Everybody needs a little love sometime; stop hacking and fall in love!

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

SubjectAuthor
* Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillionSam Samcom
+* Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilArthur T.
|`* Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilSam Samcom
| `* Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilKen Blake
|  `* Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilSam Samcom
|   +* Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilArthur T.
|   |`- Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilSam Samcom
|   +* Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilKen Blake
|   |`- Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilSam Samcom
|   `* Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilDennis Lee Bieber
|    `- Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilSam Samcom
`* Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilRalph Fox
 `- Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazilSam Samcom

1
Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<b35jfh9ut8ic4qv9qi2p6vtlb1u3qaraul@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4341&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4341

From: sam@sam.com (Sam Samcom)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 19:35:13 -0500
 by: Sam Samcom - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 00:35 UTC

I have had this problem before and can't recall how to fix it. Can
someone help me please?

Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<596jfh15qeraucq2f8blem789dd9q6b4hk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4342&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4342

From: arthur@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 20:55:11 -0400
 by: Arthur T. - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 00:55 UTC

In Message-ID:<b35jfh9ut8ic4qv9qi2p6vtlb1u3qaraul@4ax.com>,
Sam Samcom <sam@sam.com> wrote:

>I have had this problem before and can't recall how to fix it. Can
>someone help me please?

Try hitting Ctrl-R.

Also, please put the statement of your problem in the text, not just
the Subject.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<arnjfhtd55b5vi61fai5ggffeis3j2e9r8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4343&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4343

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:59:20 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 05:59 UTC

On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 19:35:13 -0500, Sam Samcom wrote:

> Subject: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started
> getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

> I have had this problem before and can't recall how to fix it. Can
> someone help me please?

From Forté’s Agent Newsreader FAQ

"Attachments appear as blocks of code instead of as icons."
<https://web.archive.org/web/20220412010902/https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#3681E47795B0585285256C1F005A88F1>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Press CTRL+R; it's a toggle, the current state of which is shown by
the presence or absence of a checkmark against the *Display as Raw
Message* command on the *View* menu.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--
Kind regards
Ralph

ζητεῖτε καὶ εὑρήσετε

Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<ebokfhdiuqokoausi26qhenvdbnjcei5c2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4344&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4344

From: sam@sam.com (Sam Samcom)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:08:54 -0500
 by: Sam Samcom - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 15:08 UTC

On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 20:55:11 -0400, Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid>
wrote:

>In Message-ID:<b35jfh9ut8ic4qv9qi2p6vtlb1u3qaraul@4ax.com>,
>Sam Samcom <sam@sam.com> wrote:
>
>>I have had this problem before and can't recall how to fix it. Can
>>someone help me please?
>
>Try hitting Ctrl-R.
>
>Also, please put the statement of your problem in the text, not just
>the Subject.

What I like about Usenet are the rules

Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<bcokfhpntuudanf7u9m6qgbinslseg32aa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4345&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4345

From: sam@sam.com (Sam Samcom)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:09:21 -0500
 by: Sam Samcom - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 15:09 UTC

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:59:20 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 19:35:13 -0500, Sam Samcom wrote:
>
>> Subject: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started
>> getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih
>
>> I have had this problem before and can't recall how to fix it. Can
>> someone help me please?
>

>From Forté’s Agent Newsreader FAQ
>
> "Attachments appear as blocks of code instead of as icons."
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20220412010902/https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#3681E47795B0585285256C1F005A88F1>
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Press CTRL+R; it's a toggle, the current state of which is shown by
> the presence or absence of a checkmark against the *Display as Raw
> Message* command on the *View* menu.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank You

Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<q0pkfhh07kpetfnntor54asue8espjbr9n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4346&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4346

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 08:22:00 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 15:22 UTC

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:08:54 -0500, Sam Samcom <sam@sam.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 20:55:11 -0400, Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>In Message-ID:<b35jfh9ut8ic4qv9qi2p6vtlb1u3qaraul@4ax.com>,
>>Sam Samcom <sam@sam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have had this problem before and can't recall how to fix it. Can
>>>someone help me please?
>>
>>Try hitting Ctrl-R.
>>
>>Also, please put the statement of your problem in the text, not just
>>the Subject.
>
>What I like about Usenet are the rules

It's not a rule, as far as I know; it's just a custom, and a good one,
as far as I'm concerned. Many of us (me, for example) rarely look at
the subject line.

Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<f70lfh5d7ut4tcv4gju2360mvrr5t7i4v0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4347&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4347

From: sam@sam.com (Sam Samcom)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:27:19 -0500
 by: Sam Samcom - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:27 UTC

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 08:22:00 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:08:54 -0500, Sam Samcom <sam@sam.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 20:55:11 -0400, Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>Try hitting Ctrl-R.
>>>
>>>Also, please put the statement of your problem in the text, not just
>>>the Subject.
>>
>>What I like about Usenet are the rules
>

>It's not a rule, as far as I know; it's just a custom, and a good one,
>as far as I'm concerned. Many of us (me, for example) rarely look at
>the subject line.

Don't look at the subject line? That makes no sense to me. Do you read
every post? The more I put in the subject the better. That's my custom
and one thing about Usenet I like is there are no rules. My comment on
rules was was a joke. Usenet is the last place to be real....I don't
have to write nonsense such as...long time lurker first time poster.
If my post is not answered because of how I phrase that's fine

Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<765lfh9lqpkl20aajnd1ck5hqtams7c64o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4348&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4348

From: arthur@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 14:48:20 -0400
 by: Arthur T. - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 18:48 UTC

In Message-ID:<f70lfh5d7ut4tcv4gju2360mvrr5t7i4v0@4ax.com>,
Sam Samcom <sam@sam.com> wrote:

>If my post is not answered because of how I phrase that's fine

Okay, I'll try to remember that.
--
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<0p4lfhll7s3uhiig47iidp5628fng3800n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4349&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4349

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:14:41 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:14 UTC

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:27:19 -0500, Sam Samcom <sam@sam.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 08:22:00 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:08:54 -0500, Sam Samcom <sam@sam.com> wrote:

>>>What I like about Usenet are the rules
>>

>>It's not a rule, as far as I know; it's just a custom, and a good one,
>>as far as I'm concerned. Many of us (me, for example) rarely look at
>>the subject line.
>
>Don't look at the subject line? That makes no sense to me.

What you do is up to you. We're all different. I find that most
subject lines say little (often nothing) about what the message is
about, and are therefore nearly useless to me.

Sometimes the subject line starts out saying nothing of value--for
example I've often seen posts in Windows newsgroups with useless
subject lines like "Windows Problem."

Other times, the subject line may start out to be of interest at the
beginning of a thread, but quickly stops having anything to do with
later posts. As an example, the subject line of this message says
nothing about what I am writing in this post, nor does it say anything
about what you wrote in the message I'm replying to..

>Do you read
>every post?

Yes, except those from people I have killfiled. But not necessarily
every word of every post. I at least skim over every post, noting what
the message is about, and deciding whether to read it in more detail.

I show only unread posts in all the newsgroups I'm subscribed to. I
step though them with the space bar, which takes me to the next
message in the message text pane, where my eyes are focused. I seldom
even look at the pane with the list of messages nor at the header in
the message I'm looking at it, unless I decide that I want to check to
see who wrote it.

As I said, I skim through each new message. If it's something that
appears to be interesting, I slow down and read it in more detail. If
it doesn't appear to be interesting, I press the space bar as many
times as necessary and quickly go on to the next message.

Despite what you may think,*I* find this to be the fastest way for me
to read a newsgroup.

>The more I put in the subject the better. That's my custom.

The better for you, not for everybody. And what your custom is is up
to you, not to me. The longer the subject line, the less likely it is
that I will read it

Please understand that I am not trying to give you a hard time, nor
trying to convert you to doing things my way.. As I said above, what
you do is up to you. We're all different and work in different ways.
Differences are fine with me.

>and one thing about Usenet I like is there are no rules.

Generally true, but there are some moderated newsgroups.

>My comment on
>rules was was a joke.

Yes, I know, I only answered because I wanted to make the point that
many people don't read the subject. I'm not the only one who does
things my way; I know many others.

>Usenet is the last place to be real....I don't
>have to write nonsense such as...long time lurker first time poster.
>If my post is not answered because of how I phrase that's fine

Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<gqalfhddpap439qqhab9ifhnc705n1oisg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4350&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4350

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 16:31:30 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 20:31 UTC

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:27:19 -0500, Sam Samcom <sam@sam.com> declaimed the
following:

>Don't look at the subject line? That makes no sense to me. Do you read
>every post? The more I put in the subject the better. That's my custom

Pretty much, yes... If the message is found to be undesirable, I add a
kill filter for it so I don't see follow-ups.

>and one thing about Usenet I like is there are no rules. My comment on
>rules was was a joke. Usenet is the last place to be real....I don't
>have to write nonsense such as...long time lurker first time poster.
>If my post is not answered because of how I phrase that's fine

There is... https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

Under the "one to many" (Usenet, and maybe mailing lists) section
"""
- Subject lines should follow the conventions of the group.
"""

vs the "one to one" (direct email) section
"""
- Mail should have a subject heading which reflects
the content of the message.
"""

When the subject IS the content -- it is likely to be ignored...

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<crvlfhd9l38c9nr9riev19l9srhfc2rv9h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4351&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4351

From: sam@sam.com (Sam Samcom)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 21:22:43 -0500
 by: Sam Samcom - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 02:22 UTC

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 14:48:20 -0400, Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid>
wrote:

>How to ask questions the smart way:

LOL

Re: Agent 6 went goofy somehow downloading jpgs. Today I started getting a bazillion lines of gibbersih

<qsvlfh1qnfc1c1inr7lfe5jl8akepqd6su@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4352&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4352

From: sam@sam.com (Sam Samcom)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 21:24:25 -0500
 by: Sam Samcom - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 02:24 UTC

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:14:41 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

Your reply is more than I want to read but thanks for your time and
concern for my welfare

<0vvlfhld0346pnh5ulf0tr8asgks82lsev@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4353&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4353

From: sam@sam.com (Sam Samcom)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 21:24:48 -0500
 by: Sam Samcom - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 02:24 UTC