Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 21:19:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Updating Agent
From: robynlizlam@gmail.com (Robyn Lam)
 by: Robyn Lam - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 04:19 UTC

I have been using Agent 1.9 since way back in the mists of time and I loved it but when Win 1 0 updated it stopped working, it would not even run. So I downloaded Agent 6 and installed it over my old Agent and after a huge amount of drama it imported all my old emails and folders, TWO lots of identical folders in the tree, and my email address book and a bunch of news group folders even though I have not used Agent for newsgroups for many years when my ISP dropped groups, I only use Agent for email. So I try to buy a new key but the payment page does NOT work and no charge appeared on my credit card however I received an email from Agent telling me that my payment was received!!!
All I want at the moment is to be able to buy a new key and upgrade to a paid version!!! I tried to download and install Agent 8 but got a file the either removed or repaired my existing agent. I tried downloading and installing Agent 7 but it said I already had a later edition of Agent installed and stopped the install. I DON'T have a later version than Agent 6 installed. The most important thing at the moment is to be able to pay for a new key so the Agent 6 keeps working

Re: Updating Agent

<eqjv2i9p0lkh5thehias3q2tr4chhnt5ra@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4949&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4949

From: hope@hope.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Updating Agent
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 09:17:20 +0100
 by: hope@hope.com - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 08:17 UTC

On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 21:19:32 -0700 (PDT), Robyn Lam <robynlizlam@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have been using Agent 1.9 since way back in the mists of time and I loved it but when Win 1 0 updated it stopped working, it would not even run. So I downloaded Agent 6 and installed it over my old Agent and after a huge amount of drama it imported all my old emails and folders, TWO lots of identical folders in the tree, and my email address book and a bunch of news group folders even though I have not used Agent for newsgroups for many years when my ISP dropped groups, I only use Agent for email. So I try to buy a new key but the payment page does NOT work and no charge appeared on my credit card however I received an email from Agent telling me that my payment was received!!!
>All I want at the moment is to be able to buy a new key and upgrade to a paid version!!! I tried to download and install Agent 8 but got a file the either removed or repaired my existing agent. I tried downloading and installing Agent 7 but it said I already had a later edition of Agent installed and stopped the install. I DON'T have a later version than Agent 6 installed. The most important thing at the moment is to be able to pay for a new key so the Agent 6 keeps working

Ha HA HA HA HA

You are lucky. see my post mate "payment for serial code"

I have done it three times now and NOTHING FROM THEM

I get the same fault

No wonder people go and get a pirate serial number.

When you want to PAY for it they do not just come back

One of the chaps on here got back to me and said it was only a house and an old bloke running it

well the last time I had "YES DID GET ONE " from them it was a lady

Like you I have had it since 1995

I will wait for any more help HOPING

Re: Updating Agent

<eqjv2ihibmh0hoag8l6i7c9am0sl0p1obb@news80.forteinc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4950&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4950

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 09:23:22 +0000
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 09:23 UTC

On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 21:19:32 -0700 (PDT), Robyn Lam wrote:

> I have been using Agent 1.9 since way back in the mists of time and
> I loved it but when Win 1 0 updated it stopped working, it would not
> even run. So I downloaded Agent 6 and installed it over my old
> Agent and after a huge amount of drama it imported all my old emails
> and folders, TWO lots of identical folders in the tree, and my email
> address book and a bunch of news group folders even though I have
> not used Agent for newsgroups for many years when my ISP dropped
> groups, I only use Agent for email. So I try to buy a new key but
> the payment page does NOT work and no charge appeared on my credit
> card however I received an email from Agent telling me that my
> payment was received!!!
> All I want at the moment is to be able to buy a new key and upgrade
> to a paid version!!! I tried to download and install Agent 8 but got
> a file the either removed or repaired my existing agent. I tried
> downloading and installing Agent 7 but it said I already had a
> later edition of Agent installed and stopped the install. I DON'T
> have a later version than Agent 6 installed. The most important
> thing at the moment is to be able to pay for a new key so the Agent
> 6 keeps working

Agent 1.9 runs here in Windows 10 with all updates (except for the
Agent 1.9 help file). The important thing is that the Agent data files
(AGENT.INI, *.dat, *.idx) should NOT be anywhere under "Program Files"
or "Program Files (x86)".

There are two ways to set this up.

1. The simplest way is to have installed Agent 1.9 somewhere
outside "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".

For example
* agent.exe installed in "C:\Old Programs\Agent"
* Agent's data files in "C:\Old Programs\Agent\Data"

2. The more secure way have the Agent 1.9 program installed
in the standard "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"
but keep the data somewhere else.

The shortcut you use to start Agent must be configured to tell
Agent where to find AGENT.INI and the other data files.

For example
* agent.exe installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent"
* Agent's data files in "Documents\Agent\Data"
* In the shortcut used to start Agent 1.9. set the 'Target'
field to this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent\agent.exe" "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Agent\Data\AGENT.INI"

To keep your existing messages and data, you will need a backup copy
of your Agent 1.9 data files. Once Agent 6 has been run over the
data files, they will have been converted to Agent 6 format and may
not work properly with Agent 1.9.

You can use a copy of WinHlp32.exe from Windows XP to open the
Agent 1.9 help file. It just doesn't open from within Agent 1.9.

As for buying a new key...

Your best bet may be to get Agent 1.9 working again while you are waiting.

I don't believe this group can help with the internals of Forté's
purchasing system. What I would suggest doing is this:

1) Go to Forté's "Agent Newsreader Support" page at
<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/support.php>

2) On that page, use the link "Send an email to Agent Order Inquiry"
to send an email.
IMPORTANT NOTE
If you have disabled JavaScript then this link will not work.

3) Wait however long it takes until you get a reply.

I cannot know how long it will take for this problem to be fixed.
This could take some time.

Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Live each day as if it were your last - but pay the bills just in case it isn't.

Re: Updating Agent

<vjs03ip5jv1kbcpf5h978dktjr9jibbmn2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4954&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4954

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 07:54:46 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 19:54 UTC

On Fri, 07 Apr 2023 09:23:22 +0000, Ralph Fox wrote:

> Agent 1.9 runs here in Windows 10 with all updates (except for the
> Agent 1.9 help file). The important thing is that the Agent data files
> (AGENT.INI, *.dat, *.idx) should NOT be anywhere under "Program Files"
> or "Program Files (x86)".

Also, do not let the Agent 1.9 installer run Agent for you. Uncheck
the installer option to run Agent.

See this entry in Forté's Agent Newsreader FAQ
"Only runs once when installed in Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8"
<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#D916C8C48CD8C0EA852572B5006CFF7F>

This FAQ entry also applies to Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows 11.

> There are two ways to set this up.
>
> 1. The simplest way is to have installed Agent 1.9 somewhere
> outside "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".
>
> For example
> * agent.exe installed in "C:\Old Programs\Agent"
> * Agent's data files in "C:\Old Programs\Agent\Data"
>

> 2. The more secure way have the Agent 1.9 program installed
> in the standard "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"
> but keep the data somewhere else.
>
> The shortcut you use to start Agent must be configured to tell
> Agent where to find AGENT.INI and the other data files.
>
> For example
> * agent.exe installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent"
> * Agent's data files in "Documents\Agent\Data"
> * In the shortcut used to start Agent 1.9. set the 'Target'
> field to this:
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent\agent.exe" "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Agent\Data\AGENT.INI"

When using option 2, configure the shortcut before first starting Agent.

--
Regards
Ralph

Betere byþ oft feðre þonne oferfeðre.