I know engineers. They love to change things. -- Dr. McCoy

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?

SubjectAuthor
* Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?harry
+* Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?KenW
|`* Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?harry
| `* Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?Nobody
|  `- Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?harry
+* Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?Arthur T.
|`- Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?Arthur T.
`- Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?Ralph Fox

1
Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?

<idtlehln3v8s5a5klghkgbn51k43p9afei@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4333&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4333

From: harry@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 17:26:14 -0500
 by: harry@invalid.com - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 22:26 UTC

Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?

I want to setup Agent for a new provider. Where are the Port
settings?

Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?

<savleh5va5cepeomgqfckk710na8ouq5mm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4334&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4334

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 16:58:06 -0600
 by: KenW - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 22:58 UTC

On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 17:26:14 -0500, harry@invalid.com wrote:

>Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?
>
>I want to setup Agent for a new provider. Where are the Port
>settings?

Tools > Server & accounts (if same a ver 8 )

KenW

Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?

<hk1mehlq43m3k2a92j8g2ts0dbtjnicue2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4335&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4335

From: harry@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 18:41:49 -0500
 by: harry@invalid.com - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 23:41 UTC

On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 16:58:06 -0600, KenW
<ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 17:26:14 -0500, harry@invalid.com wrote:
>
>>Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?
>>
>>I want to setup Agent for a new provider. Where are the Port
>>settings?
>
>Tools > Server & accounts (if same a ver 8 )
>

>KenW

Ver. 1.93 doesn't have Tools > Server & Accounts
(No multiple account settings in this version.)

Only the following on 1.93 Toolbar:
File Edit Online Post Navigate Group Message Options Window Help

And I somehow lost my HELP file. : o(

Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?

<pj2mehdvmbcr7ukj16j5je1unj7m0irlf7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4336&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4336

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 17:02:19 -0700
 by: Nobody - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 00:02 UTC

On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 18:41:49 -0500, harry@invalid.com wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 16:58:06 -0600, KenW
><ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 17:26:14 -0500, harry@invalid.com wrote:
>>
>>>Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?
>>>
>>>I want to setup Agent for a new provider. Where are the Port
>>>settings?
>>
>>Tools > Server & accounts (if same a ver 8 )
>>

>>KenW
>
>Ver. 1.93 doesn't have Tools > Server & Accounts
>(No multiple account settings in this version.)
>
>Only the following on 1.93 Toolbar:
>File Edit Online Post Navigate Group Message Options Window Help
>
>And I somehow lost my HELP file. : o(

Given that in v8.0, *Tools* pulldown leads to *Options* and *Servers
and Accounts* etc., look within your *Options* for clues.

v1.93... 20 years olde... yikes!

Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?

<dhemehpnhs299j658si6c59m2g813o02th@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4337&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4337

From: arthur@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 23:21:27 -0400
 by: Arthur T. - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 03:21 UTC

In Message-ID:<idtlehln3v8s5a5klghkgbn51k43p9afei@4ax.com>,
harry@invalid.com wrote:

>Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?
>
>I want to setup Agent for a new provider. Where are the Port
>settings?

The News server is entered in optioNs --> User and systems profile,
System tab.

If you want to change port numbers, you may have to shut down Agent,
back up your agent.ini file, and then edit it - what you're looking
for will be in the [Servers] section.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?

<guemeh5pmrtt4v0dlh6itdbv2va1du3fht@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4338&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4338

From: arthur@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 23:26:20 -0400
 by: Arthur T. - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 03:26 UTC

In Message-ID:<dhemehpnhs299j658si6c59m2g813o02th@4ax.com>,
Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid> wrote:

>If you want to change port numbers, you may have to shut down Agent,
>back up your agent.ini file, and then edit it - what you're looking
>for will be in the [Servers] section.

Aha! If found the old Agent FAQ page. It does say that to change port
numbers, you have to edit the ini file:

>How do I change the port that Agent uses to connect to the server?
>
>You can change the port settings by editing the AGENT.INI file. Do not let the file word wrap when editing it, or you will destroy several of the longer settings. Here is what to look for in the ini file:
>-----begin-----
>[Servers]
<snip rest>

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?

<1dgmehluvnhjtp0516s1guguvfvnbr6l0d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4339&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4339

From: harry@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 23:10:29 -0500
 by: harry@invalid.com - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 04:10 UTC

On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 17:02:19 -0700, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 18:41:49 -0500, harry@invalid.com wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 16:58:06 -0600, KenW
>><ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:

>>>Tools > Server & accounts (if same a ver 8 )
>>>

>>>KenW
>>
>>Ver. 1.93 doesn't have Tools > Server & Accounts
>>(No multiple account settings in this version.)
>>
>>Only the following on 1.93 Toolbar:
>>File Edit Online Post Navigate Group Message Options Window Help
>>
>>And I somehow lost my HELP file. : o(
>
>Given that in v8.0, *Tools* pulldown leads to *Options* and *Servers
>and Accounts* etc., look within your *Options* for clues.
>
>v1.93... 20 years olde... yikes!

1. I've given up on the ES Agent I was using. From what I've learned since
from his post and my own further experimenting is that I'm busted by ES. And
that doesn't really matter. I have another paid-for Usenet Agent 1.93. So, I
don't really need ES.

2. A looong time ago I did try the newer Agents. I didn't need - nor like -
all that newer stuff. I don't need multiple posting accounts, or all that
group junk they added. Agent 1.93 is simple. I like simple. As the KISS
Principle puts it: KeepItSimpleStupid.

3. New is not always good. I'm still using FFx 52.9.0 (non esr) browser. And
with that FFx ancient version I see NO commercials on YouTube when playing or
downloading music vids.. However, my "newer" MyPal browser (29.1.1), which I
use for faster speed on the Web, does get all screwed with commercials before
and during musical vids. Freak'n Google doesn't need anymore of my $$ with
their subscription crap for YouTube.

I've had computers since the DOS days of the early 70's. My first was the
Radio Shack TRS 80. It's a damn shame how greed for the $$ has pretty much
screwed up the Web.

Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?

<mqlmehphnu94qks0tjr0qvfb4meffn9cu3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4340&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4340

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 17:30:04 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 05:30 UTC

On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 17:26:14 -0500, harry@invalid.com wrote:

> Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?
>
> I want to setup Agent for a new provider. Where are the Port
> settings?

The Agent 1.93 port settings are in the INI file, as described in the
Agent 1.93 help file at: Help >> Index >> .INI file >> [Servers]

Alternate ports are most always for SSL, but Agent 1.93 does not do SSL.
When not using SSL, the default ports are almost always the right ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Servers]

NNTPPort=119
This setting controls the port to use for connecting to the
NNTP news server. When this value is the standard news server
port number (119), Agent first asks the winsock driver for
the port number to use. If that call (getservbyname) fails,
Agent then tries to use this port number. When this value is
*not* the standard news server port number, Agent uses it
instead of the asking the winsock driver for the port number
to use.

SMTPPort=25
This setting controls the port to use for connecting to the
SMTP email server. When this value is the standard email
server port number (25), Agent first asks the winsock driver
for the port number to use. If that call (getservbyname)
fails, Agent then tries to use this port number. When this
value is *not* the standard email server port number, Agent
uses it instead of the asking the winsock driver for the port
number to use.

POPPort=110
This setting controls the port to use for connecting to the
POP server. When this value is the standard POP server port
number (110), Agent first asks the winsock driver for the port
number to use. If that call (getservbyname) fails, Agent then
tries to use this port number. When this value is *not* the
standard email server port number, Agent uses it instead of
the asking the winsock driver for the port number to use.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Agent Unicode Test
π’œβ„Šβ„―π“ƒπ“‰ 𝒰𝓃𝒾𝒸ℴ𝒹ℯ π’―β„―π“ˆπ“‰
𝔄𝔀𝔒𝔫𝔱 π”˜π”«π”¦π” π”¬π”‘π”’ 𝔗𝔒𝔰𝔱
π”Έπ•˜π•–π•Ÿπ•₯ π•Œπ•Ÿπ•šπ•”π• π••π•– 𝕋𝕖𝕀π•₯

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Where do I find the setup for the ports in Agent 1.93?