19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

SubjectAuthor
* {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Yrrah
+* Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Marco Moock
|`* Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Bit Twister
| `* Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Mark Bourne
|  `- Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Nic
+- Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Monsieur
+- Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Big Al
`* Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Mike Easter
 +* Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Mike Easter
 |+* Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Big Al
 ||`- Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Mike Easter
 |`* Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"greybeard
 | `- Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Mike Easter
 `* Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Yrrah
  `- Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"Mike Easter

1
{OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<l9a2eh90brae2i7fe2forimnavmrhv8l3d@net.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4335&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4335

From: Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"
Sender: Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:08:59 +0200
 by: Yrrah - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:08 UTC

inxi -W ny (or any other location) stopped working and now shows (instead of the
local weather conditions):

Weather:
Message: Error: Your access to this resource has been blocked. Automated
requests or excessive use are not permitted. This is clearly stated in both
the help menu and man page. If you want a CLI weather tool for routine
use, try wttr.in, or use a weather widget. Remember, you never had a
"right" to this feature, it was just a little easter egg, mostly for sys
admins, which has instead been consistently abused. If you want to know
your local weather, look out your window, there it is.

It's not all that important and I know there are CLI alternatives, but the
sudden change intrigues me. No idea what really caused it. Certainly not
"automated requests or excessive use" by me.

Yrrah

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<20220727142552.3d718935@8200cmt>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4336&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4336

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:25:52 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:25 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:08:59 +0200
Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid> wrote:

> It's not all that important and I know there are CLI alternatives,
> but the sudden change intrigues me. No idea what really caused it.
> Certainly not "automated requests or excessive use" by me.

I also get this error and haven't used it ever.
I assume it is an error at the server side, not on your side.
Maybe the operator completely discontinued the service.

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<slrnte2dih.23pj0.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4337&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4337

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 07:57:53 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:57 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:25:52 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:08:59 +0200
> Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid> wrote:
>
>> It's not all that important and I know there are CLI alternatives,
>> but the sudden change intrigues me. No idea what really caused it.
>> Certainly not "automated requests or excessive use" by me.
>
> I also get this error and haven't used it ever.
> I assume it is an error at the server side, not on your side.
> Maybe the operator completely discontinued the service.

my guess server checked your zip code I am in Texas.

$ inxi -W ny
Weather:
Message: Error: request-failure~204

[bittwister@wb ~]$ inxi -W tx
Weather:
Report: temperature: 33.2 C (92 F) conditions: Clear sky
Locale: current time: Wed 27 Jul 2022 02:54:15 PM CEST
Source: WeatherBit.io

[bittwister@wb ~]$ inxi -W ri

[bittwister@wb ~]$ inxi -W nh
Weather:
Message: Error: request-failure~204
[bittwister@wb ~]$

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<tbre6n$pj9f$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4338&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4338

From: Monsieur@notreal.invalid (Monsieur)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:22:30 +0200
 by: Monsieur - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 13:22 UTC

Yrrah wrote:
> inxi -W ny (or any other location) stopped working and now shows (instead of the
> local weather conditions):
>
> Weather:
> Message: Error: Your access to this resource has been blocked. Automated
> requests or excessive use are not permitted. This is clearly stated in both
> the help menu and man page. If you want a CLI weather tool for routine
> use, try wttr.in, or use a weather widget. Remember, you never had a
> "right" to this feature, it was just a little easter egg, mostly for sys
> admins, which has instead been consistently abused. If you want to know
> your local weather, look out your window, there it is.
>
> It's not all that important and I know there are CLI alternatives, but the
> sudden change intrigues me. No idea what really caused it. Certainly not
> "automated requests or excessive use" by me.

I tried it four or five times with different parameters and I got the
message "Error: You have exceeded maximum permitted use of this
resource." Guess you can only have one weather report per day...

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<tbrh0b$2hi0m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4339&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4339

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:10:17 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:10 UTC

On 7/27/22 08:08, this is what Yrrah wrote:
> inxi -W ny (or any other location) stopped working and now shows (instead of the
> local weather conditions):
>
> Weather:
> Message: Error: Your access to this resource has been blocked. Automated
> requests or excessive use are not permitted. This is clearly stated in both
> the help menu and man page. If you want a CLI weather tool for routine
> use, try wttr.in, or use a weather widget. Remember, you never had a
> "right" to this feature, it was just a little easter egg, mostly for sys
> admins, which has instead been consistently abused. If you want to know
> your local weather, look out your window, there it is.
>
> It's not all that important and I know there are CLI alternatives, but the
> sudden change intrigues me. No idea what really caused it. Certainly not
> "automated requests or excessive use" by me.
>
> Yrrah

inxi -W 4347778
Weather: Temperature: 15.9 C (61 F) Conditions: Moderate rain Current Time: Wed 27 Jul 2022 09:05:34 AM CDT
Source: WeatherBit.io

Weatherbit.io has downloadable csv files for major cities.
https://www.weatherbit.io/api/meta

Now I'm not saying this works good, I'm in Baltimore, I used the 4347778 code for Baltimore as shown by weatherbit.io
but the temp they return is 61 F and it's really 80 F by OpenWeather and my outdoor gauge.

Al

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<jkd2c2Fu2qgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4340&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4340

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:02:25 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:02 UTC

Yrrah wrote:
> inxi -W ny (or any other location) stopped working

inxi options allow you to change your weather source; personally I use
wttr.in 'directly' because it allows me to input my postal zip; because
in my geo area the weather varies greatly over a very short distance
from the desert or 'mountains' to the sea. I don't know the exact
syntax for inxi to use its alternates 1-4.

$ curl wttr.in/myzip?1

(myzip = my zip 5)

I use the ?1 so I will only get one day instead of 3.

https://github.com/chubin/wttr.in

--
Mike Easter

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<jkd39kFu7csU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4341&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4341

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:18:11 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:18 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Yrrah wrote:
>> inxi -W ny (or any other location) stopped working
>
> inxi options allow you to change your weather source; personally I use
> wttr.in 'directly' because it allows me to input my postal zip; because
> in my geo area the weather varies greatly over a very short distance
> from the desert or 'mountains' to the sea.  I don't know the exact
> syntax for inxi to use its alternates 1-4.

Default inxi uses weatherbit.io which is currently working ok for me and
seems to accept my zip, 'tho it doesn't echo it.

Its 'default' determination of my location, presumably by IP, is very
far off; absolutely no good for weather. That is 'generally' the result
of websites which try to determine my location.

--
Mike Easter

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<tbrorj$2ieti$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4342&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4342

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:24:19 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 16:24 UTC

On 7/27/22 11:18, this is what Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Yrrah wrote:
>>> inxi -W ny (or any other location) stopped working
>>
>> inxi options allow you to change your weather source; personally I use wttr.in 'directly' because it allows me to
>> input my postal zip; because in my geo area the weather varies greatly over a very short distance from the desert or
>> 'mountains' to the sea.  I don't know the exact syntax for inxi to use its alternates 1-4.
>>
> Default inxi uses weatherbit.io which is currently working ok for me and seems to accept my zip, 'tho it doesn't echo it.
>
> Its 'default' determination of my location, presumably by IP, is very far off; absolutely no good for weather.  That is
> 'generally' the result of websites which try to determine my location.

I use the Weather (weather@mockturtl) applet and I have the exact geo location set. Works great.

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<jkd7srFephU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4343&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4343

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:36:42 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 16:36 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> I use the Weather (weather@mockturtl) applet and I have the exact geo
> location set.  Works great.

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/17

Very configurable; location, weather source.

Interesting discussions at the site.

Cinn adaptation of this
https://github.com/simon04/gnome-shell-extension-weather

--
Mike Easter

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<rsu2ehh79e3n2cgd71nsdncu1dgjl12eua@net.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4344&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4344

From: Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Sender: Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:27:48 +0200
 by: Yrrah - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:27 UTC

Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid>:

> $ curl wttr.in/myzip?1
>
> (myzip = my zip 5)
>
> I use the ?1 so I will only get one day instead of 3.
>
> https://github.com/chubin/wttr.in

I switched to ansiweather:

https://github.com/fcambus/ansiweather

Data come from OpenWeatherMap, the same source as used by the Cinnamon weather
applet.

Yrrah

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<jkdgqdF1q0cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4345&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4345

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:09:01 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:09 UTC

Yrrah wrote:
> I switched to ansiweather:
>
> https://github.com/fcambus/ansiweather
>
> Data come from OpenWeatherMap, the same source as used by the Cinnamon weather
> applet.

ansiweather will take my zip if I add my country us; but I like wttr.in
appearance/ display better.

--
Mike Easter

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<tbs6gd$bds$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4346&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4346

From: nntp.mbourne@spamgourmet.com (Mark Bourne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:17:17 +0100
 by: Mark Bourne - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:17 UTC

Bit Twister wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:25:52 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:08:59 +0200
>> Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> It's not all that important and I know there are CLI alternatives,
>>> but the sudden change intrigues me. No idea what really caused it.
>>> Certainly not "automated requests or excessive use" by me.
>>
>> I also get this error and haven't used it ever.
>> I assume it is an error at the server side, not on your side.
>> Maybe the operator completely discontinued the service.
>
> my guess server checked your zip code I am in Texas.
>
> $ inxi -W ny
> Weather:
> Message: Error: request-failure~204
>
> [bittwister@wb ~]$ inxi -W tx
> Weather:
> Report: temperature: 33.2 C (92 F) conditions: Clear sky
> Locale: current time: Wed 27 Jul 2022 02:54:15 PM CEST
> Source: WeatherBit.io
>
> [bittwister@wb ~]$ inxi -W ri
> Weather:
> Message: Error: request-failure~204
>
> [bittwister@wb ~]$ inxi -W nh
> Weather:
> Message: Error: request-failure~204
> [bittwister@wb ~]$

I'm not sure it has anything to do with where you're querying from. I'm
in the UK and get the same - weather report for "tx" and "Message:
Error: request-failure~204" for the others, and also for "uk" and "gb".
I think you just happen to be lucky to be somewhere that doesn't return
an error!

Having seen in the man page that it "maybe" supports UK postcodes
(equivalent of US zip codes), I tried that which gave reasonable
results. But "london", "england" and "united+kingdom" consistently
return "Message: Error: You have exceeded maximum permitted use of this
resource." Immediately trying "tx" and my postcode again still give
results, so the message doesn't actually seem to be related to the
number of queries I'm making.

I've never used this before, so don't really know how it's supposed to
work and just reporting what happens from here. I should probably stop
now before I really do get blocked from something ;o)

--
Mark.

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<oehEK.521429$ssF.361621@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4347&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4347

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 16:29:07 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:29 UTC

On 7/27/22 4:17 PM, Mark Bourne wrote:
> Bit Twister wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:25:52 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:

>>> I also get this error and haven't used it ever.
>>> I assume it is an error at the server side, not on your side.
>>> Maybe the operator completely discontinued the service.
>>
>> my guess server checked your zip code I am in Texas.
>>
>> $ inxi -W ny
>> Weather:
>>    Message: Error: request-failure~204
>>
>> [bittwister@wb ~]$ inxi -W tx
>> Weather:
>>    Report: temperature: 33.2 C (92 F) conditions: Clear sky
>>    Locale: current time: Wed 27 Jul 2022 02:54:15 PM CEST
>>    Source: WeatherBit.io
>>
>> [bittwister@wb ~]$ inxi -W ri
>> Weather:
>>    Message: Error: request-failure~204
>>
>> [bittwister@wb ~]$ inxi -W nh
>> Weather:
>>    Message: Error: request-failure~204
>> [bittwister@wb ~]$
>
> I'm not sure it has anything to do with where you're querying from.
> I'm in the UK and get the same - weather report for "tx" and "Message:
> Error: request-failure~204" for the others, and also for "uk" and
> "gb". I think you just happen to be lucky to be somewhere that doesn't
> return an error!
>
> Having seen in the man page that it "maybe" supports UK postcodes
> (equivalent of US zip codes), I tried that which gave reasonable
> results.  But "london", "england" and "united+kingdom" consistently
> return "Message: Error: You have exceeded maximum permitted use of
> this resource."  Immediately trying "tx" and my postcode again still
> give results, so the message doesn't actually seem to be related to
> the number of queries I'm making.
>
> I've never used this before, so don't really know how it's supposed to
> work and just reporting what happens from here.  I should probably
> stop now before I really do get blocked from something ;o)

Are you suggesting that Usenet is manipulated, much like Google which
has an agenda based search results?

Do you think that predicting the weather has progressed, it was a mere
100 years ago that predicting the weather was divined by the entrails of
some animal, or a caterpillar on some leaf.

It is raining at the moment, and the prediction was sunny.

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<tccd15$1q60a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4420&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4420

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (greybeard)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 11:46:43 +1200
 by: greybeard - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 23:46 UTC

On 28/07/22 03:18, Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Yrrah wrote:
>>> inxi -W ny (or any other location) stopped working
>>
>> inxi options allow you to change your weather source; personally I use
>> wttr.in 'directly' because it allows me to input my postal zip;
>> because in my geo area the weather varies greatly over a very short
>> distance from the desert or 'mountains' to the sea.  I don't know the
>> exact syntax for inxi to use its alternates 1-4.
>>
> Default inxi uses weatherbit.io which is currently working ok for me and
> seems to accept my zip, 'tho it doesn't echo it.
>
> Its 'default' determination of my location, presumably by IP, is very
> far off; absolutely no good for weather.  That is 'generally' the result
> of websites which try to determine my location.

Hmmm lower case 'w" works for me..
Uppercase --error

inxi -w
Weather: Temperature: 19.4 C (67 F) Conditions: Clear sky Current
Time: Wed 03 Aug 2022 11:43:25 (Pacific/Auckland)
Source: WeatherBit.io

Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"

<jktt8oFkq2oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4421&group=alt.os.linux.mint#4421

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 17:19:35 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 00:19 UTC

greybeard wrote:
> Hmmm lower case 'w" works for me..
> Uppercase --error
>
> inxi -w

-w gives you a report based on what inxi's function tells weatherbit.io
is your IP. (while keeping that IP analysis silent)

When you use -W, there is no such 'automatic analysis' of your location
by IP; so you must feed the inxi -W command some more info, such as
yrraH reported had stopped working properly.

> -w, --weather Local weather data/time. To check an alternate location, see
> -W. NO AUTOMATED QUERIES ALLOWED!
> -W, --weather-location
> [location] Supported options for [location]: postal
> code[,country/country code]; city, state (USA)/country
> (country/two character country code); latitude, longitude.
> Only use if you want the weather somewhere other than the
> machine running inxi. Use only ASCII characters, replace
> spaces in city/state/country names with '+'.
> Example: inxi -W [new+york,ny london,gb madrid,es]

My current testing shows that if I give inxi -W my postal zip + my
country code (syntax as above), I get a report; again no echo of the
location I fed it.

--
Mike Easter

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: {OT} Weird inxi "problem"