From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: HTML differs from plain text
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 08:45:49 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 08:45 UTC

I receive regular emails from a local theatre, but several times
have noticed that the plain text wording is completely different
from that shown in HTML.

I guess that they create the new mailing by editing an old one,
but somehow the plain text remains unchanged.

Is there an explanation? What should I suggest they change?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: HTML differs from plain text

<mrsj1id2n3epnf3hnrceq3onatd908e9io@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4909&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4909

From: arthur@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: HTML differs from plain text
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:18:19 -0400
 by: Arthur T. - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 18:18 UTC

In Message-ID:<jcri1it9j55iqkg5q2s8qb6alr5nkq2dcg@4ax.com>,
Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:

>I receive regular emails from a local theatre, but several times
>have noticed that the plain text wording is completely different
>from that shown in HTML.
>
>I guess that they create the new mailing by editing an old one,
>but somehow the plain text remains unchanged.
>
>Is there an explanation? What should I suggest they change?

I know I'm in a minority, but I think you should suggest that they
not use HTML in e-mail. As someone else put it:

HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts
between consenting adults. Only done in private places where willing
parties, who have agreed beforehand, will see it!

In terms more like what you're asking, act dumb. Ask them why they're
sending the same thing each time, even though the Subject line
changes. Don't let them know you have even the capability to see the
HTML version.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: HTML differs from plain text

<mb3k1idaoujpcef9nmvvt9pdf7qi1u30nn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4910&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4910

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 09:39:53 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:39 UTC

On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 08:45:49 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

> I receive regular emails from a local theatre, but several times
> have noticed that the plain text wording is completely different
> from that shown in HTML.
>
> I guess that they create the new mailing by editing an old one,
> but somehow the plain text remains unchanged.
>
> Is there an explanation? What should I suggest they change?
>
> Chris

In a regular HTML email program, when they edit the HTML the plain
text is regenerated anew from the new HTML. And this problem does
not occur.

I would guess that the sender may be using either a bulk email
service or a special bulk email program, to send these emails to
a distribution list of over 100 recipients.

At a high level you have already said what to change. Change it
so the plain text wording is the same as the HTML.

As for the details of what to change to make this happen, that is
going to depend on what they are using to send these emails to a
distribution list. Each service or program has its own settings.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

๐Ÿ“ค๐Ÿ–…๐Ÿ–…๐Ÿ–…ใ€€โš ๏ธหขแต–แตƒแต๐Ÿ›‚๐Ÿ—‘๏ธใ€€๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿ“ฅใ€€๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿ“ฅใ€€๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿ“ฅ

Re: HTML differs from plain text

<20230321.215719.auof.9830@polak.dyn.dhs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4911&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4911

From: ma.po@gmx.com (Manfred Polak)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 21:57:15 +0100
 by: Manfred Polak - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:57 UTC

Chris J Dixon wrote:

>I receive regular emails from a local theatre, but several times
>have noticed that the plain text wording is completely different
>from that shown in HTML.
>
>Is there an explanation?

The Content-Type in the header is probably either multipart/alternative
or multipart/mixed, and in the body there are two MIME-parts, one
with Content-Type text/plain and one with text/HTML. There are even
more multipart types, like multipart/related, but these two are the most
commonly used.

In this case, Agent displays the part according to your HTML setting
(which you can toggle with Shift+'/'). Multipart/alternative is for
sending the same content both as plain text and HTML, but technically
the sender can write completely different content in these parts.
Multipart/mixed is for sending different content, for instance the
real content in the HTML part and something like "Please activate
HTML" or "Click here for the web version" (followed by a link) in
the plain text part.

Only when the Content-Type in the header is text/HTML, there is no
plain text part in the body. In this case, Agent creates the plain text
wording from the HTML text, and there can be no significant difference
between the two versions.

Manfred