From: stuart@stannsulynFILTER.org.uk (Stuart Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Slow sending emails
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 10:49:37 +0100
 by: Stuart Johnson - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 09:49 UTC

My wife and I are both long-term users of Agent (8). Recently sending
emails from her machine is *very* slow.

I know she keeps a lot of stuff on her machine, and maybe a clear-out
would be in order, is there any way to speed up sending?

TIA
--
Stuart Johnson, Peterhead, Scotland
To reply direct remove FILTER from

Re: Slow sending emails

<92pq8i1rtfr8ahu7ehg6l13nmpmgtgff3b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5068&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5068

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Slow sending emails
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 20:24:08 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 08:24 UTC

On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 10:49:37 +0100, Stuart Johnson wrote:

> My wife and I are both long-term users of Agent (8). Recently sending
> emails from her machine is *very* slow.
>
> I know she keeps a lot of stuff on her machine, and maybe a clear-out
> would be in order, is there any way to speed up sending?
>
> TIA

In all the internal steps for sending an email, there are many
different places where a delay *might* be introduced.

The first thing I would suggest doing is to get a *verbose* debug log
of Agent sending an email, to help find where the delay is occurring.

I would not want to blindly try a random fix for any of these. The
chances of blindly getting the right one are low.

How to create a *verbose* debug log

1. With your wife's Agent closed,
* Edit your wife's AGENT.INI file
* In the [Debugging] section of AGENT.INI,
change VerboseLog=0 to VerboseLog=1.

2. *Before* sending an email from Agent on your wife's computer,
open the Task Log window.
Tools >> Task Log
Leave it open while sending the email and reading the Task Log.

3. After the email has been sent, look at the timestamps and log
messages in the Task Log window.
* Commands from Agent to the server are prefixed with ‘<’.
* Agent's own thinking is not prefixed with ‘<’ or ‘>’.
* The difference between one timestamp and the next will
tell you where there are delays and how big the delay is.

4. Unfortunately you cannot copy the text from the Task Log window.
But there is a way to get Agent to write the same information to
a file "agent.log".
Post back if you need to do this.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

𝑇ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑛𝑜 𝑚𝑎𝑔𝑖𝑐 𝑖𝑛 𝑚𝑎𝑔𝑖𝑐, 𝑖𝑡’𝑠 𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑖𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑑𝑒𝑡𝑎𝑖𝑙𝑠.