioning problems and then posts here that he's
having the same problem. He's been trolling in this manner for years. I
wish he'd get another hobby than trolling on Usenet.

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<voAbL.65588$Jjx8.45622@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5071&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5071

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: mbott001@gmail.com (Mike Bott)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 17:54:19 -0500
 by: Mike Bott - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 22:54 UTC

On 11/11/22 11:09, Bud Frede wrote:

> Edmund doesn't have any issues with Linux distros either. He looks for
> posts in the forums mentioning problems and then posts here that he's
> having the same problem. He's been trolling in this manner for years. I
> wish he'd get another hobby than trolling on Usenet.

I apologize for feeding the troll.

:)

--
Mike

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<20221112064519.264c9c81@jmapc>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5073&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5073

From: johnny@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 06:45:19 -0600
 by: Johnny - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 12:45 UTC

Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
> Not much improvement but more weirdness.
> I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
> Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.
>
> As said many times before, why on earth are those cut and paste clowns
> releasing releases with new bugs instead of solving problems?
>
> Edmund

The easiest way to solve the problems is to use MX Linux.

You can back up you panel configuration, and restore it, if it's
accidentally deleted.

If the panel disappears, just right click on the desktop, go to
Settings, and MX Tweak. There you can restore the panel.

MX Linux is Xfce, and the panel is on the left side vertically, but
using MX Tweak, you can place it on the bottom horizontally.

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tkoa35$19er$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5074&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5074

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:20:20 +0100
 by: Edmund - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 14:20 UTC

On 11/12/22 13:45, Johnny wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 13:35:09 +0100
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
>> Not much improvement but more weirdness.
>> I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
>> Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.
>>
>> As said many times before, why on earth are those cut and paste clowns
>> releasing releases with new bugs instead of solving problems?
>>
>> Edmund
>>

> The easiest way to solve the problems is to use MX Linux.
>
> You can back up you panel configuration, and restore it, if it's
> accidentally deleted.
>
> If the panel disappears, just right click on the desktop, go to
> Settings, and MX Tweak. There you can restore the panel.
>
> MX Linux is Xfce, and the panel is on the left side vertically, but
> using MX Tweak, you can place it on the bottom horizontally.

Never heard of MX linux but I see it is yet again another release.
Switching to other releases after any annoying bug is not something
I like to do UNLESS a bug makes working impossible or is very severe.

Weird Idea, let the coders fix a bug for once.

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tkoeka$16kn7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5075&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5075

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:37:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:37 UTC

On 2022-11-10, Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
> Edmund wrote:
>
>> Yet the cut and paste clowns keep releasing new releases but
>> refusing to fix anything, ever.
>>
> I would not say that is a feature that needs to be changed.

To Edmund: How do you fix user error in advance? And Linux Mint is not "cut
and paste" as you say. It's one of the most popular distributions for a
reason. And one of the reasons I like Linux (and Linux Mint specifically) is
because it gives you lots of customization options. I like that better than
the straight jacket Windows and Mac OS wants to buckle you into, even if you
do accidentally delete your panel. I did it once, it took me about five
minutes to rebuild.

--
Freedom. Use it or lose it.

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tkoer5$16kn7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5076&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5076

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:41:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:41 UTC

On 2022-11-10, Mike Bott <mbott001@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/31/22 08:35, Edmund wrote:
>> Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?
>> Not much improvement but more weirdness.
>> I had my panel dissapeared in the last couple releases.
>> Now my network manager applet has dissapeard from my panel.
>>
>> As said many times before, why on earth are those cut and paste clowns
>> releasing releases with new bugs instead of solving problems?
>>
>> Edmund
>>
> I don't believe I've encountered any weirdness in the last several
> releases of Linux Mint. I've had more issues with Thunderbird than
> anything else.

Yeah, I'm beginning to get tired of Thunderbird. It was solid for me for
years (I just use it for email) and now they suddenly have to jump up
versions three or four times in a row — and each "upgrade" seems to be worse
than one before it. What's their hurry? Get it right, then release it.

--
Freedom. Use it or lose it.

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tkof5c$1g86$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5077&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5077

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 16:46:52 +0100
 by: Edmund - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:46 UTC

On 11/12/22 16:37, RonB wrote:
> On 2022-11-10, Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
>> Edmund wrote:
>>
>>> Yet the cut and paste clowns keep releasing new releases but
>>> refusing to fix anything, ever.
>>>
>> I would not say that is a feature that needs to be changed.
>
> To Edmund: How do you fix user error in advance?

Why do you ask?

> And Linux Mint is not "cut and paste" as you say.

I was talking about those cut 'n paste clowns that call themselves
coders.

> It's one of the most popular distributions for a reason.

Very interesting.

> And one of the reasons I like Linux (and Linux Mint specifically) is
> because it gives you lots of customization options.

Also very interesting.

> I like that better than the straight jacket Windows and Mac OS wants to buckle you into, even if you
> do accidentally delete your panel. I did it once, it took me about five
> minutes to rebuild.

So, why did you delete your panel and how did you do that?

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<tkof9l$16kn7$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5078&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5078

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:49:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:49 UTC

On 2022-11-12, Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

> MX Linux is Xfce, and the panel is on the left side vertically, but
> using MX Tweak, you can place it on the bottom horizontally.

In Linux Mint (using Xfce) you don't need a tweak, you just move the panel
where you want it. I've got nothing against MX Linux, but I like the way
Linux Mint gives you basically the same UI, whether you use Cinnamon, Mate
or Xfce.

--
Freedom. Use it or lose it.

Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?

<iaqcL.69894$s2l3.37204@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5080&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5080

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: mbott001@gmail.com (Mike Bott)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 07:05:33 -0500
 by: Mike Bott - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 12:05 UTC

On 11/10/2022 15:38, Mike Bott wrote:

> I don't believe I've encountered any weirdness in the last several
> releases of Linux Mint.  I've had more issues with Thunderbird than
> anything else.

Just had another issue with (Windows) Thunderbird where it would not
systematically update from 91.13.1 to 102.4.2.

Now running 102.4.2 without it's help. :)

--
Mike

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Opinions about the 3 or 4 latest releases?