"Love may fail, but courtesy will previal." -- A Kurt Vonnegut fan

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Trying to learn how to import NZB files

SubjectAuthor
* Trying to learn how to import NZB filesThe Horny Goat
`* Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB filesRalph Fox
 `* Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB filesThe Horny Goat
  `* Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB filesRalph Fox
   `* Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB filesThe Horny Goat
    +* Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB filesChris
    |`* Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB filesThe Horny Goat
    | `- Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB filesPaul S Person
    `* Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB filesshawn
     `* Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB filesJoerg Walther
      `- Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB filesshawn

1
Trying to learn how to import NZB files

<58cvjhtvoqavic1hdhpr0kjttcrtv4psmq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4437&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4437

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Trying to learn how to import NZB files
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 21:56:54 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 04:56 UTC

I am using Forte 8 (have done for years) and have learned about NZB
files. My setup says these are being saved to INBOX[2] and while I do
know how to change that I don't see that folder and am trying to find
out how to make that visible.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

(Posted my first Usenet message in April 1994, paid user of Agent
since 1.91)

Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB files

<t5lvjhp5hof6bijhrnhs5vcuq81he5d860@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4438&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4438

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB files
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 20:55:16 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 07:55 UTC

On Thu, 06 Oct 2022 21:56:54 -0700, The Horny Goat wrote:

> I am using Forte 8 (have done for years) and have learned about NZB
> files. My setup says these are being saved to INBOX[2] and while I do
> know how to change that I don't see that folder and am trying to find
> out how to make that visible.
>
> Any help would be extremely appreciated.

"INBOX[2]" will be in the "All Folders" desk, even if it is not anywhere
else.

To find it, do this:

1. Select the Folders pane.

2. Use the menu, Edit >> Find

3. In the search box, enter the name of the folder.
E.g., INBOX[2]

4. Press the button "Find First".

If you don't find it this way, it may be because the folder name
is really "INBOX [2]" with a space between the "INBOX" and the "[2]".
Try again, this time searching for "INBOX [2]" with a space after
the "INBOX" part.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

“𝐴𝑢𝑡 𝑣𝑖𝑎𝑚 𝑖𝑛𝑣𝑒𝑛𝑖𝑎𝑚 𝑎𝑢𝑡 𝑓𝑎𝑐𝑖𝑎𝑚” -- 𝗚𝗲𝗻. 𝗛𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗶𝗯𝗮𝗹 𝗕𝗮𝗿𝗰𝗮

Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB files

<lnv8lh1ejm08u4c2519ffmh54d1brqslm9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4456&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4456

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 16:40:53 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 23:40 UTC

On Fri, 07 Oct 2022 20:55:16 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Oct 2022 21:56:54 -0700, The Horny Goat wrote:
>
>> I am using Forte 8 (have done for years) and have learned about NZB
>> files. My setup says these are being saved to INBOX[2] and while I do
>> know how to change that I don't see that folder and am trying to find
>> out how to make that visible.
>>
>> Any help would be extremely appreciated.
>

>"INBOX[2]" will be in the "All Folders" desk, even if it is not anywhere
>else.
>
>To find it, do this:
>
> 1. Select the Folders pane.
>
> 2. Use the menu, Edit >> Find
>
> 3. In the search box, enter the name of the folder.
> E.g., INBOX[2]
>
> 4. Press the button "Find First".
>
>If you don't find it this way, it may be because the folder name
>is really "INBOX [2]" with a space between the "INBOX" and the "[2]".
>Try again, this time searching for "INBOX [2]" with a space after
>the "INBOX" part.

I had found the Folders / Edit / Find before I asked here but having
expanded everything its STILL not showing either INBOX or INBOX[2].

I vaguely remember a check box to suppress showing inbox but have gone
through that long menu (which I thought was in the Folders window) but
don't see any such check box.

Is my memory deficient or am missing something?

Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB files

<vrh9lhtnefg3tr9v73dff0kh5tdgvgblqn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4457&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4457

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:19:13 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 05:19 UTC

On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 16:40:53 -0700, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2022 20:55:16 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 06 Oct 2022 21:56:54 -0700, The Horny Goat wrote:
>>
>>> I am using Forte 8 (have done for years) and have learned about NZB
>>> files. My setup says these are being saved to INBOX[2] and while I do
>>> know how to change that I don't see that folder and am trying to find
>>> out how to make that visible.
>>>
>>> Any help would be extremely appreciated.
>>

>> "INBOX[2]" will be in the "All Folders" desk, even if it is not anywhere
>> else.

To repeat. It will be in the "All Folders" desk even if nowhere else.

>> To find it, do this:
>>
>> 1. Select the Folders pane.
>>
>> 2. Use the menu, Edit >> Find
>>
>> 3. In the search box, enter the name of the folder.
>> E.g., INBOX[2]
>>
>> 4. Press the button "Find First".
>>
>> If you don't find it this way, it may be because the folder name
>> is really "INBOX [2]" with a space between the "INBOX" and the "[2]".
>> Try again, this time searching for "INBOX [2]" with a space after
>> the "INBOX" part.
>
> I had found the Folders / Edit / Find before I asked here but having
> expanded everything its STILL not showing either INBOX or INBOX[2].

When you found Edit >> Find, did you also use it to search for
"INBOX [2]" with a space between "INBOX" and "[2]"?
It is more likely that the folder is named "INBOX [2]" with a space
between "INBOX" and "[2]". That is what Agent does with duplicated
folder names.

Did you see or not see the "All Folders" desk? When you expanded
"everything", if you did not see the "All Folders" desk then you
cannot have expanded the "All Folders" desk.

> I vaguely remember a check box to suppress showing inbox but have gone
> through that long menu (which I thought was in the Folders window) but
> don't see any such check box.

Only this:
1) Using "Folder >> Assign Folder to Desks", the Inbox can be
removed from all desks except the "All Folders" desk.
2) And using the "View" menu, the "All Folders" desk can be hidden.
So you won't see folders which are only in the "All Folders" desk.

> Is my memory deficient or am missing something?

I suggest you do these:

1) Make sure the "All Folders" desk is not hidden.
Use the "View" menu to do this.
2) Search for "INBOX [2]" with a space between "INBOX" and "[2]".

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB files

<nmcjdi5oo702oppo7ukurvqekf90rgjll8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5154&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5154

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 21:55:50 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 04:55 UTC

On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:19:13 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>To repeat. It will be in the "All Folders" desk even if nowhere else.

Got it - and all your other advise (and have saved the message for
future reference).

I'm hoping to go back to my original settings but have had cataract
surgery which is supposed to improve my eyesight once I get through
the second surgery.

Mostly I've been reading messages since the first surgery without my
glasses which is why I was asking how to change the font size.

So far so good but can't wait to have it behind me by this time next
week. I'm a bit older than whenI started with Usenet (30 years next
year) so it's both exciting but scary.

Again many many thanks for your help!

Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB files

<m7jkdi1o3u2vu0a83jlsc8k9jmpuboe9ui@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5155&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5155

From: Chris@invalidated.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:53:33 -0500
 by: Chris@invalidated.com - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 15:53 UTC

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 21:55:50 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:19:13 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>To repeat. It will be in the "All Folders" desk even if nowhere else.
>
>Got it - and all your other advise (and have saved the message for
>future reference).
>
>I'm hoping to go back to my original settings but have had cataract
>surgery which is supposed to improve my eyesight once I get through
>the second surgery.
>
>Mostly I've been reading messages since the first surgery without my
>glasses which is why I was asking how to change the font size.
>
>So far so good but can't wait to have it behind me by this time next
>week. I'm a bit older than whenI started with Usenet (30 years next
>year) so it's both exciting but scary.
>
>Again many many thanks for your help!

I'm a few months away from being 89 years old. I had cataract surgery
a year ago. It's amazing how well it worked. I don't need glasses
for near or far vision, plus I can now pass my dirver's exam eye test,
which I couldn't do before.

Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB files

<62f8eihap558seghffsb7ftm2jeairak1v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5176&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5176

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 21:44:16 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 04:44 UTC

On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:53:33 -0500, Chris@invalidated.com wrote:

>I'm a few months away from being 89 years old. I had cataract surgery
>a year ago. It's amazing how well it worked. I don't need glasses
>for near or far vision, plus I can now pass my dirver's exam eye test,
>which I couldn't do before.

I was supposed to have had the second eye done last Friday but the doc
postponed it till October as he said the first hadn't healed as
quickly as expected and didn't want to do #2 until it did.

Right now the two eyes are at different "brightnesses" and I mostly
read (books and monitor) with my glasses at closer than normal ranges.

Never had a problem getting or keeping my drivers' licence since I got
it nearly 50 years ago.

It's been good though a bit odd (for the above reasons) though I'd
have gone crazy had I had to go to work everyday as I was doing up
until about 15 months ago.

Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB files

<vff9ei1vonvhec9os9306ki4u80v15akmu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5180&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5180

From: nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:58:26 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:58 UTC

wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:19:13 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>To repeat. It will be in the "All Folders" desk even if nowhere else.
>
>Got it - and all your other advise (and have saved the message for
>future reference).
>
>I'm hoping to go back to my original settings but have had cataract
>surgery which is supposed to improve my eyesight once I get through
>the second surgery.

Good luck with it.

>Mostly I've been reading messages since the first surgery without my
>glasses which is why I was asking how to change the font size.
>
>So far so good but can't wait to have it behind me by this time next
>week. I'm a bit older than whenI started with Usenet (30 years next
>year) so it's both exciting but scary.

You aren't the only one. I remember seeing Usenet back in around 1982
and was using Bitnet back in 1986-87 but didn't officially get on
Usenet until 1988. That was when I got a shell account on JDYX, a
local BBS in that Atlanta area that provided dial up access. Then went
to Netcom a few years later and then on to Easynews.

>Again many many thanks for your help!

Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB files

<17m9eitmim9lcaa6iclop30pkvju70npsa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5181&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5181

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 08:51:41 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 15:51 UTC

On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 21:44:16 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:53:33 -0500, Chris@invalidated.com wrote:
>
>>I'm a few months away from being 89 years old. I had cataract surgery
>>a year ago. It's amazing how well it worked. I don't need glasses
>>for near or far vision, plus I can now pass my dirver's exam eye test,
>>which I couldn't do before.
>
>I was supposed to have had the second eye done last Friday but the doc
>postponed it till October as he said the first hadn't healed as
>quickly as expected and didn't want to do #2 until it did.
>
>Right now the two eyes are at different "brightnesses" and I mostly
>read (books and monitor) with my glasses at closer than normal ranges.
>
>Never had a problem getting or keeping my drivers' licence since I got
>it nearly 50 years ago.
>
>It's been good though a bit odd (for the above reasons) though I'd
>have gone crazy had I had to go to work everyday as I was doing up
>until about 15 months ago.

The first thing I noticed after the first cataract surgery was how
much brighter the colors were. A friend of mine had a grandma who
found, after hers, that the nice subdued off-white she had picked when
her house was last painted was, in fact, a very bright white.

My conclusion: there is a /reason/ why older folk tend to see the
world as a darker place than it was when they were younger: it is.
Literally.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB files

<hqp9ei9f2ps8a4nn8m61679qasuchqirna@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5184&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5184

From: joerg.walther@gmail.com (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 18:51:23 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 16:51 UTC

shawn wrote:

>That was when I got a shell account on JDYX, a
>local BBS in that Atlanta area that provided dial up access. Then went
>to Netcom a few years later and then on to Easynews.

It's been a while since I saw this name, shawn, back in the good old
days of easynews.support. I guess you no longer work for the company?

-jw-

Re: Trying to learn how to import NZB files

<9vv9ei9nhghda0acgk61eh7fg49a9k2rcl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5185&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5185

From: nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 14:35:53 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 18:35 UTC

On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 18:51:23 +0200, Joerg Walther
<joerg.walther@gmail.com> wrote:

>shawn wrote:
>
>>That was when I got a shell account on JDYX, a
>>local BBS in that Atlanta area that provided dial up access. Then went
>>to Netcom a few years later and then on to Easynews.
>
>It's been a while since I saw this name, shawn, back in the good old
>days of easynews.support. I guess you no longer work for the company?
>
>-jw-

Sorry, I never worked for Easynews. Just a customer of theirs.