From: man@privacy.net (Dan Musicant)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: How do I get Help for Agent 1.932?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 11:25:19 -0700
 by: Dan Musicant - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 18:25 UTC

I am having problems creating working email filters. The Help menu item
doesn't provide anything. Only:

Error opening Help in Windows-based programs: "Feature not included" or
"Help not supported

How can I get some clues, preferably specific info about my version of
Agent, at least how to create email filters?

I used to do things like this:

{character string} and everything containing that character string
would be directed into the specified folder. But I just did this and
EVERYTHING was being redirected! Don't know what's going on. Anyway, I
figure somewhere, somehow I can find out the rules for Agent 1.932 email
filters. Thanks for help.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net

Re: How do I get Help for Agent 1.932?

<c9j4hht3fah0phdqirtrhrnjtpirm1pmvl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4387&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4387

From: arthur@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: How do I get Help for Agent 1.932?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 14:43:35 -0400
 by: Arthur T. - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 18:43 UTC

In Message-ID:<ibi4hhplr58h2r7ooi71umhfe4kmsg7hup@4ax.com>,
Dan Musicant <man@privacy.net> wrote:

>I am having problems creating working email filters. The Help menu item
>doesn't provide anything. Only:
>
>Error opening Help in Windows-based programs: "Feature not included" or
>"Help not supported

Newer Windows systems don't support the .hlp format Agent uses. You
can download a version that does support it. Having one installed
that does both, and works automatically, is... complex. But, you can
put the .hlp-compatible one somewhere in your path and then execute:
winhlp32 agent.hlp
after navigating to the directory with Agent's help file in it.

This says it's for Windows 8, but I expect it's the same version as
works in Win10. I forget the site I got mine from:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35449

Notice that above is from an actual Microsoft site and it's an actual
Microsoft program. Even they, occasionally (and after much howling),
recognize that downward compatibility must sometimes be maintained,
even if they do make it difficult.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: How do I get Help for Agent 1.932?

<tetk3e$oa5e$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4388&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4388

From: phoenix@gmall.invalid (Phoenix)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 19:04:14 +0000
 by: Phoenix - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 19:04 UTC

From: harry@invalidated.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Agent Word Filters - From Jim Bradley Pages
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 11:31:13 -0600

Agent Word Filters

Note: changes to reflect the release of Agent 1.9 have not yet been
made.

The following is a list of Agent 'classic' filters: they are (word)
oriented, no {regular expression} syntax. They are meant to give
ideas, NOT to be adopted as a working set. For this material to make
sense, you must be familiar with the basic information in the help
file.

Generally, (word) filters are quicker to create, faster to run and
easier
to understand. If you absolutely have to filter on things that (word)
filters can't handle [punctuation or sub-strings, for example], see
the
extensive list of {regular expression} filter examples and related
advice/tips given in
Agent {regular expression} filters mini-FAQ

To point out an error, suggest an editorial correction, or submit a
new
filter [or expression] for inclusion, post to
or use the guest book on my home page.

Changes in V1.02:
V1.02.01 Added new 'money' filter term
Changes in V1.01:
V1.01.01 Added some From: notes and examples

Watch out for side effects when adapting these filters for your use.
The 'money' filters, for example, may not be useful in groups where
subjects containing numbers in other contexts normally occur, and the
'spam word' filters may need to be used judiciously or overridden in
certain groups [to avoid hitting more messages than intended].

The overall priorities I have in mind when setting up multiple filters
on similar subjects/authors so that they will interact correctly is as
follows:
1000 watch global specific posters [such as yourself]
900 kill global kill certain spammers even if they use 'allowed'
words
800 watch local allow certain spam words in specific groups
700 kill global spam words/posters
600 watch local specific watches [usually size or author]
500 watch local generic watches [usually subject]
400 kill local kills [usally size or author]; use <I>gnore for
threads
300 watch local 'default' processing
200 kill local 'left-over' processing
The functions assigned to the priorities are mine [not a requirement
of Agent]. In theory, all filters could have the same priority, but
that arrangement is scarcely practical [because filters of the same
priority are applied in a sequence which can neither be controlled by
the user nor predicted from the order in which they are listed in the
Usenet filters window]. A sort of middle ground [Agent's defaults of
watch=600 and kill=400] works well for users with few filters, none of
which are 'overlapping' or 'conflicting'.

Kill filters may be "skip" or "mark read"
until you are sure that the filter[s] are doing what you want, you
may prefer the latter
Watch filters may be "retrieve" "mark for retrieval" or "watch thread"
the last [in conjunction with the View feature] will highlight all
messages in threads to which you have contributed.

FWIW I follow this pattern for setting expirations:
watch filters
generally, no expiration
kill filters
Subject:
no expiration
From: 'constant' names of 'real' individuals
no expiration
From: 'pattern' names of frequent pests
no expiration
From: 'hit-and-run' accounts
10 days from last activity

Watch your own posts
» 1000 watch from: your.name@here.com
» 1000 watch from: (your.name@here.com or your.nym@elsewhere.com)
Note: using action "watch thread" will highlight posts in threads to
which you have contributed.
Also: by selecting an appropriate View you can see all messages in
those threads and nothing else.

Get rid of all posts by an annoying author
» 900 kill from: porno@star.org
+ +++ Added in V1.01
+ Note: the entire From field is tested by the filter, not just the
+ part selected to display in the message list pane
+ Also: if there is more than one header of a given type in a message
+ [rare with From, common with others] the filter will apply to all of
+ them as if they had been concatenated
+ + Get rid of posts by an annoying author without affecting posts by
+ authors with similar names
+ » 900 kill from: =pls.see.addr@my.sig
+ Hits that address without affecting
+ pls.see.addr@my.sig (name)
+ or
+ "handle" <pls.see.addr@my.sig>
+ Note: since punctuation is ignored in (word) filters
+ (pls) see addr @ my-sig
+ would also be hit.
+ » 900 kill from: pls.see.addr@my.sig (name)
+ Hits that address without affecting
+ pls.see.addr@my.sig
+ or
+ "handle" <pls.see.addr@my.sig>
+ Note: since punctuation is ignored in (word) filters
+ "pls" see 'addr' - my-sig [name]
+ would also be hit.
+ +++

Allow certain keywords in some [or all] groups
» 800 watch subject: ( free agent | freeagent )
» 800 watch subject: ( freed* | freew* | freez* | ... )
» 800 watch subject: ( cashew* | cashier* | cashmere* | ... )
To override
subject: free*
subject: cash*
kill filters farther down in the priority list given here.

Allow certain posters
» 800 watch from: my.friend@earthlink.net
» 800 watch from: ( good.guy@earthlink.net or my.friend )
Overrides the spammer 'domain' list, below.

The spammer 'domain' list
» 700 kill from: (earthlink.net or savetrees.com or ...)
» 700 kill from: (earthlink or savetrees or ...)
Only the 'keywords' from the 'domain' are really needed.

Get rid of certain types of "offers"
» 700 kill http | ftp | www | url | 900 | 800 | 888 | 011 ...
Note: since no qualifier is specified in the filter, those items are
found in any filterable header; in usenet filters, that means either
subject: or from:.

Messages of a certain minimum size
» 600 watch [501,*]
Caution: all 'size' parameters assume that the option
[x] Join multipart messages when retrieving headers
is enabled; if it isn't, the size test will be performed separately
on each part, possibly with unintended consequences.
Note: there is an interesting 'gotcha'; when the parts are joined
automagically, the size used to determine whether a [low,*] filter
should apply is arrived at by multiplying the size of the first part
that happens to download by the number of parts stated in the tag.
In some cases that results in quite odd-looking behaviour [especially
when the final part, which is often much smaller than the others, is
encountered first].
Also: on some servers that filter will miss all messages posted with
[Free] Agent [because they all appear to have zero lines regardless of
their actual lengths].

Messages of a certain maximum size
» 600 watch [*,1587]
Note: on some servers that filter will hit all messages posted with
[Free] Agent [because they all appear to have zero lines regardless of
their actual lengths]; in a 'watch' that quirk may be a lesser problem
than it is in a kill.
Also: assuming 'lines' of 63 bytes [the 'standard' for uuencoding]
that filter cuts off at approximately 100kb; for messages posted in
other formats, the upper limit may not work as expected [and must be
adjusted in any case to your desired cutoff point].

Messages of a certain range of sizes
» 600 watch [501,50000]
Neither too small nor too large.

Messages of a certain size
» 600 watch [0,0]
Picks up all [Free] Agent posts on certain servers.

Messages of a certain minimum size
» 600 watch [501,*] & ! from: ( dumb | stupid ) & ! subject ( MMF |
sex* )
But prevents some authors and some subjects from being watched.

Messages of a certain minimum size
» 600 watch [501,*] and subject: (jpg or gif or ...)
But only those indicating the desired file type.

Messages of a certain maximum size
» 600 watch [*,300] and subject: Colorado
But only for a specific subject.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: How do I get Help for Agent 1.932?

<tetk3e$oa5e$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4389&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4389

From: phoenix@gmall.invalid (Phoenix)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 19:04:14 +0000

From: harry@invalidated.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Agent Regular Filters (Advanced) - From JIm Bradley Pages
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 11:17:31 -0600

This is from a Web site long gone. The pages of James Bradley.

Agent Regular Filters

Note: changes to reflect the release of Agent 1.9 have not yet been
made.

Click here for Agent Word Filters

Agent Regular Filters

Note: changes to reflect the release of Agent 1.9 have not yet been
made.

STOP! You may not need this much information!

This page covers [somewhat randomly and in excruciating detail]
'advanced' issues [primarily Agent {regular expression} filters]; for
this to make sense, you must be familiar with basic information in the
help file and the extensive list of (word) filter examples and related
advice/tips given in
Agent 'classic' (word) filters mini-FAQ

Generally, (word) filters are quicker to create, faster to run and
easier
to understand. Unless you absolutely have to filter on things that
(word)
filters can't handle [punctuation or sub-strings, for example] you
should
use (word) syntax if at all possible.

From James Bradley's page from years ago.

Credit where credit is due department: some expressions discussed
here
are copied from [or based on] suggestions by
bhkraft - gj.net
H.Reusch - ieee.org
homebody - mindspring.com
jimrtex - pipeline.com
Keith - Heinsohn.org
p_hantom - NoMail.Thks
phorty2 - super.zippo.com
m.pack - cableinet.co.uk
SirTwist - pobox.com
christof - paefken.westfalen.de
Dr.Peter.Giese - t-online.de

To point out an error, suggest an editorial correction, or submit a
new
filter [or expression] for inclusion, post to
or use the guest book on my home page.

Changes in V1.809:
V1.809.1 Add discussion of the flood/HipCrime situation
Changes in V1.807:
V1.807.1 Add example to hit yet another morph of 'subject ends in
digits'
Changes in V1.806:
V1.806.1 Add example to hit new morph of 'subject ends in
specified characters'
Changes in V1.803:
V1.803.1 Add example to hit new morph of 'subject ends in digits'
Changes in V1.801:
V1.801.1 Add example to hit morphs of CABLE TV DESCRAMBLER
Changes in V1.75:
V1.75.01 Add note about anomaly with the = operator in global
searches
V1.75.02 Add note about anomaly with the = operator in global
searches
Changes in V1.73:
V1.73.01 Add another correction to the help file
V1.73.02 Recognize revision of the help file
Changes in V1.72:
V1.72.01 Add another mention of Nfilter
Changes in V1.60:
V1.60.06 Add example of global search for subject containing
'special' character
V1.60.05 Add another mention of Hamster
V1.60.04 Add usenet filter example for From: starting with a digit
V1.60.03 Add example of filtering subject on complex patterns
V1.60.02 Add examples of global search on Message-Id
V1.60.01 Add usenet filter example for Subject: ending with digits
Changes in V1.16:
V1.16.02 Add example of global search for any attachment
V1.16.01 Add caution on use of global search for Xref:
Changes in V1.11:
V1.11.05 Add examples of filtering subject on complex patterns
V1.11.04 Add examples of filtering subject on complex patterns
V1.11.03 Add examples of filtering subject on complex patterns
V1.11.02 Add example of filtering additional email headers
V1.11.01 Add example of filtering on Message-Id
Changes in V1.09:
V1.09.02 Add example of global search with complex criteria
V1.09.01 Add example of filtering subject containing punctuation
Changes in V1.08:
V1.08.03 Add example of filtering subject by complex criteria
V1.08.02 Add example of filtering subject containing punctuation
V1.08.01 Clarify explanation of one of the errors in the help file
Changes in V1.07:
V1.07.01 Suggest alternative to global search for killing
crossposts
Changes in V1.03:
V1.03.05 Add global search example for string containing <TAB>
V1.03.04 Add usenet filter example for Subject: ending with digits
V1.03.03 Add email filter example for Subject: ending with digits
V1.03.02 Add usenet filter example for Subject: beginning with
CAPS
V1.03.01 Add email filter example for blank/null Subject: and/or
To:
Changes in V1.02:
V1.02.08 Add clarification for null/blank cases
V1.02.07 Restate anti-U?E filter suggestion for convenience
V1.02.06 Add clarifying example to ALL CAPS discussion
V1.02.05 Suggest limited way to deal with pests using vcards
V1.02.04 Clarify global-search-as-filter strategy
V1.02.03 Suggest additional anti-U?E filter
V1.02.02 Add special case for 'newsgroups:' search
V1.02.01 Suggest limited way to deal with watch/kill sub-thread
Changes in V1.01:
V1.01.01 Describe small oddity with {} null expression

Table of contents:
I. What everyone must know before reading on.
II. Agent {regular expression} syntax is not all that regular.
III. Things to ignore in the help file.
IV. Detailed filter examples.
A. email filters
B. usenet From: filters
C. usenet Subject: filters
D. global search expressions

I. What everyone must know before reading on.

This mini-FAQ is intended to be presented in a Fixed Pitch font
[because
{regular expression} filters may be almost unintelligible viewed in a
distinguishes clearly between (parentheses) and {braces}.
Incidentally,
if you do a lot of work with {regular expression} filters in Agent you
you may find it useful to put FP [Fixed Pitch] buttons on your
toolbars.

Issues covered in the other mini-FAQ [filter priority, false
positives,
and many others] are not rehashed below. Watch out! Quite unexpected
false positives are more likely with {regular expression} filters than
with (word) filters, but detailed warnings may not be given for every
case. IMO the 'safe' way to proceed is to avoid using the "Delete"
action until it is _certain_ [to the extent that it may be possible]
that there are no undesirable side-effects.

Note: new filter expressions can be tested for 'reasonableness' using
the global search feature; that may not hit the same messages that the
final filter would [because of priority or scope differences], but it
may save you from installing an expression that is hopelessly flawed.

Also: provided that it is not necessary to match 'punctuation' [which
(word) filters cannot do], some filters given here could be translated
to the 'classic' form and still get [roughly speaking] the same result
[possibly in less time]. Doing that requires considerable familiarity
with the two 'languages', however. Just one example: if you are not
aware of the vast difference between
Bcc: {.*}
and
Bcc: * <- BAD
you should be _very_ careful when modifying these examples to avoid
accidentally using one form where the other is required.

II. Agent {regular expression} syntax is not all that regular.

If you are generally familiar with regular expressions, you need to
know that there are some significant differences between 'standard'
implementations and the Agent version.

A. In Agent, regular expressions must be enclosed in {braces}. They
can stand by themselves
subject: {string}
or be mixed with [or embedded in] Agent 'classic' (word) expressions
subject: word or from: {string}
subject: (word or {string})

B. Unless the % operator [an Agent extension] is in effect, Agent
{regular expression} filters are not case-sensitive and Agent (word)
filters follow rules given in the help file. In these two examples
subject: (%{STRING} or %word)
subject: (%{STRING} or word)
the first will match
STRING,aSTRINGent,STRING$(),...
word,MS-word,word-Perfect,...
but not
string,String,...
WORD,Word,MS-WORD,Word-Perfect,...
while the second will match
STRING,aSTRINGent,STRING$(),...
word,Word,WORD,MS-Word,Word-Perfect,...
Without the % operators they will both match
STRING,String,string,astringent,unstring$(),...
word,Word,WORD,MS-Word,Word-Perfect,...
[of course].
Note: the construction
subject: %({STRING} or word) <- BAD
is not valid.
Also: the % operator applies to an entire term, so in the filter
subject: % One two three
the last two words are constrained to match lower-case only; because
of the 'capitalization' rule for (word) filters, the first word would
match only
One
whether the % operator is present or not.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: How do I get Help for Agent 1.932?

<o605hhdkl4jo5q3t6vv7n07hp3t838n4n9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4391&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4391

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 10:20:32 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 22:20 UTC

On Fri, 02 Sep 2022 11:25:19 -0700, Dan Musicant wrote:

> Subject: How do I get Help for Agent 1.932?

> The Help menu item
> doesn't provide anything. Only:
>
> Error opening Help in Windows-based programs: "Feature not included" or
> "Help not supported
>
> How can I get some clues, preferably specific info about my version of
> Agent, at least how to create email filters?

MS provided updates to add support for the old .hlp file format to
Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. Google for "KB917607".
Those updates was never available for Windows 10 or Windows 11.

Here are some alternative solutions for Windows 10 and Windows 11.

1. The Winhlp32.exe file from XP can open .hlp files from within
Windows 10 or 11 File Explorer.
* The .hlp file may need to be in a writeable directory.
If the .hlp file is inside 'Program Files' or
'Program Files (x86)' then you may need to copy the .hlp
file to a writeable directory and open it from there.

2. There is a patch posted on some web sites which is supposed to
make the KB917607 update for Windows 8 or 8.1 work on Windows 10.
I have not tried this patch myself, so I cannot advise how well
it works.

3. There is a 3rd-party program "Help Explorer Viewer" which says
it can open .hlp files. You can find it on shareware sites -
just Google for "Help Explorer Viewer" with the quote marks.
ISTM the 2007 version appears to add a free single user licence
not there in the 2006 version, so maybe get the later version if
you can.
You can find the author's site archived here:
<http://web.archive.org/web/20080620112548/http://www.help-explorer.com/hx.php>
Older 2006 site here:
<http://web.archive.org/web/20061215214953/http://www.kamasoftware.com/helpexplorer.php>

For avoidance of doubt, only #2 above would let you open .hlp files from
within Agent. #3 would also need Agent developer work which isn't there.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

HǷÆT ǷE GARDENA ingear dagum · þeod cyninga þrym gefrunon huða æþelingas ellen fremedon.

Re: How do I get Help for Agent 1.932?

<9jq6hh908ug3jb5erl50j7kgss9939igkp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4399&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4399

From: man@privacy.net (Dan Musicant)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 08:03:58 -0700
 by: Dan Musicant - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 15:03 UTC

On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 10:20:32 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

:
: 1. The Winhlp32.exe file from XP can open .hlp files from within
: Windows 10 or 11 File Explorer.
: * The .hlp file may need to be in a writeable directory.
: If the .hlp file is inside 'Program Files' or
: 'Program Files (x86)' then you may need to copy the .hlp
: file to a writeable directory and open it from there.

Yes, I believe I used to be able to open Agent help, I suppose before I
moved from Win7 to Win10.

Now, I just searched my system and network for winhlp32.exe (using
Everything, wonderful freebie) and encountered two versions, a 12kb and
a 277kb. The 12kb gives me the same error, but the 277kb does work! I'd
made the Agent folder NOT Read only. Interestingly the 277kb was
residing on my NAS and was part of a BIOS update download for one of my
laptops. Copying it to this laptop it works here when directed to
Agent.hlp. I checked and somehow the \Agent folder is now Read Only, but
Agent Help is still working. I have to open Winhlp32.exe and choose
Agent.hlp and it opens anyway. Now, I put a shortcut to Winhlp.exe
(sitting on local machine, but I could just run it off my server). A few
clicks on that shortcut and Agent.hlp and Agent Help opens. As you say,
not accessible in this manner from Agent itself.