Remember the good old days, when CPU was singular?

computers / alt.windows7.general / Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS battery

SubjectAuthor
* Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS batteryjaugustine
+* Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS batteryPaul
|`* Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS batteryjaugustine
| `* Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS batteryPaul
|  `* Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS batteryPaul
|   `* Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS batteryjaugustine
|    `* Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS batteryJava Jive
|     `- Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS batteryjaugustine
`- Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS batteryJava Jive

1
Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS battery

<fjk7ghl8odf9qtpqdh56cjqp005inbrc21@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4704&group=alt.windows7.general#4704

From: jaugustine@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS battery
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 15:13:32 -0400
 by: jaugustine@verizon.net - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 19:13 UTC

Hi,

Toshiba Satellite A85 laptop (now has Windows7)

A google search was NOT successful. I looked at YT
videos, but they were other Satellite versions. Other
places did NOT provide location for A85. I wasted
a lot of time searching.

I had downloaded a Maintenance manual for this
A85 model, but it did NOT have the location. However, I learned that this
battery is a rechargeable type.

Can anyone tell me where this RTC/CMOS battery is located?

Thank You Very Much in advance, John

Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS battery

<te0rm1$2opmk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4705&group=alt.windows7.general#4705

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 17:15:44 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 21:15 UTC

On 8/22/2022 3:13 PM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Toshiba Satellite A85 laptop (now has Windows7)
>
> A google search was NOT successful. I looked at YT
> videos, but they were other Satellite versions. Other
> places did NOT provide location for A85. I wasted
> a lot of time searching.
>
> I had downloaded a Maintenance manual for this
> A85 model, but it did NOT have the location. However, I learned that this
> battery is a rechargeable type.
>
> Can anyone tell me where this RTC/CMOS battery is located?
>
> Thank You Very Much in advance, John

I don't see it, in the Irisvista takeapart. There's a yellow thing
in Step 15 I don't recognize, and that's about it for candidates. It
must be hiding under the un-removed stuff.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A85/replace-laptop-memory-1.htm

The battery is (lithium???). 15mAh. Charge time 24 hours. Discharge time 30 days.
No part number quoted, nor location.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/798409/Toshiba-Satellite-A85.html?page=63#manual

The download link is the usual booby-trappings.

https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf4/80/7985/798409-toshiba/satellite_a85.pdf?64e5...

Name: satellite_a85.pdf
Size: 5,720,872 bytes (5586 KiB)
SHA256: 4E5B13CE6C15CABDAA88B22D5B8785E2E9A9DD90BCA5A92F72CB602F832758CD

Another angle I tried, was looking for the battery, and I tend
to find stuff like this. That's what the "15mAh" is getting me.

https://www.pchub.com/compaq-presario-b1015-battery-cmos-resume-rtc-p34335

I'm going to guess it's a floppsy thing, with polyolefin shrink wrap
cover and a black wire and a red wire on it. Depends on chemistry,
as to whether it's three little cells, or one LR2032. But since the
documentation refuses to name it, I can't be sure.

Paul

Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS battery

<qd2aghp6e6gol9l9i1tq81ctekeoh22vca@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4706&group=alt.windows7.general#4706

From: jaugustine@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 13:10:02 -0400
 by: jaugustine@verizon.net - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 17:10 UTC

<SNIP>
>I don't see it, in the Irisvista takeapart. There's a yellow thing
>in Step 15 I don't recognize, and that's about it for candidates. It
>must be hiding under the un-removed stuff.
>
>http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A85/replace-laptop-memory-1.htm
>
>The battery is (lithium???). 15mAh. Charge time 24 hours. Discharge time 30 days.
>No part number quoted, nor location.
>
>https://www.manualslib.com/manual/798409/Toshiba-Satellite-A85.html?page=63#manual
>
>The download link is the usual booby-trappings.
>
>https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf4/80/7985/798409-toshiba/satellite_a85.pdf?64e5...
>
>Name: satellite_a85.pdf
>Size: 5,720,872 bytes (5586 KiB)
>SHA256: 4E5B13CE6C15CABDAA88B22D5B8785E2E9A9DD90BCA5A92F72CB602F832758CD
>
>Another angle I tried, was looking for the battery, and I tend
>to find stuff like this. That's what the "15mAh" is getting me.
>
>https://www.pchub.com/compaq-presario-b1015-battery-cmos-resume-rtc-p34335
>
>I'm going to guess it's a floppsy thing, with polyolefin shrink wrap
>cover and a black wire and a red wire on it. Depends on chemistry,
>as to whether it's three little cells, or one LR2032. But since the
>documentation refuses to name it, I can't be sure.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your effort.

As an alternative, I searched for an image of the mother board, because
years ago, I found the location (via image) of RTC battery in an HP laptop.

I saw an image of the mother board for this model, but the resolution
was not very good, and it was a one side image.

John

Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS battery

<te33g4$31vor$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4707&group=alt.windows7.general#4707

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:41:13 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 17:41 UTC

On 22/08/2022 20:13, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:

> Toshiba Satellite A85 laptop (now has Windows7)
>
> A google search was NOT successful. I looked at YT
> videos, but they were other Satellite versions. Other
> places did NOT provide location for A85. I wasted
> a lot of time searching.
>
> I had downloaded a Maintenance manual for this
> A85 model, but it did NOT have the location. However, I learned that this
> battery is a rechargeable type.
>
> Can anyone tell me where this RTC/CMOS battery is located?

The CMOS battery is usually (nearly always? always?) a CR2032 coin
battery. Some laptops and most desktops have them in a plastic battery
holder, surface mounted on the motherboard, but some laptops have them
attached via cables and a 2-PIN SIP.

Have you tried the simple things, like turning it over and removing the
unscrewable covers? Some laptop models have it under one of those.
Alternatively, I have a Dell here where it's under the keyboard.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS battery

<te3ljd$1kku$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4712&group=alt.windows7.general#4712

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:50:21 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 22:50 UTC

On 8/23/2022 1:10 PM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> I don't see it, in the Irisvista takeapart. There's a yellow thing
>> in Step 15 I don't recognize, and that's about it for candidates. It
>> must be hiding under the un-removed stuff.
>>
>> http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A85/replace-laptop-memory-1.htm
>>
>> The battery is (lithium???). 15mAh. Charge time 24 hours. Discharge time 30 days.
>> No part number quoted, nor location.
>>
>> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/798409/Toshiba-Satellite-A85.html?page=63#manual
>>
>> The download link is the usual booby-trappings.
>>
>> https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf4/80/7985/798409-toshiba/satellite_a85.pdf?64e5...
>>
>> Name: satellite_a85.pdf
>> Size: 5,720,872 bytes (5586 KiB)
>> SHA256: 4E5B13CE6C15CABDAA88B22D5B8785E2E9A9DD90BCA5A92F72CB602F832758CD
>>
>> Another angle I tried, was looking for the battery, and I tend
>> to find stuff like this. That's what the "15mAh" is getting me.
>>
>> https://www.pchub.com/compaq-presario-b1015-battery-cmos-resume-rtc-p34335
>>
>> I'm going to guess it's a floppsy thing, with polyolefin shrink wrap
>> cover and a black wire and a red wire on it. Depends on chemistry,
>> as to whether it's three little cells, or one LR2032. But since the
>> documentation refuses to name it, I can't be sure.
>>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for your effort.
>
> As an alternative, I searched for an image of the mother board, because
> years ago, I found the location (via image) of RTC battery in an HP laptop.
>
> I saw an image of the mother board for this model, but the resolution
> was not very good, and it was a one side image.
>
> John

They claim it's an ML1220 with welded tabs and solder tails.

https://www.desertcart.co.il/products/32153858-ml1220-li-ion-cmos-battery-for-use-on-motherboard-toshiba-satellite-a80-a85-a100-a100-011-a100-214-a100-216-a100-233-a100-234-a100-250-a100-906-a100-va3

It's a 12.5 mm diameter coin cell, 2mm thick.

https://www.maxell.com.tw/images/uploads/2015/05/ML1220_DataSheet_table.pdf

The desertcart image would mean it would be standing on edge,
rather than in a socket. But at least that helps explain the
difficulty in spotting it.

Most of the pictures are as fuzzy as hell, so it's not
exactly easy to see details. Even on "mobo for sale" pictures.

Paul

Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS battery

<te3o4f$3401o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4713&group=alt.windows7.general#4713

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 19:33:34 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 23:33 UTC

On 8/23/2022 6:50 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 8/23/2022 1:10 PM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>> I don't see it, in the Irisvista takeapart. There's a yellow thing
>>> in Step 15 I don't recognize, and that's about it for candidates. It
>>> must be hiding under the un-removed stuff.
>>>
>>> http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A85/replace-laptop-memory-1.htm
>>>
>>> The battery is (lithium???). 15mAh. Charge time 24 hours. Discharge time 30 days.
>>> No part number quoted, nor location.
>>>
>>> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/798409/Toshiba-Satellite-A85.html?page=63#manual
>>>
>>> The download link is the usual booby-trappings.
>>>
>>> https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf4/80/7985/798409-toshiba/satellite_a85.pdf?64e5...
>>>
>>> Name: satellite_a85.pdf
>>> Size: 5,720,872 bytes (5586 KiB)
>>> SHA256: 4E5B13CE6C15CABDAA88B22D5B8785E2E9A9DD90BCA5A92F72CB602F832758CD
>>>
>>> Another angle I tried, was looking for the battery, and I tend
>>> to find stuff like this. That's what the "15mAh" is getting me.
>>>
>>> https://www.pchub.com/compaq-presario-b1015-battery-cmos-resume-rtc-p34335
>>>
>>> I'm going to guess it's a floppsy thing, with polyolefin shrink wrap
>>> cover and a black wire and a red wire on it. Depends on chemistry,
>>> as to whether it's three little cells, or one LR2032. But since the
>>> documentation refuses to name it, I can't be sure.
>>>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>>      Thanks for your effort.
>>
>>       As an alternative,  I searched for an image of the mother board,  because
>> years ago,  I found the location (via image) of RTC battery in an HP laptop.
>>
>>       I saw an image of the mother board for this model, but the resolution
>> was not very good, and it was a one side image.
>>
>>                  John
>
> They claim it's an ML1220 with welded tabs and solder tails.
>
> https://www.desertcart.co.il/products/32153858-ml1220-li-ion-cmos-battery-for-use-on-motherboard-toshiba-satellite-a80-a85-a100-a100-011-a100-214-a100-216-a100-233-a100-234-a100-250-a100-906-a100-va3
>
> It's a 12.5 mm diameter coin cell, 2mm thick.
>
> https://www.maxell.com.tw/images/uploads/2015/05/ML1220_DataSheet_table.pdf
>
> The desertcart image would mean it would be standing on edge,
> rather than in a socket. But at least that helps explain the
> difficulty in spotting it.
>
> Most of the pictures are as fuzzy as hell, so it's not
> exactly easy to see details. Even on "mobo for sale" pictures.
>
>    Paul

And that would make it the half inch diameter yellow thing, near
the fan. That's an ML1220 with the weld tabs bent and solder tails
inserted into motherboard for soldering. Since the ML1220 was
installed on the secondary side of the motherboard, they needed to
reduce the height. And laying it flat does that for them.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A85/big/Toshiba-Satellite-A85-15.jpg

Just make sure you get the (+) and (-) right way round :-)

Paul

Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS battery

<61icghhv0ec7r84n53d3ov0pvl9t4mf3ld@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4723&group=alt.windows7.general#4723

From: jaugustine@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 12:33:17 -0400
 by: jaugustine@verizon.net - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 16:33 UTC

>>> <SNIP>

>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>>>      Thanks for your effort.
>>>
>>>       As an alternative,  I searched for an image of the mother board,  because
>>> years ago,  I found the location (via image) of RTC battery in an HP laptop.
>>>
>>>       I saw an image of the mother board for this model, but the resolution
>>> was not very good, and it was a one side image.
>>>
>>>                  John
>>
>> They claim it's an ML1220 with welded tabs and solder tails.
>>
>> https://www.desertcart.co.il/products/32153858-ml1220-li-ion-cmos-battery-for-use-on-motherboard-toshiba-satellite-a80-a85-a100-a100-011-a100-214-a100-216-a100-233-a100-234-a100-250-a100-906-a100-va3
>>
>> It's a 12.5 mm diameter coin cell, 2mm thick.
>>
>> https://www.maxell.com.tw/images/uploads/2015/05/ML1220_DataSheet_table.pdf
>>
>> The desertcart image would mean it would be standing on edge,
>> rather than in a socket. But at least that helps explain the
>> difficulty in spotting it.
>>
>> Most of the pictures are as fuzzy as hell, so it's not
>> exactly easy to see details. Even on "mobo for sale" pictures.
>>
>>    Paul
>
>And that would make it the half inch diameter yellow thing, near
>the fan. That's an ML1220 with the weld tabs bent and solder tails
>inserted into motherboard for soldering. Since the ML1220 was
>installed on the secondary side of the motherboard, they needed to
>reduce the height. And laying it flat does that for them.
>
>http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A85/big/Toshiba-Satellite-A85-15.jpg
>
>Just make sure you get the (+) and (-) right way round :-)

Hi Paul,

I used the above link for "...Satellite-A85-15.jpg" image. I removed the
bottom cover (access ram, and a couple modules) to compare to the image,
but it did NOT match. What looked like a RTC battery, but not sure, in the
image (near the fan) was NOT in this A85 version.

BTW, I am sorry I did not provide the full model number:

Toshiba Satellite A85-S1072

The other link to an image of the RTC battery was very close to what I
imagined.

I really do NOT want to take apart this laptop in order to find the
RTC battery.

The image of the motherboard for that HP laptop's RTC battery a few years
ago, was a BIG help. I used a dremel tool to cut a square opening
on bottom of laptop and was able to remove that battery.

Otherwise I would have had to disassemble that laptop and remove
the motherboard to replace the battery. What a PAIN that would have
been.

Regards, John

Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS battery

<te5ndt$3cgph$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4729&group=alt.windows7.general#4729

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 18:33:47 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 17:33 UTC

On 24/08/2022 17:33, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:

> I removed the
> bottom cover

And it wasn't there, well it might have been, so it was worth a try.

Similarly, removing the keyboard is usually fairly straightforward, and
worth a try. I don't have a service manual for any Toshibas, but
usually, certainly for all the old Dells I've seen, the procedure is
simple and goes something like this:

1 Open the screen as far as it will safely go, probably 180 degrees.

2 Using a flat blade, say a penknife blade, remove switch panel cover
above the keyboard, being careful not to damage any plastic catches
holding it in place. Dells usually have a little place on the RHS for
inserting the blade, and their switch covers also cover the screen
hinges, which is why it is necessary to push the screen so far back.

3 Remove 2 or 3 screws holding the keyboard.

4 Lift it up gently and peer underneath.

5 If the battery's there, see if it can be replaced safely without
disconnecting the keyboard ribbon cable.

6 If not note how the ribbon cable is connected, eg take a photo,
disconnect it, and lift away the keyboard.

7 Replace the battery.

8 If necessary, carefully reconnect the keyboard.

9 Replace the two or three screws.

10 Replace the click-in switch cover

11 Ensuring that the screen is not fouling the the switch cover, raise
it gently to its normal vertical use position.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Toshiba Satellite A85, Location of RTC/CMOS battery

<cjuegh9mindfovlbfqq1ht66clm1i4vlbr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4743&group=alt.windows7.general#4743

From: jaugustine@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 09:41:33 -0400
 by: jaugustine@verizon.net - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 13:41 UTC

>On 24/08/2022 17:33, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
>>
>> I removed the
>> bottom cover
>
>And it wasn't there, well it might have been, so it was worth a try.
>
>Similarly, removing the keyboard is usually fairly straightforward, and
>worth a try. I don't have a service manual for any Toshibas, but
>usually, certainly for all the old Dells I've seen, the procedure is
>simple and goes something like this:
>
>1 Open the screen as far as it will safely go, probably 180 degrees.
>
>2 Using a flat blade, say a penknife blade, remove switch panel cover
>above the keyboard, being careful not to damage any plastic catches
>holding it in place. Dells usually have a little place on the RHS for
>inserting the blade, and their switch covers also cover the screen
>hinges, which is why it is necessary to push the screen so far back.
>
>3 Remove 2 or 3 screws holding the keyboard.
>
>4 Lift it up gently and peer underneath.
>
>5 If the battery's there, see if it can be replaced safely without
>disconnecting the keyboard ribbon cable.
>
>6 If not note how the ribbon cable is connected, eg take a photo,
>disconnect it, and lift away the keyboard.
>
>7 Replace the battery.
>
>8 If necessary, carefully reconnect the keyboard.
>
>9 Replace the two or three screws.
>
>10 Replace the click-in switch cover
>
>11 Ensuring that the screen is not fouling the the switch cover, raise
>it gently to its normal vertical use position.

Hi Java Jive,

As a last resort, that is what I will do since I have done that with some
of my other old laptops for different reasons.

Recently, I did that with an old Dell laptop (simple to remove keyboard)
and used Detox on the "ribbon" contacts (from keyboard to motherboard) because
some keys did not"work". Now all keys "work".

Regards, John