From: fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Connection fault
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 12:47:02 +0000
 by: fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 12:47 UTC

Hi version 8

I have this problem

1....all setup all okay press "test connection" comes back with "all okay"

2....BUT when I load agent and it goes to get emails it comes back with " connection closed
unexpected error closed by server"

3......BUT if then I press the icon to get new emails it connects all okay and gets my emails

4......I close agent then open up again the same thing happens ,

5.....Press get new emails and it works okay and gets my emails

5.....I have even put it in auto mode so it gets emails when agent loads BUT the same fault

Thank you

fred

Re: Connection fault

<gd951it7is9950djb1opb2qnelipi21cjd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4898&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4898

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Connection fault
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:09:44 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 06:09 UTC

On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 12:47:02 +0000, fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm wrote:

> Hi version 8
> I have this problem
>
> 1....all setup all okay press "test connection" comes back with "all okay"
> 2....BUT when I load agent and it goes to get emails it comes back with " connection closed
> unexpected error closed by server"
> 3......BUT if then I press the icon to get new emails it connects all okay and gets my emails
> 4......I close agent then open up again the same thing happens ,
> 5.....Press get new emails and it works okay and gets my emails
> 5.....I have even put it in auto mode so it gets emails when agent loads BUT the same fault

When I use "test connection" on an inbound email server, my Agent
sends only these 3 POP commands to the server:
    USER
    PASS
    STAT

When I get emails, my Agent sends all these 5 different POP commands
to the server:
    USER
    PASS
    STAT
    UIDL
    RETR

Maybe your Agent is getting the fault on one of the last 2 commands.

I suggest you do follow the steps below to find...
i) at which point the fault is occurring;
ii) What delay there is, if any, between Agent sending the POP command
and the error occurring.

To test getting new emails when Agent loads

1. Open the task log window (Tools >> Task Log) before you close
Agent. That way, the task log window will be open when Agent loads.

2. Close Agent with the task log window open.

3. Load Agent so it gets emails when agent loads.
If you did steps 1 and 2, the task log window will already be open.

4. Wait until the fault occurs.

5. Go look at the task log window (which should already be open).

In the task log window, the POP commands which Agent sends to
the server are prefixed by a couple of spaces and a '<'.

Check which POP command preceded the error.
Also check the time difference between the POP command and the error.

It may be that this is a server-related problem you will need to discuss
with your email service provider.

Also check your server settings have the host name recommended by your
email provider for you and your account (not for someone else's account).
If your email provider recommends, for example, that you yourself use
pop.lookout.gg, don't use pop.coolmail.gg or pop.lookout.pw. Not even
if someone else is using the other.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

“Þat me lutel ȝeueþ, he my lyf ys on,” quoþ Hendyng.

Re: Connection fault

<2rc51iprscu2jh3p65t1ll3efk0g6egmp9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4899&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4899

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:14:33 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 06:14 UTC

On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:09:44 +1300, Ralph Fox wrote:

> When I get emails, my Agent sends all these 5 different POP commands
> to the server:
>     USER
>     PASS
>     STAT
>     UIDL
>     RETR

Correction: 6 (six) different POP commands
    USER
    PASS
    STAT
    LIST