From: jbb@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: File save choices
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 22:48:21 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Mon, 29 May 2023 04:48 UTC

Win 7 PRO SP1 64-bit running FF V13.0.2 64-bit.

I just noticed a change when saving a file whose Content Type is not
included in the list given on the first page of the Settings App. Old
behavior:

1. Do I want to open or save.
2. When I select save, it put the file there.

New behavior:

1. As above
2. Just dumps the file in the (Windows) Downloads folder.

I don't like this as I now need to go to downloads folder and manual
move the file to where it belongs. The problems:

1. Many if not most downloaded files have names that are not easily
recognized - the name codes info for manufacturer, not the user.

2. There may be a bunch of files in Download folder and it's rather
difficult for me to snag several (with one cut and paste).

3. When I'm trying to research a topic (by gathering multiple relevant
documents to a common place), I must either break my train of activity
to grab the file before I forget its 20-30+ character name or let the
files accumulate in the wrong destination then exacerbate problem 2 above.

Does anyone know how to restore the previous behavior?
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: File save choices

<2dgsyy5ppywh$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#39

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: File save choices
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 05:51:22 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 29 May 2023 10:51 UTC

Presumably that is a typo -----^^

> I just noticed a change when saving a file whose Content Type is not
> included in the list given on the first page of the Settings App. Old
> behavior:
>
> 1. Do I want to open or save.
> 2. When I select save, it put the file there.
>
> New behavior:
>
> 1. As above
> 2. Just dumps the file in the (Windows) Downloads folder.

> Does anyone know how to restore the previous behavior?

about:preferences
Files and Applications
Downloads

Is the "Always ask you were to save files" checked?

At that same spot in settings, you can browse to where you want the
default save location, but you still get to choose on a download where
to save it (a browse dialog appears to navigate the file system).

Re: File save choices

<u52t3u$1j68i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=42&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#42

From: jbb@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 13:06:38 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Mon, 29 May 2023 19:06 UTC

On 5/29/2023 4:51 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote:
>
>> Win 7 PRO SP1 64-bit running FF V13.0.2 64-bit.
> Presumably that is a typo -----^^

Yup: 13 -> 113

>> I just noticed a change when saving a file whose Content Type is not
>> included in the list given on the first page of the Settings App. Old
>> behavior:
>>
>> 1. Do I want to open or save.
>> 2. When I select save, it put the file there.
>>
>> New behavior:
>>
>> 1. As above
>> 2. Just dumps the file in the (Windows) Downloads folder.

>> Does anyone know how to restore the previous behavior?
>
> about:preferences
> Files and Applications
> Downloads
>
> Is the "Always ask you were to save files" checked?
>
> At that same spot in settings, you can browse to where you want the
> default save location, but you still get to choose on a download where
> to save it (a browse dialog appears to navigate the file system).

I found it. That had always been checked for as long as I can remember.
Did some recent update uncheck it?

Thanks for taking time to respond.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: File save choices

<917ijpxerulz$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#43

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 14:54:25 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 29 May 2023 19:54 UTC

Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just noticed a change when saving a file whose Content Type is not
>>> included in the list given on the first page of the Settings App. Old
>>> behavior:
>>>
>>> 1. Do I want to open or save.
>>> 2. When I select save, it put the file there.
>>>
>>> New behavior:
>>>
>>> 1. As above
>>> 2. Just dumps the file in the (Windows) Downloads folder.

>>> Does anyone know how to restore the previous behavior?
>>
>> about:preferences
>> Files and Applications
>> Downloads
>>
>> Is the "Always ask you were to save files" checked?
>>
>> At that same spot in settings, you can browse to where you want the
>> default save location, but you still get to choose on a download where
>> to save it (a browse dialog appears to navigate the file system).
>
> I found it. That had always been checked for as long as I can remember.
> Did some recent update uncheck it?
>
> Thanks for taking time to respond.

I've seen users say settings got changed by an update. Could be an
update, an add-on, a tweaker, a forgotten user change, or whatever. I
mostly remember the setting because Mozilla changed the default
location, and users had to figure out how to set it back, so settings do
sometimes change in an update often because functionality changes. I
know, for example, that some old settings (in about:config) disappeared
and were no longer valid even if you added them back.

Re: File save choices

<u53174$1k5sj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#44

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 16:16:36 -0400
 by: knuttle - Mon, 29 May 2023 20:16 UTC

On 5/29/2023 3:54 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> I've seen users say settings got changed by an update. Could be an
> update, an add-on, a tweaker, a forgotten user change, or whatever. I
> mostly remember the setting because Mozilla changed the default
> location, and users had to figure out how to set it back, so settings do
> sometimes change in an update often because functionality changes. I
> know, for example, that some old settings (inabout:config) disappeared
> and were no longer valid even if you added them back.
You forgot mouse dribble. The mouse dribbling clicks across the screen.

ie Accidentally clicking the mouse and not realizing it. I have had
more accidental changes this way than any other

Re: File save choices

<1fy9bgvvcsv9.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#46

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 16:14:02 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 29 May 2023 21:14 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> I've seen users say settings got changed by an update. Could be an
>> update, an add-on, a tweaker, a forgotten user change, or whatever. I
>> mostly remember the setting because Mozilla changed the default
>> location, and users had to figure out how to set it back, so settings do
>> sometimes change in an update often because functionality changes. I
>> know, for example, that some old settings (inabout:config) disappeared
>> and were no longer valid even if you added them back.
>
> You forgot mouse dribble. The mouse dribbling clicks across the screen.
> ie Accidentally clicking the mouse and not realizing it. I have had
> more accidental changes this way than any other

Well, there's also on what your eyes are focused versus where the mouse
pointer is positioned when you click.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: File save choices