From: pete@never.here
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Problems with newsgroup alt.binaries.e-book
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 11:34:47 +0100
 by: pete@never.here - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 10:34 UTC

Using Agent vn8.00/32.1272

and Pan 0.146 both using

news.newshosting.com port 563 using a secure SLL connection.

Connection limit set to 4 on both.

Until recently I was able to receive on Agent "New eBooks Packs"
postings by "psychopath" It was only when others made comments about
the later ones that I realised I wasn't receiving them any more.

As far as I was aware I hadn't made any changes to my Agent settings.

As I'd been caught before by filters before I ddisabled all the
filters by deleting the filters folder. Made no difference.

As an experiment I set up Pan, using the same news server with, I
think, exactly the same settings and the new ebook packs were there
plus others postins missing on Agent.

I've been receiving them on Agent without problem previously, so it
must be a change I've inadvertently made.

Any thoughts appreciated.
--
Pete

Re: Problems with newsgroup alt.binaries.e-book

<1qkvkhl0upa6cdii3uo0rg6mav5tbm4p2s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4446&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4446

From: pete@never.here
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Problems with newsgroup alt.binaries.e-book
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 11:39:03 +0100
 by: pete@never.here - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 10:39 UTC

On Wed, 19 Oct 2022 11:34:47 +0100, pete@never.here wrote:

>Using Agent vn8.00/32.1272
>
>and Pan 0.146 both using
>
>news.newshosting.com port 563 using a secure SLL connection.
>
>Connection limit set to 4 on both.
>
>Until recently I was able to receive on Agent "New eBooks Packs"
>postings by "psychopath" It was only when others made comments about
>the later ones that I realised I wasn't receiving them any more.
>
>As far as I was aware I hadn't made any changes to my Agent settings.
>
>As I'd been caught before by filters before I ddisabled all the
>filters by deleting the filters folder. Made no difference.
>
>As an experiment I set up Pan, using the same news server with, I
>think, exactly the same settings and the new ebook packs were there
>plus others postins missing on Agent.
>
>I've been receiving them on Agent without problem previously, so it
>must be a change I've inadvertently made.
>
>Any thoughts appreciated.

Sorry. "As I'd been caught before by filters before I ddisabled"
should have been "As I'd been caught by filters before I disabled"
--
Pete

Re: Problems with newsgroup alt.binaries.e-book

<6nq1lhde0chtcmiucr23fvrcg7as2gvp9n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4450&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4450

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 20:07:43 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 07:07 UTC

On Wed, 19 Oct 2022 11:34:47 +0100, pete@never.here wrote:

> Using Agent vn8.00/32.1272
>
> and Pan 0.146 both using
>
> news.newshosting.com port 563 using a secure SLL connection.
>
> Connection limit set to 4 on both.
>
> Until recently I was able to receive on Agent "New eBooks Packs"
> postings by "psychopath" It was only when others made comments about
> the later ones that I realised I wasn't receiving them any more.
>
> As far as I was aware I hadn't made any changes to my Agent settings.
>
> As I'd been caught by filters before I disabled all the
> filters by deleting the filters folder. Made no difference.
>
> As an experiment I set up Pan, using the same news server with, I
> think, exactly the same settings and the new ebook packs were there
> plus others postins missing on Agent.
>
> I've been receiving them on Agent without problem previously, so it
> must be a change I've inadvertently made.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

I just checked alt.binaries.e-book here in both Agent 8 and Pan 0.149.
Both newsreaders showed the same most recent post by psychopath.
That post was at 2022-10-13 05:19 GMT (or the corresponding local time
in one's own time zone).

The normal way to disable Usenet filters in Agent 8.00 is to go to
"Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Filters"
and put a check-mark in "Disable filtering for all folders".
I do not know what was meant by "deleting the filters folder", so
I do not know whether that would have the right effect.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🕵📰🔎 ⍰ 🔍🪈📰

Re: Problems with newsgroup alt.binaries.e-book

<3p12lhl6lk09krt3osmalhereg61gfs7ti@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4451&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4451

From: pete@never.here
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 09:59:56 +0100
 by: pete@never.here - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 08:59 UTC

rOn Thu, 20 Oct 2022 20:07:43 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Oct 2022 11:34:47 +0100, pete@never.here wrote:
>
>> Using Agent vn8.00/32.1272
>>
>> and Pan 0.146 both using
>>
>> news.newshosting.com port 563 using a secure SLL connection.
>>
>> Connection limit set to 4 on both.
>>
>> Until recently I was able to receive on Agent "New eBooks Packs"
>> postings by "psychopath" It was only when others made comments about
>> the later ones that I realised I wasn't receiving them any more.
>>
>> As far as I was aware I hadn't made any changes to my Agent settings.
>>
>> As I'd been caught by filters before I disabled all the
>> filters by deleting the filters folder. Made no difference.
>>
>> As an experiment I set up Pan, using the same news server with, I
>> think, exactly the same settings and the new ebook packs were there
>> plus others postins missing on Agent.
>>
>> I've been receiving them on Agent without problem previously, so it
>> must be a change I've inadvertently made.
>>
>> Any thoughts appreciated.
>

>I just checked alt.binaries.e-book here in both Agent 8 and Pan 0.149.
>Both newsreaders showed the same most recent post by psychopath.
>That post was at 2022-10-13 05:19 GMT (or the corresponding local time
>in one's own time zone).

Thanks for the reply Ralph.

I didn't mention it but I'm running Agent on LInux Mint 20.3 using
wine.

Agreed (pack 41) but as I said I only receive them on Pan.

>The normal way to disable Usenet filters in Agent 8.00 is to go to
>"Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Filters"
>and put a check-mark in "Disable filtering for all folders".
>I do not know what was meant by "deleting the filters folder", so
>I do not know whether that would have the right effect.

Which I did. As I said I've missed messages before due to filters and
that was my first thought. It made no difference.

"I do not know what was meant by "deleting the filters folder""

I came out of Agent. Went into the Agent folder and deleted
"filters.dat and filters.idx" Then restart Agent and under
Tools > usenet filters there were no filters shown.

As I said was receiving them and without, AFAIK making any changes to
the settings stopped receiving them. Obviously something I unknowingly
did.

It's no great hardship I just double check with Pan now but it would
be good to know what I done.

--
Pete

Re: Problems with newsgroup alt.binaries.e-book

<c713lhddjfo4o96p977t9eh4jc9etft042@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4452&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4452

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 06:35:40 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 17:35 UTC

On Thu, 20 Oct 2022 09:59:56 +0100, pete@never.here wrote:

> It's no great hardship I just double check with Pan now but it would
> be good to know what I done.

Check your Agent settings for cross-post filtering.
Cross-post filtering is separate to ordinary filtering.
Cross-post filtering can continue when ordinary filtering is disabled.

A) Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Crossposting

B) (select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Crossposting

C) Folder >> Property Schemes >> (select scheme) >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Crossposting

--
Kind regards
Ralph

ζητεῖτε καὶ εὑρήσετε

Re: Problems with newsgroup alt.binaries.e-book

<cmm5lhpbe21f6r4mojvhj64uj39r7m7ru2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4453&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4453

From: pete@never.here
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 18:53:46 +0100
 by: pete@never.here - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 17:53 UTC

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 06:35:40 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Oct 2022 09:59:56 +0100, pete@never.here wrote:
>
>> It's no great hardship I just double check with Pan now but it would
>> be good to know what I done.
>

>Check your Agent settings for cross-post filtering.
>Cross-post filtering is separate to ordinary filtering.
>Cross-post filtering can continue when ordinary filtering is disabled.
>
> A) Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Crossposting
>
> B) (select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Crossposting
>
> C) Folder >> Property Schemes >> (select scheme) >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Crossposting

Thanks for the suggestion Ralph,

I tried first with the setting enabled and then with it disabled -
made no difference, sadly.

The I removed and reinstalled Agent and "lo and behold" I'm now
receiving all postings including new ebook packs.

Now all I need to do is try to find out where the settings differ
between the two <g>

--
Pete