From: lucretia@florence.it
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: No response from server
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 17:36:59 -0400
 by: lucretia@florence.it - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 21:36 UTC

I use Agent and apn and things are working fine on this computer but
when I try the laptop (even though I have double checked tools/options
etc are the same) it waits what seems like forever and then comes up
with No response from server.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: No response from server

<5i0jvhl20u18g5jortiqaevug7ose77ucj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4830&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4830

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: No response from server
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:39:08 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 04:39 UTC

On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 17:36:59 -0400, lucretia@florence.it wrote:

> I use Agent and apn and things are working fine on this computer but
> when I try the laptop (even though I have double checked tools/options
> etc are the same) it waits what seems like forever and then comes up
> with No response from server.
>
> Any suggestions?

Some suggestions...

 1.  I trust you have also checked that Tools >> Account Settings
     are the same.

 2.  Check that you can ping APN from the laptop, as well as from
     this computer.

     In a Command Prompt window. type the command:
         ping news.forteinc.com

 3.  Check that the firewall on the laptop is configured to trust/allow
     Agent to access the Internet. Actual instructions will depend on
     the firewall.

 4.  Is the laptop using the same ISP, router, and physical internet
     connection as this computer?
     Some possible gotchas...
      *  If the laptop is using a free WiFi hotspot at (say) a café.
         Many free WiFi hotspots block everything apart from http/https
         web access. You *might* be able to get through using SSL and
         port 443, but not with the default NNTP SSL port 563.
      *  If the laptop is using another router in your home and the
         other router is not allowing (a) NNTP, or (b) news.forteinc.com.
      *  If the laptop is using a different ISP to connect to the
         Internet, and the other ISP is throttling NNTP traffic.

--
Regards
Ralph

“𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘰𝘣𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘥 𝘤𝘺𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘴𝘮 𝘣𝘺
𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘪𝘵.” — 𝗚𝗲𝗼𝗿𝗴𝗲 𝗕𝗲𝗿𝗻𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗦𝗵𝗮𝘄

Re: No response from server

<007kvh10n193uce4c1m35t8681k658lrq4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4831&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4831

From: lucretia@florence.it
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 10:34:58 -0400
 by: lucretia@florence.it - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 14:34 UTC

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:39:08 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 17:36:59 -0400, lucretia@florence.it wrote:
>
>> I use Agent and apn and things are working fine on this computer but
>> when I try the laptop (even though I have double checked tools/options
>> etc are the same) it waits what seems like forever and then comes up
>> with No response from server.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>

>Some suggestions...
>
> 1.  I trust you have also checked that Tools >> Account Settings
>     are the same.
>
> 2.  Check that you can ping APN from the laptop, as well as from
>     this computer.
>
>     In a Command Prompt window. type the command:
>         ping news.forteinc.com
>
> 3.  Check that the firewall on the laptop is configured to trust/allow
>     Agent to access the Internet. Actual instructions will depend on
>     the firewall.
>
> 4.  Is the laptop using the same ISP, router, and physical internet
>     connection as this computer?
>     Some possible gotchas...
>      *  If the laptop is using a free WiFi hotspot at (say) a café.
>         Many free WiFi hotspots block everything apart from http/https
>         web access. You *might* be able to get through using SSL and
>         port 443, but not with the default NNTP SSL port 563.
>      *  If the laptop is using another router in your home and the
>         other router is not allowing (a) NNTP, or (b) news.forteinc.com.
>      *  If the laptop is using a different ISP to connect to the
>         Internet, and the other ISP is throttling NNTP traffic.

Thanks Ralph, I have copied that. Went to try it out and discovered
that (it's Win11) it has completely neutered firefox and is insisting
Edge is better and there are other little wobblies, so have asked a
techie friend to do a teamview next week.

Re: No response from server

<rf6lvhpjmhv7e24jd938adq45eklqoa6l9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4836&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4836

From: mory@yakityyak.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:32:52 -0600
 by: mory@yakityyak.com - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 23:32 UTC

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 10:34:58 -0400, lucretia@florence.it wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:39:08 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 17:36:59 -0400, lucretia@florence.it wrote:
>>
>>> I use Agent and apn and things are working fine on this computer but
>>> when I try the laptop (even though I have double checked tools/options
>>> etc are the same) it waits what seems like forever and then comes up
>>> with No response from server.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>

>>Some suggestions...
>>
>> 1.  I trust you have also checked that Tools >> Account Settings
>>     are the same.
>>
>> 2.  Check that you can ping APN from the laptop, as well as from
>>     this computer.
>>
>>     In a Command Prompt window. type the command:
>>         ping news.forteinc.com
>>
>> 3.  Check that the firewall on the laptop is configured to trust/allow
>>     Agent to access the Internet. Actual instructions will depend on
>>     the firewall.
>>
>> 4.  Is the laptop using the same ISP, router, and physical internet
>>     connection as this computer?
>>     Some possible gotchas...
>>      *  If the laptop is using a free WiFi hotspot at (say) a café.
>>         Many free WiFi hotspots block everything apart from http/https
>>         web access. You *might* be able to get through using SSL and
>>         port 443, but not with the default NNTP SSL port 563.
>>      *  If the laptop is using another router in your home and the
>>         other router is not allowing (a) NNTP, or (b) news.forteinc.com.
>>      *  If the laptop is using a different ISP to connect to the
>>         Internet, and the other ISP is throttling NNTP traffic.
>
>Thanks Ralph, I have copied that. Went to try it out and discovered
>that (it's Win11) it has completely neutered firefox and is insisting
>Edge is better and there are other little wobblies, so have asked a
>techie friend to do a teamview next week.

Gee, ain't progress wunnerful!

I'll stick with simple XP and Mozilla 52.9 (non esr) - the latter with
NO commercials showing on youtube.

(insults to follow) yawn...