From: digest-replies@telecomdigest.net (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: CWA Call Center Workers Protest Illegal Layoffs [telecom]
Date: 3 Jun 2023 11:53:43 -0400
Sender: alias@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 15:53 UTC

June 1, 2023

Workers who are organizing with CWA at Maximus traveled to Washington,
D.C., last week to urge Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier
Beccera to investigate labor practices at Maximus, protect workers from
unfair and unnecessary layoffs, and raise wages for contracted workers
to $25 per hour. Maximus, the federal government’s largest call center
contractor, provides services to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid
Services and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

At the rally, workers described poor working conditions, including low
pay, unaffordable health care benefits, and few paths to promotion,
especially for Black and Latinx women. Daija Arrington, a Maximus CDC
call center worker, said that despite an excellent performance record,
she was laid off just before Mother’s Day. “I believe the real reason I
was laid off was in retaliation for speaking out about Maximus’s working
conditions, and to scare my coworkers from supporting a union. But we
have a right to speak out and tell the truth, and to organize to improve
our working conditions. That’s why we’re calling on HHS to hold Maximus
accountable for mistreating workers, help us keep our jobs, and make
sure we’re paid the fair wages we deserve.”

https://cwa-union.org/news/cwa-call-center-workers-protest-illegal-layoffs