War isn't a good life, but it's life. -- Kirk, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: social media disruption

SubjectAuthor
* Re: social media disruptionStainless Steel Rat
+* Re: social media disruptionRetro Guy
|`* Re: Re: social media disruptionThe Running Man
| `* Re: social media disruptionRetro Guy
|  `* Re: social media disruptionThe Running Man
|   `* Re: social media disruptionRetro Guy
|    `* Re: social media disruptionD
|     `* Re: social media disruptionRayner Lucas
|      +- Re: social media disruptionScott Dorsey
|      `- Re: social media disruptionD
`- Re: social media disruptionD

1
Re: social media disruption

<20240306142654.BFEBD1200A9@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=488&group=alt.fan.usenet#488

Subject: Re: social media disruption
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:26:54 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Author-Supplied-Address: ssr<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1] (Stainless Steel Rat)
 by: Stainless Steel Rat - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:26 UTC

On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:32:36 +0100 (CET), D <J@M> said:

> (using Tor Browser 13.0.10)

There's been a TBB point-update to 13.0.11

> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=facebook+instagram+outage+2024
>
> usenet is always available, does not require login, and is where many
> former google groups users are finding new ways to stay connected ...

I haven't seen a lot of evidence of former GG users, to be honest. I'll bet
most of 'em are on FB, however <barf>.

Stainless Steel Rat

Re: social media disruption

<030b30c94b11a2d2db82bfd0577de3b8@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=489&group=alt.fan.usenet#489

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:44:43 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:44 UTC

Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:32:36 +0100 (CET), D <J@M> said:

>> (using Tor Browser 13.0.10)

> There's been a TBB point-update to 13.0.11

>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=facebook+instagram+outage+2024
>>
>> usenet is always available, does not require login, and is where many
>> former google groups users are finding new ways to stay connected ...

> I haven't seen a lot of evidence of former GG users, to be honest. I'll bet
> most of 'em are on FB, however <barf>.

I find the same. I have quite a few GG users that have moved to www.novabbs.com, and a few also to using my news server, but it's really only a tiny amount of GG users. I followed some discussions in groups about where to go post GG, and most seem to think that the best choice is another big site (Facebook, Reddit). It seems the mindset being that GG was a forum (not Usenet), so just move to another forum. Now they get to use a site that could just as easily evict them, and lose all their message history.

I'm guessing most GG users of Usenet groups had/have no idea of Usenet, so just believed their forum was closing.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Re: social media disruption

<gPDTfAdmplXunX8HW/TbnJX/Ob9ZRNUIJsM3MbtqkJY=@writeable.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=490&group=alt.fan.usenet#490

From: runningman@writeable.com (The Running Man)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Subject: Re: Re: social media disruption
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:50:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Running Man - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:50 UTC

On 06/03/2024 14:44 Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com>
wrote:
> Stainless Steel Rat wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:32:36 +0100 (CET), D <J@M> said:
>
>>> (using Tor Browser 13.0.10)
>
>> There's been a TBB point-update to 13.0.11
>
>>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=facebook+instagram+outage+2024
>>>
>>> usenet is always available, does not require login, and is where many
>>> former google groups users are finding new ways to stay connected ...
>
>> I haven't seen a lot of evidence of former GG users, to be honest. I'll bet
>> most of 'em are on FB, however <barf>.
>
> I find the same. I have quite a few GG users that have moved to www.novabbs.com, and a few also to using my news server, but it's really only a tiny amount of GG users. I followed some discussions in groups about where to go post GG, and most seem to think that the best choice is another big site (Facebook, Reddit). It seems the mindset being that GG was a forum (not Usenet), so just move to another forum. Now they get to use a site that could just as easily evict them, and lose all their message history.
>
> I'm guessing most GG users of Usenet groups had/have no idea of Usenet, so just believed their forum was closing.
>
> --
> Retro Guy

So NovaBBS is a UseNet that's separate from the "real" usenet and only accessible though a web browser?

Re: social media disruption

<7e3086d6aef0b12cb95e84b10d1ddd30@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=491&group=alt.fan.usenet#491

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:06:05 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:06 UTC

The Running Man wrote:

> On 06/03/2024 14:44 Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com>
> wrote:
>> Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

>>> There's been a TBB point-update to 13.0.11

>>> I haven't seen a lot of evidence of former GG users, to be honest. I'll bet
>>> most of 'em are on FB, however <barf>.
>>
>> I find the same. I have quite a few GG users that have moved to www.novabbs.com, and a few also to using my news server, but it's really only a tiny amount of GG users. I followed some discussions in groups about where to go post GG, and most seem to think that the best choice is another big site (Facebook, Reddit). It seems the mindset being that GG was a forum (not Usenet), so just move to another forum. Now they get to use a site that could just as easily evict them, and lose all their message history.
>>
>> I'm guessing most GG users of Usenet groups had/have no idea of Usenet, so just believed their forum was closing.
>>
>> --
>> Retro Guy

> So NovaBBS is a UseNet that's separate from the "real" usenet and only accessible though a web browser?

No, it's Usenet. If I made it sound otherwise, sorry about that. NovaBBS simply provides a forum style interface to Usenet.

I'm posting using a web interface right now.

--
Retro Guy

Re: social media disruption

<86b646338df366008ac45f2dae73354e@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=492&group=alt.fan.usenet#492

From: J@M (D)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:46:28 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
 by: D - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:46 UTC

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:26:54 +0000 (GMT), Stainless Steel Rat <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:32:36 +0100 (CET), D <J@M> said:
>> (using Tor Browser 13.0.10)
>
>There's been a TBB point-update to 13.0.11

ditto, "automatically install updates" set by default

>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=facebook+instagram+outage+2024
>> usenet is always available, does not require login, and is where many
>> former google groups users are finding new ways to stay connected ...
>
>I haven't seen a lot of evidence of former GG users, to be honest. I'll bet
>most of 'em are on FB, however <barf>.
>Stainless Steel Rat

seems like those on the inside tend to want to stay there, and
similarly those on the outside tend to want to stay there...or
here as the case may be; social media is made for the in-crowd

Re: social media disruption

<iA9uRh/mI/Fd7wGh41hPrxvnoK1t4qsnBmi4q0s1Cz0=@writeable.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=493&group=alt.fan.usenet#493

From: runningman@writeable.com (The Running Man)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 08:47:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Running Man - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 08:47 UTC

On 06/03/2024 15:06 Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com> wrote:
> The Running Man wrote:
>

>> On 06/03/2024 14:44 Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I find the same. I have quite a few GG users that have moved to www.novabbs.com, and a few also to using my news server, but it's really only a tiny amount of GG users. I followed some discussions in groups about where to go post GG, and most seem to think that the best choice is another big site (Facebook, Reddit). It seems the mindset being that GG was a forum (not Usenet), so just move to another forum. Now they get to use a site that could just as easily evict them, and lose all their message history.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing most GG users of Usenet groups had/have no idea of Usenet, so just believed their forum was closing.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Retro Guy
>
>> So NovaBBS is a UseNet that's separate from the "real" usenet and only accessible though a web browser?
>
> No, it's Usenet. If I made it sound otherwise, sorry about that. NovaBBS simply provides a forum style interface to Usenet.
>
> I'm posting using a web interface right now.
>
> --
> Retro Guy

NovaBBS would be great if it carried more niewsgroups. Maybe they should surveil which newsgroups are the most active and add those.

Re: social media disruption

<8eff4f451aee99fecc963cbbd0873a9f@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=494&group=alt.fan.usenet#494

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:17:26 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:17 UTC

The Running Man wrote:

> On 06/03/2024 15:06 Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com> wrote:
>> The Running Man wrote:

>>> So NovaBBS is a UseNet that's separate from the "real" usenet and only accessible though a web browser?
>>
>> No, it's Usenet. If I made it sound otherwise, sorry about that. NovaBBS simply provides a forum style interface to Usenet.
>>
>> I'm posting using a web interface right now.
>>
>> --
>> Retro Guy

> NovaBBS would be great if it carried more niewsgroups. Maybe they should surveil which newsgroups are the most active and add those.

That's been done a few times by myself, but there are a lot of newsgroups. At this point I pretty much just rely on requests, or if I happen upon a group that is a good candidate (somewhat active, somewhat useful).

--
Retro Guy

Re: social media disruption

<b0c65da1-3763-bde8-c8d3-c8003a815188@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=495&group=alt.fan.usenet#495

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:49:28 +0100
 by: D - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:49 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024, Retro Guy wrote:

> The Running Man wrote:

>>> No, it's Usenet. If I made it sound otherwise, sorry about that. NovaBBS
>>> simply provides a forum style interface to Usenet.
>>>
>>> I'm posting using a web interface right now.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Retro Guy
>
>> NovaBBS would be great if it carried more niewsgroups. Maybe they should
>> surveil which newsgroups are the most active and add those.
>
> That's been done a few times by myself, but there are a lot of newsgroups. At
> this point I pretty much just rely on requests, or if I happen upon a group
> that is a good candidate (somewhat active, somewhat useful).

Could you give any recommendations on active groups? I have about 30 of
which let's say 10 are meaningfully active, but always on the lookout for
more. =)

Re: social media disruption

<MPG.405c4be842dbf7269896dc@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=496&group=alt.fan.usenet#496

From: usenet202101@magic-cookie.co.ukNOSPAMPLEASE (Rayner Lucas)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:49:33 -0000
 by: Rayner Lucas - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:49 UTC

In article <b0c65da1-3763-bde8-c8d3-c8003a815188@example.net>,
nospam@example.net says...
> Could you give any recommendations on active groups? I have about 30 of
> which let's say 10 are meaningfully active, but always on the lookout for
> more. =)

You could check out some of the ones listed here:

https://www.big-8.org/w/images/3/3e/Sample-newsrc.txt

Regards,

Re: social media disruption

<usth3b$mph$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=497&group=alt.fan.usenet#497

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: 14 Mar 2024 00:41:15 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 00:41 UTC

In article <MPG.405c4be842dbf7269896dc@news.eternal-september.org>,
Rayner Lucas <usenet202101@magic-cookie.co.ukNOSPAMPLEASE> wrote:
>In article <b0c65da1-3763-bde8-c8d3-c8003a815188@example.net>,
>nospam@example.net says...
>> Could you give any recommendations on active groups? I have about 30 of
>> which let's say 10 are meaningfully active, but always on the lookout for
>> more. =)
>
>You could check out some of the ones listed here:
>
>https://www.big-8.org/w/images/3/3e/Sample-newsrc.txt

What about alt.drugs.i.am.totaly.wasted?
--scott

Re: social media disruption

<94b1d083-cbb5-f447-e95c-20077d9994f3@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=498&group=alt.fan.usenet#498

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:08:04 +0100
 by: D - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:08 UTC

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024, Rayner Lucas wrote:

> In article <b0c65da1-3763-bde8-c8d3-c8003a815188@example.net>,
> nospam@example.net says...
>> Could you give any recommendations on active groups? I have about 30 of
>> which let's say 10 are meaningfully active, but always on the lookout for
>> more. =)
>
> You could check out some of the ones listed here:
>
> https://www.big-8.org/w/images/3/3e/Sample-newsrc.txt
>
> Regards,

Thank you Rayner, will do!

Best regards,
Daniel

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: social media disruption