From: jerryab@juno.com (jerryab)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Notice: Agent and SSL
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:43:52 -0600
 by: jerryab - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:43 UTC

I can't get the agent.ini file to load as a text file. I tried to
open/load it as a text document, but that fails. I also tried Word. I
get various shapes and letters in the screen. I am using Win 11,
current version.

Regards, Jerry

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:22:04 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>If you use SSL in Agent 3.2 - 8.0, or if you want to use SSL, these days
>you may need to make the following configuration change in AGENT.INI.
>

> In the [Online] section of AGENT.INI,
> change the setting 'AllowedSSLProtocols' from this:
>
> AllowedSSLProtocols=0
>
> to one of these:
> * In Windows 11, and in Windows 10 version 1903 and later
>
> AllowedSSLProtocols=10880
>
> * In Windows before Windows 10 version 1903
>
> AllowedSSLProtocols=2688
>

>EXPLANATION
>
>When Agent's SSL was implemented, the highest version of SSL in
>use was TLS1.0. The AGENT.INI default setting AllowedSSLProtocols=0
>will support versions of SSL up to TLS1.0.
>
>Since then, TLS1.0 has been deprecated. Many mail servers and some news
>servers have stopped using TLS1.0. Many mail servers and some news servers
>now require a minimum SSL version of TLS1.2.
>
>The setting AllowedSSLProtocols=2688 will configure Agent to support
>SSL versions up to TLS1.2 (providing your Windows supports it; do not
>expect it to work on Windows 95).
>
>The setting AllowedSSLProtocols=10880 will configure Agent to support
>SSL versions up to TLS1.3 in Windows 10.1903 and later.

Re: Notice: Agent and SSL

<9nqsuhh9n338ghr4al07vtt008d9k4q0pt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4786&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4786

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 07:14:13 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 18:14 UTC

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:43:52 -0600, jerryab wrote:

> I can't get the agent.ini file to load as a text file. I tried to
> open/load it as a text document, but that fails. I also tried Word. I
> get various shapes and letters in the screen. I am using Win 11,
> current version.

1. Make sure you are opening agent.ini, not some other 'agent' file
with a different file extension.
To see file extensions, turn OFF the Windows File Explorer setting
'hide extensions for known file types'.
That Windows File Explorer setting is here:
Start >> Settings;
Type File Explorer Options;
Open File Explorer Options;
Select the "View" tab;
Scroll down to 'hide extensions for known file types'.

2. Make sure you are looking in the correct place for agent.ini.
The agent.ini file is NOT in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent\" where
you installed Agent.
The default location for agent.ini in Agent 7.2 is in
"C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent" (where %USERNAME%
is your Windows user login name). But in some cases agent.ini can be
in a different place.
One way to find where the agent.ini file is, is to do this:
2.1 In Agent 7.2, select any newsgroup or folder in the folders pane.
2.2 Go to (select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Name and Scheme
2.3 Look at the bottom of the panel for the two database files
for that newsgroup or folder.
2.4 The agent.ini file is in the same place as those two files.

3. The real agent.ini is a text file.
Best not to use Word to edit agent.ini.
You can use Notepad, but do turn OFF "Word wrap" in Notepad.
I prefer to use "Notepad++".

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🔐🔑🔒🤫

Re: Notice: Agent and SSL

<duqvuhtua0fgl1capa7pfhqccb5cpd2kii@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4793&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4793

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:05:20 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:05 UTC

jerryab <jerryab@juno.com> on Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:43:52 -0600 typed in
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:
>I can't get the agent.ini file to load as a text file. I tried to
>open/load it as a text document, but that fails. I also tried Word. I
>get various shapes and letters in the screen. I am using Win 11,
>current version.

You may need to set "properties" that *.ini files open with
Notepad.

>Regards, Jerry
>On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:22:04 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>>If you use SSL in Agent 3.2 - 8.0, or if you want to use SSL, these days
>>you may need to make the following configuration change in AGENT.INI.
>> In the [Online] section of AGENT.INI,
>> change the setting 'AllowedSSLProtocols' from this:
>>
>> AllowedSSLProtocols=0
>>
>> to one of these:
>> * In Windows 11, and in Windows 10 version 1903 and later
>>
>> AllowedSSLProtocols=10880
>>
>> * In Windows before Windows 10 version 1903
>>
>> AllowedSSLProtocols=2688
>>

>>EXPLANATION
>>
>>When Agent's SSL was implemented, the highest version of SSL in
>>use was TLS1.0. The AGENT.INI default setting AllowedSSLProtocols=0
>>will support versions of SSL up to TLS1.0.
>>
>>Since then, TLS1.0 has been deprecated. Many mail servers and some news
>>servers have stopped using TLS1.0. Many mail servers and some news servers
>>now require a minimum SSL version of TLS1.2.
>>
>>The setting AllowedSSLProtocols=2688 will configure Agent to support
>>SSL versions up to TLS1.2 (providing your Windows supports it; do not
>>expect it to work on Windows 95).
>>
>>The setting AllowedSSLProtocols=10880 will configure Agent to support
>>SSL versions up to TLS1.3 in Windows 10.1903 and later.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)

Re: Notice: Agent and SSL

<6lrvuh5r7c0coorqtgnu6svmnfhjnjnskq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4794&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4794

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 14:17:15 -0700
 by: KenW - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:17 UTC

On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:05:20 -0800, pyotr filipivich
<phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:

>jerryab <jerryab@juno.com> on Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:43:52 -0600 typed in
>alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:
>>I can't get the agent.ini file to load as a text file. I tried to
>>open/load it as a text document, but that fails. I also tried Word. I
>>get various shapes and letters in the screen. I am using Win 11,
>>current version.
>
> You may need to set "properties" that *.ini files open with
>Notepad.
>

>>Regards, Jerry
>>On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:22:04 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>>If you use SSL in Agent 3.2 - 8.0, or if you want to use SSL, these days
>>>you may need to make the following configuration change in AGENT.INI.
>>> In the [Online] section of AGENT.INI,
>>> change the setting 'AllowedSSLProtocols' from this:
>>>
>>> AllowedSSLProtocols=0
>>>
>>> to one of these:
>>> * In Windows 11, and in Windows 10 version 1903 and later
>>>
>>> AllowedSSLProtocols=10880
>>>
>>> * In Windows before Windows 10 version 1903
>>>
>>> AllowedSSLProtocols=2688
>>>

>>>EXPLANATION
>>>
>>>When Agent's SSL was implemented, the highest version of SSL in
>>>use was TLS1.0. The AGENT.INI default setting AllowedSSLProtocols=0
>>>will support versions of SSL up to TLS1.0.
>>>
>>>Since then, TLS1.0 has been deprecated. Many mail servers and some news
>>>servers have stopped using TLS1.0. Many mail servers and some news servers
>>>now require a minimum SSL version of TLS1.2.
>>>
>>>The setting AllowedSSLProtocols=2688 will configure Agent to support
>>>SSL versions up to TLS1.2 (providing your Windows supports it; do not
>>>expect it to work on Windows 95).
>>>
>>>The setting AllowedSSLProtocols=10880 will configure Agent to support
>>>SSL versions up to TLS1.3 in Windows 10.1903 and later.

Make sure Agent IS NOT RUNING when viewing the .ini file

KenW

Re: Notice: Agent and SSL

<77j0vhdolartnjurnld01rlq0q3256t6vf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4795&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4795

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:59:29 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 03:59 UTC

KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> on
Fri, 17 Feb 2023 14:17:15 -0700 typed in
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:
>On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:05:20 -0800, pyotr filipivich
><phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>jerryab <jerryab@juno.com> on Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:43:52 -0600 typed in
>>alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:
>>>I can't get the agent.ini file to load as a text file. I tried to
>>>open/load it as a text document, but that fails. I also tried Word. I
>>>get various shapes and letters in the screen. I am using Win 11,
>>>current version.
>>
>> You may need to set "properties" that *.ini files open with
>>Notepad.
>>

>Make sure Agent IS NOT RUNING when viewing the .ini file

This should go without say.

Which is why it needs to be said anyway.