From: BillyJ@BillyJ.com (BillyJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: OT Home Security Cameras
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 10:15:45 -0700
 by: BillyJ - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 17:15 UTC

Looking for a home security camera system.
I do not need or want door and window monitoring.

I have the following systems now.
Lorex WiFi indoor
Samsumg WiFi indoor.

Indoor is OK as I position them at a windows so the camera needs to be
able to adjust for the outdoor brightness. Some of mine really old
cameras do not adjust and are washed out for through the glass
monitoring and suffice for indoor only work. Other cams wok fine.

Samsung is total crap software. It worked fine for years then now it
just need to be reset every hour or two.

Lorex stays up better but also quits.

I am viewing on Android tablets and PC.
Android tablets are probably the problem as viewing on the PC with Lorex
is better but still not reliable.

Neither seem to have an automatic relink and have to have manual resets
way too often.

Now Lorex has removed all web page related to the models I have so I
consider them poor suppliers. On of my Lorex cameras keeps saying it has
an update but it will not do it since Lorex removed support. After all I
do not think they make their branded equipment just as Samsung does not.
Use Chinese written software that is not properly designed. So I
curse Lorex.

Does anyone make and sell a reliable wifi camera system?

Better if it does not use / need some remote server.
Need 1024 and good night vision.
All mine through the glass work perfectly when working for night IR, not
really needed, and resolution.

Remote servers are invasive and have to go down for maintenance too
often with worse operations after each update.

Suppliers are trying to get rid of us so they can kill the whole thing
and save themselves some $.

Samsung viewed on Android tablet and phone. NOT PC with any easy.
Really crappy app for PC. Not worth even fiddling with. Samsung allows
only one camera at at time viewing. Crappy.

Lorex viewed on Android tablet, phone and PC. BEST coverage!
Lorex allows 4 camera viewing at one time.

I need multiple cam viewing on PC. Have Win 7 Pro laptops for this.

Suggestions please.

Re: OT Home Security Cameras

<tbrbs7$2guv7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4591&group=alt.windows7.general#4591

From: NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: OT Home Security Cameras
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 05:42:45 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:42 UTC

BillyJ graced us with on 7/24/2022 10:15 AM:
> Looking for a home security camera system.
> I do not need or want door and window monitoring.
>
> I have the following systems now.
> Lorex WiFi indoor
> Samsumg WiFi indoor.
>
> Indoor is OK as I position them at a windows so the camera needs to be
> able to adjust for the outdoor brightness. Some of mine really old
> cameras do not adjust and are washed out for through the glass
> monitoring and suffice for indoor only work. Other cams wok fine.
>
> Samsung is total crap software. It worked fine for years then now it
> just need to be reset every hour or two.
>
> Lorex stays up better but also quits.
>
> I am viewing on Android tablets and PC.
> Android tablets are probably the problem as viewing on the PC with Lorex
> is better but still not reliable.
>
> Neither seem to have an automatic relink and have to have manual resets
> way too often.
>
> Now Lorex has removed all web page related to the models I have so I
> consider them poor suppliers. On of my Lorex cameras keeps saying it has
> an update but it will not do it since Lorex removed support. After all I
> do not think they make their branded equipment just as Samsung does not.
> Use Chinese written software that is not properly designed. So I curse
> Lorex.
>
> Does anyone make and sell a reliable wifi camera system?
>
> Better if it does not use / need some remote server.
> Need 1024 and good night vision.
> All mine through the glass work perfectly when working for night IR, not
> really needed, and resolution.
>
> Remote servers are invasive and have to go down for maintenance too
> often with worse operations after each update.
>
> Suppliers are trying to get rid of us so they can kill the whole thing
> and save themselves some $.
>
> Samsung viewed on Android tablet and phone. NOT PC with any easy.
> Really crappy app for PC. Not worth even fiddling with. Samsung allows
> only one camera at at time viewing. Crappy.
>
> Lorex viewed on Android tablet, phone and PC. BEST coverage!
> Lorex allows 4 camera viewing at one time.
>
> I need multiple cam viewing on PC. Have Win 7 Pro laptops for this.
>
> Suggestions please.

I installed a Lorex Power over Ethernet (PoE) 4K system and am generally
pleased with the picture quality and surveillance features. My biggest
complain was the connector shell where camera and NVR cables connect. If
the connector was exposed to direct water contact (ex. rain) the seals
on the barrel connector did not prevent water from seeping in and ended
up shorting out the camera. I ended up getting a watertight junction box
which worked like a charm, see:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BPPKF2C

My unit was purchased in 2018 and is still working fine but it may not
be offered anymore with newer models being available, see:
https://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/ip-cameras/LNB8105X/LNB8105X_Series_Specs_R2.pdf

It came with smartphone app ability as well as a program that works
fine on my Win7 system and the 4K images are beyond amazing (the system
allows for lower resolution display, as well.)

I purchased it from Costco for a bit over $1,000USD.

gl

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: OT Home Security Cameras

<tbrhsu$2hlde$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4594&group=alt.windows7.general#4594

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:25:22 +0100
 by: NY - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:25 UTC

"BillyJ" <BillyJ@BillyJ.com> wrote in message
> Indoor is OK as I position them at a windows so the camera needs to be
> able to adjust for the outdoor brightness. Some of mine really old
> cameras do not adjust and are washed out for through the glass monitoring
> and suffice for indoor only work. Other cams wok fine.

Do you need the camera to be able to see outdoors at night? One of the
problems with having the camera indoors is that the ring of IR LEDs that the
camera uses for illumination at night will reflect off the glass in the
window, causing glare that hides anything outside. That happens even if the
camera is not perpendicular to the glass, when you'd think that the IR would
be reflected in the opposite direction to the camera.

We have a couple of Foscam cameras from about 10 years ago (they are only
640x480, which shows their age) and they cannot be used indoors to "see"
outdoors at night, for that reason. I tend to turn IR off on that camera and
rely on the fact that an intruder will cause the outside light to turn on
which will be seen by the camera in non-IR mode.