From: c_mulholland@nym.hush.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Need to reinstall Agent after installation of a new operating system
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 04:25:21 -0800
 by: c_mulholland@nym.hush.com - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 12:25 UTC

I've been fat, dumb and happy with Agent V7 for a long time on my OLD
computer running OS Windows 10 Professional. That is, until it crashed on
me after serving me for almost 12 years.

I'm in the process of reconfiguring my system and will need to reinstall my
operating system on my NEW drive 'C:\' which will nuke everything on that
drive. My current OS suffered a corruption when it was cloned to the new
'C:\' drive.

I've upgraded my entire system (at the cost of $2,500) and will need to
reinstall Agent V7 again. From what I gather I need to run the install
wizard and point Agent to the same directory on my 'D:\' drive and copy over
it. I understand I need to make sure to uncheck the options for creating
shortcuts so that the installer won't mess with my existing shortcuts.

I currently have Agent 7 installed on 'D:\Program Files\Forte Agent\

Did I do my homework correctly or did I miss something?

TIA

Re: Need to reinstall Agent after installation of a new operating system

<9i64th9gjepj42a6j9ol00rkn48n1jdav6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4718&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4718

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:59:45 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 06:59 UTC

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 04:25:21 -0800, c_mulholland@nym.hush.com wrote:

> I've been fat, dumb and happy with Agent V7 for a long time on my OLD
> computer running OS Windows 10 Professional. That is, until it crashed on
> me after serving me for almost 12 years.
>
> I'm in the process of reconfiguring my system and will need to reinstall my
> operating system on my NEW drive 'C:\' which will nuke everything on that
> drive. My current OS suffered a corruption when it was cloned to the new
> 'C:\' drive.
>
> I've upgraded my entire system (at the cost of $2,500) and will need to
> reinstall Agent V7 again. From what I gather I need to run the install
> wizard and point Agent to the same directory on my 'D:\' drive and copy over
> it. I understand I need to make sure to uncheck the options for creating
> shortcuts so that the installer won't mess with my existing shortcuts.
>
> I currently have Agent 7 installed on 'D:\Program Files\Forte Agent\
>
> Did I do my homework correctly or did I miss something?
>
> TIA

Without looking over your shoulder, a few possible things come to mind.

1. Those "existing shortcuts" which you don't want Agent to nuke.

Are those start menu shortcuts, inside
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" ?

And if that is the case, won't those shortcuts be nuked when
you re-install the OS on the C: drive?

If you have backup copies, you could simply use the backup
copies to replace the ones the Agent installer would create.

2. Location of Agent's data.

From Agent 4.2 onwards, the default location for Agent's data
is not where Agent is installed. The default location for Agent's
data is 'C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent\'

You wrote you currently have Agent installed on
'D:\Program Files\Forte Agent\'.
I cannot tell from your post whether you have Agent's data there
as well. Or is Agent's data in the default location on the C:
drive?

3. Unless you want Agent to be an option in default programs ***,
you might not need to run the installer to install Agent over
top of itself.

*** For example, an option for opening NZB files or an option
for launching mailto: URLs.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

𝘎𝘪𝘭𝘨𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴𝘩, 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰? 𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨. 𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘥𝘴 𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘩𝘪𝘮 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘩, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘬𝘦𝘦𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨.

Re: Need to reinstall Agent after installation of a new operating system

<3f54uht2al1k6sq98kuhfg8nva0q6ltp1q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4762&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4762

From: c_mulholland@nym.hush.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 01:17:52 -0800
 by: c_mulholland@nym.hush.com - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 09:17 UTC

On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:59:45 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 04:25:21 -0800, c_mulholland@nym.hush.com wrote:
>
>> I've been fat, dumb and happy with Agent V7 for a long time on my OLD
>> computer running OS Windows 10 Professional. That is, until it crashed on
>> me after serving me for almost 12 years.
>>
>> I'm in the process of reconfiguring my system and will need to reinstall my
>> operating system on my NEW drive 'C:\' which will nuke everything on that
>> drive. My current OS suffered a corruption when it was cloned to the new
>> 'C:\' drive.
>>
>> I've upgraded my entire system (at the cost of $2,500) and will need to
>> reinstall Agent V7 again. From what I gather I need to run the install
>> wizard and point Agent to the same directory on my 'D:\' drive and copy over
>> it. I understand I need to make sure to uncheck the options for creating
>> shortcuts so that the installer won't mess with my existing shortcuts.
>>
>> I currently have Agent 7 installed on 'D:\Program Files\Forte Agent\
>>
>> Did I do my homework correctly or did I miss something?
>>
>> TIA
>

>Without looking over your shoulder, a few possible things come to mind.
>
> 1. Those "existing shortcuts" which you don't want Agent to nuke.
>
> Are those start menu shortcuts, inside
> "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" ?
>
> And if that is the case, won't those shortcuts be nuked when
> you re-install the OS on the C: drive?
>
> If you have backup copies, you could simply use the backup
> copies to replace the ones the Agent installer would create.
>

> 2. Location of Agent's data.
>
> From Agent 4.2 onwards, the default location for Agent's data
> is not where Agent is installed. The default location for Agent's
> data is 'C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent\'
>
> You wrote you currently have Agent installed on
> 'D:\Program Files\Forte Agent\'.
> I cannot tell from your post whether you have Agent's data there
> as well. Or is Agent's data in the default location on the C:
> drive?
>

> 3. Unless you want Agent to be an option in default programs ***,
> you might not need to run the installer to install Agent over
> top of itself.
>
> *** For example, an option for opening NZB files or an option
> for launching mailto: URLs.

Thanks Ralph,

What I did was to make a backup copy of my Agent folder on another drive -
just in case. I kept my old copy of Agent on the D: drive in the Program
Files folder.

Then I ran the Agent installer telling Agent to install its files in the
D:\Program Files\ Forte Agent\ folder.

I didn't let the wizard start Agent after install. I quit the Agent wizard
installer.

I then clicked on the Agent icon on the desktop and Agent started up and
worked a treat.

Thanks for your advice.