From: hope@hope.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: pdf
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 11:54:35 +0100
 by: hope@hope.com - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:54 UTC

Hi All

I have a problem with pdf files not opening the program that is the default on windows ten from
forte \agent

I right click on the attachment and say launch, a box comes saying no mime is associated with this
file.

I then go to tool/options/mime types and look at application/octet-stream the default is pdf

I have set the default apps to the pdf reader in win ten so that is working all okay

the next thing I did was to set the path to the file in application/octet-stream

application/octet-stream

extensions pdf

application path to the file that reads pdf file

B UT nothing that I have done will let agent open a pdf file , always get that error no mime etc

please help

dumb blond

Re: pdf

<3ll9bh951caoctutce0t6a55lud1l9lffb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4248&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4248

From: gfretwell@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: pdf
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 17:12:37 -0400
 by: gfretwell@aol.com - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 21:12 UTC

On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 11:54:35 +0100, hope@hope.com wrote:

>Hi All
>
>I have a problem with pdf files not opening the program that is the default on windows ten from
>forte \agent
>
>I right click on the attachment and say launch, a box comes saying no mime is associated with this
>file.
>
>I then go to tool/options/mime types and look at application/octet-stream the default is pdf
>
>I have set the default apps to the pdf reader in win ten so that is working all okay
>
>the next thing I did was to set the path to the file in application/octet-stream
>
>application/octet-stream
>
>extensions pdf
>
>application path to the file that reads pdf file
>
>B UT nothing that I have done will let agent open a pdf file , always get that error no mime etc
>
>please help
>
>dumb blond

I get some cranky PDFs now and then that error when I try to open
them. If Firefox can't handle it I do a right click, "open with" and
try Adobe, a Windoze thing like Word or SlimJet browser that seems to
open anything.

Re: pdf

<0lkabhplp8239nmcccr3h7gcubo0k022ac@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4250&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4250

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 18:21:03 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 06:21 UTC

On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 11:54:35 +0100, hope@hope.com wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have a problem with pdf files not opening the program that is the default on windows ten from
> forte \agent
>
> I right click on the attachment and say launch, a box comes saying no mime is associated with this
> file.

See note #1 below.
Also see note #2 below.

> I then go to tool/options/mime types and look at application/octet-stream the default is pdf
>
> I have set the default apps to the pdf reader in win ten so that is working all okay

See note #4 below.

> the next thing I did was to set the path to the file in application/octet-stream
>
> application/octet-stream
>
> extensions pdf
>
> application path to the file that reads pdf file

See note #3 below.

#1. It would be good if you could provide the full actual error message,
which has a bit more information (including a MIME type) and looks
something like this:
example screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_7qg8bhlt_1_agent_unable-to-launch-attachment.png>

If you don't want to type out the full actual error message, then upload
a screen-shot to <https://imgur.com/> or <http://www.imagetitan.com/>
and post the link here. (I don't see image attachments posted in text
newsgroups like this one.)

#2. It would also be good if you could provide the attachment's properties
from the message index:
2.1 Select the message containing the PDF attachment
2.2 Go to Message >> Index
2.3 In the 'Items' box, select the row for the PDF attachment.
2.4 Below the items box will be a list of properties of the
selected row (the row for the PDF attachment).
For this problem, the most important properties are:
i) 'Type'
ii) 'Encoding'
iii) The file extension (which I presume is .pdf)

example screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_7qg8bhlt_2_agent_attachment_properties.png>

#3 It would be good to see the actual command line which you entered in
the 'application' box.
3.1 Does the application path contain spaces?
3.2 If so, are there "quote marks" around the application path?
3.3 Is there a "%1" after the application path?

example screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_7qg8bhlt_3_agent_mime-types_settings.png>

#4 Win ten has changed how file associations are stored in the Windows
registry. Win ten will work OK because win ten knows to look for the
new registry settings for PDF file association.
(a) If both the new Win ten registry settings for PDF files AND the old
registry settings are set, then programs like Agent can also find the
PDF association.
(b) If only the new Win ten registry settings are set for PDF files,
then applications like Agent may not find the PDF association in
the Windows registry.
There are two ways to fix this
* Either, add the old registry settings to the Windows registry
* Or, (easier) add the association in Agent's MIME types.

So far I have insufficient information to know why your update
to Agent's MIME types is not working.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🔮🔭🔎🔬

Re: pdf

<dffcbh1hjnl00o76h9osa06768bo8suf16@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4252&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4252

From: hope@hope.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 00:26:24 +0100
 by: hope@hope.com - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 23:26 UTC

On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 18:21:03 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 11:54:35 +0100, hope@hope.com wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I have a problem with pdf files not opening the program that is the default on windows ten from
>> forte \agent
>>
>> I right click on the attachment and say launch, a box comes saying no mime is associated with this
>> file.
>
>See note #1 below.
>Also see note #2 below.
>
>> I then go to tool/options/mime types and look at application/octet-stream the default is pdf
>>
>> I have set the default apps to the pdf reader in win ten so that is working all okay
>
>See note #4 below.
>
>> the next thing I did was to set the path to the file in application/octet-stream
>>
>> application/octet-stream
>>
>> extensions pdf
>>
>> application path to the file that reads pdf file
>
>See note #3 below.
>
>> B UT nothing that I have done will let agent open a pdf file , always get that error no mime etc
>>
>> please help
>>
>> dumb blond
>

> #1. It would be good if you could provide the full actual error message,
> which has a bit more information (including a MIME type) and looks
> something like this:
> example screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_7qg8bhlt_1_agent_unable-to-launch-attachment.png>

"there is no application associated with mime type application/pdf
filename: `117557045ts.pdf

Much the same for all pdf attachments

> If you don't want to type out the full actual error message, then upload
> a screen-shot to <https://imgur.com/> or <http://www.imagetitan.com/>
> and post the link here. (I don't see image attachments posted in text
> newsgroups like this one.)
>

> #2. It would also be good if you could provide the attachment's properties
> from the message index:
> 2.1 Select the message containing the PDF attachment
> 2.2 Go to Message >> Index
> 2.3 In the 'Items' box, select the row for the PDF attachment.
> 2.4 Below the items box will be a list of properties of the
> selected row (the row for the PDF attachment).
> For this problem, the most important properties are:
> i) 'Type'
> ii) 'Encoding'
> iii) The file extension (which I presume is .pdf)

This is what I get

'Type' "application/pdf"
disposition "inline"
saved as "not saved"
length "35.5 Kbytes"
'Encoding' base64
The file extension (which I presume is .pdf) YES
> example screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_7qg8bhlt_2_agent_attachment_properties.png>
>

> #3 It would be good to see the actual command line which you entered in
> the 'application' box.
> 3.1 Does the application path contain spaces?
> 3.2 If so, are there "quote marks" around the application path?
> 3.3 Is there a "%1" after the application path?
>
> example screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_7qg8bhlt_3_agent_mime-types_settings.png>
C:\User\HP Laptop\AppData\Local\SumatraPDF.exe

=======================================

> #4 Win ten has changed how file associations are stored in the Windows
> registry. Win ten will work OK because win ten knows to look for the
> new registry settings for PDF file association.
> (a) If both the new Win ten registry settings for PDF files AND the old
> registry settings are set, then programs like Agent can also find the
> PDF association.
> (b) If only the new Win ten registry settings are set for PDF files,
> then applications like Agent may not find the PDF association in
> the Windows registry.
> There are two ways to fix this
> * Either, add the old registry settings to the Windows registry
> * Or, (easier) add the association in Agent's MIME types.
settings in mime types
application/octet-stream pdf SumatraPDF

If I select the pdf attachment then select launch under the box that comes up "unable to launch
attachment" then select "select application" then go to where the file is to launch the pdf file
then select it . then say open I get this error

"unable to execute command c:\user\hp
laptop\appdata\local\sumatraPDF.exe
c:\user\HPLAPT~1\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\INVOICE90024(1).PDF

=======================================

> So far I have insufficient information to know why your update
> to Agent's MIME types is not working.

Hope I have given what you wanted Ralph.

ONCE again thank you for your help on this

BTW Ana Beck just emailed me because Did say to her what a fantastic job you do with Forte Agent
and she said yes she does know all about your support on this and thanks you very much.

dumb blond

Re: pdf

<ahtcbhdi2fdb0dstblsov7thri2suu5oui@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4253&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4253

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 15:26:13 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 03:26 UTC

On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 00:26:24 +0100, hope@hope.com wrote:
> [...]
> settings in mime types
> application/octet-stream pdf SumatraPDF

> If I select the pdf attachment then select launch under the box that comes up "unable to launch
> attachment" then select "select application" then go to where the file is to launch the pdf file
> then select it . then say open I get this error
>
> "unable to execute command c:\user\hp
> laptop\appdata\local\sumatraPDF.exe
> c:\user\HPLAPT~1\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\INVOICE90024(1).PDF
>

> =======================================
>
>> So far I have insufficient information to know why your update
>> to Agent's MIME types is not working.
>

> Hope I have given what you wanted Ralph.
>
> ONCE again thank you for your help on this
>
> BTW Ana Beck just emailed me because Did say to her what a fantastic job you do with Forte Agent
> and she said yes she does know all about your support on this and thanks you very much.

To get it working, do this:

I. Go to "Tools >> Options >> URL and MIME Settings >> MIME Types"

II. Remove the file extension pdf from MIME type application/octet-stream
and put the file extension pdf on MIME type application/pdf

If the MIME Types panel does not already have a MIME type application/pdf
then you first need to add the MIME type application/pdf:
i) Click the button "Add..."
ii) In the 'Type:' box, enter: application
iii) In the 'Subtype:' box, enter: pdf
iv) Click 'OK'

III. Remove the path to SumatraPDF from MIME type application/octet-stream
and put the path on MIME type application/pdf

Both the error message in #1 and the attachment properties in #2 say the
MIME Type is application/pdf, not application/octet-stream.
When the encoding is 'base64', you have to go with what they say.

IV. In application/pdf, fix up the path to SumatraPDF so it has "quote marks"
around it. The path to SumatraPDF contains spaces, and needs quote marks
around it like this (including the "quote marks"):

"C:\User\HP Laptop\AppData\Local\SumatraPDF.exe"

This is to fix the error which says, unable to execute command c:\user\hp

V. In application/pdf, add a space and a "%1" including the quote marks)
after the path to SumatraPDF. The result should look like this
(including all four " quote marks):

"C:\User\HP Laptop\AppData\Local\SumatraPDF.exe" "%1"

This lets it handle launching when the full path to the PDF file
also contains spaces.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Gif ðu hwæt on druncen misdo, ne wit ðu hit ðam ealoþe.

Re: pdf

<grmdbhhjt9nsklrcv9a5301olkfs1nja8f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4254&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4254

From: hope@hope.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 11:01:26 +0100
 by: hope@hope.com - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 10:01 UTC

On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 15:26:13 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:
>To get it working, do this:
>
> I. Go to "Tools >> Options >> URL and MIME Settings >> MIME Types"
>
> II. Remove the file extension pdf from MIME type application/octet-stream
> and put the file extension pdf on MIME type application/pdf
>
> If the MIME Types panel does not already have a MIME type application/pdf
> then you first need to add the MIME type application/pdf:
> i) Click the button "Add..."
> ii) In the 'Type:' box, enter: application
> iii) In the 'Subtype:' box, enter: pdf
> iv) Click 'OK'
>
> III. Remove the path to SumatraPDF from MIME type application/octet-stream
> and put the path on MIME type application/pdf
>
> Both the error message in #1 and the attachment properties in #2 say the
> MIME Type is application/pdf, not application/octet-stream.
> When the encoding is 'base64', you have to go with what they say.
>
> IV. In application/pdf, fix up the path to SumatraPDF so it has "quote marks"
> around it. The path to SumatraPDF contains spaces, and needs quote marks
> around it like this (including the "quote marks"):
>
> "C:\User\HP Laptop\AppData\Local\SumatraPDF.exe"
>
> This is to fix the error which says, unable to execute command c:\user\hp
>
> V. In application/pdf, add a space and a "%1" including the quote marks)
> after the path to SumatraPDF. The result should look like this
> (including all four " quote marks):
>
> "C:\User\HP Laptop\AppData\Local\SumatraPDF.exe" "%1"
>
> This lets it handle launching when the full path to the PDF file
> also contains spaces.
Hi Ralph,

Thank you for a very much for a very detailed answer

Sorry to say it did not work.
BUT looking at your comments about paths etc I did this

Click here to read the complete article
Re: pdf

<ta1uqf$3p5ic$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4261&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4261

From: snetram@sympatico.ca (Arno Martens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 14:10:04 -0400
 by: Arno Martens - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 18:10 UTC

Sat, 25 Jun 2022 11:01:26 +0100, hope@hope.com, wrote:

> [...]
>> around it like this (including the "quote marks"):
>>
>> "C:\User\HP Laptop\AppData\Local\SumatraPDF.exe"
>>
>> This is to fix the error which says, unable to execute command c:\user\hp
>>
>> V. In application/pdf, add a space and a "%1" including the quote marks)
>> after the path to SumatraPDF. The result should look like this
>> (including all four " quote marks):
>>
>> "C:\User\HP Laptop\AppData\Local\SumatraPDF.exe" "%1"
>>
>> This lets it handle launching when the full path to the PDF file
>> also contains spaces.
>Hi Ralph,
>
>Thank you for a very much for a very detailed answer
>
>Sorry to say it did not work.
>BUT looking at your comments about paths etc I did this
>
>I RENAMED the user folder and user name from HP Laptop to HPLaptop IE
>took out the space, BINGO it now finds the "SumatraPDF.exe"

<pu49chpk3qtc000ume0pd5i2rl9gl6skg1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4262&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4262

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 15:54:43 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 19:54 UTC

On Tue, 05 Jul 2022 14:10:04 -0400, Arno Martens <snetram@sympatico.ca>
declaimed the following:

>After innumerous years, after seeing the advice from Ralph, I have been using
>Type/Subtype Extensions Application
>application/pdf pdf Acrobat {Reader} {DC} {= latest versions)
>and as "Extension: Application:"
>*C:\Program Files (x86)\Acrobat\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe* *%1*
>and Right Click | Launch would open the PDF.

<SNIP>

>I made changes to the Extension:, Application:

Your first line of attack should have been to VERIFY THE PATH for
Acrobat Reader DC. My system shows:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.1766]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Wulfraed>assoc .pdf
..pdf=Acrobat.Document.DC

C:\Users\Wulfraed>ftype acrobat.document.dc
acrobat.document.dc="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe"
"%1"

C:\Users\Wulfraed>

And there is the command line to use to launch a PDF file...

Your path is pointing to a 32-bit version of Reader... But it appears
that Adobe's automatic updates have changed it (on my machine) to a 64-bit
version with a different name, and stored in the 64-bit "Program Files".
Note: that change took place ages ago -- I found that in my January 10 full
system backup, so it happened before January!

>*C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe* *%1*
>and it now reads
>Type/Subtype Extensions Application
>application/pdf pdf Firefox
>and there are no more problems opening a pdf in the customary manner.

Intriguing -- since my Firefox handles PDFs by "always ask" with the
default being "use Windows default application"

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: pdf

<taelll$1d317$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4266&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4266

From: snetram@sympatico.ca (Arno Martens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 09:53:56 -0400
 by: Arno Martens - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 13:53 UTC

Tue, 05 Jul 2022 15:54:43 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>,
wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>>*C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe* *%1*
>>and it now reads
>>Type/Subtype Extensions Application
>>application/pdf pdf Firefox
>>and there are no more problems opening a pdf in the customary manner.
>
> Intriguing -- since my Firefox handles PDFs by "always ask" with the
>default being "use Windows default application"

That is becauce you are using
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe"