backups: always in season, never out of style.

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Profile manager no longer accesible

SubjectAuthor
* Profile manager no longer accesibleRF-A
`* Profile manager no longer accesibleNFN Smith
 `* Profile manager no longer accesibleRF-A
  `* Profile manager no longer accesibleRalph Fox
   +* Profile manager no longer accesible through shortcut ?RF-A
   |`* Profile manager no longer accesible through shortcut ?Ralph Fox
   | `- Profile manager no longer accesible through shortcut ?RF-A
   `* Profile manager no longer accesibleDavid E. Ross
    `- Profile manager no longer accesibleRalph Fox

1
Profile manager no longer accesible

<0Ej4M.758532$QS94.421643@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=430&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#430

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rfurb@aim.com (RF-A)
Subject: Profile manager no longer accesible
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 04:27:06 +0200
 by: RF-A - Wed, 3 May 2023 02:27 UTC

Hello all,

After upgrading from version 2.53.15 to 2.53.16, the Profile Manager is no longer accesible.

Click on its item in Windows 7's start menu just opens a blank browser page.

Has anyone else observed this problem ?

Rubens

Re: Profile manager no longer accesible

<u2snm2$15aua$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=431&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#431

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: Profile manager no longer accesible
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 21:24:30 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Wed, 3 May 2023 04:24 UTC

RF-A wrote:

> After upgrading from version 2.53.15 to 2.53.16, the Profile Manager is
> no longer accesible.
>
> Click on its item in Windows 7's start menu just opens a blank browser
> page.
>
> Has anyone else observed this problem ?

In Seamonkey, Tools -> Switch Profile should get you to the Profile
Manager.

From the Windows Start button, Profile Manager is normally there, but
it's nothing more than a shortcut that resolves to SEAMONKEY.EXE -P .
You can create your own shortcut, but if you use the Profile Manager
more than occasionally, the thing to do when you're in the Profile
Manager, make sure you tick the box that makes Seamonkey go through the
Profile Manager each time you start it.

Smith

Re: Profile manager no longer accesible

<jCt4M.838629$aQS9.712138@fx01.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=437&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#437

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rfurb@aim.com (RF-A)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 15:47:57 +0200
 by: RF-A - Wed, 3 May 2023 13:47 UTC

NFN Smith wrote on 03/05/2023 06:24:
> RF-A wrote:
>

>> After upgrading from version 2.53.15 to 2.53.16, the Profile Manager is no longer accesible.
>>
>> Click on its item in Windows 7's start menu just opens a blank browser page.
>>
>> Has anyone else observed this problem ?
>
> In Seamonkey, Tools -> Switch Profile should get you to the Profile Manager.
>
> From the Windows Start button, Profile Manager is normally there, but it's nothing more than a shortcut that resolves to SEAMONKEY.EXE -P . You can create your own shortcut, but if you use the Profile Manager more than occasionally, the thing to do when you're in the Profile Manager, make sure you tick the box that makes Seamonkey go through the Profile Manager each time you start it.
>
> Smith

Yes, I am aware about that. What I meant is that the same shortcut which had been working for years suddenly stopped working right after the version 2.53.16 upgrade.

It was pointing exactly to this: "C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe -profileManager". And changing it to "C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe -P" did not help.

This is not the only Seamonkey behaviour which changed (for worse) after this "upgrade", but that story is for another thread.

Rubens

Re: Profile manager no longer accesible

<v1955idq8cmfnv10ln388cg3k454pot65j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=439&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#439

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 06:33:06 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 3 May 2023 18:33 UTC

On Wed, 3 May 2023 15:47:57 +0200, RF-A wrote:
> NFN Smith wrote on 03/05/2023 06:24:
>> RF-A wrote:
>>
>>> After upgrading from version 2.53.15 to 2.53.16, the Profile Manager is no longer accesible.
>>>
>>> Click on its item in Windows 7's start menu just opens a blank browser page.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else observed this problem ?
>>
>> In Seamonkey, Tools -> Switch Profile should get you to the Profile Manager.
>>
>> From the Windows Start button, Profile Manager is normally there, but it's nothing more than a shortcut that resolves to SEAMONKEY.EXE -P . You can create your own shortcut, but if you use the Profile Manager more than occasionally, the thing to do when you're in the Profile Manager, make sure you tick the box that makes Seamonkey go through the Profile Manager each time you start it.
>>
>> Smith
>>

> Yes, I am aware about that. What I meant is that the same shortcut which had been working for years suddenly stopped working right after the version 2.53.16 upgrade.
>
> It was pointing exactly to this: "C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe -profileManager". And changing it to "C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe -P" did not help.

This works here with SM 2.53.16: Note the doubled '-' and the capital 'P'.

C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe --ProfileManager

How one can check the syntax oneself:

> "C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -h >sm_usage.txt
> TYPE sm_usage.txt
Usage: C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe [ options ... ] [URL]
where options include:
--ProfileManager Start with ProfileManager.

Kind regards
Ralph Fox

ζητεῖτε καὶ εὑρήσετε

Re: Profile manager no longer accesible through shortcut ?

<0vz4M.800734$BiG3.198210@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=441&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#441

Subject: Re: Profile manager no longer accesible through shortcut ?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rfurb@aim.com (RF-A)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 22:29:46 +0200
 by: RF-A - Wed, 3 May 2023 20:29 UTC

Ralph Fox wrote on 03/05/2023 20:33:
> On Wed, 3 May 2023 15:47:57 +0200, RF-A wrote:
>> NFN Smith wrote on 03/05/2023 06:24:

>>> In Seamonkey, Tools -> Switch Profile should get you to the Profile Manager.
>>>
>>> From the Windows Start button, Profile Manager is normally there, but it's nothing more than a shortcut that resolves to SEAMONKEY.EXE -P . You can create your own shortcut, but if you use the Profile Manager more than occasionally, the thing to do when you're in the Profile Manager, make sure you tick the box that makes Seamonkey go through the Profile Manager each time you start it.
>>>
>>> Smith
>>>

>> Yes, I am aware about that. What I meant is that the same shortcut which had been working for years suddenly stopped working right after the version 2.53.16 upgrade.
>>
>> It was pointing exactly to this: "C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe -profileManager". And changing it to "C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe -P" did not help.
>

> This works here with SM 2.53.16: Note the doubled '-' and the capital 'P'.
>
> C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe --ProfileManager
>

> How one can check the syntax oneself:
>
> > "C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -h >sm_usage.txt
> > TYPE sm_usage.txt
> Usage: C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe [ options ... ] [URL]
> where options include:
> --ProfileManager Start with ProfileManager.

Thanks for trying to help.

Tested again by copying and pasting exactly what you wrote above, but unfortunately it did not work. A blank browser window always comes up.

Re: Profile manager no longer accesible

<u2v6eh$1ldrl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=444&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#444

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 19:48:46 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Thu, 4 May 2023 02:48 UTC

On 5/3/2023 11:33 AM, Ralph Fox wrote:

[snipped]

> This works here with SM 2.53.16: Note the doubled '-' and the capital 'P'.
>
> C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe --ProfileManager

[snipped]

This works only if SeaMonkey is indeed installed in C:\Progs\Seamonkey\.
In my case SeaMonkey is installed on a different drive in its own
folder. When I adjusted the path of the command line above to reflect
where my SeaMonkey is actually installed, the command line worked
perfectly.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat, Impossible Meat, and other such meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods, which my doctor
told me to avoid. Real meat is natural. Beyond Meat and
Impossible Meat are definitely not natural.

Re: Profile manager no longer accesible through shortcut ?

<2ak65ilu5un5vv42nnmimtavkq1ro1bidu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=445&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#445

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 18:52:02 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 4 May 2023 06:52 UTC

On Wed, 3 May 2023 22:29:46 +0200, RF-A wrote:

> Thanks for trying to help.
>
> Tested again by copying and pasting exactly what you wrote above, but unfortunately it did not work. A blank browser window always comes up.

Very odd. You might have a corrupted installation.
Or you are now using a 'portable' version of SM 2.53.16.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

On ælcere ea swa wyrse fordes, swa betere fisces.

Re: Profile manager no longer accesible

<l1i65ihh7l40f9js1fc6cf3u40am59otu4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=446&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#446

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 18:52:02 +1200

On Wed, 3 May 2023 19:48:46 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 5/3/2023 11:33 AM, Ralph Fox wrote:
>
> [snipped]
[Unsnipped relevant context]

>> On Wed, 3 May 2023 15:47:57 +0200, RF-A wrote:

>>> It was pointing exactly to this: "C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe -profileManager".
>>> And changing it to "C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe -P" did not help.
>
>> This works here with SM 2.53.16: Note the doubled '-' and the capital 'P'.
>>
>> C:\Progs\Seamonkey\seamonkey.exe --ProfileManager
>
> [snipped]
>
> This works only if SeaMonkey is indeed installed in C:\Progs\Seamonkey\.

Here, my reply to the OP used the path which the OP gave.

> In my case SeaMonkey is installed on a different drive in its own
> folder. When I adjusted the path of the command line above to reflect
> where my SeaMonkey is actually installed, the command line worked
> perfectly.

When I tested locally I also I adjusted the path to reflect that my
SM 2.53.16 is installed in "Program Files\Seamonkey".

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Se æppel næfre þæs feorr ne trenddeð he cyð hwanon he com.

Re: Profile manager no longer accesible through shortcut ?

<Gsh5M.1011013$S2l4.816877@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=451&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#451

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rfurb@aim.com (RF-A)
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 02:47:32 +0200
 by: RF-A - Sat, 6 May 2023 00:47 UTC

Ralph Fox wrote on 04/05/2023 08:52:
> On Wed, 3 May 2023 22:29:46 +0200, RF-A wrote:
>
>> Thanks for trying to help.
>>
>> Tested again by copying and pasting exactly what you wrote above, but unfortunately it did not work. A blank browser window always comes up.
>

> Very odd. You might have a corrupted installation.
> Or you are now using a 'portable' version of SM 2.53.16.

Nope.

I have always used the standard installation, and it has been working perfectly for years, up to the very moment when it was upgraded to version 2.53.16.