From: Roberta@Roberta.com (Roberta)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Mail for Android
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 11:10:00 -0700
 by: Roberta - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:10 UTC

All you smarties here.

Looking for better mail app for Android. Free is preferable.
GMail is terrible.
Motorola Ace 5G phone with no sophisticated mail app.
It is the verizon downgraded Ace. Cheap ass verizon ! Less memory and
who knows what else taken away and at a price of the full up version
provided elsewhere.

Tried Outlook and it stinks.
Has terrible voice to text and keeps wanting to scroll what I input off
the viewing area when trying to exit. M$ does not know how to write an
email app. Junk.
Outlook Voice to text keeps quitting or hanging up and I have to keep
punching icons to make it re-engage.
Does not have auto BCC to myself option so I loose what I send. Want
for my records. Things in menus that should be ICONS.

Prefer mail app provider that uses no servers to store my emails.
I can store my emails on my multiple NAS farm. Or BCC to another
provider as a last resort.

Re: Mail for Android

<tqq8khlga473p7gqrs84aapln88clkl4ls@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5025&group=alt.windows7.general#5025

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Mail for Android
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 12:09:12 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 19:09 UTC

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 11:10:00 -0700, Roberta <Roberta@Roberta.com>
wrote:

>All you smarties here.
>
>Looking for better mail app for Android. Free is preferable.

I use and like Bluemail. In the past I've also used and liked K9,

>GMail is terrible.

Gmail is not an "app" It's a mail provider. It's also a web site where
you can read and send Gmail e-mail.

But when you say it's terrible, if you're thinking of the Gmail web
site, I agree with you As far as I'm concerned, all web-based e-mail
is terrible.

However note that you don't have to use the Gmail web site to read and
send Gmail e-mail. You can use any e-mail program. I have and use two
e-mail accounts and I do both of them in Bluemail

>Motorola Ace 5G phone with no sophisticated mail app.
>It is the verizon downgraded Ace. Cheap ass verizon ! Less memory and
>who knows what else taken away and at a price of the full up version
>provided elsewhere.
>
>Tried Outlook and it stinks.
>Has terrible voice to text and keeps wanting to scroll what I input off
>the viewing area when trying to exit. M$ does not know how to write an
>email app. Junk.
>Outlook Voice to text keeps quitting or hanging up and I have to keep
>punching icons to make it re-engage.
>Does not have auto BCC to myself option so I loose what I send. Want
>for my records. Things in menus that should be ICONS.
>
>Prefer mail app provider that uses no servers to store my emails.
>I can store my emails on my multiple NAS farm. Or BCC to another
>provider as a last resort.

Re: Mail for Android

<6atcqxkuk9um.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5031&group=alt.windows7.general#5031

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 12:26:37 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 17:26 UTC

Roberta <Roberta@Roberta.com> wrote:

> All you smarties here.
>
> Looking for better mail app for Android. Free is preferable.
> GMail is terrible.

So, we're supposed to suggest alternatives without knowing just what you
think is terrible resulting in possible suggestions that would be just
as terrible. Specific please.

You mention Android. You mention Gmail which could mean Google's e-mail
server, their webclient, or their Android app.

By the way, this is a newsgroup about Windows 7, not about the Android
platform. For questions regarding Android, head over to ---.
..-----------------------------------------------------------'
'---> comp.mobile.android

Later you mix Windows, NAS, and Android together. Since you haven't
identified on which platform you want help, I'm going forward under the
assumption you wanted Android help, not Windows help (this newsgroup).

> Motorola Ace 5G phone with no sophisticated mail app.

You get the bundleware they included. If you want something different,
that's your choice to find and install something different.

> It is the verizon downgraded Ace. Cheap ass verizon ! Less memory and
> who knows what else taken away and at a price of the full up version
> provided elsewhere.

You bought the phone from Verizon, but didn't know what was its specs
beforehand?

> Tried Outlook and it stinks.

On Android as you first asked about? Or on Windows?

> Has terrible voice to text and keeps wanting to scroll what I input off
> the viewing area when trying to exit.

If you are truly exited the Outlook app, how could anything regarding
scrolling be a problem? The app has exited. It can't do anything
anymore.

Obviously if you say more than the viewing area for the transcribed text
then the viewing area has to scroll to show you what is getting input.
Worse would be if you were speaking and the display did not scroll, so
you couldn't see what was getting inputted.

> M$ does not know how to write an email app. Junk.

So far, both the Gmail and Outlook apps (presumably on Android) are junk
to you. Seems more of a problem with the user than with the apps.

> Outlook Voice to text keeps quitting or hanging up and I have to keep
> punching icons to make it re-engage.

The Outlook Android app does not have a voice-to-text function. Neither
does the Gmail Android app.

I use the Outlook app for Android. There is no voice-to-text feature,
so you are using something else, and that something else is causing all
the problems (which I cannot reproduce, but then the scenario to produce
has not yet been described).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.outlook

You see a voice-to-text feature listed there? Nope. When you click the
microphone icon in the virtual keyboard, that is using the Google input
service for voice to text conversion. If that voice-to-text service
doesn't match your needs, try something else, like Dragon Anywhere, but
that charges money because it is a more professional tool ($15/mo, or
$150/yr). Or, you could ask Google for a refund on their free app and
free service.

> Does not have auto BCC to myself option so I loose what I send. Want
> for my records. Things in menus that should be ICONS.

A copy of sent messages is ... wait for it ... in the Sent folder.

When composing a new e-mail, tap the down chevron at the right end of
the To: input field to see more input headers. Tapping the chevron
shows To, CC, and BCC. The chevron is shown in both the Gmail and
Outlook apps. Tap and discover.

> Prefer mail app provider that uses no servers to store my emails.

So just how is e-mail supposed to work without involving e-mail servers?
Have the message float in the air as a bubble that might pop when it
reaches the recipient(s)? Or by magic?

E-mail is not chatting, and even chatting has servers. You are sending
messages across the Internet, so servers will be involved - unless you
are building your own network using your own servers, but even then
servers are involved. You are using a client that connects to an
account to retrieve or send messages. The servers deliver messages
between accounts.

> I can store my emails on my multiple NAS farm. Or BCC to another
> provider as a last resort.

So, you are sending messages only inside your own network that somehow
incorporates both e-mail servers (POP, IMAP, SMTP, Exchange) along with
providing its own cellular repeaters with servers to connect to your
e-mail servers?

Just WHAT do you have running as servers on your NAS farm? Is it really
a farm with front-end servers that decide to which host to connect for
which service, or just a bunch of NAS reachable hosts?

Storing message stores on NAS is not supported by most e-mail clients,
and definitely not by Android clients.