From: runningman@writeable.com (The Running Man)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Subject: Re: Re: google groups users
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:16:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Running Man - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:16 UTC

On 21/02/2024 11:10 Steve Bonine <spb@pobox.com>
wrote:
> The Running Man wrote:

>>> Let's hope for the best! =) Would be nice to have a federated space for
>>> long form discussions that is not dependent on a single for-profit
>>> company.
>>
>> Indeed. Google simply isn't trustworthy.
>>
>> Sad thing is: many software projects have moved their discussion fora to Google Groups (like wxWidgets). I hope they'll consider returning sometime in the future.
> What you are saying is that a group of people in an established
> discussion on Google or another platform is going to say, "Oh look!
> Google is disconnecting with Usenet! That means we can uproot our
> established discussion and move it to Usenet!"
>
> What are the chances that participants of any significant group are
> willing to uproot the group from one platform and re-establish it on a
> different one? If they were dissatisfied with where they are, they
> would have taken action already. Google's decision to cut the cord on
> Usenet has about as much correlation with that move as a solar eclipse.

I'm assuming more and more people will realize that Google's interests are not their interests and they'll act accordingly.

Google Groups isn't any better than UseNet and has significant down-sides. Like being dependent on a monopolistic Tech Giant who'll always put its profits ahead of the good of its users.

Re: google groups users

<urdubb$1eqqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=466&group=alt.fan.usenet#466

From: spb@pobox.com (Steve Bonine)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Subject: Re: google groups users
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 17:32:57 -0600
 by: Steve Bonine - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 23:32 UTC

The Running Man wrote:

> I'm assuming more and more people will realize that Google's interests are not their interests and they'll act accordingly.

Do you really need someone to remind you of the true meaning of the word
ASSuME?

> Google Groups isn't any better than UseNet and has significant down-sides. Like being dependent on a monopolistic Tech Giant who'll always put its profits ahead of the good of its users.

The sad thing is that for a lot of folks that's a feature not a bug.
The owner is ridiculously rich; they must be ridiculously smart. The
decentralized architecture of Usenet is important to vanishingly few
people; the important thing is where their friends are. They're not on
Usenet.

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: Re: google groups users