Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Outbound Distribution List Thanks to al sorted now

SubjectAuthor
* Outbound Distribution Listhope
+* Re: Outbound Distribution ListDennis Lee Bieber
|+* Re: Outbound Distribution ListNobody
||`* Re: Outbound Distribution Listhope
|| `- Re: Outbound Distribution ListNobody
|`* Re: Outbound Distribution Listhope
| `* Re: Outbound Distribution ListDennis Lee Bieber
|  `* Re: Outbound Distribution ListNobody
|   `- Re: Outbound Distribution ListDennis Lee Bieber
`* Re: Outbound Distribution ListRalph Fox
 `* Re: Outbound Distribution Listhope
  `* Re: Outbound Distribution ListRalph Fox
   `* Re: Outbound Distribution Listhope
    +* Re: Outbound Distribution ListDennis Lee Bieber
    |`- Re: Outbound Distribution ListDennis Lee Bieber
    +* Re: Outbound Distribution ListNobody
    |`* Re: Outbound Distribution Listhope
    | `* Re: Outbound Distribution ListNobody
    |  `- Re: Outbound Distribution ListKen Blake
    `* Re: Outbound Distribution ListRalph Fox
     `* Re: Outbound Distribution List Thanks to al sorted nowhope
      `- Re: Outbound Distribution List Thanks to al sorted nowRalph Fox

1
Outbound Distribution List

<r1ptphtl06hlbt07s3104n5ec1k1khvqvp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4608&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4608

From: hope@hope.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Outbound Distribution List
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:00:21 +0000
 by: hope@hope.com - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:00 UTC

From the address book window, create a group of addresses using
Action >> New Outbound Distribution List name it testmails

Then click the "Pick" button and add people from my address
book to the New Outbound Distribution List.

When I want to email all of them in one go, just pick the
Outbound Distribution List folder "testmails" from the address book and add it
to the Bcc field.

1....put in the to box hope@hope.com
2....then put in the mouse in the bcc box select pick
3....then select the folder I made then select the bcc box.
4....that puts in the bcc box all the emails that have selected which are all my own test emails
5.....but when I look at the emails in the to box they are all my emails ie hope@hope.com and
not to the person I sent them to like this

To: hope@hope.com
Subject: testre
From: hope@hope.com

What have I got wrong?

Thank you

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<j6fuphde1loh03cogcut2da2l03sjocuk1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4609&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4609

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Outbound Distribution List
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 11:29:06 -0500
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 16:29 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:00:21 +0000, hope@hope.com declaimed the following:

>From the address book window, create a group of addresses using
> Action >> New Outbound Distribution List name it testmails
>
>Then click the "Pick" button and add people from my address
>book to the New Outbound Distribution List.
>
>When I want to email all of them in one go, just pick the
>Outbound Distribution List folder "testmails" from the address book and add it
>to the Bcc field.
>

>1....put in the to box hope@hope.com
>2....then put in the mouse in the bcc box select pick
>3....then select the folder I made then select the bcc box.
>4....that puts in the bcc box all the emails that have selected which are all my own test emails
>5.....but when I look at the emails in the to box they are all my emails ie hope@hope.com and
> not to the person I sent them to like this

Try using CC: not BCC:.

BCC: (blind carbon copy) means the recipient's name will NOT appear
anywhere in the headers -- the addresses are used to handshake with the
SMTP server. https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5321#page-76

Commonly, email clients will take the destination addresses from TO:,
CC:, and BCC: headers, and use them to connect to the SMTP server:

mail from: <taken from "From:" header>
rcpt to: <one of the addresses mentioned in the headers>
rcpt to: <another address>

Those SMTP commands are what determine where the mail goes. The To: header
line you see in the received email is exactly what the DATA portion of
protocol received -- so everyone receiving a copy sees the exact same text.
Headers do not get updated to reflect just the current recipient.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<dehuphl1oagm6ic1hqh3a6otjf0h47vhcn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4610&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4610

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:04:41 -0800
 by: Nobody - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 17:04 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 11:29:06 -0500, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:00:21 +0000, hope@hope.com declaimed the following:
>
>>From the address book window, create a group of addresses using
>> Action >> New Outbound Distribution List name it testmails
>>
>>Then click the "Pick" button and add people from my address
>>book to the New Outbound Distribution List.
>>
>>When I want to email all of them in one go, just pick the
>>Outbound Distribution List folder "testmails" from the address book and add it
>>to the Bcc field.
>>

>>1....put in the to box hope@hope.com
>>2....then put in the mouse in the bcc box select pick
>>3....then select the folder I made then select the bcc box.
>>4....that puts in the bcc box all the emails that have selected which are all my own test emails
>>5.....but when I look at the emails in the to box they are all my emails ie hope@hope.com and
>> not to the person I sent them to like this
>>

> Try using CC: not BCC:

That defeats the purpose of BCC, and would reveal all addresses to all
readers.

> BCC: (blind carbon copy) means the recipient's name will NOT appear
>anywhere in the headers

If the msg is successfully transmitted (the OP suggests that's
confirmed by it appearing back in the inbox), the copy filed in the
OP's *Sent* folder should carry headers showing all the BCC
recipients.

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<3qsuphlisdhh76uq7555rmguviq7e0rukc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4611&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4611

From: hope@hope.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:11:40 +0000
 by: hope@hope.com - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:11 UTC

>On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:00:21 +0000, hope@hope.com declaimed the following:
>
>>From the address book window, create a group of addresses using
>> Action >> New Outbound Distribution List name it testmails
>>
>>Then click the "Pick" button and add people from my address
>>book to the New Outbound Distribution List.
>>
>>When I want to email all of them in one go, just pick the
>>Outbound Distribution List folder "testmails" from the address book and add it
>>to the Bcc field.
>>

>>1....put in the to box hope@hope.com
>>2....then put in the mouse in the bcc box select pick
>>3....then select the folder I made then select the bcc box.
>>4....that puts in the bcc box all the emails that have selected which are all my own test emails
>>5.....but when I look at the emails in the to box they are all my emails ie hope@hope.com and
>> not to the person I sent them to like this

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 11:29:06 -0500, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Try using CC: not BCC:.
>
> BCC: (blind carbon copy) means the recipient's name will NOT appear
>anywhere in the headers -- the addresses are used to handshake with the
>SMTP server. https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5321#page-76
>
> Commonly, email clients will take the destination addresses from TO:,
>CC:, and BCC: headers, and use them to connect to the SMTP server:
>
>mail from: <taken from "From:" header>
>rcpt to: <one of the addresses mentioned in the headers>
>rcpt to: <another address>
>
>Those SMTP commands are what determine where the mail goes. The To: header
>line you see in the received email is exactly what the DATA portion of
>protocol received -- so everyone receiving a copy sees the exact same text.
>Headers do not get updated to reflect just the current recipient.

Sorry to say that is just NOT what I want, discloser of other peoples emails

Thank you any way

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<8uouphp11fp7mn485en4oajgpn3krnmbg2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4612&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4612

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 09:13:58 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:13 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:00:21 +0000, hope@hope.com wrote:

> From the address book window, create a group of addresses using
> Action >> New Outbound Distribution List name it testmails
>
> Then click the "Pick" button and add people from my address
> book to the New Outbound Distribution List.
>
> When I want to email all of them in one go, just pick the
> Outbound Distribution List folder "testmails" from the address book and add it
> to the Bcc field.
>

> 1....put in the to box hope@hope.com
> 2....then put in the mouse in the bcc box select pick
> 3....then select the folder I made then select the bcc box.
> 4....that puts in the bcc box all the emails that have selected which are all my own test emails
> 5.....but when I look at the emails in the to box they are all my emails ie hope@hope.com and
> not to the person I sent them to like this
>

> To: hope@hope.com
> Subject: testre
> From: hope@hope.com
>

> What have I got wrong?
>
> Thank you

Depending on exactly where you want to see this...

A. Email headers in the Sent folder's message body pane

That sent message will normally show all these _five_ headers at the top:

To: hope@hope.com
From: hope@hope.com
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:00:21 +0000
Bcc: testmails

If you do not see the Bcc header, then check the MailBaseFields
setting in AGENT.INI, in the [Article] section.

The default value for MailBaseFields is this:
MailBaseFields=!To,!Subject,!From,!Date,Cc,Bcc

The "Bcc" in the MailBaseFields setting is needed to show the Bcc
field at the top of the message list pane.

B. 'Author' column in the Sent folder's message list

The 'Author' column will show this
To: hope@hope.com
because that is what you put in the 'To' box in step 1.

If you wanted the 'Author' column to show the outbound distribution
list 'testmails', in step 3 you will need to put 'testmails' in the
'To' box instead of the 'Bcc' box.

If you also wanted to hide the distribution list addresses from
the recipients, you also need to do this:
i) In the outbound distribution list, use the field labelled
'Use this text to hide the addresses when you send an email'.
screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_r1ptphtl_1_use-this-text-to-hide-the-addresses.png>
ii) When you pick 'testmails' in step 3, make sure that 'Expand
addresses' is NOT checked.
screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_r1ptphtl_2_do-not-expand-addresses-when-picking.png>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

📧️📤️📮️🖅️👪️📥️📥️📥️📥️

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<v3tuph1c5j4ocq5flvqhl047ft2t8urqtf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4613&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4613

From: hope@hope.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:21:38 +0000
 by: hope@hope.com - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:21 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:04:41 -0800, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>That defeats the purpose of BCC, and would reveal all addresses to all
>readers.

Yes correct

>> BCC: (blind carbon copy) means the recipient's name will NOT appear
>>anywhere in the headers
>
>If the msg is successfully transmitted (the OP suggests that's
>confirmed by it appearing back in the inbox), the copy filed in the
>OP's *Sent* folder should carry headers showing all the BCC
>recipients.

Yes you are correct I can see all the emails that I put in the BCC box

BUT what I cannot understand is why when I look in my test emails It does not show the person who I
sent it to in the to box

IE

1...if in the BCC box I had one of my emails like test@test.com

2....I then log onto that email I see this

3.....To: hope@hope.com
From: hope@hope.com

4....I would have thought it should look like this

5.....To: test@test.com
From: hope@hope.com

Thank you

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<46cvphp8r55mnf7eabbbca0dt7rd1qnp2s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4614&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4614

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 19:56:31 -0500
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 00:56 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:11:40 +0000, hope@hope.com declaimed the following:

>Sorry to say that is just NOT what I want, discloser of other peoples emails

As stated -- the SMTP protocol technically doesn't care what the
message "headers" contain. It just wants a sequence of "rcpt to:" COMMANDS
specifying who the message is relayed to.

The DATA portion (which is what you see when you look at message with
all headers exposed) is NOT CHANGED -- other than inserting routing
information (and, regrettably, all that garbage about virus checking and
such) and removing the BCC: (removing the BCC: header is done by the client
sending the message to the server, not by the server).

Some mail clients have an option to /not expand/ a group list to
individual addresses. Not sure if Agent has that. Using that capability
would mean you could just put the group list name in the TO: field, and all
recipients would just see that list name, not individual names. Agent's
help shows:

"""
Expand Addresses Command (Address Book Action Menu)
This command applies to Usenet and email messages you are sending. When
checked, Agent automatically expands an address to its full address format,
when it is inserted into the Composition window via the Address Book or
Pick Addresses window. For example, if you select the name ginnyb from the
address book, it will be inserted into the Composition window in its
expanded format, ginnyb@forteinc.com.

The value you set here also sets the Expand Addresses value on the Pick
Address dialog.
"""

.... but with no indication if it applies to mailing list entries. There is
also:

"""
How to Create an Outbound Distribution List
Agent allows you to combine multiple addresses to create an outbound
distribution list, also called a group mailing list. These lists are
helpful when you regularly mail information to a group of people (e.g.,
newsletters, meeting information, etc.). This topic explains the basic
procedure for creating an outbound distribution list.

To create an outbound distribution list:

Select Address Book from the Tools menu to open the Address Book window.

In the Address Book, select New Outbound Distribution List... from the
Action menu to bring up the Outbound Distribution List dialog.

In the List Name field, enter the name of the mailing list (e.g., Surf Club
Members). Tip: If a contact has more than one email address defined in the
contact record, you can specify which address to use by adding a slash (/)
and then the context at the end of the contact name. For example, if you
have a contact named "Jim Powers" who has a work and a home email address,
and you want to use Jim's home address in the list, then enter this name:
Jim Powers/Home.

In the Folder(s) field, enter the folder in which you want to file messages
that you send to the list. If you're not sure what to enter, click the
Help button on the dialog to get more information.

In the Names and Addresses field, enter the addresses of the members of the
list, separated by commas (e.g., jdoe@hang10.com, freddy@wavecity.com,
msmith@surfsup.com), or putting each on a separate line.

Specify the address that the recipients will see in the To: field on the
message they receive. This value can be any text you like, although some
outbound email servers may require that it be in valid email address form.
You can also leave the text field blank, in which case the To: field will
be blank for each of your recipients.

TIP: You may want to use the address to which recipients of your list
should send replies. For example:

company or personal domain".

Select the persona that will be used when you send email to this list.

Press OK to close the Outbound Distribution List dialog. The new mailing
list is now part of your address book.
"""

Note the paragraph starting "Specify the address..."

The only way to get each recipient into the "TO:" header is... by
sending multiple copies of the message, with each edited for the specific
recipient. Specifying multiple addresses in any of the three fields only
results in ONE message being sent, and the server(s) route that copy to
each address provided in a RCPT TO command.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<7gfvph97qvu36l5kva5eraf7aag633h7id@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4615&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4615

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 17:33:34 -0800
 by: Nobody - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 01:33 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 19:56:31 -0500, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:11:40 +0000, hope@hope.com declaimed the following:
>

>>Sorry to say that is just NOT what I want, discloser of other peoples emails
>>

> As stated -- the SMTP protocol technically doesn't care what the
>message "headers" contain. It just wants a sequence of "rcpt to:" COMMANDS
>specifying who the message is relayed to.
>
> The DATA portion (which is what you see when you look at message with
>all headers exposed) is NOT CHANGED -- other than inserting routing
>information (and, regrettably, all that garbage about virus checking and
>such) and removing the BCC: (removing the BCC: header is done by the client
>sending the message to the server, not by the server).
>
> Some mail clients have an option to /not expand/ a group list to
>individual addresses. Not sure if Agent has that. Using that capability
>would mean you could just put the group list name in the TO: field...

What?

If the distribution list is created with totally BCC recipients, the
group name goes into the Bcc: field, surely?

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<oogvphdv1jonl7j5tr0rq36vlp9av6d8nu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4616&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4616

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 18:18:12 -0800
 by: Nobody - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 02:18 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:21:38 +0000, hope@hope.com wrote:

>>On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 11:29:06 -0500, Dennis Lee Bieber
>><wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:00:21 +0000, hope@hope.com declaimed the following:

>>> Try using CC: not BCC:
>

>On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:04:41 -0800, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
>>
>>That defeats the purpose of BCC, and would reveal all addresses to all
>>readers.
>
>Yes correct
>

>>> BCC: (blind carbon copy) means the recipient's name will NOT appear
>>>anywhere in the headers
>>
>>If the msg is successfully transmitted (the OP suggests that's
>>confirmed by it appearing back in the inbox), the copy filed in the
>>OP's *Sent* folder should carry headers showing all the BCC
>>recipients.
>

>Yes you are correct I can see all the emails that I put in the BCC box

So why a problem?

>BUT what I cannot understand is why when I look in my test emails It does not show the person who I
>sent it to in the to box

Scratching head...

In test emails where?

If they didn't transmit they'd be in Agent's All Folders/Outbox and
with the header/s, presuming you have a habit of sending to self,
showing TO: field to you... and Bcc: field to the list name.

If transmit succeeded, the msg with all BCC recipients listed will be
in your Sent folder.

While preparing a msg, all you'll see is the List Name in Bcc TO:
field.

>IE
>
>1...if in the BCC box I had one of my emails like test@test.com

>2....I then log onto that email I see this
>
>3.....To: hope@hope.com
>Subject: testre
>From: hope@hope.com

Correct.

As a BCC receiver from my own experimenting, the msg headers are
simply TO: and FROM: my sending address, as you show above.
.

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<6of1qhte8t8p6747vu3q0oc1bsn0lrt46n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4617&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4617

From: hope@hope.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 20:04:00 +0000
 by: hope@hope.com - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 20:04 UTC

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 09:13:58 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>Depending on exactly where you want to see this...
>

>A. Email headers in the Sent folder's message body pane
>
> That sent message will normally show all these _five_ headers at the top:
>
> To: hope@hope.com
> Subject: testre
> From: hope@hope.com
> Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:00:21 +0000
> Bcc: testmails
>
> If you do not see the Bcc header, then check the MailBaseFields
> setting in AGENT.INI, in the [Article] section.
>
> The default value for MailBaseFields is this:
> MailBaseFields=!To,!Subject,!From,!Date,Cc,Bcc
>
> The "Bcc" in the MailBaseFields setting is needed to show the Bcc
> field at the top of the message list pane.
>

>B. 'Author' column in the Sent folder's message list
>
> The 'Author' column will show this
> To: hope@hope.com
> because that is what you put in the 'To' box in step 1.
>
> If you wanted the 'Author' column to show the outbound distribution
> list 'testmails', in step 3 you will need to put 'testmails' in the
> 'To' box instead of the 'Bcc' box.
>
> If you also wanted to hide the distribution list addresses from
> the recipients, you also need to do this:
> i) In the outbound distribution list, use the field labelled
> 'Use this text to hide the addresses when you send an email'.
> screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_r1ptphtl_1_use-this-text-to-hide-the-addresses.png>
> ii) When you pick 'testmails' in step 3, make sure that 'Expand
> addresses' is NOT checked.
> screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_r1ptphtl_2_do-not-expand-addresses-when-picking.png>

Hi Ralph,

Sorry to be so thick on this but I think I'm not explaining this to well

For get the Outbound Distribution List for a moment

1......I want to send out two emails (to make things simple) from my email on agent the last one not
to be seen my test@test.com

2......These two emails are test@test.com and test1@test.com

3......Create new email to send

4......In the to field I put test@test.com

5......In the BCC field I put test1@test.com

6......Press send

7.....I then go and get the emails from test@test.com and test1@test.com

8.....I open test@test.com and look in the TO field and yes it is test@test.com all okay

9.....I open test1@test.com and look in the TO field and instead of seeing test1@test.com I see
test@test.com now if I was that person who owns that email I would be confused who it was for
because it should have said in the TO field test1@test.com

I hope I have explained to what I want

Kind Regards

Dumb Blond

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<vsh1qhl514kgc5c6m1kg3empid7i4figcb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4618&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4618

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:29:08 -0500
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 20:29 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 17:33:34 -0800, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> declaimed the
following:

>What?
>
>If the distribution list is created with totally BCC recipients, the
>group name goes into the Bcc: field, surely?

If the client doesn't expand addresses, you don't need to use the BCC
field -- since the only thing recipients will see in TO or CC fields will
be just the list name, not the addresses contained in the list. For
example:

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 12:28:21 -0700
From: "suppressed" <irrelevant>
Subject: Re: [TMG-L] List of Sources Report
To: main@TMG-L.groups.io, Dutch Colonies <TMG-L@groups.io>

My address doesn't show up anywhere in those headers -- it is subsumed
under the "main@TMG-L.groups.io" distribution list.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<0ik2qhdghp1quuouf1t00adebhpo8ubjqu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4619&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4619

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:15:58 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 07:15 UTC

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 20:04:00 +0000, hope@hope.com wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> Sorry to be so thick on this but I think I'm not explaining this to well
>
> For get the Outbound Distribution List for a moment
>
> 1......I want to send out two emails (to make things simple) from my email on agent the last one not
> to be seen my test@test.com

From your description below, you are sending out one email to two
recipients (one email with two recipient email addresses).

> 2......These two emails are test@test.com and test1@test.com

Those are two email addresses, not two emails.

> 3......Create new email to send

You are creating only one new email.

> 4......In the to field I put test@test.com

This means that everybody who receives this new email will see
test@test.com in the TO field.

> 5......In the BCC field I put test1@test.com

This means that nobody who receives this new email will see test1@test.com .
That is what the Bcc field is for - to hide this email address from the
recipients of this new email. The 'B' in 'Bcc' stands for 'Blind'.

> 6......Press send

You have just sent one email to two recipients.

> 7.....I then go and get the emails from test@test.com and test1@test.com
>
> 8.....I open test@test.com and look in the TO field and yes it is test@test.com all okay
>
> 9.....I open test1@test.com and look in the TO field and instead of seeing test1@test.com I see
> test@test.com now if I was that person who owns that email I would be confused who it was for
> because it should have said in the TO field test1@test.com

You see test@test.com in the TO field, because in step 4 you put
test@test.com in the TO field.

The email address test1@test.com will not move by itself from the BCC
field into the TO field.

> I hope I have explained to what I want

If you want each recipient to see their own email address in the
TO field of the email, you will need to send two separate copies
of the email, each with a different email address in the TO field.
You can do it like this:

1......You want to send out email to two different email addresses.

2......These two email addresses are test@test.com and test1@test.com

3......First create one new email to send.

4......In the TO field, put test@test.com

5......Do not put anything in the Bcc field.

6......Press send.

7......Go to your Sent folder and find the sent email you just sent.

8......Select the sent email and use the menu command
Action >> New Copy of Email Message.

9......Change the TO field from test@test.com to test1@test.com

10.....Press send, to sent this new copy.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

📧 ⏵ 𝑇𝑜:🚹 ⏵𝑆𝑒𝑛𝑑 🖅
𝐶𝑜𝑝𝑦: 📧 ⏵𝑇𝑜:🚺 ⏵𝑆𝑒𝑛𝑑 🖅

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<m2t2qh1nrsjm4fgm1re81o1nb1n4o4rob4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4620&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4620

From: hope@hope.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 08:45:29 +0000
 by: hope@hope.com - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 08:45 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:15:58 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>From your description below, you are sending out one email to two
>recipients (one email with two recipient email addresses).

Yes in this example, BUT the above was to keep it simple BUT I will have to send to 25 recipients ie
addresses

>> 2......These two emails are test@test.com and test1@test.com
>
>Those are two email addresses, not two emails.
>
>> 3......Create new email to send
>
>You are creating only one new email.
>
>> 4......In the to field I put test@test.com
>
>This means that everybody who receives this new email will see
>test@test.com in the TO field.
>
>> 5......In the BCC field I put test1@test.com
>
>This means that nobody who receives this new email will see test1@test.com .
>That is what the Bcc field is for - to hide this email address from the
>recipients of this new email. The 'B' in 'Bcc' stands for 'Blind'.
>
>> 6......Press send
>
>You have just sent one email to two recipients.
>
>> 7.....I then go and get the emails from test@test.com and test1@test.com
>>
>> 8.....I open test@test.com and look in the TO field and yes it is test@test.com all okay
>>
>> 9.....I open test1@test.com and look in the TO field and instead of seeing test1@test.com I see
>> test@test.com now if I was that person who owns that email I would be confused who it was for
>> because it should have said in the TO field test1@test.com
>
>You see test@test.com in the TO field, because in step 4 you put
>test@test.com in the TO field.
>
>The email address test1@test.com will not move by itself from the BCC
>field into the TO field.
>

>> I hope I have explained to what I want
>
>If you want each recipient to see their own email address in the
>TO field of the email, you will need to send two separate copies
>of the email, each with a different email address in the TO field.
>You can do it like this:
>
>1......You want to send out email to two different email addresses.
>
>2......These two email addresses are test@test.com and test1@test.com
>
>3......First create one new email to send.
>
>4......In the TO field, put test@test.com
>
>5......Do not put anything in the Bcc field.
>
>6......Press send.
>
>7......Go to your Sent folder and find the sent email you just sent.
>
>8......Select the sent email and use the menu command
> Action >> New Copy of Email Message.
>
>9......Change the TO field from test@test.com to test1@test.com
>
>10.....Press send, to sent this new copy.

Oh that is going to be a long job as I say above got 25 or more address to send

What if I put them in the cc box? the only problem with that is each one will see all the others

Looks like I have only the two ways

Kind regards

Dumb Blond
===========================

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<7tk3qhpadgi89pti9sigtcbuotn2oo657a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4621&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4621

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:30:39 -0500
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:30 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 08:45:29 +0000, hope@hope.com declaimed the following:

>What if I put them in the cc box? the only problem with that is each one will see all the others
>
>Looks like I have only the two ways

Or you create an actual distribution list in the address book, mark it
to NOT expand addresses, and give it a name. And use that distribution list
in the TO field

Then NO ONE sees any email address, only the name given to the
distribution list.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<jdl3qhp8ji90qne32cokphstmgjajo5e39@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4622&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4622

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:35:23 -0500
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:35 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:30:39 -0500, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> declaimed the following:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 08:45:29 +0000, hope@hope.com declaimed the following:
>
>>What if I put them in the cc box? the only problem with that is each one will see all the others
>>
>>Looks like I have only the two ways
>
> Or you create an actual distribution list in the address book, mark it
>to NOT expand addresses, and give it a name. And use that distribution list
>in the TO field
>
> Then NO ONE sees any email address, only the name given to the
>distribution list.

CAVEAT -- I've not tried this in Agent, and may be misunderstanding
exactly what the help system means for expanding addresses. To me, that
means replacing the list name with all the addresses in the list.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<ujn3qhpjioqil1o2loed89j3lfd2om5voa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4623&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4623

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 08:16:24 -0800
 by: Nobody - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:16 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 08:45:29 +0000, hope@hope.com wrote:

>>On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 20:04:00 +0000, hope@hope.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ralph,
>>>
>>> Sorry to be so thick on this but I think I'm not explaining this to well
>>>
>>> For get the Outbound Distribution List for a moment
>>>
>>> 1......I want to send out two emails (to make things simple) from my email on agent the last one not
>>> to be seen my test@test.com
>>
>On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:15:58 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>>From your description below, you are sending out one email to two
>>recipients (one email with two recipient email addresses).
>
>Yes in this example, BUT the above was to keep it simple BUT I will have to send to 25 recipients ie
>addresses

It doesn't matter *how many* recipient addresses are entered in BCC...
the appearance to/for each will still be as your simple experiment.

As you agreed with me back up the thread, you are able to confirm from
your *Sent* folder that the whole collection transmitted successfully.

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<klp3qhtnbb6aitf83gl9326et2626qm12u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4624&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4624

From: hope@hope.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:52:00 +0000
 by: hope@hope.com - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:52 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 08:16:24 -0800, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>>On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:15:58 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>>>From your description below, you are sending out one email to two
>>>recipients (one email with two recipient email addresses).
>>
>>Yes in this example, BUT the above was to keep it simple BUT I will have to send to 25 recipients ie
>>addresses

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 08:16:24 -0800, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
>It doesn't matter *how many* recipient addresses are entered in BCC...
>the appearance to/for each will still be as your simple experiment.
>
>As you agreed with me back up the thread, you are able to confirm from
>your *Sent* folder that the whole collection transmitted successfully.

Yes I can see them in the sent folder BUT that is not my problem, the problem was that in the to box
when each recipient gets there email every one will see the same name in the to box

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<nc34qhljoinf8fp59fjk64d1sh0emk5aau@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4625&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4625

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:35:22 -0800
 by: Nobody - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 19:35 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:52:00 +0000, hope@hope.com wrote:

>>>Yes in this example, BUT the above was to keep it simple BUT I will have to send to 25 recipients ie
>>>addresses
>>

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 08:16:24 -0800, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
>>It doesn't matter *how many* recipient addresses are entered in BCC...
>>the appearance to/for each will still be as your simple experiment.
>

>Yes I can see them in the sent folder BUT that is not my problem, the problem was that in the to box
>when each recipient gets there email every one will see the same name in the to box

That's how it's supposed to work... whether you have one BCC'ed
recipient... or 25.

You're 'sending' a msg with one *un-hidden* address in the TO: field
and that's the one which will appear in each of the BCC recipients.

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<t844qhprg0chhcbah9rh1qh6vqo3e11j9j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4626&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4626

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 12:47:34 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 19:47 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:35:22 -0800, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:52:00 +0000, hope@hope.com wrote:

>>On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 08:16:24 -0800, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
>>>It doesn't matter *how many* recipient addresses are entered in BCC...
>>>the appearance to/for each will still be as your simple experiment.
>>

>>Yes I can see them in the sent folder BUT that is not my problem, the problem was that in the to box
>>when each recipient gets there email every one will see the same name in the to box
>>

>That's how it's supposed to work... whether you have one BCC'ed
>recipient... or 25.
>
>You're 'sending' a msg with one *un-hidden* address in the TO: field
>and that's the one which will appear in each of the BCC recipients.

Yes, and that's why you usually put your own address in the TO: field.

Re: Outbound Distribution List

<j424qh5694rt5l9sl8e06tg7b918vto2j8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4627&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4627

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:00:21 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:00 UTC

> [...]

>> of the email, each with a different email address in the TO field.
>> You can do it like this:
>>
>> 1......You want to send out email to two different email addresses.
>>
>> 2......These two email addresses are test@test.com and test1@test.com
>>
>> 3......First create one new email to send.
>>
>> 4......In the TO field, put test@test.com
>>
>> 5......Do not put anything in the Bcc field.
>>
>> 6......Press send.
>>
>> 7......Go to your Sent folder and find the sent email you just sent.
>>
>> 8......Select the sent email and use the menu command
>> Action >> New Copy of Email Message.
>>
>> 9......Change the TO field from test@test.com to test1@test.com
>>
>> 10.....Press send, to sent this new copy.
>

> Oh that is going to be a long job as I say above got 25 or more address to send
>

> What if I put them in the cc box? the only problem with that is each one will see all the others

If you put them in the CC box,
* Each one will see all the others in the CC box.
* They will not see their own address in the TO box.

> Looks like I have only the two ways

There are two more ways. Which to choose depends on the
relationship with the recipients.

A. If the 25 recipients are subscribers to or members of, say,
the Shannon Picnic Hamper Club

You can send one email from Agent to all recipients,
and make the TO field say,
To: Shannon Picnic Hamper Club Member

1) Create an Outbound Distribution List and
name the list "Shannon Picnic Hamper Club Member"

2) The list has a field labelled "Use this text to hide the
addresses when you send an email".

Check the box to enable this field, and put the list name
"Shannon Picnic Hamper Club Member" in this field.

This step is important, so each one does not see all the
others addresses.

3) Create a new email.

4) Pick the list and put it in the TO field.

When you pick the list, make sure that "Expand Addresses"
is not checked. This is also important, so each one does not
see all the others addresses.

5) Press Send.

6) Everyone will receive an email. When they look in the TO field
they will all see "Shannon Picnic Hamper Club Member".

B. If you really do need the TO field to show an individual's email
address and you do not want to click Send 25 times.

You will need another program which has a "Mail Merge" feature.
Agent does not have a mail merge feature. Mail merge is a business
feature, and Agent is designed for individual users.

For example, Gmail has a mail merge feature but only organization
accounts managed by an Administrator can get mail merge. Free
Gmail accounts that you manage yourself do not get mail merge.
See <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/12921167>

If you have Microsoft Office 365, you could try this:
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/use-mail-merge-to-send-bulk-email-messages-0f123521-20ce-4aa8-8b62-ac211dedefa4>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

✉️➕️📜️⏭️⚡️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️📧️

Re: Outbound Distribution List Thanks to al sorted now

<96b4qhth46mf8aqe90qgog5rij3jnmm479@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4628&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4628

From: hope@hope.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Outbound Distribution List Thanks to al sorted now
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 21:49:40 +0000
 by: hope@hope.com - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 21:49 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:00:21 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

> [...]

> is not checked. This is also important, so each one does not
> see all the others addresses.
>
> 5) Press Send.
>
> 6) Everyone will receive an email. When they look in the TO field
> they will all see "Shannon Picnic Hamper Club Member".
>

>B. If you really do need the TO field to show an individual's email
> address and you do not want to click Send 25 times.
>
> You will need another program which has a "Mail Merge" feature.
> Agent does not have a mail merge feature. Mail merge is a business
> feature, and Agent is designed for individual users.
>
> For example, Gmail has a mail merge feature but only organization
> accounts managed by an Administrator can get mail merge. Free
> Gmail accounts that you manage yourself do not get mail merge.
> See <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/12921167>
>
> If you have Microsoft Office 365, you could try this:

Thank you very much Ralph for a VERY detailed answer to it all

I have now done it with the Distribution List method and all works fine

Kind Regards

Dumb Blonde

========================

Re: Outbound Distribution List Thanks to al sorted now

<omr4qhdf5h48oqbkkmmos5qpi3fuuc1tmq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4629&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4629

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:26:45 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 02:26 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 21:49:40 +0000, hope@hope.com wrote:

> Thank you very much Ralph for a VERY detailed answer to it all
>
> I have now done it with the Distribution List method and all works fine

You're welcome.