My apologies if I sound angry. I feel like I'm talking to a void. -- Avery Pennarun

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / how to filter messages from Google

SubjectAuthor
* how to filter messages from Googleflibbertigibbet
+* Re: how to filter messages from GoogleKenW
|`- Re: how to filter messages from Googleflibbertigibbet
+* Re: how to filter messages from GoogleRalph Fox
|`* Re: how to filter messages from Googleflibbertigibbet
| +* Re: how to filter messages from GoogleKenW
| |+- Re: how to filter messages from Googlesam
| |`- Re: how to filter messages from GoogleKen Blake
| +* Re: how to filter messages from Googlesam
| |`- Re: how to filter messages from Googlesam
| `* Re: how to filter messages from GoogleRalph Fox
|  +- Re: how to filter messages from Googleflibbertigibbet
|  +* Re: how to filter messages from GoogleOpinicus
|  |`* Re: how to filter messages from GoogleBarry Schwarz
|  | `- Re: how to filter messages from GoogleOpinicus
|  `- Querry about Re: how to filter messages from Googlepyotr filipivich
`* Re: how to filter messages from GoogleKen Blake
 +* Re: how to filter messages from Googleflibbertigibbet
 |+- Re: how to filter messages from GoogleKen Blake
 |`- Re: how to filter messages from Googlesam
 +* Re: how to filter messages from GoogleLane
 |`- Re: how to filter messages from GoogleKen Blake
 `- Re: how to filter messages from Googlesam

1
how to filter messages from Google

<kqiith185kapb5oaq99k8f96jeqo3983qi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4726&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4726

From: blah@blah.blah (flibbertigibbet)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: how to filter messages from Google
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13:53 +0000
 by: flibbertigibbet - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13 UTC

I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was
wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
favourite newsgroups.

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<b9kithhmgbofcsl8p7bonq3r84gthjbog7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4727&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4727

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: how to filter messages from Google
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 10:35:19 -0700
 by: KenW - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:35 UTC

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13:53 +0000, flibbertigibbet <blah@blah.blah>
wrote:

>I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was
>wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
>favourite newsgroups.
Kill Filter
@googlegroups.com

KenW

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<sgkith5ur4q7euj8jj6n2dgqqhb9ugjrug@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4728&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4728

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 06:41:46 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:41 UTC

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13:53 +0000, flibbertigibbet wrote:

> I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was
> wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
> favourite newsgroups.

For how to filter Google Groups in your version of Agent:
1. Go to the Usenet Improvement Project website at
<http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/>.
2. Click on "[Free]Agent" in the left column.
3. Scroll down to, "Agent Beginning With Release 5.00/32.1170".

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🚦: πŸ”₯ vs. πŸ—Ÿ

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<m5mithhl47vb54r7ltha4qnplqm1aade51@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4729&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4729

From: blah@blah.blah (flibbertigibbet)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:11:08 +0000
 by: flibbertigibbet - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:11 UTC

On Wed, 01 Feb 2023 06:41:46 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13:53 +0000, flibbertigibbet wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was
>> wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
>> favourite newsgroups.

>For how to filter Google Groups in your version of Agent:
> 1. Go to the Usenet Improvement Project website at
> <http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/>.
> 2. Click on "[Free]Agent" in the left column.
> 3. Scroll down to, "Agent Beginning With Release 5.00/32.1170".

Thank you. I set up the filter but it didn't get rid of the nonsense.
Another thing I've noticed about these nuisance posters is that they
cross post to 6 or more newsgroups to reach a bigger readership. Is
there a way that I can get Agent to filter messages that have been
cross posted to, say, 2 or more groups?

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<1gmithdra63370dfj07ndflugkshr7frbr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4730&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4730

From: blah@blah.blah (flibbertigibbet)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:13:41 +0000
 by: flibbertigibbet - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:13 UTC

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 10:35:19 -0700, KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:

>@googlegroups.com

Great. Thank you. I didn't realise it was that simple. I've made a filter
with that and another from the instruction Ralph pointed me towards.

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<6enith5iv1vbl4fhuaqie4031keonggech@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4731&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4731

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 11:30:47 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:30 UTC

wrote:

>I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was

Yes.

>wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
>favourite newsgroups.

Others have already told you how, but let me point out that doing that
is a bad mistake in almost every newsgroup. Yes, doing so will filter
out a lot of the nonsense posts, but it will also filter out a lot of
the useful, good posts. I strongly recommend against it.

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<0nnith9km2454in160gl489116m384h71e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4732&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4732

From: blah@blah.blah (flibbertigibbet)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:43:10 +0000
 by: flibbertigibbet - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:43 UTC

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 11:30:47 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13:53 +0000, flibbertigibbet <blah@blah.blah>
>wrote:
>
>>I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was
>

>Yes.
>

>>wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
>>favourite newsgroups.
>

>Others have already told you how, but let me point out that doing that
>is a bad mistake in almost every newsgroup. Yes, doing so will filter
>out a lot of the nonsense posts, but it will also filter out a lot of
>the useful, good posts. I strongly recommend against it.

Right. That's a good point you're making there. And because adding
those filter suggestions by Ralph and KenW (above) hasn't removed
the posters' I want I'm going to allow Google Groups back. Thanks.
Now, on to my next query, if you'll allow, I've noticed that the posters
I want to filter out cross post to a lot of groups to aggravate as many
Usenetters as they can. Is there a filter you know of that can filter out
posts that have been cross posted to more than 2 or more groups?
That would be another way of getting where I want.

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<tupith5hep601d7blp4bba6npkrg7g7n24@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4733&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4733

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:13:45 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 19:13 UTC

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:43:10 +0000, flibbertigibbet <blah@blah.blah>
wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 11:30:47 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13:53 +0000, flibbertigibbet <blah@blah.blah>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was
>>

>>Yes.
>>

>>>wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
>>>favourite newsgroups.
>>

>>Others have already told you how, but let me point out that doing that
>>is a bad mistake in almost every newsgroup. Yes, doing so will filter
>>out a lot of the nonsense posts, but it will also filter out a lot of
>>the useful, good posts. I strongly recommend against it.
>
>Right. That's a good point you're making there. And because adding
>those filter suggestions by Ralph and KenW (above) hasn't removed
>the posters' I want I'm going to allow Google Groups back. Thanks.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

>Now, on to my next query, if you'll allow, I've noticed that the posters
>I want to filter out cross post to a lot of groups to aggravate as many
>Usenetters as they can. Is there a filter you know of that can filter out
>posts that have been cross posted to more than 2 or more groups?

Unless I'm thinking of Thunderbird, which I used to use, I think so.
But I can't remember how to do it, and a quick search didn't find it.
Wait for someone else to tell you how.

>That would be another way of getting where I want.

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<1griththjldegb9b3mjlso6s8ps0eb032i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4734&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4734

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:40:07 -0700
 by: KenW - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 19:40 UTC

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:11:08 +0000, flibbertigibbet <blah@blah.blah>
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Feb 2023 06:41:46 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13:53 +0000, flibbertigibbet wrote:
>>
>>> I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was
>>> wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
>>> favourite newsgroups.

>>For how to filter Google Groups in your version of Agent:
>> 1. Go to the Usenet Improvement Project website at
>> <http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/>.
>> 2. Click on "[Free]Agent" in the left column.
>> 3. Scroll down to, "Agent Beginning With Release 5.00/32.1170".
>
>Thank you. I set up the filter but it didn't get rid of the nonsense.
>Another thing I've noticed about these nuisance posters is that they
>cross post to 6 or more newsgroups to reach a bigger readership. Is
>there a way that I can get Agent to filter messages that have been
>cross posted to, say, 2 or more groups?

In the kill filter there is a line >Scope Global or a group folder.

I filter Google because I have NEVER seen any good posts always S**T

KenW

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<19vithth2cn0n33h1f53aebj1sqesmghot@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4735&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4735

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Lane)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 15:49:33 -0500
 by: Lane - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 20:49 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

> Others have already told you how, but let me point out that doing that
> is a bad mistake in almost every newsgroup. Yes, doing so will filter
> out a lot of the nonsense posts, but it will also filter out a lot of
> the useful, good posts. I strongly recommend against it.

Just set up another filter with a higher priority to handle the
exceptions, i.e. the GG posters whose posts you want to see. A little
extra trouble, but well worth it, in my opinion.

I've used this approach for many years and would strongly recommend it
for lowering the signal-to-noise ratio.

Yes, it works in a.u.e. ;-)

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<gf9jthdrjc47e6gld6943pfsga1n4k2psh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4736&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4736

From: sam@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:39:57 -0600
 by: sam@invalid.com - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 23:39 UTC

wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Feb 2023 06:41:46 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13:53 +0000, flibbertigibbet wrote:
>>
>>> I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was
>>> wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
>>> favourite newsgroups.

>>For how to filter Google Groups in your version of Agent:
>> 1. Go to the Usenet Improvement Project website at
>> <http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/>.
>> 2. Click on "[Free]Agent" in the left column.
>> 3. Scroll down to, "Agent Beginning With Release 5.00/32.1170".
>
>Thank you. I set up the filter but it didn't get rid of the nonsense.
>Another thing I've noticed about these nuisance posters is that they
>cross post to 6 or more newsgroups to reach a bigger readership. Is
>there a way that I can get Agent to filter messages that have been
>cross posted to, say, 2 or more groups?

What am I not understanding? I'm using Agent 1.93 and have no problem
filtering Google authors with -
Author: Google

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<pm9jthd9brtics5b8d903f68ldscbp726j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4737&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4737

From: sam@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:41:51 -0600
 by: sam@invalid.com - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 23:41 UTC

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:39:57 -0600, sam@invalid.com wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:11:08 +0000, flibbertigibbet <blah@blah.blah>
>wrote:

>>>For how to filter Google Groups in your version of Agent:
>>> 1. Go to the Usenet Improvement Project website at
>>> <http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/>.
>>> 2. Click on "[Free]Agent" in the left column.
>>> 3. Scroll down to, "Agent Beginning With Release 5.00/32.1170".
>>
>>Thank you. I set up the filter but it didn't get rid of the nonsense.
>>Another thing I've noticed about these nuisance posters is that they
>>cross post to 6 or more newsgroups to reach a bigger readership. Is
>>there a way that I can get Agent to filter messages that have been
>>cross posted to, say, 2 or more groups?
>
>What am I not understanding? I'm using Agent 1.93 and have no problem
>filtering Google authors with -
>Author: Google

Forgot to mention to also click on the Lower Case menu choice. This
will filter on upper or lower case.

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<qr9jthdgujgnoudi2i499l08795a6hmrjp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4738&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4738

From: sam@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:43:38 -0600
 by: sam@invalid.com - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 23:43 UTC

wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13:53 +0000, flibbertigibbet <blah@blah.blah>
>wrote:
>
>>I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was
>

>Yes.
>

>>wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
>>favourite newsgroups.
>

>Others have already told you how, but let me point out that doing that
>is a bad mistake in almost every newsgroup. Yes, doing so will filter
>out a lot of the nonsense posts, but it will also filter out a lot of
>the useful, good posts. I strongly recommend against it.

"good posts" from ignorant google users? Really? NOT!

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<30ajthht3nh4gbi373q47k8irl2e738jl7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4739&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4739

From: sam@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:46:26 -0600
 by: sam@invalid.com - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 23:46 UTC

wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 11:30:47 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13:53 +0000, flibbertigibbet <blah@blah.blah>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was
>>

>>Yes.
>>

>>>wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
>>>favourite newsgroups.
>>

>>Others have already told you how, but let me point out that doing that
>>is a bad mistake in almost every newsgroup. Yes, doing so will filter
>>out a lot of the nonsense posts, but it will also filter out a lot of
>>the useful, good posts. I strongly recommend against it.
>
>Right. That's a good point you're making there. And because adding
>those filter suggestions by Ralph and KenW (above) hasn't removed
>the posters' I want I'm going to allow Google Groups back. Thanks.
>Now, on to my next query, if you'll allow, I've noticed that the posters
>I want to filter out cross post to a lot of groups to aggravate as many
>Usenetters as they can. Is there a filter you know of that can filter out
>posts that have been cross posted to more than 2 or more groups?
>That would be another way of getting where I want.

The Agent I have, 1.93 will only filter out a crossposted message if
you have already read the message in another group to which it was
crossposted.

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<f3ajthhjr0or4t9rsjar51h819q8tt0rqn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4740&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4740

From: sam@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:47:16 -0600
 by: sam@invalid.com - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 23:47 UTC

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:40:07 -0700, KenW
<ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:11:08 +0000, flibbertigibbet <blah@blah.blah>
>wrote:

>>>For how to filter Google Groups in your version of Agent:
>>> 1. Go to the Usenet Improvement Project website at
>>> <http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/>.
>>> 2. Click on "[Free]Agent" in the left column.
>>> 3. Scroll down to, "Agent Beginning With Release 5.00/32.1170".
>>
>>Thank you. I set up the filter but it didn't get rid of the nonsense.
>>Another thing I've noticed about these nuisance posters is that they
>>cross post to 6 or more newsgroups to reach a bigger readership. Is
>>there a way that I can get Agent to filter messages that have been
>>cross posted to, say, 2 or more groups?
>
>In the kill filter there is a line >Scope Global or a group folder.
>
>I filter Google because I have NEVER seen any good posts always S**T

+10

>KenW

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<tqsjthdhqv3k8u5gtdau9mc38r6guf9tiv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4754&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4754

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 18:16:59 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 05:16 UTC

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:11:08 +0000, flibbertigibbet wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Feb 2023 06:41:46 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:13:53 +0000, flibbertigibbet wrote:
>>
>>> I've noticed that a lot of the nonsense posts are from Google groups and was
>>> wondering how to go about making a filter to avoid them cluttering up my
>>> favourite newsgroups.

>> For how to filter Google Groups in your version of Agent:
>> 1. Go to the Usenet Improvement Project website at
>> <http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/>.
>> 2. Click on "[Free]Agent" in the left column.
>> 3. Scroll down to, "Agent Beginning With Release 5.00/32.1170".
>
> Thank you. I set up the filter but it didn't get rid of the nonsense.

It seems that Google Groups message-IDs have changed since the Usenet
Improvement Project website was last updated. Use this instead:

message-id: {@googlegroups\.com}

The Usenet Improvement Project used to be maintained by the late
Blinky the Shark. With his passing, the site is now an archive of
what used to be.

> Another thing I've noticed about these nuisance posters is that they
> cross post to 6 or more newsgroups to reach a bigger readership. Is
> there a way that I can get Agent to filter messages that have been
> cross posted to, say, 2 or more groups?

Yes, you can. Take a look at the Agent 7.2 options at
Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Crossposting

--
Regards
Ralph

π‹π¨π­π­πžπ«π² (𝘯) 𝖠 𝗍𝖺𝗑 π—ˆπ—‡ π—‰π–Ύπ—ˆπ—‰π—…π–Ύ π—π—π—ˆ 𝖺𝗋𝖾 𝖻𝖺𝖽 𝖺𝗍 π—†π–Ίπ—π—π—Œ.

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<07ckthtjst4bqe66dr6uv12ctp3pkn6ufp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4756&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4756

From: blah@blah.blah (flibbertigibbet)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 09:34:31 +0000
 by: flibbertigibbet - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 09:34 UTC

On Wed, 01 Feb 2023 18:16:59 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:11:08 +0000, flibbertigibbet wrote:

>>> For how to filter Google Groups in your version of Agent:
>>> 1. Go to the Usenet Improvement Project website at
>>> <http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/>.
>>> 2. Click on "[Free]Agent" in the left column.
>>> 3. Scroll down to, "Agent Beginning With Release 5.00/32.1170".
>>
>> Thank you. I set up the filter but it didn't get rid of the nonsense.
>

>It seems that Google Groups message-IDs have changed since the Usenet
>Improvement Project website was last updated. Use this instead:
>
> message-id: {@googlegroups\.com}

Thank you very much. Done.

>The Usenet Improvement Project used to be maintained by the late
>Blinky the Shark. With his passing, the site is now an archive of
>what used to be.

I didn't know the person. I'm glad his efforts are still being of good
use.

>> Another thing I've noticed about these nuisance posters is that they
>> cross post to 6 or more newsgroups to reach a bigger readership. Is
>> there a way that I can get Agent to filter messages that have been
>> cross posted to, say, 2 or more groups?
>

>Yes, you can. Take a look at the Agent 7.2 options at
>Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Crossposting

Excellent. Thanks for this. I've done both: created a filter and toggled
a few options there to hopefully get rid of some of the aggravating
posters messing up newsgroups.

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<6f1lthhs6and6vgilua46b7mhejcca7ilv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4757&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4757

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 08:33:42 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 15:33 UTC

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:40:07 -0700, KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:11:08 +0000, flibbertigibbet <blah@blah.blah>
>wrote:

>>>For how to filter Google Groups in your version of Agent:
>>> 1. Go to the Usenet Improvement Project website at
>>> <http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/>.
>>> 2. Click on "[Free]Agent" in the left column.
>>> 3. Scroll down to, "Agent Beginning With Release 5.00/32.1170".
>>
>>Thank you. I set up the filter but it didn't get rid of the nonsense.
>>Another thing I've noticed about these nuisance posters is that they
>>cross post to 6 or more newsgroups to reach a bigger readership. Is
>>there a way that I can get Agent to filter messages that have been
>>cross posted to, say, 2 or more groups?
>
>In the kill filter there is a line >Scope Global or a group folder.
>
>I filter Google because I have NEVER seen any good posts always S**T

I wish that I could agree with you and also filter GG, but I can't.
I've seen many good posters who inexplicably insist on using GG.

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<pk1lthto12s6o0tflf84gd3bdnn37kk1qn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4758&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4758

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 08:38:49 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 15:38 UTC

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 15:49:33 -0500, Lane <invalid@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> Others have already told you how, but let me point out that doing that
>> is a bad mistake in almost every newsgroup. Yes, doing so will filter
>> out a lot of the nonsense posts, but it will also filter out a lot of
>> the useful, good posts. I strongly recommend against it.
>
>Just set up another filter with a higher priority to handle the
>exceptions, i.e. the GG posters whose posts you want to see. A little
>extra trouble, but well worth it, in my opinion.

I started to do that a month or two ago. I gave up and decided against
it for three reasons:

1. I found a *lot* of GG posters whose posts I want to see.

2. Even though I found a lot, I probably missed a few.

3.The most important reason: I would miss valuable post from new GG
posters.

>I've used this approach for many years and would strongly recommend it
>for lowering the signal-to-noise ratio.
>
>Yes, it works in a.u.e. ;-)

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<a4hmth1frl351khqgfh7be5l86mhp002dn@anodyne.nul.which.is.quite.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4759&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4759

From: gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 08:07:17 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 05:07 UTC

wrote:

> It seems that Google Groups message-IDs have changed since the Usenet
> Improvement Project website was last updated. Use this instead:
> message-id: {@googlegroups\.com}
Thanks for that heads-up and tip Ralph. Could you explain the syntax
of {@googlegroups\.com} please?

--
Bob
The people your parents warned you about

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<aeimth9dv32o4kp5dc44kb61begvl1p62c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4760&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4760

From: schwarzb@delq.com (Barry Schwarz)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 21:30:51 -0800
 by: Barry Schwarz - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 05:30 UTC

On Thu, 02 Feb 2023 08:07:17 +0300, Opinicus
<gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Feb 2023 18:16:59 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>> It seems that Google Groups message-IDs have changed since the Usenet
>> Improvement Project website was last updated. Use this instead:
>> message-id: {@googlegroups\.com}
>Thanks for that heads-up and tip Ralph. Could you explain the syntax
>of {@googlegroups\.com} please?

The { and } indicate that this is a regular expression.

The \ specifies that the following character is a literal and not one
the expression processor should evaluate. The period that follows the
\ will be treated as a period. Without the backslash, the period
would be treated as a wildcard which could be satisfied by any
character.

All the other characters are literals and represent themselves.

--
Remove del for email

Re: how to filter messages from Google

<0gomtht1o5p60hepjbf6qfp97muh6vkq74@anodyne.nul.which.is.quite.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4761&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4761

From: gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 10:14:24 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 07:14 UTC

On Wed, 01 Feb 2023 21:30:51 -0800, Barry Schwarz <schwarzb@delq.com>
wrote:

> >Thanks for that heads-up and tip Ralph. Could you explain the syntax
> >of {@googlegroups\.com} please?

> The { and } indicate that this is a regular expression.
> The \ specifies that the following character is a literal and not one
> the expression processor should evaluate. The period that follows the
> \ will be treated as a period. Without the backslash, the period
> would be treated as a wildcard which could be satisfied by any
> character.
> All the other characters are literals and represent themselves.

Thanks for that. I keep having to remind myself what "\" does.

--
Bob
The people your parents warned you about

Querry about Re: how to filter messages from Google

<mdeqjid7r497obkffv30r212pqobp8bmgr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5391&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5391

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Querry about Re: how to filter messages from Google
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 09:54:06 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 16:54 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> on Wed, 01 Feb 2023 18:16:59 +1300 typed
in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:

I'm using 3.3. I suspect that the following is not applicable.
If so, considering recent posts, how would I upgrade to a more
recent version?

--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.