From: gp@rr.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Off Subject question about Windows 7?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 05:33:50 -0600
 by: gp@rr.com - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 11:33 UTC

I am still running Win 7 on my main computer which I use for Agent,
Newhosting,email,Plex and everyday use. I also use it for my Plex
server with 40 TB of storage on it.

I just got the notice that I will no longer be able to update Chrome
since they are dropping support for Windows 7. I use Chrome as my main
browser but do use Firefox and Opera on it.

Do anyone know if Firefox and Opera plan to drop support for Windows
7? Is there another browser that is worth using.

I did find the following:
Firefox users on Windows 7 and 8.1 would be moved to Firefox 102 ESR,
the current Extended Support Release branch, and would receive updates
until Firefox 102 ESR is moved to Firefox 114 ESR; this happens in
August 2023. this was posted on Nov 1, 2022 by the way.

I have upgraded all my other 4 computers with Windows 10 and have 1
computer running Windows 11.

This Win 7 computer runs perfect. It runs 24/7 has an I5-2700k CPU, 16
GB of RAM and 1 TB SATA SSD and 40 TB of hard drive storage. It looks
like I will have to upgrade it to Windows 10? I have 1 computer
running Windows 11 but did not like having to keep finding where
Microsoft had moved menus items.

I have tried Ubuntu briefly a couple of times over the past 3 years
but just did not like it. I have been using and building my computers
since the first computer I bought only had 2 floppies and ran DOS.

Just wondering what other people still running Windows 7 are doing?
I do run the newest Norton antivirus program but figure it may get
hard to find any that will keep working over the next year or 2.

Re: Off Subject question about Windows 7?

<o89poh958puueht4vtbe8ise38qeel4j68@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4579&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4579

From: herrands@t-online.de (Herrand Petrowitsch)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Off Subject question about Windows 7?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 17:32:17 +0100
 by: Herrand Petrowitsch - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 16:32 UTC

gp@rr.com wrote:

> I am still running Win 7 on my main computer which I use for Agent,
> Newhosting,email,Plex and everyday use. I also use it for my Plex
> server with 40 TB of storage on it.
>
> I just got the notice that I will no longer be able to update Chrome
> since they are dropping support for Windows 7. I use Chrome as my main
> browser but do use Firefox and Opera on it.
> [...]
> I have upgraded all my other 4 computers with Windows 10 and have 1
> computer running Windows 11.
>
> This Win 7 computer runs perfect.

Since Windows 7 ran out of maintenance in early 2020 it does not run
perfectly any more.

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962>

Even if you purchased extended security updates (ESU) for Windows 7
there are strong recommendations to upgrade to a supported operating
system prior to Jan. 10, 2023.

<https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/windows-7-eos-faq/windows-7-extended-security-updates-faq#what-are-the-coverage-dates-for-the-three-windows-7-esu-skus->

As this is not a question regarding to Agent you might refer to an
appropriate OS group.

Please note that Agent is designed to run on Windows based OS. In spite
of that Agent might run on Linux wine aa well.

--
Kind regards
Herrand

Re: Off Subject question about Windows 7?

<q2kpoh5hhl89moehe23nftqf4b73863f5m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4580&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4580

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 10:01:37 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 17:01 UTC

On Sun, 04 Dec 2022 17:32:17 +0100, Herrand Petrowitsch
<herrands@t-online.de> wrote:

>gp@rr.com wrote:
>
>> I am still running Win 7 on my main computer which I use for Agent,
>> Newhosting,email,Plex and everyday use. I also use it for my Plex
>> server with 40 TB of storage on it.
>>
>> I just got the notice that I will no longer be able to update Chrome
>> since they are dropping support for Windows 7. I use Chrome as my main
>> browser but do use Firefox and Opera on it.
>> [...]
>> I have upgraded all my other 4 computers with Windows 10 and have 1
>> computer running Windows 11.
>>
>> This Win 7 computer runs perfect.
>
>Since Windows 7 ran out of maintenance in early 2020 it does not run
>perfectly any more.

No operating system has ever run perfectly. All software but the
trivial has some bugs.

In such an old operating system, most bugs are minor, and many are
experienced only by a limited number of users--those who have
particular hardware or use some particular combination of features.
The fact that Windows 7 maintenance has ended is almost irrelevant to
most of its users. The only significant point is that if you use it,
you should run third-party security software that is kept up to date.

>Even if you purchased extended security updates (ESU) for Windows 7
>there are strong recommendations to upgrade to a supported operating
>system prior to Jan. 10, 2023.

Strong recommendation by Microsoft and by some people, not by
everyone. I personally think that are several good reasons for
upgrading from 7 to 11, but those reasons have little to do with the
lack of Microsoft support.