Pournelle must die!

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.

SubjectAuthor
* I get an error when I try to send an email.Kirk Bubul
`* Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.Ralph Fox
 +* Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.Kirk Bubul
 |`* Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.Ralph Fox
 | +* Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.Kirk Bubul
 | |`* Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.pete
 | | `- Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.Kirk Bubul
 | `* Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.Kirk Bubul
 |  +- Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.Dennis Lee Bieber
 |  `- Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.Nick
 `- Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.Dennis Lee Bieber

1
I get an error when I try to send an email.

<a6sjohp65fm7i39klhomo0aj309p47kiva@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4566&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4566

From: khbubul@charter.net (Kirk Bubul)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: I get an error when I try to send an email.
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 06:44:23 -0600
 by: Kirk Bubul - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 12:44 UTC

Suddenly, I get an error message whenever I try to send an email:

Quote:

An error has occurred in an online task.

Error: server Charter (smtp.charter.net). Permission denied by
your computer to perform the online operation.

Task: send email message test #2
Server charter (smtp.charter.net)
Time: 12/2/22 6:26:51 AM

End Quote.

This is with Agent 8 on a Windows 11 desktop.

How do I fix this? It receives new email just fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.

<raikohl388uvl706uaqtoa7o9m0tjlibu0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4567&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4567

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 08:30:06 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 19:30 UTC

On Fri, 02 Dec 2022 06:44:23 -0600, Kirk Bubul wrote:

> Suddenly, I get an error message whenever I try to send an email:
>
> Quote:
>
> An error has occurred in an online task.
>
> Error: server Charter (smtp.charter.net). Permission denied by
> your computer to perform the online operation.
>
> Task: send email message test #2
> Server charter (smtp.charter.net)
> Time: 12/2/22 6:26:51 AM
>
> End Quote.
>
> This is with Agent 8 on a Windows 11 desktop.
>
> How do I fix this? It receives new email just fine.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

That is an error from Windows, specifically from Windows networking.
Winsock error 10013, WSAEACCES (Permission denied).

First thing to do is to check that your outbound email server
settings are correct.

Host Name: smtp.charter.net
Connection: Connect securely on standard mail submission port
In the Advanced Settings button
Use a non-standard SMTP port: NOT checked
Port: 587 (and greyed out)

If that doesn't work, try
Host Name: mobile.charter.net

You may also need to check your Antivirus settings to see that your AV
will trust Agent to send email. Many Antivirus programs want to insert
themselves between programs like Agent and Windows networking.

This does not appear to be a problem with the login settings. It seems
that Agent is not even getting to the point where it can try to log in.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Agent Unicode test: ✍📧📮🖅⛔🧱✋👮

Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.

<4vokoh1k5tjhqomg7i0uekb1ijcsii29i6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4568&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4568

From: khbubul@charter.net (Kirk Bubul)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 14:47:40 -0600
 by: Kirk Bubul - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 20:47 UTC

On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 08:30:06 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Dec 2022 06:44:23 -0600, Kirk Bubul wrote:

>> Suddenly, I get an error message whenever I try to send an email:
>>
>> Quote:
>>
>> An error has occurred in an online task.
>>
>> Error: server Charter (smtp.charter.net). Permission denied by
>> your computer to perform the online operation.
>>
>> Task: send email message test #2
>> Server charter (smtp.charter.net)
>> Time: 12/2/22 6:26:51 AM
>>
>> End Quote.
>>
>> This is with Agent 8 on a Windows 11 desktop.
>>
>> How do I fix this? It receives new email just fine.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>

>That is an error from Windows, specifically from Windows networking.
>Winsock error 10013, WSAEACCES (Permission denied).
>
>First thing to do is to check that your outbound email server
>settings are correct.
>
> Host Name: smtp.charter.net
> Connection: Connect securely on standard mail submission port
> In the Advanced Settings button
> Use a non-standard SMTP port: NOT checked
> Port: 587 (and greyed out)
>
>If that doesn't work, try
> Host Name: mobile.charter.net
>

>You may also need to check your Antivirus settings to see that your AV
>will trust Agent to send email. Many Antivirus programs want to insert
>themselves between programs like Agent and Windows networking.
>

>This does not appear to be a problem with the login settings. It seems
>that Agent is not even getting to the point where it can try to log in.

Ralph,

I tried what you suggested and failed to successfully sent an
email. Any other ideas?

Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.

<gjpkoh1oo52tr42fe2o9ao8ue7jl4ggd9p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4569&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4569

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 10:07:21 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 21:07 UTC

On Fri, 02 Dec 2022 14:47:40 -0600, Kirk Bubul wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 08:30:06 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Dec 2022 06:44:23 -0600, Kirk Bubul wrote:

>>> Suddenly, I get an error message whenever I try to send an email:
>>>
>>> Quote:
>>>
>>> An error has occurred in an online task.
>>>
>>> Error: server Charter (smtp.charter.net). Permission denied by
>>> your computer to perform the online operation.
>>>
>>> Task: send email message test #2
>>> Server charter (smtp.charter.net)
>>> Time: 12/2/22 6:26:51 AM
>>>
>>> End Quote.
>>>
>>> This is with Agent 8 on a Windows 11 desktop.
>>>
>>> How do I fix this? It receives new email just fine.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>>

>> That is an error from Windows, specifically from Windows networking.
>> Winsock error 10013, WSAEACCES (Permission denied).
>>
>> First thing to do is to check that your outbound email server
>> settings are correct.
>>
>> Host Name: smtp.charter.net
>> Connection: Connect securely on standard mail submission port
>> In the Advanced Settings button
>> Use a non-standard SMTP port: NOT checked
>> Port: 587 (and greyed out)
>>
>> If that doesn't work, try
>> Host Name: mobile.charter.net
>>

>> You may also need to check your Antivirus settings to see that your AV
>> will trust Agent to send email. Many Antivirus programs want to insert
>> themselves between programs like Agent and Windows networking.
>>

>> This does not appear to be a problem with the login settings. It seems
>> that Agent is not even getting to the point where it can try to log in.
>
> Ralph,
>
> I tried what you suggested and failed to successfully sent an
> email. Any other ideas?

At this point you may need suggestions for your specific Antivirus & Firewall,
whichever they are. And ideas from someone who knows those specific products.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🤫🔀🤷

Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.

<79skohdnjkdfk4sososfjc0gohl6dj2t48@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4570&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4570

From: khbubul@charter.net (Kirk Bubul)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 15:58:13 -0600
 by: Kirk Bubul - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 21:58 UTC

On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 10:07:21 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Dec 2022 14:47:40 -0600, Kirk Bubul wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 08:30:06 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> That is an error from Windows, specifically from Windows networking.
>>> Winsock error 10013, WSAEACCES (Permission denied).
>>>
>>> First thing to do is to check that your outbound email server
>>> settings are correct.
>>>
>>> Host Name: smtp.charter.net
>>> Connection: Connect securely on standard mail submission port
>>> In the Advanced Settings button
>>> Use a non-standard SMTP port: NOT checked
>>> Port: 587 (and greyed out)
>>>
>>> If that doesn't work, try
>>> Host Name: mobile.charter.net
>>>

>>> You may also need to check your Antivirus settings to see that your AV
>>> will trust Agent to send email. Many Antivirus programs want to insert
>>> themselves between programs like Agent and Windows networking.
>>>

>>> This does not appear to be a problem with the login settings. It seems
>>> that Agent is not even getting to the point where it can try to log in.
>>
>> Ralph,
>>
>> I tried what you suggested and failed to successfully sent an
>> email. Any other ideas?
>

>At this point you may need suggestions for your specific Antivirus & Firewall,
>whichever they are. And ideas from someone who knows those specific products.

I installed Norton 360 Deluxe last week. It worked fine for days
with no effect on my email until yesterday.

Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.

<1qdlohtgiufu82nmnpsuqusol1tucota1e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4571&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4571

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 21:45:37 -0500
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 02:45 UTC

On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 08:30:06 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> declaimed
the following:

>You may also need to check your Antivirus settings to see that your AV
>will trust Agent to send email. Many Antivirus programs want to insert
>themselves between programs like Agent and Windows networking.

I'd suggest also checking the firewall settings.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.

<im8moh94s62be5ua26uhh22cae99i2u6rb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4572&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4572

From: pete@never.here
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 10:22:53 +0000
 by: pete@never.here - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 10:22 UTC

On Fri, 02 Dec 2022 15:58:13 -0600, Kirk Bubul <khbubul@charter.net>
wrote:

snipped

>I installed Norton 360 Deluxe last week. It worked fine for days
>with no effect on my email until yesterday.

I don't know Norton 360 but isn't it possible to temporarily disable
it to see whether you can send email correctly then?

Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.

<ujhmohpcf7mlltck7p832ej7obfo8vo80t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4573&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4573

From: khbubul@charter.net (Kirk Bubul)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 06:53:49 -0600
 by: Kirk Bubul - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 12:53 UTC

On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 10:22:53 +0000, pete@never.here wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Dec 2022 15:58:13 -0600, Kirk Bubul <khbubul@charter.net>
>wrote:
>
>snipped
>

>>I installed Norton 360 Deluxe last week. It worked fine for days
>>with no effect on my email until yesterday.
>
>I don't know Norton 360 but isn't it possible to temporarily disable
>it to see whether you can send email correctly then?
I disabled the Norton VPN and successfully sent an email.
Thanks to you and Ralph for the idea.

Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.

<4phmoh100l73q6osmj3qonof7kaaqsoggd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4574&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4574

From: khbubul@charter.net (Kirk Bubul)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 06:56:07 -0600
 by: Kirk Bubul - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 12:56 UTC

wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Dec 2022 14:47:40 -0600, Kirk Bubul wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 08:30:06 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> That is an error from Windows, specifically from Windows networking.
>>> Winsock error 10013, WSAEACCES (Permission denied).
>>>
>>> First thing to do is to check that your outbound email server
>>> settings are correct.
>>>
>>> Host Name: smtp.charter.net
>>> Connection: Connect securely on standard mail submission port
>>> In the Advanced Settings button
>>> Use a non-standard SMTP port: NOT checked
>>> Port: 587 (and greyed out)
>>>
>>> If that doesn't work, try
>>> Host Name: mobile.charter.net
>>>

>>> You may also need to check your Antivirus settings to see that your AV
>>> will trust Agent to send email. Many Antivirus programs want to insert
>>> themselves between programs like Agent and Windows networking.
>>>

>>> This does not appear to be a problem with the login settings. It seems
>>> that Agent is not even getting to the point where it can try to log in.
>>
>> Ralph,
>>
>> I tried what you suggested and failed to successfully sent an
>> email. Any other ideas?
>

>At this point you may need suggestions for your specific Antivirus & Firewall,
>whichever they are. And ideas from someone who knows those specific products.

I just tries disabling my Norton VPN and successfully sent an
email. Good idea.

Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.

<0ttmoh1dirvhu55h17cvn24s6gep3laqul@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4575&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4575

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 11:27:18 -0500
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 16:27 UTC

On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 06:56:07 -0600, Kirk Bubul <khbubul@charter.net>
declaimed the following:

>I just tries disabling my Norton VPN and successfully sent an
>email. Good idea.

"VPN" => Virtual Private Network

If you actually were using a VPN, you probably needed to send emails
using some server /in/ the VPN, or configure /it/ for the server you really
used. It may be blocking SMTP for some reason (SMTP, originally, was a
wide-open protocol -- any machine could connect to any server and handshake
for email going to a third server). Even with the change over to various
authentication protocols.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: I get an error when I try to send an email.

<ajumohldfb0tnfg45a0emd877bvva2neh9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4576&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4576

From: tanstaafl@pobox.com (Nick)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 11:57:20 -0500
 by: Nick - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 16:57 UTC

On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 06:56:07 -0600, in
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, Kirk Bubul <khbubul@charter.net>
wrote:

<snip>

>I just tries disabling my Norton VPN and successfully sent an
>email. Good idea.

I just remembered that I had a similar problem with Norton's VPN and Agent
some time ago.

To work around it, go into the VPN options and add agent.exe to the list of
excluded apps for split tunneling. That will allow Agent to access the
Internet directly, without going through Norton's VPN, while other programs
will still use the VPN for Internet access.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" ("Who watches the watchers?")