From: noemail@spam.fmctc.com (ga)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Connection closed to server
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 10:47:55 -0600
 by: ga - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 16:47 UTC

Connection closed to server unexpectedly - receiving message
frequently and also sometimes it closes and no message. What have I
got misconfigured?
ga
nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

Re: Connection closed to server

<im7iuh5h39u8945s3ebootqmrnmavuj2cn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4776&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4776

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Connection closed to server
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 06:37:18 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:37 UTC

On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 10:47:55 -0600, ga wrote:

> Connection closed to server unexpectedly - receiving message
> frequently and also sometimes it closes and no message. What have I
> got misconfigured?

See this entry in Forté's Agent Newsreader FAQ:
<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#08A25DCD16965F0C88256C1E005A2611>

One more thing applicable to your version of Agent which the
FAQ does not tell you:

At "Options >> User and System Profile >> Online",
1) turn on "Go offline automatically after [_nn_] seconds of no activity"
2) and set the time to be LESS THAN your server's timeout for
disconnecting inactive connections.
Check your news server's FAQ for the timeout. 180 seconds is a
typical news server timeout. Your setting should be less than
the news server's timeout.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

⏱⏳⏹

Re: Connection closed to server

<hneiuh9r0hbfdinb1r4esulbmf59qot6rl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4777&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4777

From: noemail@spam.fmctc.com (ga)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 13:17:03 -0600
 by: ga - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:17 UTC

Ralph,

Everything was the way it was supposed to be, so that wasn't it, but I
defintely appreciate you pointing me in the right direction!!!

Thanks much,
george

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 10:47:55 -0600, ga wrote:
>
>> Connection closed to server unexpectedly - receiving message
>> frequently and also sometimes it closes and no message. What have I
>> got misconfigured?
>
>See this entry in Forté's Agent Newsreader FAQ:
><https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#08A25DCD16965F0C88256C1E005A2611>

>One more thing applicable to your version of Agent which the
>FAQ does not tell you:
>
>At "Options >> User and System Profile >> Online",
> 1) turn on "Go offline automatically after [_nn_] seconds of no activity"
> 2) and set the time to be LESS THAN your server's timeout for
> disconnecting inactive connections.
> Check your news server's FAQ for the timeout. 180 seconds is a
> typical news server timeout. Your setting should be less than
> the news server's timeout.

ga
nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

Re: Connection closed to server

<rfpiuh5drdd0016kqajocbgsl8umppsgc4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4778&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4778

From: rich.ulrich@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:32:40 -0500
 by: Rich Ulrich - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:32 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 06:37:18 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 10:47:55 -0600, ga wrote:
>
>> Connection closed to server unexpectedly - receiving message
>> frequently and also sometimes it closes and no message. What have I
>> got misconfigured?
>
>See this entry in Forté's Agent Newsreader FAQ:
><https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#08A25DCD16965F0C88256C1E005A2611>

>One more thing applicable to your version of Agent which the
>FAQ does not tell you:
>
>At "Options >> User and System Profile >> Online",
> 1) turn on "Go offline automatically after [_nn_] seconds of no activity"
> 2) and set the time to be LESS THAN your server's timeout for
> disconnecting inactive connections.
> Check your news server's FAQ for the timeout. 180 seconds is a
> typical news server timeout. Your setting should be less than
> the news server's timeout.

Is this a very recent problem, on Giganews?

Just in the last few days, I've seen a warning of Lost
connection several times, with the further message box with
"retrying in 10 (9, 8) ... seconds" . Also, the button for
"retry now" is grayed out, and everything DOES get
downloaded before the countdown has gone far.

I usually download just once per evocation of Agent (8.00).
I didn't see the message just now, but there were only a
couple of new messages.

I wasn't looking for a solution since all messages have been
quickly downloaded. But even before this thread, I had
the thought that, if the warning repeated, maybe I should
mention it, in case it pre-saged a problem.

--
Rich Ulrich