The road to hell is paved with NAND gates. -- J. Gooding

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / ATT: Ralph Fox

SubjectAuthor
* ATT: Ralph Foxhsg
`* Re: ATT: Ralph FoxRalph Fox
 +* Re: Re: ATT: Ralph Foxhsg
 |+- Re: ATT: Ralph FoxJim H
 |`* Re: ATT: Ralph FoxThe Horny Goat
 | `* Re: ATT: Ralph FoxKen Blake
 |  `* Re: ATT: Ralph FoxThe Horny Goat
 |   `- Re: ATT: Ralph FoxKen Blake
 `- Re: ATT: Ralph FoxLorenz

1
ATT: Ralph Fox

<k7o8ah16b8avdsm7tuhua6s09g5v6msgll@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4230&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4230

From: hsg@h-gee.co.uk
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: ATT: Ralph Fox
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 10:37:19 +0100
 by: hsg@h-gee.co.uk - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 09:37 UTC

Ralph,

You helped before on this and wondered if I could trouble you again?

For a few years I have managed to get my gmail using Agent with no problems
I have also arranged "forwarding" from gmail and a couple of Google groups
to my Agent accounts but suddenly last Monday that all stopped and although
I have reset the forwarding of gmail to my personal Agent email account
Agent keeps telling me that gmail doesn't recognize my email or my password
yet I can log into gmail without any problem.

Any ideas doc?

Hugh
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen
hsg@h-gee.co.uk
Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

https://www.avg.com

Re: ATT: Ralph Fox

<8qp8ah9sh2l9a6m0v0kaiggehsok7nad0k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4231&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4231

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: ATT: Ralph Fox
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 22:05:52 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 10:05 UTC

On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 10:37:19 +0100, hsg@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> You helped before on this and wondered if I could trouble you again?
>
> For a few years I have managed to get my gmail using Agent with no problems
> I have also arranged "forwarding" from gmail and a couple of Google groups
> to my Agent accounts but suddenly last Monday that all stopped and although
> I have reset the forwarding of gmail to my personal Agent email account
> Agent keeps telling me that gmail doesn't recognize my email or my password
> yet I can log into gmail without any problem.
>
> Any ideas doc?

Here is the announcement from Google/Gmail

"Less secure apps & your Google Account"
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To help keep your account secure, from May 30, 2022, Google no longer
supports the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign
in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For Agent, you will need to get an 'app password' from Google and use that
in Agent in place of your main Google account password.

Instructions for getting an 'app password' are here:

"Sign in with App Passwords"
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

‘Þat me lutel ȝeueþ, he my lyf ys on;’
Quoþ Hendyng.

Re: Re: ATT: Ralph Fox

<402eahh8ma26c4pmffq4rpr6ppt593cea7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4233&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4233

From: hsg@h-gee.co.uk
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Re: ATT: Ralph Fox
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:00:14 +0100
 by: hsg@h-gee.co.uk - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:00 UTC

Thanks for that info Ralph but the process is very hit and miss - miss most
of the time as they obviously don't want anyone to find the settings or use
it.

Another question I always ask people and companies - why do you expect me
to have only one computer that I use for everything? I am using one
computer for running an ebay business on with no access to email except
ebay messaging so don't send me an email on how to change something when
all I have is an outgoing email to inform customers of delivery etc.

And the big one is why do people think that your computers, printers TV etc
are actually standing next to your router?

When the TV drops it's Internet and satellite connection and I call the
customer help line I start to enter a marathon of running up and down
stairs to reset the fiber router then enter passwords to screen apps - all
this technology is supposed to make life easier????

Hugh

On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 22:05:52 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 10:37:19 +0100, hsg@h-gee.co.uk wrote:
>
>> Ralph,
>>
>> You helped before on this and wondered if I could trouble you again?
>>
>> For a few years I have managed to get my gmail using Agent with no problems
>> I have also arranged "forwarding" from gmail and a couple of Google groups
>> to my Agent accounts but suddenly last Monday that all stopped and although
>> I have reset the forwarding of gmail to my personal Agent email account
>> Agent keeps telling me that gmail doesn't recognize my email or my password
>> yet I can log into gmail without any problem.
>>
>> Any ideas doc?
>

>Here is the announcement from Google/Gmail
>
> "Less secure apps & your Google Account"
> <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255>
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> To help keep your account secure, from May 30, 2022, Google no longer
> supports the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign
> in to your Google Account using only your username and password.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

>For Agent, you will need to get an 'app password' from Google and use that
>in Agent in place of your main Google account password.
>
>Instructions for getting an 'app password' are here:
>
> "Sign in with App Passwords"
> <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833>

https://www.avg.com

Re: ATT: Ralph Fox

<js4eahlt921mee7akmo2htfehg4fvqhmeo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4234&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4234

From: lorenznl@yahoo.com (Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:40:09 +0000
 by: Lorenz - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:40 UTC

Ralph Fox wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 10:37:19 +0100, hsg@h-gee.co.uk wrote:
>
>> Ralph,
>>
>> You helped before on this and wondered if I could trouble you again?
>>
>> For a few years I have managed to get my gmail using Agent with no problems
>> I have also arranged "forwarding" from gmail and a couple of Google groups
>> to my Agent accounts but suddenly last Monday that all stopped and although
>> I have reset the forwarding of gmail to my personal Agent email account
>> Agent keeps telling me that gmail doesn't recognize my email or my password
>> yet I can log into gmail without any problem.
>>
>> Any ideas doc?
>

>Here is the announcement from Google/Gmail
>
> "Less secure apps & your Google Account"
> <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255>
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> To help keep your account secure, from May 30, 2022, Google no longer
> supports the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign
> in to your Google Account using only your username and password.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

>For Agent, you will need to get an 'app password' from Google and use that
>in Agent in place of your main Google account password.
>
>Instructions for getting an 'app password' are here:
>
> "Sign in with App Passwords"
> <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833>

be aware then a pp passwords only are available when 2FA is activated
for the account
--

Lorenz

Re: ATT: Ralph Fox

<hacmahd6bv64djtcerj10qj1u3b8a2pble@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4243&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4243

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Jim H)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Sender: Jim Higgins <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:58:27 +0000
 by: Jim H - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:58 UTC

On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:00:14 +0100, in
<402eahh8ma26c4pmffq4rpr6ppt593cea7@4ax.com>, hsg@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

>Another question I always ask people and companies - why do you expect me
>to have only one computer that I use for everything? I am using one
>computer for running an ebay business on with no access to email except
>ebay messaging so don't send me an email on how to change something when
>all I have is an outgoing email to inform customers of delivery etc.

OMG, do you mean they don't read minds and as a result wind up sending
email to the address that's on email you send them from an address
that only sends mail? If not that, what do you mean?

They don't think you have one computer that does everything, They just
need you to be near the one with the capabilities and information you
need when you contact them.

>And the big one is why do people think that your computers, printers TV etc
>are actually standing next to your router?

They don't think that at all. They just need you to perform certain
functions with your router. They have no control, and couldn't care
less, where you decided to place everything. Now do they wonder why
you make it so hard on yourself? When the delay and aggravation is
obvious, you bet they do.

>When the TV drops it's Internet and satellite connection and I call the
>customer help line I start to enter a marathon of running up and down
>stairs to reset the fiber router then enter passwords to screen apps - all
>this technology is supposed to make life easier????

Someone can work in say Atlanta, GA, but choose to live in Columbia,
SC... and that decision will result in a 5 hour commute. You pays your
money and you makes your choice.

Pogo once said... "We have met the enemy and he is us."

There is a very understandable futility to certain complaining. The
simple fact is that half the people you complain to don't care... and
the other half think you deserve everything you're getting. The latter
half can be reduced considerably by not making your own contribution
to the problem so apparent.

--
Jim H

Re: ATT: Ralph Fox

<d963ehl9jlm48341pngcf6m7lf6ghlpp4f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4331&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4331

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:14:51 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:14 UTC

On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:00:14 +0100, hsg@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

>When the TV drops it's Internet and satellite connection and I call the
>customer help line I start to enter a marathon of running up and down
>stairs to reset the fiber router then enter passwords to screen apps - all
>this technology is supposed to make life easier????

In my case my cable company asked me where I would like to enter the
house and I gave them the back wall of the house where my office was
(later my daughter's bedroom when she got tired of sharing with her
sister - which which is now mostly unoccupied as she's relocated to
the UK).

My new location is only 10' through a closet wall and I later got them
to relocate the outdoor connection so it's just adjacent to my
computer desk meaning if I stick my elbow out I can touch the router.

(I recently relocated a phone but no closer outlet is available so I
connected it from the next room with 3 - 25' extension phone cables
daisy chained together thereby making the phone location convenient
for me as opposed to the person it was set up for but no longer lives
here...)

Re: ATT: Ralph Fox

<ecc5ehhphqvl3kiakp9i353abab25l2i3v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4332&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4332

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:07:49 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 16:07 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:14:51 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:00:14 +0100, hsg@h-gee.co.uk wrote:
>
>>When the TV drops it's Internet and satellite connection and I call the
>>customer help line I start to enter a marathon of running up and down
>>stairs to reset the fiber router then enter passwords to screen apps - all
>>this technology is supposed to make life easier????
>>
>In my case my cable company asked me where I would like to enter the
>house and I gave them the back wall of the house where my office was

Since I have no magical powers, I never enter my house through a wall,
back wall or any other. <G>

I always enter either through the front door or the garage.

>(later my daughter's bedroom when she got tired of sharing with her
>sister - which which is now mostly unoccupied as she's relocated to
>the UK).
>
>My new location is only 10' through a closet wall and I later got them
>to relocate the outdoor connection so it's just adjacent to my
>computer desk meaning if I stick my elbow out I can touch the router.

I use a cable modem, and the modem is connected to a cable TV outlet
just down the wall from where the modem sits on my computer desk. The
modem is connected to a router that sits next to it on my desk.

Since you said "router," not "modem," my guess is that you have a
combination router/modem. As with almost any kind of device, I'm
against combination units. I don't want to have to replace both the
modem and he router if one of them dies. Moreover, I want to select
what I consider to be the best of each type without having to deal
with compromises because two different devices are in the same box.

>(I recently relocated a phone but no closer outlet is available so I
>connected it from the next room with 3 - 25' extension phone cables
>daisy chained together thereby making the phone location convenient
>for me as opposed to the person it was set up for but no longer lives
>here...)

I use a VoIP service which works through an OBI100 which also sits
next to my router on my desk.

Re: ATT: Ralph Fox

<n7g7hh5g9i4lausk1s8uljuafas4n761t4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4403&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4403

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 14:06:15 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 21:06 UTC

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:07:49 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:14:51 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:00:14 +0100, hsg@h-gee.co.uk wrote:
>>
>>>When the TV drops it's Internet and satellite connection and I call the
>>>customer help line I start to enter a marathon of running up and down
>>>stairs to reset the fiber router then enter passwords to screen apps - all
>>>this technology is supposed to make life easier????
>>>
>>In my case my cable company asked me where I would like to enter the
>>house and I gave them the back wall of the house where my office was
>
>Since I have no magical powers, I never enter my house through a wall,
>back wall or any other. <G>
>
>I always enter either through the front door or the garage.

Doh! I meant of course where the coax connection entered the house!
(Guess the joke is on me...)

>>(later my daughter's bedroom when she got tired of sharing with her
>>sister - which which is now mostly unoccupied as she's relocated to
>>the UK).
>>
>>My new location is only 10' through a closet wall and I later got them
>>to relocate the outdoor connection so it's just adjacent to my
>>computer desk meaning if I stick my elbow out I can touch the router.
>

>I use a cable modem, and the modem is connected to a cable TV outlet
>just down the wall from where the modem sits on my computer desk. The
>modem is connected to a router that sits next to it on my desk.
>
>Since you said "router," not "modem," my guess is that you have a
>combination router/modem. As with almost any kind of device, I'm
>against combination units. I don't want to have to replace both the
>modem and he router if one of them dies. Moreover, I want to select
>what I consider to be the best of each type without having to deal
>with compromises because two different devices are in the same box.

Yup - It has worked successfully without a hitch at gigabit speeds for
2+ years. It's a wired / wireless unit. Nobody is currently using
wireless in our home but I will be soon when I reactivate my late
wife's iPad.

>>(I recently relocated a phone but no closer outlet is available so I
>>connected it from the next room with 3 - 25' extension phone cables
>>daisy chained together thereby making the phone location convenient
>>for me as opposed to the person it was set up for but no longer lives
>>here...)
>
>I use a VoIP service which works through an OBI100 which also sits
>next to my router on my desk.

Re: ATT: Ralph Fox

<fsh7hhdik4084d83hc5eguqbt4qbsv5o0c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4404&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4404

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 14:33:25 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 21:33 UTC

On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 14:06:15 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:07:49 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:14:51 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>>wrote:

>>>In my case my cable company asked me where I would like to enter the
>>>house and I gave them the back wall of the house where my office was
>>
>>Since I have no magical powers, I never enter my house through a wall,
>>back wall or any other. <G>
>>
>>I always enter either through the front door or the garage.
>
>Doh! I meant of course where the coax connection entered the house!
>(Guess the joke is on me...)
>

>>>(later my daughter's bedroom when she got tired of sharing with her
>>>sister - which which is now mostly unoccupied as she's relocated to
>>>the UK).
>>>
>>>My new location is only 10' through a closet wall and I later got them
>>>to relocate the outdoor connection so it's just adjacent to my
>>>computer desk meaning if I stick my elbow out I can touch the router.
>>

>>I use a cable modem, and the modem is connected to a cable TV outlet
>>just down the wall from where the modem sits on my computer desk. The
>>modem is connected to a router that sits next to it on my desk.
>>
>>Since you said "router," not "modem," my guess is that you have a
>>combination router/modem. As with almost any kind of device, I'm
>>against combination units. I don't want to have to replace both the
>>modem and he router if one of them dies. Moreover, I want to select
>>what I consider to be the best of each type without having to deal
>>with compromises because two different devices are in the same box.
>
>Yup - It has worked successfully without a hitch at gigabit speeds for
>2+ years.

Glad to hear it, but my point is that there are no guarantees. Things
do fail, sooner or later.