From: croy@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Attached PNG Files Don't Launch Smoothly
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 20:00:46 -0800
 by: croy - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 04:00 UTC

In a group that allows attachments, if the attachment is any of the common formats besides
..png, like .jpg, I can right-click, select "Launch", and up pops Irfanview with the image
loaded. When I try that with .png attachments, Agent wants me to select the application (which
does work fine--it's just an extra step that seems like it shouldn't be there).

Looking in Options|URL and MIME Settings|MIME Types, "image/png" seems to have the same
settings as all the others, like .jpg.

What can be amiss?

--
croy

Re: Attached PNG Files Don't Launch Smoothly

<71g5pht4nf75uu3u541pqnfi49jmbvpipf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4587&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4587

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Attached PNG Files Don't Launch Smoothly
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 18:10:39 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 05:10 UTC

On Thu, 08 Dec 2022 20:00:46 -0800, croy wrote:

> In a group that allows attachments, if the attachment is any of the common formats besides
> .png, like .jpg, I can right-click, select "Launch", and up pops Irfanview with the image
> loaded. When I try that with .png attachments, Agent wants me to select the application (which
> does work fine--it's just an extra step that seems like it shouldn't be there).
>
> Looking in Options|URL and MIME Settings|MIME Types, "image/png" seems to have the same
> settings as all the others, like .jpg.
>
> What can be amiss?

Either
A) Windows does not have an application associated with .png files
Or
B) Windows does have an application associated with .png files, but
that association is set only in the new part of the registry used
by applications written for Windows 10/11, and not in the older
part of the registry used by Windows XP compatible applications.

Your simplest fix is to add an associated application in Agent's MIME
types settings, similar to what is shown in this screen-shot:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_g4c5phhe_agent-set-application-for-png.png>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🕵️📰️ 🚀️ 🖼️

Re: Attached PNG Files Don't Launch Smoothly

<gpr6phhf94u1p66ri596ii2v1soegnrel7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4589&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4589

From: croy@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 09:30:01 -0800
 by: croy - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 17:30 UTC

On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 18:10:39 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>Either
> A) Windows does not have an application associated with .png files

>Or

> B) Windows does have an application associated with .png files, but
> that association is set only in the new part of the registry used
> by applications written for Windows 10/11, and not in the older
> part of the registry used by Windows XP compatible applications.
>
>Your simplest fix is to add an associated application in Agent's MIME
>types settings, similar to what is shown in this screen-shot:
><http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_g4c5phhe_agent-set-application-for-png.png>

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that this is Windows 7 Pro, x64.

A) Windows does have a Irfanview assiated with the .png extension.

B) Not applicable?

A screenshot of my MIME Types in Agent is here:

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_agent_mime_types.jpg

It hasn't been messed with for a year or so, and this tiny problem has existed for years.

Thanks again,

--
croy

Re: Attached PNG Files Don't Launch Smoothly

<6as6phdn6k8bfju728mleaa6pd8mcma04h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4590&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4590

From: croy@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 09:34:57 -0800
 by: croy - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 17:34 UTC

On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 09:30:01 -0800, croy <croy@spam.invalid.net> wrote:

I forgot to mention that from my file manager, dbl-clicking a *.png file launches Irfanview,
with the image opened. Easy peasy.

--
croy

Re: Attached PNG Files Don't Launch Smoothly

<5517ph9c997k006e0h98cdb200htn951p8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4591&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4591

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 08:30:20 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 19:30 UTC

On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 09:30:01 -0800, croy wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 18:10:39 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Either
>> A) Windows does not have an application associated with .png files
>
>> Or
>
>> B) Windows does have an application associated with .png files, but
>> that association is set only in the new part of the registry used
>> by applications written for Windows 10/11, and not in the older
>> part of the registry used by Windows XP compatible applications.
>>
>> Your simplest fix is to add an associated application in Agent's MIME
>> types settings, similar to what is shown in this screen-shot:
>> <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_g4c5phhe_agent-set-application-for-png.png>

> Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that this is Windows 7 Pro, x64.
>
> A) Windows does have a Irfanview assiated with the .png extension.

See B)

> B) Not applicable?

Applicable to launching from Windows 7 File Explorer. Also applicable to
Control Panel >> Default Programs >> Associate a file type or protocol with a program

> A screenshot of my MIME Types in Agent is here:
>
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_agent_mime_types.jpg

This does not show the settings for PNG files, because you did not select image/png.

Also need these:
1. You previously wrote "When I try that with .png attachments,
Agent wants me to select the application".
Can you tell the group what that dialog says? Or provide a link to
a screen-shot of the dialog where Agent asks?
2. The information from here:
2.1 Select a message with a PNG attachment that has been downloaded.
2.2 Go to Message >> Index
2.3 In the 'Items' box, select the row for the PNG attachment.
2.4 While that row is selected, look at these fields below
the 'Items' box and tell what they say
* Type
* Encoding
3. In Agent's MIME Types table, check whether any rows other than
image/png have a 'png' in the extensions box. For example, years
ago you might have added 'png' to application/octet-stream, and
since forgotten about it.

On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 09:34:57 -0800, croy wrote:

> I forgot to mention that from my file manager, dbl-clicking a *.png file launches Irfanview,
> with the image opened. Easy peasy.

See reply to B) above.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🕵️📰️ 🚀️ 🖼️

Re: Attached PNG Files Don't Launch Smoothly

<8nl9ph5q6ffooj4nb8drrlk25td20lfcv2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4592&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4592

From: croy@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 11:10:28 -0800
 by: croy - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 19:10 UTC

On Sat, 10 Dec 2022 08:30:20 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_agent_mime_types.jpg
>
>This does not show the settings for PNG files, because you did not select image/png.

Yeah, that would have been better. Here's a new one:

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_20221210_mime_types.png

>Also need these:
> 1. You previously wrote "When I try that with .png attachments,
> Agent wants me to select the application".
> Can you tell the group what that dialog says? Or provide a link to
> a screen-shot of the dialog where Agent asks?

No (sheepishly). When I tried just now, opening the same message I tested with a few days ago,
it now opens the .png attachment immediately in Irf. I haven't changed any settings, and am at
a complete loss to explain the change in behavior.

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_20221210_message_index.png

> 3. In Agent's MIME Types table, check whether any rows other than
> image/png have a 'png' in the extensions box. For example, years
> ago you might have added 'png' to application/octet-stream, and
> since forgotten about it.

That all looks clean.

At any rate, this long-time irritation seems to have gone walkabout, and good riddence.

I wish I knew what changed. And I appologize for taking up your time, but thank you for your
detailed help.

--
croy

Re: Attached PNG Files Don't Launch Smoothly

<c7rnphhc8jf3arjul6d4busbki7567t2jt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4607&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4607

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:14:21 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 04:14 UTC

On Sat, 10 Dec 2022 11:10:28 -0800, croy wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2022 08:30:20 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Also need these:
>> 1. You previously wrote "When I try that with .png attachments,
>> Agent wants me to select the application".
>> Can you tell the group what that dialog says? Or provide a link to
>> a screen-shot of the dialog where Agent asks?
>
> No (sheepishly). When I tried just now, opening the same message I tested with a few days ago,
> it now opens the .png attachment immediately in Irf. I haven't changed any settings, and am at
> a complete loss to explain the change in behavior.
>
>> 2. The information from here:
>> 2.1 Select a message with a PNG attachment that has been downloaded.
>> 2.2 Go to Message >> Index
>> 2.3 In the 'Items' box, select the row for the PNG attachment.
>> 2.4 While that row is selected, look at these fields below
>> the 'Items' box and tell what they say
>> * Type
>> * Encoding
>
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_20221210_message_index.png
>

>> 3. In Agent's MIME Types table, check whether any rows other than
>> image/png have a 'png' in the extensions box. For example, years
>> ago you might have added 'png' to application/octet-stream, and
>> since forgotten about it.
>
> That all looks clean.
>
> At any rate, this long-time irritation seems to have gone walkabout, and good riddence.
>
> I wish I knew what changed. And I appologize for taking up your time, but thank you for your
> detailed help.

Odd. I could explain how a PNG attachment in one message might behave
differently to a PNG attachment in a different message.

But if you haven't changed your Agent MIME types settings or Windows
associations, then I cannot explain how a PNG attachment in the same
message would behave differently at two different times.

Maybe it is just one of those things why I like to do a full restart
every so many days. To clear out any memory errors which a "fast
boot" doesn't (because it hibernates the kernel and any memory errors
in it).

--
Kind regards
Ralph