From: me@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Text file opened as JPG
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 17:19:40 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 17:19 UTC

I bought some software today and after payment I received the
confirmation email attaching a product key: 'DirListerPro.txt'.

It was clearly not text! It opened in IrfanView as a JPG, but with the
appropriate text displayed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6utcdhow0pjhtu/TextorJPG.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3pnybm09xl0a1x/DirListerProKey.jpg?raw=1

I contacted the supplier who promptly sent me the correct text file, but
had no idea how that could have happened. The intermediary was
2checkout.com. Despite my curiosity I probably won't bother seeking an
explanation from them. But I wonder if anyone here has seen this sort of
bizarre issue before?

Terry