From: t2000kw@nospam.net.invalid (Donald)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Creating a kill or watch filter for an IP address
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 18:05:44 -0400
 by: Donald - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:05 UTC

I have Agent 8. I am getting spam from one particular range of IP addresses. Is
there a way to set up an email filter for an IP address range with the last 3
digits as a wildcard? Like: 45.46.47.???

If so, can someone help me out?

Thanks!!!

Re: Creating a kill or watch filter for an IP address

<61o28itl400a9j3aq950n3rlptopigrepj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5044&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5044

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 18:05:27 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 06:05 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 18:05:44 -0400, Donald wrote:

> I have Agent 8. I am getting spam from one particular range of IP addresses. Is
> there a way to set up an email filter for an IP address range with the last 3
> digits as a wildcard? Like: 45.46.47.???
>
> If so, can someone help me out?
>
> Thanks!!!

Start by trying this filter out for size:

received: {\[45\.46\.47\.([0-9]+)\]}

Whether this filter will actually work for you depends on how email
headers such as 'Received' are populated by your email provider (and
by any other mail servers between the spammer and you).

To create this spam filter I have had to assume several things about
your spam messages, because I cannot tell enough from your post.

ASSUMPTION #1
The IP address appears in a 'Received' header, not in any other
email header.

Some of my emails from 14 years ago did have a header like this:
But no recent emails do.
YMMV for your account which receives this spam.

ASSUMPTION #2
In the 'Received' headers, the real sending IP address is inside
square brackets.

This is true for 2 out of 3 of my email accounts (only).
YMMV for your account which receives this spam.

For example, if a 'Received' header looks like this
then I expect 100.64.127.13 is the real sending IP address,
246.168.49.13 is a fake IP address provided by the sender,
and 10.20.30.40 is the IP address of the receiving mail server
at your email provider.

ASSUMPTION #3
The IP address which you are trying to block is the real IP
address, not a fake one provided by the sender/spammer.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Creating a kill or watch filter for an IP address

<4uc1ail5st9niuqinr29k7rp93f8vtdkt9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5096&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5096

From: t2000kw@nospam.net.invalid (Donald)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 19:16:57 -0400
 by: Donald - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 23:16 UTC

Ralph,

Thanks. I'll wrap my head around this tomorrow. I appreciate it.

Donald