From: Ma9a56@earthlink.net (Mic)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Does Thunderbird cause problems for Agent OR is it just agent
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:11:22 -0800
 by: Mic - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:11 UTC

Installed Thunderbird about two years ago and use it exclusively for
email. After a few months the duplicate email (mainly gmail.com) stopped
on Agent. No problem with usenet posts until lately.

1.
I keep getting "Username & password not accepted."

2.
Also "Get bodies for Marked Messages 33 Pending, 1 Active." (with nothing
happening)

3.
Selecting a few Messages + Enter gets most but not all messages that were
selected.

Any idea what is going on? Is it just old age for Agent. Should I use
the Tbird for usenet posts also. Have thought it would be a complicated
mess and therefore have avoided that this far.

Thanks in advance,
Mic

Re: Does Thunderbird cause problems for Agent OR is it just agent

<hmesvhpljc6kdjhip4r43pklsklnt3ci0s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4858&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4858

From: Ma9a56@earthlink.net (Mic)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 09:35:32 -0800
 by: Mic - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 17:35 UTC

Another bit of info:
Both my primary and backup have the identical installations and the exact
same symptoms described below.

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:11:22 -0800, Mic <Ma9a56@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Installed Thunderbird about two years ago and use it exclusively for
>email. After a few months the duplicate email (mainly gmail.com) stopped
>on Agent. No problem with usenet posts until lately.
>
>1.
>I keep getting "Username & password not accepted."
>
>2.
>Also "Get bodies for Marked Messages 33 Pending, 1 Active." (with nothing
>happening)
>
>3.
>Selecting a few Messages + Enter gets most but not all messages that were
>selected.
>
>Any idea what is going on? Is it just old age for Agent. Should I use
>the Tbird for usenet posts also. Have thought it would be a complicated
>mess and therefore have avoided that this far.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Mic

Re: Does Thunderbird cause problems for Agent OR is it just agent

<lebtvh5samu71di07ebqe39tjk0efimi0t@None>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4861&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4861

From: dont@bother.com (Arthur Conan Doyle)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 19:46:15 -0600
 by: Arthur Conan Doyle - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 01:46 UTC

Mic <Ma9a56@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>Installed Thunderbird about two years ago and use it exclusively for
>>email. After a few months the duplicate email (mainly gmail.com) stopped
>>on Agent. No problem with usenet posts until lately.
>>
>>1.
>>I keep getting "Username & password not accepted."

Google has been slowly phasing out the use of web credentials by third party
apps for mail and presumably Usenet (Google Groups). You'll need to set up app
specific passwords.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

--
Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.

Re: Re: Does Thunderbird cause problems for Agent OR is it just agent

<vb710ih5nvmmtogofkp9dod9d9vj0rstjc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4868&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4868

From: hsg@h-gee.co.uk
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 13:05:09 +0000
 by: hsg@h-gee.co.uk - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 13:05 UTC

Using the Google instructions with AGENT is useless - it just doesn't work.
I tried it when they changed tack and stopped "unsafe" email clients and
then after two months it stopped again.

Gave up and rejoined my Google-groups using another email that I access in
AGENT. However I have got T-Bird running on another computer and apart from
having the emails address for gmail and one of my other email addresses
showing as a header or desk as AGENT names it the inbox works OK. I am
reluctant to transfer all my email to T-Bird and I don't think the command
in AGENT actually works - leave on server until collected by my other site.

Hugh

On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 19:46:15 -0600, Arthur Conan Doyle <dont@bother.com>
wrote:

>Mic <Ma9a56@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>>Installed Thunderbird about two years ago and use it exclusively for
>>>email. After a few months the duplicate email (mainly gmail.com) stopped
>>>on Agent. No problem with usenet posts until lately.
>>>
>>>1.
>>>I keep getting "Username & password not accepted."
>
>Google has been slowly phasing out the use of web credentials by third party
>apps for mail and presumably Usenet (Google Groups). You'll need to set up app
>specific passwords.
>
>https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Hugh of Bognor

--
I used to be an Egotistical Megalomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Hugh Gundersen
hsg@h-gee.co.uk

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

Re: Does Thunderbird cause problems for Agent OR is it just agent

<dkn10ihb2ffb4abfqqvktojuvv1c78a6f9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4869&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4869

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 06:49:17 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 17:49 UTC

On Thu, 02 Mar 2023 13:05:09 +0000, hsg@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

> Using the Google instructions with AGENT is useless - it just doesn't work.
> I tried it when they changed tack and stopped "unsafe" email clients and
> then after two months it stopped again.

Agent is working with Gmail here, using an app password. Long after
"unsafe" email clients were stopped.

Two tips:

1) You need to have Google's 2-step verification turned on.
If you turn off 2-step verification, Google may disable
your app password.

2) Very very occasionally, if it stops working I go to
<https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha>
and follow the instructions which gets it working again.
This advice comes from Google's help page
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6009563>
under the sub-heading "Still having trouble signing in".

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Köp inte grisen i säcken.