I find you lack of faith in the forth dithturbing. -- Darse ("Darth") Vader

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Update check fails

SubjectAuthor
* Update check failsPeter45
`* Update check failsHank Rogers
 +* Update check failsAnt
 |`- Update check failsDaniel65
 `* Update check failsDon Spam's Reckless Son
  `* Update check failsHank Rogers
   `* Update check failsPeter45
    `* Update check failsAnt
     +- Update check failsPeter45
     +- Update check failsDon Spam's Reckless Son
     `* Update check failsRichmond
      `* Update check failsDon Spam's Reckless Son
       `- Update check failsAnt

1
Update check fails

<u3jacg$e9s9$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=466&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#466

From: pseudo.address@example.invalid (Peter45)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Update check fails
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 19:58:44 +0200
 by: Peter45 - Thu, 11 May 2023 17:58 UTC

Hello,

since a few days SeaMonkey 2.53.16 reports an error as soon as it tries
to check internally or mauell if updates are available. The error
message is "Connection denied". Are there problems with the update server?

Peter

Re: Update check fails

<x0e7M.2782615$iU59.746922@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=469&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#469

Subject: Re: Update check fails
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 17:30:46 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 11 May 2023 22:30 UTC

Peter45 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since a few days SeaMonkey 2.53.16 reports an error as soon as it tries
> to check internally or mauell if updates are available. The error
> message is "Connection denied". Are there problems with the update server?
>
> Peter

Peter, Seamonkey's Auto update has been broken for eons. If you
suspect there's a newer version, just go to
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Simply download the proper version and install it over your
existing seamonkey. I've done this for years. I doubt the auto
update will ever be fixed, because there are much more pressing
things, and there are very few people left working on it. They do a
damn fine job too.

You can always know when a new version is available, if you check
here. There is also a seamonkey.org rss feed. New releases are
announced there. You can even subscribe to the feed with your
smartphone. I do.

Re: Update check fails

<4wKdnSTxIqH0QMD5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=470&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#470

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 06:32:09 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 12 May 2023 06:32 UTC

Hank Rogers <hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Peter45 wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > since a few days SeaMonkey 2.53.16 reports an error as soon as it tries
> > to check internally or mauell if updates are available. The error
> > message is "Connection denied". Are there problems with the update server?

Mine says "Connection refused".

> Peter, Seamonkey's Auto update has been broken for eons. If you
> suspect there's a newer version, just go to
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

> Simply download the proper version and install it over your
> existing seamonkey. I've done this for years. I doubt the auto
> update will ever be fixed, because there are much more pressing
> things, and there are very few people left working on it. They do a
> damn fine job too.

> You can always know when a new version is available, if you check
> here. There is also a seamonkey.org rss feed. New releases are
> announced there. You can even subscribe to the feed with your
> smartphone. I do.

But it used to work like for v2.53.15 to get v2.53.16! :(
--
"Pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you." --2 Thessalonians 3:1. Damn 76ers & my tired body even after Zing ~8.5 hrs. overnite + <30 mins. nap 4 a slammy Th. :O
| |o o| |

Re: Update check fails

<u3l43p$1h5gb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=471&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#471

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 20:23:50 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 12 May 2023 10:23 UTC

Ant wrote on 12/5/23 4:32 pm:
> Hank Rogers <hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Peter45 wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> since a few days SeaMonkey 2.53.16 reports an error as soon as it
>>> tries to check internally or mauell if updates are available. The
>>> error message is "Connection denied". Are there problems with the
>>> update server?
>
> Mine says "Connection refused".
>

>> Peter, Seamonkey's Auto update has been broken for eons. If you
>> suspect there's a newer version, just go to
>> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
>
>> Simply download the proper version and install it over your
>> existing seamonkey. I've done this for years. I doubt the auto
>> update will ever be fixed, because there are much more pressing
>> things, and there are very few people left working on it. They do
>> a damn fine job too.
>
>> You can always know when a new version is available, if you check
>> here. There is also a seamonkey.org rss feed. New releases are
>> announced there. You can even subscribe to the feed with your
>> smartphone. I do.
>
> But it used to work like for v2.53.15 to get v2.53.16! :(

I'm sure I was auto-updated a day or two ago! Not sure if it was this
Linux install or my Win7 SeaMonkey install.
--
Daniel

Re: Update check fails

<u3lt2i$1p2j6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=472&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#472

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 19:29:53 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Fri, 12 May 2023 17:29 UTC

Hank Rogers wrote:
> Peter45 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> since a few days SeaMonkey 2.53.16 reports an error as soon as it tries
>> to check internally or mauell if updates are available. The error
>> message is "Connection denied". Are there problems with the update
>> server?
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Peter, Seamonkey's Auto update has been broken for eons. If you suspect
> there's a newer version, just go to http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
>
> Simply download the proper version and install it over your existing
> seamonkey.  I've done this for years. I doubt the auto update will ever
> be fixed, because there are much more pressing things, and there are
> very few people left working on it. They do a damn fine job too.
>
> You can always know when a new version is available, if you check here.
> There is also a seamonkey.org rss feed. New releases are announced
> there. You can even subscribe to the feed with your smartphone. I do.

What was once broken has been repaired, I can't remember when it was
repaired but it was a good while ago.
If I'm running under Windows (this is rare) that is how I have updated
my Seamonkey for some time now.

Re: Update check fails

<Jdv7M.426105$ZnFc.271598@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=473&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#473

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 13:05:24 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 12 May 2023 18:05 UTC

Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Peter45 wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> since a few days SeaMonkey 2.53.16 reports an error as soon as
>>> it tries
>>> to check internally or mauell if updates are available. The error
>>> message is "Connection denied". Are there problems with the
>>> update server?
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> Peter, Seamonkey's Auto update has been broken for eons. If you
>> suspect there's a newer version, just go to
>> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
>>
>> Simply download the proper version and install it over your
>> existing seamonkey.  I've done this for years. I doubt the auto
>> update will ever be fixed, because there are much more pressing
>> things, and there are very few people left working on it. They do
>> a damn fine job too.
>>
>> You can always know when a new version is available, if you check
>> here. There is also a seamonkey.org rss feed. New releases are
>> announced there. You can even subscribe to the feed with your
>> smartphone. I do.
>>

> What was once broken has been repaired, I can't remember when it
> was repaired but it was a good while ago.
> If I'm running under Windows (this is rare) that is how I have
> updated my Seamonkey for some time now.

I guess there is something weird about my particular installation.
I vaguely remember it working once or twice several years ago,
right after they fixed it. But usually it doesn't work. At most it
gives an error message.

About the only thing I think is different than a standard
installation is that it is not on the C: drive. Also, I use
noscript, maybe that was blocking something?

Re: Update check fails

<u3m4e6$fns7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=474&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#474

From: pseudo.address@example.invalid (Peter45)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 21:35:35 +0200
 by: Peter45 - Fri, 12 May 2023 19:35 UTC

Am 12.05.2023 um 20:05 schrieb Hank Rogers:
The internal update function of SeaMonkey was broken for a long time,
but has been working again for a while. The last versions I have all
updated via the internal update, even if the new version was usually
offered there only a day or two. There was no error message during the
check since the bug fix, otherwise it would have been displayed directly
when SeaMonkey internally checks whether an update is available, just
like now. I use SeaMonkey in a German version, so I translated the error
message. I didn't know the exact English language error message, so I
didn't know that it was "Connection refused" in English.
Now the question remains, why it does not work since a few days, or is
it just me?

Peter

Re: Update check fails

<uqadnRykC-PaecP5nZ2dnZfqnPhi4p2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=475&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#475

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 01:13:43 +0000
 by: Ant - Sat, 13 May 2023 01:13 UTC

Peter45 <pseudo.address@example.invalid> wrote:
> Am 12.05.2023 um 20:05 schrieb Hank Rogers:
> The internal update function of SeaMonkey was broken for a long time,
> but has been working again for a while. The last versions I have all
> updated via the internal update, even if the new version was usually
> offered there only a day or two. There was no error message during the
> check since the bug fix, otherwise it would have been displayed directly
> when SeaMonkey internally checks whether an update is available, just
> like now. I use SeaMonkey in a German version, so I translated the error
> message. I didn't know the exact English language error message, so I
> didn't know that it was "Connection refused" in English.
> Now the question remains, why it does not work since a few days, or is
> it just me?

Peter, it's not just you. It's still broken on my end in USA. The last
time it worked was when v2.53.16 was released.

--
"Pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you." --2 Thessalonians 3:1. Damn 76ers & my tirey achy body even after Zy so much da last 2 days. Go Lakers on a slammy Friday!
| |o o| |

Re: Update check fails

<u3n060$g4c0$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=476&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#476

From: pseudo.address@example.invalid (Peter45)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 05:29:06 +0200
 by: Peter45 - Sat, 13 May 2023 03:29 UTC

Am 13.05.2023 um 03:13 schrieb Ant:

> Peter, it's not just you. It's still broken on my end in USA. The last
> time it worked was when v2.53.16 was released.

All right, thanks Ant

Peter

Re: Update check fails

<u3nj2o$227dt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=477&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#477

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 10:51:35 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Sat, 13 May 2023 08:51 UTC

Ant wrote:
> Peter45 <pseudo.address@example.invalid> wrote:
>> Am 12.05.2023 um 20:05 schrieb Hank Rogers:
>> The internal update function of SeaMonkey was broken for a long time,
>> but has been working again for a while. The last versions I have all
>> updated via the internal update, even if the new version was usually
>> offered there only a day or two. There was no error message during the
>> check since the bug fix, otherwise it would have been displayed directly
>> when SeaMonkey internally checks whether an update is available, just
>> like now. I use SeaMonkey in a German version, so I translated the error
>> message. I didn't know the exact English language error message, so I
>> didn't know that it was "Connection refused" in English.
>> Now the question remains, why it does not work since a few days, or is
>> it just me?
>
> Peter, it's not just you. It's still broken on my end in USA. The last
> time it worked was when v2.53.16 was released.

Having fired my Windows 10 machine up for the first time in a while,
"Connection refused". It is currently updating all the other software
it considers out-of-date, starting with Firefox ESR and continuing with
all the Microsoft updates. This is liable to take a couple of hours and
is one reason I hardly ever run that machine under Windown.

Re: Update check fails

<u3obm6$i1v5$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=478&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#478

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 16:51:34 +0100
 by: Richmond - Sat, 13 May 2023 15:51 UTC

Ant wrote:
> Peter45 <pseudo.address@example.invalid> wrote:
>> Am 12.05.2023 um 20:05 schrieb Hank Rogers:
>> The internal update function of SeaMonkey was broken for a long time,
>> but has been working again for a while. The last versions I have all
>> updated via the internal update, even if the new version was usually
>> offered there only a day or two. There was no error message during the
>> check since the bug fix, otherwise it would have been displayed directly
>> when SeaMonkey internally checks whether an update is available, just
>> like now. I use SeaMonkey in a German version, so I translated the error
>> message. I didn't know the exact English language error message, so I
>> didn't know that it was "Connection refused" in English.
>> Now the question remains, why it does not work since a few days, or is
>> it just me?
>
> Peter, it's not just you. It's still broken on my end in USA. The last
> time it worked was when v2.53.16 was released.

There hasn't been a release since .16

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

So maybe it isn't broken. Maybe someone has just switched something off
temporarily.

Re: Update check fails

<u3odbn$25orl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=479&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#479

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 18:20:06 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Sat, 13 May 2023 16:20 UTC

Richmond wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> Peter45 <pseudo.address@example.invalid> wrote:
>>> Am 12.05.2023 um 20:05 schrieb Hank Rogers:
>>> The internal update function of SeaMonkey was broken for a long time,
>>> but has been working again for a while. The last versions I have all
>>> updated via the internal update, even if the new version was usually
>>> offered there only a day or two. There was no error message during the
>>> check since the bug fix, otherwise it would have been displayed directly
>>> when SeaMonkey internally checks whether an update is available, just
>>> like now. I use SeaMonkey in a German version, so I translated the error
>>> message. I didn't know the exact English language error message, so I
>>> didn't know that it was "Connection refused" in English.
>>> Now the question remains, why it does not work since a few days, or is
>>> it just me?
>>
>> Peter, it's not just you. It's still broken on my end in USA. The last
>> time it worked was when v2.53.16 was released.
>>

> There hasn't been a release since .16
>

> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
>
> So maybe it isn't broken. Maybe someone has just switched something off
> temporarily.

So if someone has not upgraded yet (maybe someone like me who hardly
ever uses a Windows machine) tries it, it would not work for them either?
"Connection refused" is not what should be happening, it looks as though
someone has misconfigured something.

Re: Update check fails

<JMScnXKp_4kgkf35nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=480&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#480

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 22:18:37 +0000
 by: Ant - Sat, 13 May 2023 22:18 UTC

Don Spam's Reckless Son <hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid> wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
> > Ant wrote:
> >>
> >> Peter, it's not just you. It's still broken on my end in USA. The last
> >> time it worked was when v2.53.16 was released.
> >>

> > There hasn't been a release since .16
> >

> > https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
> >
> > So maybe it isn't broken. Maybe someone has just switched something off
> > temporarily.
> >

> So if someone has not upgraded yet (maybe someone like me who hardly
> ever uses a Windows machine) tries it, it would not work for them either?
> "Connection refused" is not what should be happening, it looks as though
> someone has misconfigured something.

When I had the (lat/new)est versions installed, it would say there is no newer version or
something instead of "Connection refused".

--
"Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips." --Psalm 141:3. Lakers! Now, they need to eat up those chicken Nuggets NBA fever & aches continue. :) Ma's Day eve!
| |o o| |