"Engineering without management is art." -- Jeff Johnson

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean

SubjectAuthor
* How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to cleanBillyJ
+* Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to cleanR.Wieser
|+* Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to cleanPaul
||`- Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to cleanZaidy036
|`* Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to cleanBillyJ
| +- Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to cleanVanguardLH
| `- Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to cleanR.Wieser
+- Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to cleanDavid E. Ross
+- Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to cleanKen Blake
`- Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to cleanVanguardLH

1
How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean

<tdtsps$son$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4693&group=alt.windows7.general#4693

From: BillyJ@BillyJ.com (BillyJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 11:16:27 -0700
 by: BillyJ - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 18:16 UTC

How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean ?
I can't find where to safe them like my bank cookies etc.

I figured out how to do this in CCleaner as it was very obvious.

FYI it turns out that cleaning in CCleaner is a two step process.
1) use the autoclean the use then
2) manual clean to get more cleaning action. Keep running the manual
clean until it gets the 500M Windows cache. Doing this for years with
no detrimental side effects.

I simultaneously use Glary Utilities to clean again with no detrimental
side effects.
Glary Utilities and CCleaner find different things so I use both.

Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean

<tdtvkj$57f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4694&group=alt.windows7.general#4694

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 21:04:41 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 19:04 UTC

Billy,

> Glary Utilities and CCleaner find different things so I use both.

Than I think you are not using the right tool(s). Both of them seem to act
to smart for their own good, and leaves you with crap you don't want.

My suggestion would be to find yourself a simple(r) cookie-cleaner, but one
which allows you to "lock" certain cookies.

Or maybe one program which allows you to save/restore cookies, and another
which just "empties the waste basket". Save the wanted cookie before, empty,
restore saved cookies after.

One thing you forgot to mention though : which browser you're using. For
instance, My FF stores cookies into an sqlite database, and those databases
can be manipulated using standard sqlite tools. With those you could
possibly even script your own cleaner.

.... On the other hand, I could have fully misunderstood the reason for your
post (there is no question in it) , and you just wanted to let us know what
your're using.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean

<tdu21l$16vo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4696&group=alt.windows7.general#4696

From: nobody@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 12:45:55 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 19:45 UTC

On 8/21/2022 11:16 AM, BillyJ wrote:
> How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean ?
> I can't find where to safe them like my bank cookies etc.
>
> I figured out how to do this in CCleaner as it was very obvious.
>
> FYI it turns out that cleaning in CCleaner is a two step process.
> 1) use the autoclean the use then
> 2) manual clean to get more cleaning action. Keep running the manual
> clean until it gets the 500M Windows cache. Doing this for years with
> no detrimental side effects.
>
> I simultaneously use Glary Utilities to clean again with no detrimental
> side effects.
> Glary Utilities and CCleaner find different things so I use both.

I keep my cookies file (cookies.sqlite) locked by marking its properties
as read-only. I also have a calendar item that I set to notify me when
cookies that I am keeping expire.

When my calendar alerts me, I terminate SeaMonkey, temporarily mark the
file read-write, relaunch SeaMonkey, and revisit ONLY the Web sites that
set the expired cookies. I then check the cookies file to see if any
expired cookies have been updated. I delete those that are still
expired. After again terminating SeaMonkey, I mark the cookies file as
read-only.

The terminating and launching of SeaMonkey is necessary because that
browser holds changes in cookies in memory until it is terminated. Only
on termination does SeaMonkey write to cookies.sqlite.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean

<tdub6j$2epnb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4697&group=alt.windows7.general#4697

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 18:22:11 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 22:22 UTC

On 8/21/2022 3:04 PM, R.Wieser wrote:
> Billy,
>
>> Glary Utilities and CCleaner find different things so I use both.
>
> Than I think you are not using the right tool(s). Both of them seem to act
> to smart for their own good, and leaves you with crap you don't want.
>
> My suggestion would be to find yourself a simple(r) cookie-cleaner, but one
> which allows you to "lock" certain cookies.
>
> Or maybe one program which allows you to save/restore cookies, and another
> which just "empties the waste basket". Save the wanted cookie before, empty,
> restore saved cookies after.
>
> One thing you forgot to mention though : which browser you're using. For
> instance, My FF stores cookies into an sqlite database, and those databases
> can be manipulated using standard sqlite tools. With those you could
> possibly even script your own cleaner.
>
> ... On the other hand, I could have fully misunderstood the reason for your
> post (there is no question in it) , and you just wanted to let us know what
> your're using.
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

I just delete the cookies.sqlite file on one of my browsers,
and just like that, all the cookies are gone. It does not
take database deletes, to get rid of all of them. Tossing the
entire file fixes it.

The trick with sqlite files, is not deleting the wrong one.
The places.sqlite has the domain to number translation table
in it, which would trash a good deal of stuff if deleted.
Whereas cookies.sqlite is a subtending db and deletes without
damage.

I think that browser offers an actual cookies editor, but
doing them one at a time, with all the clicks per, is a
non-starter. The people who designed these half-hearted
GUIs, knew exactly what they were doing. They did not
want to support "wipe and blast", and force the user
to do them one at a time, for maximum annoyance.

You can always tell what side all the players are on,
in this game...

Paul

Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean

<1tb5ghdnuu5opesie1qcpjbh6d38vtf7f3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4698&group=alt.windows7.general#4698

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 15:24:14 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 22:24 UTC

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 11:16:27 -0700, BillyJ <BillyJ@BillyJ.com> wrote:

>How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean ?
>I can't find where to safe them like my bank cookies etc.
>
>I figured out how to do this in CCleaner as it was very obvious.
>
>FYI it turns out that cleaning in CCleaner is a two step process.
>1) use the autoclean the use then
>2) manual clean to get more cleaning action. Keep running the manual
>clean until it gets the 500M Windows cache. Doing this for years with
>no detrimental side effects.
>
>I simultaneously use Glary Utilities to clean again with no detrimental
>side effects.
>Glary Utilities and CCleaner find different things so I use both.

If you are using both of them to clean your registry, I urge you to
stop immediately. If you have had no detrimental side effects,
consider yourself lucky.

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Read
http://www.howtogeek.com/171633/why-using-a-registry-cleaner-wont-speed-up-your-pc-or-fix-crashes/
https://blog.malwarebytes.org/social-engineering/2015/06/digital-snake-oil/
and also
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx

You also might want to read the section on the CCleaner Registry
Cleaner here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/113382/how-to-use-ccleaner-like-a-pro-9-tips-tricks/

Let me point out that neither I nor anyone else who warns against the
use of registry cleaners has ever said that they always cause
problems. If they always caused problems, they would disappear from
the market almost immediately. Many people have used a registry
cleaner and never had a problem with it, and that's why you see
recommendations for them.

Rather, the problem with a registry cleaner is that it carries with it
the substantial *risk* of having a problem. And since there is no
benefit to using a registry cleaner, running that risk is a very bad
bargain.

Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean

<tdui5e$2fa59$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4699&group=alt.windows7.general#4699

From: Eric@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 20:21:01 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 00:21 UTC

On 8/21/2022 6:22 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 8/21/2022 3:04 PM, R.Wieser wrote:
>> Billy,
>>
>>> Glary Utilities and CCleaner find different things so I use both.
>>
>> Than I think you are not using the right tool(s).  Both of them seem
>> to act
>> to smart for their own good, and leaves you with crap you don't want.
>>
>> My suggestion would be to find yourself a simple(r) cookie-cleaner,
>> but one
>> which allows you to "lock" certain cookies.
>>
>> Or maybe one program which allows you to save/restore cookies, and
>> another
>> which just "empties the waste basket". Save the wanted cookie before,
>> empty,
>> restore saved cookies after.
>>
>> One thing you forgot to mention though : which browser you're using.  For
>> instance, My FF stores cookies into an sqlite database, and those
>> databases
>> can be manipulated using standard sqlite tools.  With those you could
>> possibly even script your own cleaner.
>>
>> ...  On the other hand, I could have fully misunderstood the reason
>> for your
>> post (there is no question in it) , and you just wanted to let us know
>> what
>> your're using.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rudy Wieser
>
> I just delete the cookies.sqlite file on one of my browsers,
> and just like that, all the cookies are gone. It does not
> take database deletes, to get rid of all of them. Tossing the
> entire file fixes it.
>
> The trick with sqlite files, is not deleting the wrong one.
> The places.sqlite has the domain to number translation table
> in it, which would trash a good deal of stuff if deleted.
> Whereas cookies.sqlite is a subtending db and deletes without
> damage.
>
> I think that browser offers an actual cookies editor, but
> doing them one at a time, with all the clicks per, is a
> non-starter. The people who designed these half-hearted
> GUIs, knew exactly what they were doing. They did not
> want to support "wipe and blast", and force the user
> to do them one at a time, for maximum annoyance.
>
> You can always tell what side all the players are on,
> in this game...
>
>    Paul

I should think if you want to put in the effort then a batch could be
written to export all records from an sqlite db into a txt file and then
delete every record from the txt except the ones one wants to save and
then import the remaining txt file records back into the sqlite.

Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean

<tduiau$ite$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4700&group=alt.windows7.general#4700

From: BillyJ@BillyJ.com (BillyJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:23:57 -0700
 by: BillyJ - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 00:23 UTC

R.Wieser wrote:
> Billy,
>
>> Glary Utilities and CCleaner find different things so I use both.
>
> Than I think you are not using the right tool(s). Both of them seem to act
> to smart for their own good, and leaves you with crap you don't want.
>
> My suggestion would be to find yourself a simple(r) cookie-cleaner, but one
> which allows you to "lock" certain cookies.
>
> Or maybe one program which allows you to save/restore cookies, and another
> which just "empties the waste basket". Save the wanted cookie before, empty,
> restore saved cookies after.
>
> One thing you forgot to mention though : which browser you're using. For
> instance, My FF stores cookies into an sqlite database, and those databases
> can be manipulated using standard sqlite tools. With those you could
> possibly even script your own cleaner.
>
> .... On the other hand, I could have fully misunderstood the reason for your
> post (there is no question in it) , and you just wanted to let us know what
> your're using.
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean

<fh613u722exh$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4701&group=alt.windows7.general#4701

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 19:45:10 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 00:45 UTC

BillyJ <BillyJ@BillyJ.com> wrote:

> How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean ?
> I can't find where to safe them like my bank cookies etc.
>
> I figured out how to do this in CCleaner as it was very obvious.
>
> FYI it turns out that cleaning in CCleaner is a two step process.
> 1) use the autoclean the use then
> 2) manual clean to get more cleaning action. Keep running the manual
> clean until it gets the 500M Windows cache. Doing this for years with
> no detrimental side effects.
>
> I simultaneously use Glary Utilities to clean again with no detrimental
> side effects.
> Glary Utilities and CCleaner find different things so I use both.

Even easier with CCleaner under Options -> Cookies: configure which
cookies to keep. Others get deleted.

Never bothered to use Glary. Rather use best of breed instead of mashup
of lesser tools. The Support -> Online link points to
https://www.glarysoft.com/feedback/, but their cert is farked. Status =
"Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN". Their cert identifies
ssl1029324.cloudflaressl.com as the cert's domain instead of
glarysoft.com. If you ignore the error and try to connect anyway,
you'll get "403 Forbidden - Cloudflare".

They don't provide an online manual for non-users to review, like
discoverying just how Glary decides which cookies to delete, and if
there is a whitelist of those to keep.

Because Glary is a mashup of so-so tools, you have to specify which tool
is used by their frontend to do whatever action you requested. Looks
like the Tracks Eraser component does the cookie management.

https://www.glarysoft.com/tracks-eraser/download/

Of course, they don't provide any online info to document how to use the
component. I had to do a general online search to find info on how to
use their Tracks Eraser.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/glary-track-eraser-free-download

What does the "Ignore List Manager" button do?

Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean

<m163mwxdyyyw.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4702&group=alt.windows7.general#4702

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 21:08:43 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 02:08 UTC

BillyJ <BillyJ@BillyJ.com> wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^
You currently own the webhosted Billyj.com domain at Squarespace?
Squarespace reports the account has expired. If you don't own that
domain, or have permission by its owner for your use, don't use it.
Change .com to .invalid if you intend to specify a bogus address.

> How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean ?

Glary Utilities is a mashup of multiple not-best-of-breed tools. You
are using ONE of those tools to manage cookies. Which one? Perhaps the
Tracks Eraser tool? If so, what's the purpose of its Ignore option?

Re: How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean

<tdve83$slc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4703&group=alt.windows7.general#4703

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 10:19:59 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 08:19 UTC

Billy,

> How to keep cookies when using Glary Utilities to clean ?

I'm not the one to ask, as I've never used Glary Utilities (or any other
cookie-cleaner).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser