There can be no twisted thought without a twisted molecule. -- R. W. Gerard

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bi

SubjectAuthor
* transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bika6uup
+* transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 biDon Spam's Reckless Son
|`* transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bika6uup
| `* transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 biDaniel65
|  `* transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 biDon Spam's Reckless Son
|   +- transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bifrg
|   `- transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 biDaniel65
`* transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bika6uup
 `- transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bifrg

1
transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bi

<u3qgiq$2k5ve$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=484&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#484

From: ka6uup@comcast.net (ka6uup)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bi
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 04:27:22 -0700
 by: ka6uup - Sun, 14 May 2023 11:27 UTC

Can someone direct me to instructions on how to do this
Thanks, Chuck

Re: transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bi

<u3qhkm$2ka9r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=485&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#485

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 13:45:25 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Sun, 14 May 2023 11:45 UTC

ka6uup wrote:
> Can someone direct me to instructions on how to do this
> Thanks, Chuck

1. Download the 64-bit version
2. Uninstall the 32-bit version (important!)
3. Install the 64-bit version.

Your Seamonkey will look for a profile in the normal place and will use
it, there may be a couple of settings (memory cache?) which vary between
32-bit and 64-bit but I never had a problem when using the default
settings, and I have never heard of anyone else having a problem either.

Re: transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bi

<u3qhuq$2kaqu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=486&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#486

From: ka6uup@comcast.net (ka6uup)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 04:50:50 -0700
 by: ka6uup - Sun, 14 May 2023 11:50 UTC

Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> ka6uup wrote:
>> Can someone direct me to instructions on how to do this
>> Thanks, Chuck
>
> 1. Download the 64-bit version
> 2. Uninstall the 32-bit version (important!)
> 3. Install the 64-bit version.
>
> Your Seamonkey will look for a profile in the normal place and will use
> it, there may be a couple of settings (memory cache?) which vary between
> 32-bit and 64-bit but I never had a problem when using the default
> settings, and I have never heard of anyone else having a problem either.
Sorry, I didn't give enough information. My bad.
I want to transfer the profile from a 32 bit computer to a different 64
bit computer.
Can I just copy the 32 bit profile to the profile on the 64 bit computer

Re: transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bi

<u3qjv6$2kkcp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=487&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#487

From: ka6uup@comcast.net (ka6uup)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 05:25:09 -0700
 by: ka6uup - Sun, 14 May 2023 12:25 UTC

ka6uup wrote:
> Can someone direct me to instructions on how to do this
> Thanks, Chuck
I should include more info. This is a profile from a 32 bit computer
being transferred to a 64 bit laptop. Are laptop profiles different?

Re: transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bi

<kcc4d3Fijp0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=488&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#488

From: frgrahl@gmx.net (frg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 15:01:22 +0200
 by: frg - Sun, 14 May 2023 13:01 UTC

ka6uup wrote:
> ka6uup wrote:
>> Can someone direct me to instructions on how to do this
>> Thanks, Chuck
> I should include more info. This is a profile from a 32 bit computer being
> transferred to a 64 bit laptop. Are laptop profiles different?

They are in the same location %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming

Unless it is a pre 2.49.x profile should cause no problems.

Remove the %userprofile%\AppData\Local\mozilla folder. Contains temporary
cache data like safebrowsing lists and any profile data in there is probably
dead after transfering different profiles from a different system. Depends on
the profile name but everything there will be fetched new if needed.

FRG

Re: transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bi

<u3qobj$2l38o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=489&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#489

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 23:40:02 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Sun, 14 May 2023 13:40 UTC

ka6uup wrote on 14/5/23 9:50 pm:
> Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>> ka6uup wrote:
>>> Can someone direct me to instructions on how to do this Thanks,
>>> Chuck
>>
>> 1. Download the 64-bit version 2. Uninstall the 32-bit version
>> (important!) 3. Install the 64-bit version.
>>
>> Your Seamonkey will look for a profile in the normal place and will
>> use it, there may be a couple of settings (memory cache?) which
>> vary between 32-bit and 64-bit but I never had a problem when using
>> the default settings, and I have never heard of anyone else having
>> a problem either.
> Sorry, I didn't give enough information. My bad. I want to transfer
> the profile from a 32 bit computer to a different 64 bit computer.
> Can I just copy the 32 bit profile to the profile on the 64 bit
> computer

Yes .... but a bit more difficult than Don suggested.

On your 32bit computer with SeaMonkey running, have a look at Edit ->
Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings -> Server Settings and, at the
bottom of that screen you will see 'Local directory'. That location is
where your profile is stored. Remember that location (write it down).

Now completely close SeaMonkey so that your Profile information will be
absolutely up-to-date (as I think SeaMonkey updates some of the profile
files when it closes).

Now go to that location in your Windows Explorer. Well, to be accurate,
you want to be one level up so that you include your 'Local Folders' and
your UseNet Account information directory as well. Copy those
directories/Folders to a USB drive or similar.

Now go to your 64bit computer on which I expect you have already
installed the 64 bit SeaMonkey. Start SeaMonkey and look at Edit -> Mail
& Newsgroups Account Settings -> Server Settings.

Close SeaMonkey and go to that location (or the one level up) in your
Windows Explorer and make a new folder (call it something distinctive,
'May23' perhaps) and copy the files from the USB drive or similar to the
new location. If you do the transfer via CD you will also have to make
the file Writeable so SeaMonkey can write to them as needed.

Now restart SeaMonkey, look at "Tools -> Switch Profiles" and you should
now see your relocated Profile listed there. Select it.

You might also want to go to 'Tools -> Profiles' in SeaMonkey on your
old 32Bit computer to see if there are any other profiles there which
might contain stuff you might need next week! ;-P
--
Daniel

Re: transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bi

<u3r8sv$2mr97$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=490&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#490

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 20:22:23 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Sun, 14 May 2023 18:22 UTC

Daniel65 wrote:
> ka6uup wrote on 14/5/23 9:50 pm:
>> Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. Download the 64-bit version 2. Uninstall the 32-bit version
>>> (important!) 3. Install the 64-bit version.
>>>
>>> Your Seamonkey will look for a profile in the normal place and will
>>>  use it, there may be a couple of settings (memory cache?) which
>>> vary between 32-bit and 64-bit but I never had a problem when using
>>> the default settings, and I have never heard of anyone else having
>>> a problem either.
>> Sorry, I didn't give enough information. My bad. I want to transfer
>> the profile from a 32 bit computer to a different 64 bit computer. Can
>> I just copy the 32 bit profile to the profile on the 64 bit
>> computer
>
> Yes .... but a bit more difficult than Don suggested.
>
> On your 32bit computer with SeaMonkey running, have a look at Edit ->
> Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings  -> Server Settings and, at the
> bottom of that screen you will see 'Local directory'. That location is
> where your profile is stored. Remember that location (write it down).
>
> Now completely close SeaMonkey so that your Profile information will be
> absolutely up-to-date (as I think SeaMonkey updates some of the profile
> files when it closes).
>
> Now go to that location in your Windows Explorer. Well, to be accurate,
> you want to be one level up so that you include your 'Local Folders' and
> your UseNet Account information directory as well. Copy those
> directories/Folders to a USB drive or similar.
>
> Now go to your 64bit computer on which I expect you have already
> installed the 64 bit SeaMonkey. Start SeaMonkey and look at Edit -> Mail
> & Newsgroups Account Settings -> Server Settings.
>
> Close SeaMonkey and go to that location (or the one level up) in your
> Windows Explorer and make a new folder (call it something distinctive,
> 'May23' perhaps) and copy the files from the USB drive or similar to the
> new location. If you do the transfer via CD you will also have to make
> the file Writeable so SeaMonkey can write to them as needed.
>
> Now restart SeaMonkey, look at "Tools -> Switch Profiles" and you should
>  now see your relocated Profile listed there. Select it.
>
> You might also want to go to 'Tools -> Profiles' in SeaMonkey on your
> old 32Bit computer to see if there are any other profiles there which
> might contain stuff you might need next week! ;-P

Well, I *was* assuming the 64-bit machine was the same machine as the
32-bit machine, and the instructions made that clear.
Migrating a profile to another machine is a different action.

Re: transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bi

<kccpp9Flp4vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=491&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#491

From: frgrahl@gmx.net (frg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 21:06:16 +0200
 by: frg - Sun, 14 May 2023 19:06 UTC

Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> Daniel65 wrote:
>> ka6uup wrote on 14/5/23 9:50 pm:
>
> Well, I *was* assuming the 64-bit machine was the same machine as the 32-bit
> machine, and the instructions made that clear.
> Migrating a profile to another machine is a different action.

Not really if the user name is identical. Just one backup/copy step more.
Otherwise needs tweaks in the files but this is undocumented territory then.

FRG

Re: transfering profile from seamonkey 32 bit to seamonkey 64 bi

<u3t00u$314o1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=493&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#493

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 20:03:10 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Mon, 15 May 2023 10:03 UTC

Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 15/5/23 4:22 am:
> Daniel65 wrote:

<Snip>

>> You might also want to go to 'Tools -> Profiles' in SeaMonkey on your
>> old 32Bit computer to see if there are any other profiles there which
>> might contain stuff you might need next week! ;-P
>
> Well, I *was* assuming the 64-bit machine was the same machine as the
> 32-bit machine, and the instructions made that clear.
> Migrating a profile to another machine is a different action.

No problem, Don. I think I might have responded just like you ....
before the move to a different computer became more apparent. ;-P
--
Daniel