Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too." -- Dave Haynie

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC

SubjectAuthor
* Move Agent with unicode extension to new PCValerio Vanni
+* Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PCRalph Fox
|`* Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PCValerio Vanni
| `* Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PCRalph Fox
|  `* Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PCValerio Vanni
|   `* Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PCRalph Fox
|    `- Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PCValerio Vanni
`* Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PCKen Blake
 `- Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PCValerio Vanni

1
Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC

<0kiightn2dtc1ucnlm8hq1g127b654diif@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4369&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4369

From: valerio.vanni@inwind.it (Valerio Vanni)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 00:49:01 +0200
 by: Valerio Vanni - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 22:49 UTC

I'm using unicode extension from Ralph Fox, and now I have to move
installation to another PC.
I just did a test on a virtual machine:

From admin:
1) Installed Agent
2) Copied in "c:\Program Files (x86)\Agent" dll and cod file from
Ralph Fox

From user:
1) Started Agent, without configure anything
2) Emptied "%APPDATA%\Forte\Agent" and copied there my old data

And with a quick check I find all OK.
Have I missed something? Is there any other thing to be checked?

--
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone al mondo: quelle che capiscono il sistema binario
e quelle che non lo capiscono.

Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC

<knqjghd9tuoeh9o7tck01e2cid4g0sojpb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4370&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4370

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 22:20:20 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 10:20 UTC

On Sat, 27 Aug 2022 00:49:01 +0200, Valerio Vanni wrote:

> I'm using unicode extension from Ralph Fox, and now I have to move
> installation to another PC.
> I just did a test on a virtual machine:
>
> From admin:
> 1) Installed Agent
> 2) Copied in "c:\Program Files (x86)\Agent" dll and cod file from
> Ralph Fox
>
> From user:
> 1) Started Agent, without configure anything
> 2) Emptied "%APPDATA%\Forte\Agent" and copied there my old data
>
> And with a quick check I find all OK.
> Have I missed something? Is there any other thing to be checked?

That should be good enough.

The current unicode extension needs these:
1) The extension's .dll and .cod files (with .dll file renamed);
2) Agent language and font settings, which are stored in the old data
that you copied into "%APPDATA%\Forte\Agent".

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC

<b4ckghlf10eeaomd5833bc9dpgubrqjpl4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4371&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4371

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 07:58:02 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 14:58 UTC

<valerio.vanni@inwind.it> wrote:

>Ci sono 10 tipi di persone al mondo: quelle che capiscono il sistema binario
>e quelle che non lo capiscono.

My tourist-level Italian is far from complete fluency, but I'm glad to
say that I could understand this, so I thank you for posting it.

Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC

<k2r3hh16896m19k8m7m2a4phem5h05lstb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4383&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4383

From: valerio.vanni@inwind.it (Valerio Vanni)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 13:43:24 +0200
 by: Valerio Vanni - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 11:43 UTC

On Sat, 27 Aug 2022 07:58:02 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Aug 2022 00:49:01 +0200, Valerio Vanni
><valerio.vanni@inwind.it> wrote:
>
>>Ci sono 10 tipi di persone al mondo: quelle che capiscono il sistema binario
>>e quelle che non lo capiscono.
>

>My tourist-level Italian is far from complete fluency, but I'm glad to
>say that I could understand this, so I thank you for posting it.

:-)

--
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone al mondo: quelle che capiscono il sistema binario
e quelle che non lo capiscono.

www.avg.com

Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC

<s3r3hhtgpaa15b9gd637ctqgvp6bh5hjb1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4384&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4384

From: valerio.vanni@inwind.it (Valerio Vanni)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 14:00:34 +0200
 by: Valerio Vanni - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 12:00 UTC

On Sat, 27 Aug 2022 22:20:20 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:
>> From admin:
>> 1) Installed Agent
>> 2) Copied in "c:\Program Files (x86)\Agent" dll and cod file from
>> Ralph Fox
>>
>> From user:
>> 1) Started Agent, without configure anything
>> 2) Emptied "%APPDATA%\Forte\Agent" and copied there my old data

>That should be good enough.
>
>The current unicode extension needs these:
> 1) The extension's .dll and .cod files (with .dll file renamed);
> 2) Agent language and font settings, which are stored in the old data
> that you copied into "%APPDATA%\Forte\Agent".

A little issue came out: looking better, I found IPA symbols scrambled
in newsgroup with unicode language.

It was because Agent couldn't find, on the new PC, the same font for
"variable pitch" that was set in AGENT.INI.
Agent interface didn't show any error ("missing font" or such), it
simply made appear in options->fonts the non-present font name. But, I
suppose, it defaulted to something other without "UTF-8" checked.

The difficult task, then, was to choose another font that I liked and
that showed well IPA symbols.

--
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone al mondo: quelle che capiscono il sistema binario
e quelle che non lo capiscono.

www.avg.com

Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC

<b2b6hhls9tl1nskg36fjv2hu8gm3eer7ek@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4392&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4392

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 23:04:24 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 11:04 UTC

On Fri, 02 Sep 2022 14:00:34 +0200, Valerio Vanni wrote:

> A little issue came out: looking better, I found IPA symbols scrambled
> in newsgroup with unicode language.
>
> It was because Agent couldn't find, on the new PC, the same font for
> "variable pitch" that was set in AGENT.INI.
> Agent interface didn't show any error ("missing font" or such), it
> simply made appear in options->fonts the non-present font name. But, I
> suppose, it defaulted to something other without "UTF-8" checked.
>
> The difficult task, then, was to choose another font that I liked and
> that showed well IPA symbols.

I should have mentioned to check whether your selected fonts were on
the new computer. My bad.

Agent's interface will show you the font named in the AGENT.INI
setting, whether that font exists on the new computer or not. To make
Agent check, you must open each individual font setting (such as
"Variable-Pitch Body", "Fixed-Pitch Body", etc.).

If the font named in AGENT.INI does not exist on the computer when
Agent displays text, there is no error. Windows simply provides Agent
with another font in its place for displaying the text. On XP and
later with "UTF-8" checked, that other font might be "MS Sans Serif" or
"Arial" (except when your computer's "Language for non-Unicode Programs"
uses either Arabic script, Hebrew script, or a far-Eastern script).

I tested what happens when the font named in AGENT.INI does not exist.
I tested in both Windows XP and Windows 10, like so:
1. Edit the AGENT.INI file and change the name of the UTF-8
variable-pitch body font to a font which is not on the computer;
2. Then try viewing the IPA symbols in " /tɔːt ʌ tɒt/ " in a
Unicode UTF-8 message.

Results
* Windows XP: the IPA symbols appear as square boxes (missing
character symbol).
* Windows 10: the IPA symbols still appear correctly (although
maybe not as well as in a carefully chosen font).

--
Kind regards
Ralph

一橹抵三桨

Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC

<1lg6hh9vurgrr0lhupsp8nl9b7u662658m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4398&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4398

From: valerio.vanni@inwind.it (Valerio Vanni)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 14:12:12 +0200
 by: Valerio Vanni - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 12:12 UTC

On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 23:04:24 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>> The difficult task, then, was to choose another font that I liked and
>> that showed well IPA symbols.
>
>I should have mentioned to check whether your selected fonts were on
>the new computer. My bad.

No bad from you, Ralph :-)

>I tested what happens when the font named in AGENT.INI does not exist.

Now I test it too. I was migrating Agent from Windows XP to Windows
10, so I have both virtual machines ready.

>I tested in both Windows XP and Windows 10, like so:
> 1. Edit the AGENT.INI file and change the name of the UTF-8
> variable-pitch body font to a font which is not on the computer;
> 2. Then try viewing the IPA symbols in " /tɔːt ʌ tɒt/ " in a
> Unicode UTF-8 message.
>
>Results
> * Windows XP: the IPA symbols appear as square boxes (missing
> character symbol).

The same for me.

> * Windows 10: the IPA symbols still appear correctly (although
> maybe not as well as in a carefully chosen font).

Also here the same, I can read your /tɔːt ʌ tɒt/.

But the message that I said I had found scrambled, on an italian group
about linguistics, appears scrambled even during this test.

I try to paste it here:

--
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone al mondo: quelle che capiscono il sistema binario
e quelle che non lo capiscono.

Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC

<apn8hhhktcqe5l4ojf2lu4j9rbhnu5u2q5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4405&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4405

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 20:17:57 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:17 UTC

On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 14:12:12 +0200, Valerio Vanni wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 23:04:24 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> I tested what happens when the font named in AGENT.INI does not exist.
>
> Now I test it too. I was migrating Agent from Windows XP to Windows
> 10, so I have both virtual machines ready.
>
>> I tested in both Windows XP and Windows 10, like so:
>> 1. Edit the AGENT.INI file and change the name of the UTF-8
>> variable-pitch body font to a font which is not on the computer;
>> 2. Then try viewing the IPA symbols in " /tɔːt ʌ tɒt/ " in a
>> Unicode UTF-8 message.
>>
>> Results
>> * Windows XP: the IPA symbols appear as square boxes (missing
>> character symbol).
>
> The same for me.
>
>> * Windows 10: the IPA symbols still appear correctly (although
>> maybe not as well as in a carefully chosen font).
>
> Also here the same, I can read your /tɔːt ʌ tɒt/.
>
> But the message that I said I had found scrambled, on an italian group
> about linguistics, appears scrambled even during this test.
>
> I try to paste it here:
>
>> Nel russo si scriveva prima del 1918 la lettera fita (mai. Ѳ / min. ѳ
>> [f]), che rappresentava la theta greca (Θ/θ [θ]) in parole di origine
>> greca (esempio tipico: Ѳёдор, Fëdor, Teodoro). Con la riforma del 1918
>> la fita fu abolita e sostituita con la effe normale (Ф/ф), e Ѳёдор
>> diventò Фёдор. Trovo interessante che gli antichi russi sentissero la
>> consonante [θ], estranea alla loro lingua, come una [f].

Using the linguistics message above, I did some more testing of Agent
UTF-8 display in Windows 10 when the font named in AGENT.INI does not
exist. If the missing font is (say) "Unifont", then the AGENT.INI
setting for UTF-8 will say "Unifont UTF8", e.g.

Variable=Unifont UTF8, 100, 0,0, 0,0,0, 254

I found that the results depend on the font size selected.
* At some font sizes the IPA symbols and the Greek and Cyrillic
characters appear as blocks representing missing character glyphs.
* At other font sizes the IPA symbols and the Greek and Cyrillic
characters are displayed correctly.

With my screen resolution of 120 DPI (125% scaling), my results in
Windows 10 are shown in this screen-shot montage:

<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_1lg6hh__agent_utf-8_display_when_configured_font_is_missing.png>

If your screen resolution is not the same as mine, then I expect your
results will not match mine for the same font size.

I think the cause of what I see is this:

* If the font is not present, Windows 10 will try to display the text
in "MS Sans Serif" if it can, otherwise in "Arial".
* "MS Sans Serif" is an old-type bitmap font which is only available at
certain specific sizes (sizes in pixels, that is).
* "MS Sans Serif" will also not display Unicode characters.
* At some font sizes, "MS Sans Serif" is available and the Unicode
characters are not displayed.
* At other font sizes, "MS Sans Serif" is not available and Windows 10
uses Arial. Unicode characters are displayed.

The font size settings in Agent and other programs are in points, not pixels.
The correspondence between points and pixels depends on the screen resolution.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ὁ βίος βραχύς, ἡ δὲ τέχνη μακρή
Vita brevis, ars longa
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne

Re: Move Agent with unicode extension to new PC

<4odvhhla1l0i2vabe9if5tgjhhs1lh0khq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4409&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4409

From: valerio.vanni@inwind.it (Valerio Vanni)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 00:49:33 +0200
 by: Valerio Vanni - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 22:49 UTC

On Sun, 04 Sep 2022 20:17:57 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>Using the linguistics message above, I did some more testing of Agent
>UTF-8 display in Windows 10 when the font named in AGENT.INI does not
>exist. If the missing font is (say) "Unifont", then the AGENT.INI
>setting for UTF-8 will say "Unifont UTF8", e.g.
>
> Variable=Unifont UTF8, 100, 0,0, 0,0,0, 254
>
>I found that the results depend on the font size selected.
> * At some font sizes the IPA symbols and the Greek and Cyrillic
> characters appear as blocks representing missing character glyphs.
> * At other font sizes the IPA symbols and the Greek and Cyrillic
> characters are displayed correctly.
>
>With my screen resolution of 120 DPI (125% scaling), my results in
>Windows 10 are shown in this screen-shot montage:
>
> <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_1lg6hh__agent_utf-8_display_when_configured_font_is_missing.png>
>
>If your screen resolution is not the same as mine, then I expect your
>results will not match mine for the same font size.
>
>I think the cause of what I see is this:
>
> * If the font is not present, Windows 10 will try to display the text
> in "MS Sans Serif" if it can, otherwise in "Arial".
> * "MS Sans Serif" is an old-type bitmap font which is only available at
> certain specific sizes (sizes in pixels, that is).
> * "MS Sans Serif" will also not display Unicode characters.
> * At some font sizes, "MS Sans Serif" is available and the Unicode
> characters are not displayed.
> * At other font sizes, "MS Sans Serif" is not available and Windows 10
> uses Arial. Unicode characters are displayed.

I did some test and it happens the same on my systems.

It works when it fails ;-)