From: rich.ulrich@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: about hash code collisions
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:02:39 -0400
 by: Rich Ulrich - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 17:02 UTC

Is there a better way to recover the post?

It's happened before, and it happened again - Agent does
not show me my own message, which someone else has
responded to. When I Reveal their headings and launch the
URL, Agent shows me a post (of mine) from years ago.

I assume that this has to do with the hash-code collisions
that have been mentioned. The messages have different
message-ids, written out long, but I assume that Agent is
working from an internal, hash-coded version, and retrieves
the old one.

This time, I managed a recovery, of sorts. I found the post
in my Sent messages. I fiddled around, but I think that what
worked was to Copy the message, to the alt.usage.english
folder. It showed up under the right thread, though with
today's date, marked by a pencil(?) in the margin, with the
Sender written as To: alt.usage.english.

What would be nicer is if there is a way to get Agent to
download the specific message, with its original date.

Can that be done?

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: about hash code collisions

<gs9gahh7bna560ef0qf2490678v0bsunvb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4236&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4236

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: about hash code collisions
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 19:03:22 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 07:03 UTC

On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:02:39 -0400, Rich Ulrich wrote:

> Is there a better way to recover the post?
>
> It's happened before, and it happened again - Agent does
> not show me my own message, which someone else has
> responded to. When I Reveal their headings and launch the
> URL, Agent shows me a post (of mine) from years ago.
>
> I assume that this has to do with the hash-code collisions
> that have been mentioned. The messages have different
> message-ids, written out long, but I assume that Agent is
> working from an internal, hash-coded version, and retrieves
> the old one.
>
> This time, I managed a recovery, of sorts. I found the post
> in my Sent messages. I fiddled around, but I think that what
> worked was to Copy the message, to the alt.usage.english
> folder. It showed up under the right thread, though with
> today's date, marked by a pencil(?) in the margin, with the
> Sender written as To: alt.usage.english.
>
> What would be nicer is if there is a way to get Agent to
> download the specific message, with its original date.
>
> Can that be done?

When you wrote "Agent shows me a post (of mine) from years ago", I
presume you mean this:
* Agent found a post already in your Agent database and showed it
to you.
and not this:
* Agent downloaded a post from the news server and showed it to you.

You can make Agent not search your Agent database but only download
the specific message by sending the actual message-ID to the server.

1. Go to Tools >> Options >> URL and MIME Settings >> URLs
2. Under "Search for message URLs in", temporarily select
"Current folder Only" and "All News Servers"
3. Go to an empty folder and click 'new email message'
4. Paste the message-ID into the new email body and then
right-click >> Jump to message URL

The email's 'current folder' will be the empty folder so it will
find nothing in that folder and go on to request the message from
your news server(s).

Just be aware of these two things:

I. If the message is cross-posted to two or more groups,
Agent will put the downloaded message into the first
group in the "Newsgroups:" header which you also have.
This may not be the group you are interested in.

2. If you already have the same message in your Agent database,
Agent will discard the downloaded message but it will not
tell you where the same message is in your Agent database.

FYI I have tested Agent's 'Jump to message URL' using a message-ID
(not in my Agent database) that had the same hash as another
message-ID in my database. The search returned a 'not found'.
The search did not find the other message-ID with the same hash.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

‘Este bueþ oune brondes;’
Quoþ Hendyng.

Re: about hash code collisions

<qoehahdo0jeqbbjgltg68im9d0kskkfmqa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4237&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4237

From: rich.ulrich@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 12:54:22 -0400
 by: Rich Ulrich - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:54 UTC

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 19:03:22 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:02:39 -0400, Rich Ulrich wrote:
>
>> Is there a better way to recover the post?
>>
>> It's happened before, and it happened again - Agent does
>> not show me my own message, which someone else has
>> responded to. When I Reveal their headings and launch the
>> URL, Agent shows me a post (of mine) from years ago.
>>
>> I assume that this has to do with the hash-code collisions
>> that have been mentioned. The messages have different
>> message-ids, written out long, but I assume that Agent is
>> working from an internal, hash-coded version, and retrieves
>> the old one.
>>
>> This time, I managed a recovery, of sorts. I found the post
>> in my Sent messages. I fiddled around, but I think that what
>> worked was to Copy the message, to the alt.usage.english
>> folder. It showed up under the right thread, though with
>> today's date, marked by a pencil(?) in the margin, with the
>> Sender written as To: alt.usage.english.
>>
>> What would be nicer is if there is a way to get Agent to
>> download the specific message, with its original date.
>>
>> Can that be done?

>When you wrote "Agent shows me a post (of mine) from years ago", I
>presume you mean this:
> * Agent found a post already in your Agent database and showed it
> to you.
>and not this:
> * Agent downloaded a post from the news server and showed it to you.
>

>You can make Agent not search your Agent database but only download
>the specific message by sending the actual message-ID to the server.
>
> 1. Go to Tools >> Options >> URL and MIME Settings >> URLs
> 2. Under "Search for message URLs in", temporarily select
> "Current folder Only" and "All News Servers"
> 3. Go to an empty folder and click 'new email message'
> 4. Paste the message-ID into the new email body and then
> right-click >> Jump to message URL

I think I "launched" it ...

>The email's 'current folder' will be the empty folder so it will
>find nothing in that folder and go on to request the message from
>your news server(s).
>
>Just be aware of these two things:
>
> I. If the message is cross-posted to two or more groups,
> Agent will put the downloaded message into the first
> group in the "Newsgroups:" header which you also have.
> This may not be the group you are interested in.

Ah - I missed this implication about where the message goes.

> 2. If you already have the same message in your Agent database,
> Agent will discard the downloaded message but it will not
> tell you where the same message is in your Agent database.
>

>FYI I have tested Agent's 'Jump to message URL' using a message-ID
>(not in my Agent database) that had the same hash as another
>message-ID in my database. The search returned a 'not found'.
>The search did not find the other message-ID with the same hash.

Okay! Thanks, works great!

Agent put the message in the Folder where it belongs, and not in
the Folder where I clicked on it -- which is not what I expected, but
better, because it saves the step of moving it. I see where it is put
is implied by your note about "two or more groups."

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: about hash code collisions

<3l2jahl0rh8uai6pft9a2npeo0ck07l84i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4240&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4240

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 19:34:27 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 07:34 UTC

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 12:54:22 -0400, Rich Ulrich wrote:

> Okay! Thanks, works great!

Good to hear!

--
Kind regards
Ralph

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: about hash code collisions