From: fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: print address book
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:44:10 +0000
 by: fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:44 UTC

Hi
version 8

I know I can export the address to xml format BUT I want to print the address book

I have looked on line for a converter from xml to excel format or any format so I the could print it
out

BUT all the ones that I can see you have to pay for them

I do not mind paying for anyone's work BUT I only want it just to print out ONCE so will not be
using it all the time

So

1....does any one know of a way to save and print out my address book other than the xml format

2.....If not can you recommend a program so that it will convert the xml

Thank you

Fred

Re: print address book

<fh2s0idqv8grdeg8gtr02v0kmi01af4i5u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4885&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4885

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: print address book
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 06:49:52 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 17:49 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:44:10 +0000, fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm wrote:

> Hi
> version 8
>
> I know I can export the address to xml format BUT I want to print the address book
>
> I have looked on line for a converter from xml to excel format or any format so I the could print it
> out
>
> BUT all the ones that I can see you have to pay for them
>
> I do not mind paying for anyone's work BUT I only want it just to print out ONCE so will not be
> using it all the time
>
> So
>
> 1....does any one know of a way to save and print out my address book other than the xml format
>
> 2.....If not can you recommend a program so that it will convert the xml

1) Use Dawn (the Address Book manager) version 5.4 to export Agent's
address book to CSV format. Excel can read CSV format.

<http://web.archive.org/web/20131030020722/http://mysite.verizon.net/zakharin/software/Dawn/>

2) The author's site (above) is archived, but plenty of download sites
have Dawn. Just Google for, Dawn address book converter.

Some results:
<https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/E-mail/Mail-Utilities/Dawn.shtml>
<https://dawn.software.informer.com/5.4/>
<https://download.cnet.com/Dawn/3000-2367_4-13924.html>
<https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dawn.html>

3) Dawn (the Address Book manager) needs a one-time configuration to
work with Agent, so it can find Agent's address book.
After installing Dawn, do this:
3.1 Run "Dawn Classic" from the start menu.
3.2 In Dawn, go to "Edit >> Preferences >> Program Preferences"
3.3 Select "Forte Agent" in the left box under "The following will not appear".
3.4 Click the button marked "->" to move Forte Agent to the right box
3.5 An "Open" window will appear
3.6 Navigate to your Agent database, select Agent's address book file "contact.xml"
and click "Open"
3.7 Click "OK" on Dawn's "Preferences" window to save the configuration.

4) To export your Agent address book to CSV
4.1 In Dawn, go to "File >> Open >> Open Address Book"
4.2 Select "Forte Agent" from the list, and click 'Next'.
(If you don't see "Forte Agent" listed, you need to do step 3.)
4.3 Go to "File >> Save >> Save as file..."
4.4 In 'Save as type', select "Comma Separated Values (*.csv)".

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🕵️📓 ⏩🌅⏩ 📃

Re: print address book

<g39s0idlvbiragnj36fno3t9v61ss8232a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4886&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4886

From: joegwinn@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:16:48 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:16 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:44:10 +0000, fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm wrote:

>Hi
>version 8
>
>I know I can export the address to xml format BUT I want to print the address book
>
>I have looked on line for a converter from xml to excel format or any format so I the could print it
>out
>
>BUT all the ones that I can see you have to pay for them
>
>I do not mind paying for anyone's work BUT I only want it just to print out ONCE so will not be
>using it all the time
>
>So
>
>1....does any one know of a way to save and print out my address book other than the xml format
>
>2.....If not can you recommend a program so that it will convert the xml

Many programmers' text (that is, code) editors will do this. May cost
money, but they are generally useful.

I use BBEdit (MacOS), and UltraEdit (Windows). Notepad++ may work.

Joe Gwinn

Re: print address book

<47es0itc2eqhvio4h3i8kdh2m67jvu7b7b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4887&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4887

From: not.in.use@invalid.xor (lisa)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:10:22 +0100
 by: lisa - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:10 UTC

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 06:49:52 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

> 1) Use Dawn (the Address Book manager) version 5.4 to export Agent's
> address book to CSV format. Excel can read CSV format.

Dawn has a big limitation.
It only selects the type source="user" and source="addsender" .
The type source="routing" is not present when you open an Agent .xml
file with Dawn. The "routing" type is used for all your business mail
and is present in your saved Agent .xml file.
That makes Dawn useless as address book help tool.

Re: print address book

<9bqt0idr4p4p1vl31je1vni7cu2turhm7a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4891&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4891

From: fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:15:59 +0000
 by: fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:15 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:16:48 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:44:10 +0000, fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>version 8
>>
>>I know I can export the address to xml format BUT I want to print the address book
>>
>>I have looked on line for a converter from xml to excel format or any format so I the could print it
>>out
>>
>>BUT all the ones that I can see you have to pay for them
>>
>>I do not mind paying for anyone's work BUT I only want it just to print out ONCE so will not be
>>using it all the time
>>
>>So
>>
>>1....does any one know of a way to save and print out my address book other than the xml format
>>
>>2.....If not can you recommend a program so that it will convert the xml
>>

>Many programmers' text (that is, code) editors will do this. May cost
>money, but they are generally useful.
>
>I use BBEdit (MacOS), and UltraEdit (Windows). Notepad++ may work.
>
>Joe Gwinn

Hi

I do not want to edit it , I want to convert it so I can print it out

Thank you

Fred

Re: print address book

<ofqt0i5eacsg6vgojgpt5br76sotmareo8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4892&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4892

From: fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:20:44 +0000
 by: fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:20 UTC

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 06:49:52 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:44:10 +0000, fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> version 8
>>
>> I know I can export the address to xml format BUT I want to print the address book
>>
>> I have looked on line for a converter from xml to excel format or any format so I the could print it
>> out
>>
>> BUT all the ones that I can see you have to pay for them
>>
>> I do not mind paying for anyone's work BUT I only want it just to print out ONCE so will not be
>> using it all the time
>>
>> So
>>
>> 1....does any one know of a way to save and print out my address book other than the xml format
>>
>> 2.....If not can you recommend a program so that it will convert the xml
>

> 1) Use Dawn (the Address Book manager) version 5.4 to export Agent's
> address book to CSV format. Excel can read CSV format.
>
> <http://web.archive.org/web/20131030020722/http://mysite.verizon.net/zakharin/software/Dawn/>
>
> 2) The author's site (above) is archived, but plenty of download sites
> have Dawn. Just Google for, Dawn address book converter.
>
> Some results:
> <https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/E-mail/Mail-Utilities/Dawn.shtml>
> <https://dawn.software.informer.com/5.4/>
> <https://download.cnet.com/Dawn/3000-2367_4-13924.html>
> <https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dawn.html>
>

> 3) Dawn (the Address Book manager) needs a one-time configuration to
> work with Agent, so it can find Agent's address book.
> After installing Dawn, do this:
> 3.1 Run "Dawn Classic" from the start menu.
> 3.2 In Dawn, go to "Edit >> Preferences >> Program Preferences"
> 3.3 Select "Forte Agent" in the left box under "The following will not appear".
> 3.4 Click the button marked "->" to move Forte Agent to the right box
> 3.5 An "Open" window will appear
> 3.6 Navigate to your Agent database, select Agent's address book file "contact.xml"
> and click "Open"
> 3.7 Click "OK" on Dawn's "Preferences" window to save the configuration.
>
> 4) To export your Agent address book to CSV
> 4.1 In Dawn, go to "File >> Open >> Open Address Book"
> 4.2 Select "Forte Agent" from the list, and click 'Next'.
> (If you don't see "Forte Agent" listed, you need to do step 3.)
> 4.3 Go to "File >> Save >> Save as file..."
> 4.4 In 'Save as type', select "Comma Separated Values (*.csv)".

Hi Ralph

Thank you for a VERY detailed answer

Yes it does convert the xml file and I can see all my address

But when I go to convert to csv then import to excel I can only see the email and nothing more

So what have I done wrong?

Thank you

Fred

Re: print address book

<junt0i9f6dcq09r10mum631svata3t06hf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4893&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4893

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:44:15 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:44 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:10:22 +0100, lisa wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 06:49:52 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>

> > 1) Use Dawn (the Address Book manager) version 5.4 to export Agent's
> > address book to CSV format. Excel can read CSV format.
>
> Dawn has a big limitation.
> It only selects the type source="user" and source="addsender" .
> The type source="routing" is not present when you open an Agent .xml
> file with Dawn.

Not true here.
1) My Agent .xml file has entries with source="reply" and they
are selected.
2) As a test I edited my Agent .xml and changed all the source=
entries to source="routing". Dawn still selected the same
entries as before.

> The "routing" type is used for all your business mail
> and is present in your saved Agent .xml file.

Rest assured that source="routing" is not used for business email here.
And type="route" is only used here for filtering incoming email into
folders, not for sending email.

In Agent's address book, source and type are two distinct attributes.

> That makes Dawn useless as address book help tool.

Dawn will select all contacts and all outbound mailing lists.

Some other types of address book entries exist for filing inbound email.
They are, in effect, filters which live in the Address Book because
they work with RBI. Those are the types which Dawn may not select.

If the OP does not need to print those other types, then Dawn
will be useful for him. I would rather give the OP the information
and let him make the choice. Not make the choice for him.

BTW if you have entries in Agent's address book which Dawn does not
select, Agent's Address Book has a function "Convert Routing Address
to Contact" which will convert many of them to work with Dawn.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

𝘝𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘴 𝘬𝘢𝘢𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘦𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘤𝘩𝘵 𝘨𝘳𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘯 𝘴𝘯𝘪𝘫𝘥𝘦𝘯.

Re: print address book

<tvst0i56fucoavrcdbqo8oo4vfekb96c4p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4894&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4894

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 23:18:21 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:18 UTC

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:20:44 +0000, fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm wrote:

> Hi Ralph
>

> Thank you for a VERY detailed answer
>
> Yes it does convert the xml file and I can see all my address
>
> But when I go to convert to csv then import to excel I can only see the email and nothing more
>
> So what have I done wrong?
>

> Thank you
>
> Fred

I am not sure.

When I convert to CSV, I get a CSV file with 34 columns similar to
the sample below:

Full Name,E-Mail Address,Nickname,Home Phone,Business Phone,Organization,Home Street Address,Home City,Home Postal Code,Home State,Home Country,Home Fax,Cellular Phone,Home Web Page,Business Street Address,Business City,Business Postal Code,Business State,Business Country,Business Web Page,Business Fax,Pager,Job Title,Department,Notes,Profession,Manager,Assistant,First Name,Middle Name,Last Name,Title,Office,Spouse
"Ham Driver","hamish@greenfields.example","","555-9876","555-4321","","19 Thole Ave Bunkershott","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",

Dawn has a configuration for which columns to include in the CSV spreadsheet,
at: Edit >> Preferences >> select 'CSV Options' tab.

I believe I am using the default.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Δος μοι πα στω και ταν γαν κινάσω
-- Archimedes [in Syracusan Greek (Doric)]

Re: print address book

<5n2u0ipjrvrs6cckumd4i4lc32hh4achu4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4895&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4895

From: fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:41:01 +0000
 by: fred@ntlwoxxxrld.commmmm - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:41 UTC

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 23:18:21 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>I am not sure.
>
>When I convert to CSV, I get a CSV file with 34 columns similar to
>the sample below:
>
>Full Name,E-Mail Address,Nickname,Home Phone,Business Phone,Organization,Home Street Address,Home City,Home Postal Code,Home State,Home Country,Home Fax,Cellular Phone,Home Web Page,Business Street Address,Business City,Business Postal Code,Business State,Business Country,Business Web Page,Business Fax,Pager,Job Title,Department,Notes,Profession,Manager,Assistant,First Name,Middle Name,Last Name,Title,Office,Spouse
>"Ham Driver","hamish@greenfields.example","","555-9876","555-4321","","19 Thole Ave Bunkershott","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",
>

>Dawn has a configuration for which columns to include in the CSV spreadsheet,
>at: Edit >> Preferences >> select 'CSV Options' tab.
>
>I believe I am using the default.

Ralph

That was it as you said

I looked at the configuration and for some reason it had only got emails selected

Brill and all printed out

Thank you so much for your help

Kind Regards

Fred

Re: print address book

<026u0ilkdkglosd2j9dm9d4d55n5l3fq3l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4896&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4896

From: not.in.use@invalid.xor (lisa)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:01:10 +0100
 by: lisa - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 13:01 UTC

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:44:15 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>> Dawn has a big limitation.
>> It only selects the type source="user" and source="addsender" .
>> The type source="routing" is not present when you open an Agent .xml
>> file with Dawn.
>
>Not true here.
> 1) My Agent .xml file has entries with source="reply" and they
> are selected.
> 2) As a test I edited my Agent .xml and changed all the source=
> entries to source="routing". Dawn still selected the same
> entries as before.

I changed "routing" in "user" and still not present in Dawn.

>Rest assured that source="routing" is not used for business email here.
>And type="route" is only used here for filtering incoming email into
>folders, not for sending email.

OK, but I use some of them for email replying. That's why I need them
in an address book backup.

>If the OP does not need to print those other types, then Dawn
>will be useful for him. I would rather give the OP the information
>and let him make the choice. Not make the choice for him.

yeah, but I prefer I could select in Dawn what to print and not Dawn's
selection of my address book.

>BTW if you have entries in Agent's address book which Dawn does not
>select, Agent's Address Book has a function "Convert Routing Address
>to Contact" which will convert many of them to work with Dawn.

I don't have problems with Agent; it's Dawn that doesn't do what I
hoped. That's for me the wrong way to fix problems. I take screen
captures from my address book as backup.

If the OP trust online tools the OP can use sites like
https://www.convertcsv.com/

(not tested by me)