'Course, I haven't weighed in yet. :-) -- Larry Wall in <199710281816.KAA29614@wall.org>

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / New Installation

SubjectAuthor
* New InstallationKen Blake
+* Re: New InstallationTim Slattery
|`* Re: New InstallationKen Blake
| `* Re: New InstallationKen Blake
|  +- Re: New InstallationKenW
|  `* Re: New InstallationRalph Fox
|   `- Re: New InstallationKen Blake
`* Re: New Installations|b
 +- Re: New InstallationKen Blake
 `* Re: New Installationgeo
  `* Re: New Installations|b
   +- Re: New InstallationKenW
   `- Re: New Installationian

1
New Installation

<4vv9uhdj80c11331upln0uhvndavjvq0ih@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4763&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4763

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: New Installation
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 07:19:32 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 14:19 UTC

I'm about to do a clean reinstallation of Windows 11 Professional, so
I'll also have to reinstall all my programs, including Agent 6
(which I use only for newsgroups).

A couple of questions:

How do I have Agent remember where I am in each newsgroup, so it
doesn't have to redownload thousands of messages?

How do I save all the messages that I've already downloaded and not
deleted, and how do I restore them to the new installation? I
sometimes want to go back and reread an already read message.

Re: New Installation

<je6auh5kmmcele9gu9c2epfb15mhdmdk7e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4764&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4764

From: tim@risingdove.com (Tim Slattery)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: New Installation
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:06:56 -0500
 by: Tim Slattery - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 16:06 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>I'm about to do a clean reinstallation of Windows 11 Professional, so
>I'll also have to reinstall all my programs, including Agent 6
>(which I use only for newsgroups).
>
>A couple of questions:
>
>How do I have Agent remember where I am in each newsgroup, so it
>doesn't have to redownload thousands of messages?
>
>How do I save all the messages that I've already downloaded and not
>deleted, and how do I restore them to the new installation? I
>sometimes want to go back and reread an already read message.

Copy Agent's data directory. Copy that to your new installation, and
start Agent on you new setup with a shortcut that points to that
directory.

--
Tim Slattery
tim <at> risingdove <dot> com

Re: New Installation

<bc8auh59hlq0hq1qfnqdignadjh7bffhcv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4765&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4765

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 09:39:20 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 16:39 UTC

On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:06:56 -0500, Tim Slattery <tim@risingdove.com>
wrote:

>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm about to do a clean reinstallation of Windows 11 Professional, so
>>I'll also have to reinstall all my programs, including Agent 6
>>(which I use only for newsgroups).
>>
>>A couple of questions:
>>
>>How do I have Agent remember where I am in each newsgroup, so it
>>doesn't have to redownload thousands of messages?
>>
>>How do I save all the messages that I've already downloaded and not
>>deleted, and how do I restore them to the new installation? I
>>sometimes want to go back and reread an already read message.
>
>Copy Agent's data directory. Copy that to your new installation, and
>start Agent on you new setup with a shortcut that points to that
>directory.

Thanks very much. Where is the data directory and what is its name?

Re: New Installation

<s0dauhh8vajv8bfp3m4upntp44gqs5aq2d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4766&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4766

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:04:58 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 18:04 UTC

On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 09:39:20 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:06:56 -0500, Tim Slattery <tim@risingdove.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm about to do a clean reinstallation of Windows 11 Professional, so
>>>I'll also have to reinstall all my programs, including Agent 6
>>>(which I use only for newsgroups).
>>>
>>>A couple of questions:
>>>
>>>How do I have Agent remember where I am in each newsgroup, so it
>>>doesn't have to redownload thousands of messages?
>>>
>>>How do I save all the messages that I've already downloaded and not
>>>deleted, and how do I restore them to the new installation? I
>>>sometimes want to go back and reread an already read message.
>>
>>Copy Agent's data directory. Copy that to your new installation, and
>>start Agent on you new setup with a shortcut that points to that
>>directory.
>

>Thanks very much. Where is the data directory and what is its name?

Is this the folder you mean:

C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent ?

or

C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent

or something else?

Re: New Installation

<9rhauhpishkguvdpdd3vt7inc92j93350r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4767&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4767

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 12:25:33 -0700
 by: KenW - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 19:25 UTC

On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:04:58 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 09:39:20 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:06:56 -0500, Tim Slattery <tim@risingdove.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Copy Agent's data directory. Copy that to your new installation, and
>>>start Agent on you new setup with a shortcut that points to that
>>>directory.
>>

>>Thanks very much. Where is the data directory and what is its name?
>

>Is this the folder you mean:
>
>C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent ?
>
>or
>
>C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent
>
>or something else?
If you installed to a folder off the root, you would always know where
to put the data file.
Mine for many years and all versions
C:\online/Agent
Just have to change the shortcut to Start in C:\online\Agent

KenW

Re: New Installation

<c8ibuhlgrvusg65bhfjc30gl8tj3gig341@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4768&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4768

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 17:42:46 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 04:42 UTC

On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:04:58 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 09:39:20 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:06:56 -0500, Tim Slattery <tim@risingdove.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Copy Agent's data directory. Copy that to your new installation, and
>>> start Agent on you new setup with a shortcut that points to that
>>> directory.
>>

>> Thanks very much. Where is the data directory and what is its name?
>

> Is this the folder you mean:
>
> C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent ?
>
> or
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent
>
> or something else?

Agent's *Data* directory may be "C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent".

But to check...

1. Select any newsgroup folder in Agent's folders pane;
2. Go to (Select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Name and Scheme
3. At the bottom of the panel, look at "Folder Database Files".

Agent's *Data* directory is the folder which those two files are in.

Agent's *Program* directory may be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent".

--
Regards
Ralph

𝔗𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔰 𝔞𝔯𝔢 𝔠𝔢𝔯𝔱𝔞𝔦𝔫 𝔦𝔫 𝔩𝔦𝔣𝔢: 𝔇𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔥, 𝔱𝔞𝔵𝔢𝔰 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔩𝔬𝔰𝔱 𝔡𝔞𝔱𝔞.

Re: New Installation

<u5tcuhln7qufimrmd51qmfs0ktn3k76me3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4769&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4769

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 09:53:06 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 16:53 UTC

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 17:42:46 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:04:58 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 09:39:20 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks very much. Where is the data directory and what is its name?
>>

>> Is this the folder you mean:
>>
>> C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent ?
>>
>> or
>>
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent
>>
>> or something else?
>

>Agent's *Data* directory may be "C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent".

It is.

>But to check...
>
> 1. Select any newsgroup folder in Agent's folders pane;
> 2. Go to (Select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Name and Scheme
> 3. At the bottom of the panel, look at "Folder Database Files".
>
>Agent's *Data* directory is the folder which those two files are in.

Yes, thanks, I just checked.

>Agent's *Program* directory may be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent".

It is.

Re: New Installation

<k4ndhiFhktoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4770&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4770

From: me@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:34:42 +0100
 by: s|b - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 17:34 UTC

On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 07:19:32 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> How do I have Agent remember where I am in each newsgroup, so it
> doesn't have to redownload thousands of messages?

Doesn't anyone read the FAQ?

How do I move Agent to a new location - computer, hard drive, thumb
drive?
<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#15453168AAE83AE985256C21004DAABF>

--
s|b

Re: New Installation

<j87duhhdf228e8t0432d4s8mju1uv64oiu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4771&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4771

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 12:38:05 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 19:38 UTC

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:34:42 +0100, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 07:19:32 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> How do I have Agent remember where I am in each newsgroup, so it
>> doesn't have to redownload thousands of messages?
>
>Doesn't anyone read the FAQ?
>
>How do I move Agent to a new location - computer, hard drive, thumb
>drive?
><https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#15453168AAE83AE985256C21004DAABF>

Thanks.

Re: New Installation

<kncduhdipbths9ocl8ugmq85cpmcd4nkua@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4772&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4772

From: geo@wxyz.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 15:12:25 -0600
 by: geo@wxyz.com - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 21:12 UTC

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:34:42 +0100, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Feb 2023 07:19:32 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> How do I have Agent remember where I am in each newsgroup, so it
>> doesn't have to redownload thousands of messages?
>
>Doesn't anyone read the FAQ?
>
>How do I move Agent to a new location - computer, hard drive, thumb
>drive?
><https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#15453168AAE83AE985256C21004DAABF>

Simply put: I just move the whole Agent Directory to wherever I want,
being sure to change the Path if necessary.

Simple as heck.

Re: New Installation

<k4qbkeF1522U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4773&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4773

From: me@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:20:32 +0100
 by: s|b - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 20:20 UTC

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 15:12:25 -0600, geo@wxyz.com wrote:

> Simply put: I just move the whole Agent Directory to wherever I want,
> being sure to change the Path if necessary.
>
> Simple as heck.

It is. I have versions in separate folders going back to 1.93.

--
s|b

Re: New Installation

<dsvfuhhuhq5dci3qs963vn31111q5eclle@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4774&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4774

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:50:37 -0700
 by: KenW - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 20:50 UTC

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:20:32 +0100, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 15:12:25 -0600, geo@wxyz.com wrote:
>
>> Simply put: I just move the whole Agent Directory to wherever I want,
>> being sure to change the Path if necessary.
>>
>> Simple as heck.
>
>It is. I have versions in separate folders going back to 1.93.
+1

KenW

Re: New Installation

<2r1luhhio9go84f9u4al5bgvhl7dlb64co@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4780&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4780

From: ian@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 12:56:51 -0600
 by: ian@invalid.com - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 18:56 UTC

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:20:32 +0100, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 15:12:25 -0600, geo@wxyz.com wrote:
>
>> Simply put: I just move the whole Agent Directory to wherever I want,
>> being sure to change the Path if necessary.
>>
>> Simple as heck.
>
>It is. I have versions in separate folders going back to 1.93.

I never left 1.93. As far as my needs go, they went bat bleep crazy
with all their folder crap and other nonsense I found totally
unnecessary.