Make it right before you make it faster.

computers / comp.editors / Re: Solved! (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)

SubjectAuthor
* (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?Kenny McCormack
+* Re: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?Andreas Kohlbach
|`* Meta discussion (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)Kenny McCormack
| +- Re: Meta discussion (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)haron
| +* Re: Meta discussionAndreas Kohlbach
| |`- Re: Meta discussionKenny McCormack
| `- Re: Meta discussion (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)Eric Pozharski
+- Re: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?Kenny McCormack
`* Solved! (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)Kenny McCormack
 `* Re: Solved! (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)Spiros Bousbouras
  `- Re: Solved! (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)Kenny McCormack

1
(In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?

<uboa3v$3nr62$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35&group=comp.editors#35

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Subject: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:34:55 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:34 UTC

Background note: I've complained about this in this newsgroup in the past,
but I didn't what the name of it was, so I couldn't really get people to
understand what it was that I was talking about. Now, I've figured out
that the thing is called "Syntastic". I need to obliterate it.

I hate this thing called "Syntastic"; it is an f'ing nightmare. I do not
have root on the machine in question (If I did have root, I'd just
uninstall it; in fact, I never would have installed it in the first
place...)

First, to test/demo that you have Syntastic running, write the following
one liner as "x.c":

int main(void) { puts("hello, world"); }

When you save it, Syntastic kicks in and makes your screen weird. It
doesn't tell you what the problem is - you have to figure that out
yourself. (The error is that you didn't include stdio.h).

Now, I did some googling, and, as expected, there's a lot about how great
Syntastic is and why you should love it, and some about how to very
temporarily disable it, but nothing on how to make it go away completely.
I did find this:

let g:syntastic_always_populate_loc_list = 0
let g:syntastic_check_on_open = 0
let g:syntastic_check_on_wq = 0

but even after I sourced this file, it still is there. So, I am at a loss.

Help!

Note: This *does* work:

:SyntasticToggleMode

This switches it to "passive mode" - which does accomplish the goal, but
doesn't really feel like a total solution. I don't want it just to be
passive; I want it gone completely! What I would really like is a command
to unload the plugin (or something to make it not load in the first place).

--
Alice was something of a handful to her father, Theodore Roosevelt. He was
once asked by a visiting dignitary about parenting his spitfire of a daughter

Re: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?

<87zg2ognpg.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36&group=comp.editors#36

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Subject: Re: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:22:35 -0400
sha1:8KBMYBpUFpBovzwSybyYU9hMHvo=
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:22 UTC

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:34:55 -0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:

> Background note: I've complained about this in this newsgroup in the past,

Ask the clerk at the desk there for a refund.

[...]

Sorry, no idea what Syntastic is.

But if nothing help you might try to remove the X from its
permissions. Although that might lead to nasty side effects if other apps
use it. But try it. You can allow eXecute later again if there are side
effects.
--
Andreas

Meta discussion (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)

<ubohl0$3nvnh$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37&group=comp.editors#37

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Subject: Meta discussion (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:43:28 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:43 UTC

In article <87zg2ognpg.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>,
Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:34:55 -0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:
>>
>> Background note: I've complained about this in this newsgroup in the past,
>
>Ask the clerk at the desk there for a refund.
>
>[...]
>
>Sorry, no idea what Syntastic is.

I assume you have access to the Google machine.
If you put "Syntastic" in there, and press "Enter", it will tell you all
about it.

>But if nothing help you might try to remove the X from its
>permissions. Although that might lead to nasty side effects if other apps
>use it. But try it. You can allow eXecute later again if there are side
>effects.

It is not an executable program. It is a VIM plugin.

I thought that was clear enough from my post.

--
If there is anything more pathetic than Dr. Donald Trump, MD, giving out medical
advice, it is the pathetic followers of Dr. Trump trying to implement said advice.

Re: Meta discussion (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)

<598ff15d-6332-4a88-b8c9-9f8ef4b71c1bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39&group=comp.editors#39

Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 14:18:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: anton.sharonov@gmail.com (haron)
 by: haron - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 21:18 UTC

On Friday, August 18, 2023 at 9:43:30 PM UTC+2, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <87zg2og...@usenet.ankman.de>,
> Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> wrote:
> >On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:34:55 -0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:
> >>
> >> Background note: I've complained about this in this newsgroup in the past,
> >
> >Ask the clerk at the desk there for a refund.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >Sorry, no idea what Syntastic is.
> I assume you have access to the Google machine.
> If you put "Syntastic" in there, and press "Enter", it will tell you all
> about it.
> >But if nothing help you might try to remove the X from its
> >permissions. Although that might lead to nasty side effects if other apps
> >use it. But try it. You can allow eXecute later again if there are side
> >effects.
> It is not an executable program. It is a VIM plugin.
>
> I thought that was clear enough from my post.
>
> --
> If there is anything more pathetic than Dr. Donald Trump, MD, giving out medical
> advice, it is the pathetic followers of Dr. Trump trying to implement said advice.

try to put

let g:loaded_syntastic_plugin = 1

in your .vimrc ?

Re: Meta discussion

<87msyoggno.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40&group=comp.editors#40

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Subject: Re: Meta discussion
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:54:51 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 21:54 UTC

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:43:28 -0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:

> In article <87zg2ognpg.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>,
> Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>>On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:34:55 -0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:
>>>
>>> Background note: I've complained about this in this newsgroup in the past,
>>
>>Ask the clerk at the desk there for a refund.

Okay, you wrote "about this". I didn't see that. ;-)

>>[...]
>>
>>Sorry, no idea what Syntastic is.
>
> I assume you have access to the Google machine.
> If you put "Syntastic" in there, and press "Enter", it will tell you all
> about it.

Seems to be a spell checker. Interesting, might want to use it myself.

I just found vimispell.vim here I once used ispell as spell
checker. Cannot figure out again how it works. IIRC you needed to press a
function key to run a spell check, but it often bailed out. The file shy
of 5 KB and has a date stamp here from 2011.

If interested I could probably upload it to Pastebin.
--
Andreas

Re: Meta discussion

<uboqs0$3o62b$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=41&group=comp.editors#41

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 22:20:48 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 22:20 UTC

In article <87msyoggno.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>,
Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> I assume you have access to the Google machine.
>> If you put "Syntastic" in there, and press "Enter", it will tell you all
>> about it.
>
>Seems to be a spell checker. Interesting, might want to use it myself.

No.

--
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."

- Greta Thunberg -

Re: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?

<ubqcuv$3ougu$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=42&group=comp.editors#42

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:35:43 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:35 UTC

In article <uboa3v$3nr62$1@news.xmission.com>,
Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>Background note: I've complained about this in this newsgroup in the past,
>but I didn't what the name of it was, so I couldn't really get people to
>understand what it was that I was talking about. Now, I've figured out
>that the thing is called "Syntastic". I need to obliterate it.
>
>I hate this thing called "Syntastic"; it is an f'ing nightmare. I do not
>have root on the machine in question (If I did have root, I'd just
>uninstall it; in fact, I never would have installed it in the first
>place...)

I found a solution. The solution sucks (in every way), but it works.

I added the following lines to my .vimrc:

From: whynot@pozharski.name (Eric Pozharski)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 14:50:26 +0000
 by: Eric Pozharski - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 14:50 UTC

with <ubohl0$3nvnh$1@news.xmission.com> Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <87zg2ognpg.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>, Andreas Kohlbach
> <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:34:55 -0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:

>>> Background note: I've complained about this in this newsgroup in the
>>> past,
[*SKIP*]
>> Sorry, no idea what Syntastic is.
> I assume you have access to the Google machine. If you put
> "Syntastic" in there, and press "Enter", it will tell you all about
> it.

Do you realize this sounds as product placement?

>> But if nothing help you might try to remove the X from its
>> permissions. Although that might lead to nasty side effects if other
>> apps use it. But try it. You can allow eXecute later again if there
>> are side effects.
> It is not an executable program. It is a VIM plugin.

You don't know much about vim, do you? Anyway, place this line anywhere
in yours very own .vimrc:

let g:loaded_syntastic_plugin = 1

Restart vim (it's would be simpler than unloading plugins manually).
Your beloved syntastic won't load now.

[*CUT*]

p.s. vim.org is ¹/₃ dead already, that was quick
<https://www.vim.org/scripts/download_script.php?src_id=22818>.

p.p.s. digraphs rule!

Solved! (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)

<ubsml6$3q3n8$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45&group=comp.editors#45

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Subject: Solved! (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:33:26 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:33 UTC

In article <uboa3v$3nr62$1@news.xmission.com>,
Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>Background note: I've complained about this in this newsgroup in the past,
>but I didn't what the name of it was, so I couldn't really get people to
>understand what it was that I was talking about. Now, I've figured out
>that the thing is called "Syntastic". I need to obliterate it.
>
>I hate this thing called "Syntastic"; it is an f'ing nightmare. I do not
>have root on the machine in question (If I did have root, I'd just
>uninstall it; in fact, I never would have installed it in the first
>place...)

This also works - and seems to be the best solution. Still awfully
backwards/roundabout:

" In .vimrc
let g:loaded_syntastic_plugin = 1

Basically, you are lying to the plugin manager, telling it that you've
already got Syntastic loaded.

I did learn something from this thread, though. That the plugins get
loaded *after* the .vimrc file has been sourced. Interesting.

--
The key difference between faith and science is that in science, evidence that
doesn't fit the theory tends to weaken the theory (that is, make it less likely to

Re: Solved! (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)

<WeQmtYJTsj+CS9DfO@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47&group=comp.editors#47

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Subject: Re: Solved! (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 07:13:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 07:13 UTC

On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:33:26 -0000 (UTC)
gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:
> I did learn something from this thread, though. That the plugins get
> loaded *after* the .vimrc file has been sourced. Interesting.

:help startup says so. It's also intuitive in that you would expect
that the various vimrc files will set more basic and global settings
than the plugins so it makes sense that the vimrc files would get
sourced first.

Re: Solved! (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)

<uc7it0$3vivn$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48&group=comp.editors#48

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 12:36:48 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 12:36 UTC

In article <WeQmtYJTsj+CS9DfO@bongo-ra.co>,
Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:33:26 -0000 (UTC)
>gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:
>> I did learn something from this thread, though. That the plugins get
>> loaded *after* the .vimrc file has been sourced. Interesting.
>
>:help startup says so. It's also intuitive in that you would expect
>that the various vimrc files will set more basic and global settings
>than the plugins so it makes sense that the vimrc files would get
>sourced first.

I don't deny the logic of what you say. Still, it came as a bit of a
surprise to me.

As I said, I learned something here.

--
Just like Donald Trump today, Jesus Christ had a Messiah complex.

And, in fact, the similarities between the two figures are quite striking.
For example, both have a ragtag band of followers, whose faith cannot be shaken.

computers / comp.editors / Re: Solved! (Was: (In VIM) How to obliterate "Syntastic" ?)